Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Will the Supreme Court allow genetic material to be patented?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/15/17723531-can-human-genes-be-patented-supreme-court-weighs-genetic-test?lite

This is a tough issue. On one hand money is pouring into research which can help people, and on the other, it can make treatment more expensive. I get a kick out of the company arguing that the 3k test is no big deal because medicare , medicaid, and private insurance pay for the same......right, and who exactly pays for those programs?

I see this a lot in molecular pathology. Its not really a patent on a human gene, like of course other people have this gene. Its a patent so other companies cant develop targeted test toward the gene they discovered which is associated with certain disease processes.

There are a lot of antibodies that are used in multiple test that the companies that developed them have sole use of them.

Id hope that they could figure out a way to allow other companies to offer a "generic" type test. But I do understand why these companies want a patent on their research/test. Its what they worked for and they are trying to protect it.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum