Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fed. Flood Insurance Tanks

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Fed. Flood Insurance Tanks Empty Fed. Flood Insurance Tanks 11/13/2012, 10:04 am

Bluebonnet

$3.5B in revenues, $17B in the hole. Looks like a major overhaul is in the works. Good article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/13/nyregion/federal-flood-insurance-program-faces-new-stress.html?hp

2Fed. Flood Insurance Tanks Empty Re: Fed. Flood Insurance Tanks 11/13/2012, 10:38 am

2seaoat

I have argued that the insurance program should be overhauled. First, every property is registered in an identified floodplain. A person can purchase flood insurance, but they will have to buy a secondary private sector insurance policy to supplement their primary federal flood insurance. The first loss will only pay 75% of any loss and supplemental insurance will have to pay the last 25%. A second loss on the property in any amount will reduce the claim to 50% coverage of actual damage, and the balance will have to be covered by supplemental insurance. The third loss will only cover 25% of the damage, and from that point on.....only 25% of future damage with the gap requiring market rate flood insurance.....it will take about 50 years, but the problem will be solved. People will not be able to retain ownership of structures in high risk areas without paying the real societal cost. Problem solved.

3Fed. Flood Insurance Tanks Empty Re: Fed. Flood Insurance Tanks 11/13/2012, 5:11 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

2seaoat wrote:I have argued that the insurance program should be overhauled. First, every property is registered in an identified floodplain. A person can purchase flood insurance, but they will have to buy a secondary private sector insurance policy to supplement their primary federal flood insurance. The first loss will only pay 75% of any loss and supplemental insurance will have to pay the last 25%. A second loss on the property in any amount will reduce the claim to 50% coverage of actual damage, and the balance will have to be covered by supplemental insurance. The third loss will only cover 25% of the damage, and from that point on.....only 25% of future damage with the gap requiring market rate flood insurance.....it will take about 50 years, but the problem will be solved. People will not be able to retain ownership of structures in high risk areas without paying the real societal cost. Problem solved.

Excellent points. You build or buy on a barrier island, YOU assume the cost and associated risk.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

4Fed. Flood Insurance Tanks Empty Re: Fed. Flood Insurance Tanks 11/13/2012, 7:41 pm

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
2seaoat wrote:I have argued that the insurance program should be overhauled. First, every property is registered in an identified floodplain. A person can purchase flood insurance, but they will have to buy a secondary private sector insurance policy to supplement their primary federal flood insurance. The first loss will only pay 75% of any loss and supplemental insurance will have to pay the last 25%. A second loss on the property in any amount will reduce the claim to 50% coverage of actual damage, and the balance will have to be covered by supplemental insurance. The third loss will only cover 25% of the damage, and from that point on.....only 25% of future damage with the gap requiring market rate flood insurance.....it will take about 50 years, but the problem will be solved. People will not be able to retain ownership of structures in high risk areas without paying the real societal cost. Problem solved.

Excellent points. You build or buy on a barrier island, YOU assume the cost and associated risk.

Hallelujah. I posted not long ago about a friend of my sister's who pretty much rebuilt one of his beach houses three times after major flooding. I view it as grossly unfair that flood insurance is so inexpensive compared to homeowners' insurance. Heck, I would have been better off had I bought an unstilted house on the beach rather than one on an inland hill. Evil or Very Mad

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum