Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The latest cable tv news ratings.

4 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

This reveals how the ratings compare for the overall 24 hour day and for the morning shows, the 5PM slot, and primetime. And it breaks down the ratings three ways to measure the audience size by age group.
The whole audience regardless of age (referred to as "P2), 25-54 and 35-64.
The latter two have to do with what appeals to advertisers, but I have no idea why they make the distinction between 25-54 and 35-64. But it does tell me that since I'm now 64, I only have a few more months until I don't matter anymore.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/04/05/cable-news-ratings-for-thursday-april-4-2013/176642/

As expected, Fox News Channel continues to crush everything else in the competition. Fox n Friends (gag) crushes all the competition for the morning audience, "The Five" eviscerates everything else at 5PM. And of course O'Reilly continues to totally dominate in primetime.

But what's interesting is, HLN (Headline News) is now the runner-up, leaving CNN and MSNBC in the dust behind it. Even in primetime.

The latest cable tv news ratings. Bull_s10

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

By the way, most of the audience for this stuff doesn't really understand what it really is all about. It appears to be about whether Obama is the greatest or worst president in history. That is the overriding theme of the content.
But what the whole dog and pony show is truly about, is the BUSINESS of television. Just as it was true in the days of P.T. Barnum. What Barnum was really about was not the oddities and freaks he exhibited, he was really about business (making money).
And of course the same is true of "cable news" television.

If you really want to appreciate that, all you need do is read over this web page. It reveals that commercial television is all about one thing, and that is how to turn viewers into profits. The commercial television industry is now as sophisticated as any commercial enterprise in existence.
This page (from The Cable Television Advertising Bureau) reveals that more than anything else I've ever encountered.

http://www.thecab.tv/main/resources/mathGlossary/audience-measures-and-for.shtml

Last edited by Bob on 4/7/2013, 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Chrissy wrote:The latest cable tv news ratings. Bull_s10

Please elaborate, Chrissy. Are you saying my putting up this thread is bullshit? Are you saying that the ratings are bullshit? Are you saying that Cable TV news is bullshit? Or are you trying to ruin my appetite for breakfast by making me look at feces coming out of the asshole of a bull? lol

p.s. I really like that picture. I'll be stealing it from you for future use. lol

Bob wrote:
Chrissy wrote:The latest cable tv news ratings. Bull_s10

Please elaborate, Chrissy. Are you saying my putting up this thread is bullshit? Are you saying that the ratings are bullshit? Are you saying that Cable TV news is bullshit? Or are you trying to ruin my appetite for breakfast by making me look at feces coming out of the asshole of a bull? lol

p.s. I really like that picture. I'll be stealing it from you for future use. lol

I am just giving you a summary of what the other posters ill follow up with on this post lol

please do keep the pic, it ill come in handy around here lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Chrissy wrote:

I am just giving you a summary of what the other posters ill follow up with on this post

In other words, I'm guessing what you mean is the liberal posters will say the ratings are bullshit. Probably so. Just as the conservative posters wanna believe the election was rigged and that's the only way obama could have won. lol

But no, the tv ratings are basically pretty accurate. Because the big shitpot full of money advertisers are spending is riding on those ratings. On that account, I feel pretty certain the advertisers go out of their way to ensure the accuracy of it.

Bob wrote:
Chrissy wrote:

I am just giving you a summary of what the other posters ill follow up with on this post

In other words, I'm guessing what you mean is the liberal posters will say the ratings are bullshit. Probably so. Just as the conservative posters wanna believe the election was rigged and that's the only way obama could have won. lol

But no, the tv ratings are basically pretty accurate. Because the big shitpot full of money advertisers are spending is riding on those ratings. On that account, I feel pretty certain the advertisers go out of their way to ensure the accuracy of it.

oh I believe the ratings are accurate. the thing about it that I don't get is this. either there are a lot of liberals who watch fox news or there are a lot of conservatives that don't vote. Im going with the lot of conservatives that don't vote.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

You've asked a really good question, Chrissy. I don't understand what would seem to be that glaring contradiction either.
On the one hand, Obama won handily and we're all hearing about the new demographics of the pro-democrat hispanic population growing.
So why does the cable tv news outfit which most appeals to the aging and declining pro-republican demo still kick everything else's ass in the ratings.
Frankly I don't have a clue why that is.

It could be that the new demo is not watching "cable news" but is instead watching Jon Stewart and cable programming of that kind.
If that is the case then I think it likely that you will see Comcast Cable (the new owner) want to revamp MSNBC into something that can capture that audience.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Bob wrote:You've asked a really good question, Chrissy. I don't understand what would seem to be that glaring contradiction either.
On the one hand, Obama won handily and we're all hearing about the new demographics of the pro-democrat hispanic population growing.
So why does the cable tv news outfit which most appeals to the aging and declining pro-republican demo still kick everything else's ass in the ratings.
Frankly I don't have a clue why that is.

It could be that the new demo is not watching "cable news" but is instead watching Jon Stewart and cable programming of that kind.
If that is the case then I think it likely that you will see Comcast Cable (the new owner) want to revamp MSNBC into something that can capture that audience.
I think the numbers are accurate. I also think fewer people are getting their news from the cable networks. The high numbers for F news are strongly supported by older viewers who also probably still have phone land lines, lol.

Since Obama won handily as you point out this would indicate a break between voter and viewer behavior. If they were parallel then we'd have President Romney, which we thankfully don't have.

You are right that this world of corporate "news" is geared toward profits for advertisers and we can never forget that. The corporations don't care about telling it like it is, they care about profits. Profits depend on the plans of the powers that be and that involves feeding us whatever it takes to support the military/industrial complex and the "health care industry" to name a couple of favorite causes of the corporate world.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

othershoe1030 wrote:

You are right that this world of corporate "news" is geared toward profits for advertisers and we can never forget that. The corporations don't care about telling it like it is, they care about profits. Profits depend on the plans of the powers that be and that involves feeding us whatever it takes to support the military/industrial complex and the "health care industry" to name a couple of favorite causes of the corporate world.[/color]

The four major cable news networks (Fox News, MSNBC, CNN and HLN) are owned, respectively, by News Corp, Comcast Cable and Time-Warner (both CNN and HLN).

News Corp and Time-Warner and Comcast have only media-related assets. Nothing else. That's verified here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assets_owned_by_News_Corporation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assets_owned_by_Time_Warner

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assets_owned_by_Comcast

I'm not sure why any of them would have any allegiance to the "military/industrial" complex. And their only allegiance to the health insurance industry would have the same implications with any other industry, that they sell commercial time to it. But they're not selling it to the health insurance in any more appreciable degree than they sell it to any other industry.

I think the primary motivation for all three is to run any content which will both, one, attract commercial sponsors and, two, increase the price of a given minute of commercial time.
I don't think they have any allegiance to anything except that. I think the only reason Murdoch keeps the tone and format (and content) of Fox News Channel the way it is, is because it works from a business perspective.
Fox News Channel makes him big bucks as it is now and that's all that matters.
In other words, I think if Murdoch felt it would be more profitable to morph Fox News Channel into a "democrat/liberal/fight big business" format, he would do that in a second.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

There's another consideration with "cable tv news" programming in comparison to television programming in general. And it particularly applies to the commentary programs shown in primetime.
Those cable news commentary programs have the lowest production costs in the whole tv industry. It's relatively (compared to other programming) very inexpensive to produce an hour of "talking head" tv.
So even though CNN and MSNBC talking head programs may appear to be unsuccessful because of the ratings comparisons with Fox News, the fact is they can still be very profitable simply because of the low cost required to present this kind of programming.

It's true that FN wins the war of noise, but their golden boyz are all experiencing dramatic drops in viewership.

Hannity's are way off from last year, etc...

VectorMan

VectorMan

Fox pretty much has a monopoly on the conservative cable "news" channels. I don't watch any of it, but I can't think of another main stream media cable channel that's conservative or leans right. That being said, there are many, many liberal cable and network channels. They're a major reason Obama got elected and re-elected. They promoted Obama like he was the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ for his re-election.

VectorMan wrote:Fox pretty much has a monopoly on the conservative cable "news" channels. I don't watch any of it, but I can't think of another main stream media cable channel that's conservative or leans right. That being said, there are many, many liberal cable and network channels. They're a major reason Obama got elected and re-elected. They promoted Obama like he was the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ for his re-election.

LOL. You overlook the fact that a huge segment of the voter's who helped elect Mr. Obama do not get their news from cable, Lib or Con.

How many excuses are there in the never ending list of reasons America elected that commie Muslim from Kenya...?

BTW....I voted for his white half.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

William wrote:It's true that FN wins the war of noise, but their golden boyz are all experiencing dramatic drops in viewership.

Can you link us to your source for that?

Bob wrote:
William wrote:It's true that FN wins the war of noise, but their golden boyz are all experiencing dramatic drops in viewership.

I assumed at least you had already read the article.

Fox News Ratings: Hannity, Van Susteren Plunge To New Lows In Demo

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/02/fox-news-ratings-hannity-van-susteren-worst-demo-ratings_n_3001096.html?ir=Media

William wrote:
Bob wrote:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/02/fox-news-ratings-hannity-van-susteren-worst-demo-ratings_n_3001096.html?ir=Media

So you are going to use a LEFTWING site to show as a source that RIGHTWING shows are losing viewership?

BAHAHAAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHA

PACEDOG#1 wrote:
William wrote:
Bob wrote:

So you are going to use a LEFTWING site to show as a source that RIGHTWING shows are losing viewership?

BAHAHAAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHA

I love these outright barnyard stupid posts from you. They make you seem so sane and stable.

Do continue.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Well I'll be damned.

Here's another report which echoes that one.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/02/01/with-the-fox-news-empire-in-a-ratings-slump-whe/192488

But even those are soft-peddling it believe it or not when you see this.
And this is not an anti-Fox News source like the first two. This is just the Nielsen ratings itself. Scroll down to April 1st. You will see that Rachel Maddow actually beat Hannity (and beat him good) on that night. And Chris Hayes in the 8PM slot essentially tied with O'Reilly.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/category/ratings

No I didn't know this was happening. I knew Fox had slipped but not by this degree.

http://ftvlive.com/todays-news/2013/2/27/fox-news-hannity-in-ratings-freefall

Fox News' Hannity in Ratings Free fall
February 27, 2013/ Scott Jones

Fox News Continues their winning ways in the cable news ratings, but not all is well in Roger's house.

While FNC wins the Feb.book, the big 3 are seeing their ratings headed south. And Sean Hannity is the biggest loser.

Shep Smith, Bill O'Reilly and Hannity all saw huge drops in the demo from the same point in 2012.

Hannity fell a staggering 35 percent from 2012, and O'Reilly fell 26 percent.

It was the two mens' worst performance in the demo since 2006 and 2008, respectively. True, 2012 was an election year — but even though MSNBC hosts Rachel Maddow, Ed Schultz and Chris Matthews also saw their ratings decrease, their ratings fell by much smaller percentages.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Sean Hannity's Ratings Drop Significantly Since November's Election

Read more at http://global.christianpost.com/news/sean-hannitys-ratings-drop-significantly-since-novembers-election-87625/#YfBVftgVyfoeMsiM.99

The decline in viewership for Hannity is being blamed, in part, on his failed analysis of the presidential election, given that he was one of the more vocal opponents of President Obama.

"The going wisdom is that viewers who basked in his preelection anti-Obama rhetoric tuned him out when they were stunned to wake up on Nov. 7 and discover that the President had won a second term - a scenario that Hannity had all but promised could never happen," according to a report in The New York Daily News.

Earlier this week the media ratings company Nielsen reported that Hannity had lost nearly half of his viewership since the results of the election Nov. 7. He has taken the biggest loss in ratings with the coveted 24-54 year-old demographic, which had been one of his strongest viewerships.

One of Hannity's on-air rivals which happens to also share the same time slot is MSNBC's Rachel Maddow, who, according to Nielsen, has seen a slight increase in ratings.
Read more at http://global.christianpost.com/news/sean-hannitys-ratings-drop-significantly-since-novembers-election-87625/#YfBVftgVyfoeMsiM.99

Bob wrote:Well I'll be damned.

Here's another report which echoes that one.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/02/01/with-the-fox-news-empire-in-a-ratings-slump-whe/192488

But even those are soft-peddling it believe it or not when you see this.
And this is not an anti-Fox News source like the first two. This is just the Nielsen ratings itself. Scroll down to April 1st. You will see that Rachel Maddow actually beat Hannity (and beat him good) on that night. And Chris Hayes in the 8PM slot essentially tied with O'Reilly.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/category/ratings

No I didn't know this was happening. I knew Fox had slipped but not by this degree.

They are still the gorilla in the room, but the trending is not good for them. It's still all about the money, and their demo ain't the ones doing the most shopping these days.

I think it's just a matter of time before fox news and right talk radio fail... falling to the pressure that begins with kiddy tv and continues through public govt education. Resistance is futile.

PkrBum wrote:I think it's just a matter of time before fox news and right talk radio fail... falling to the pressure that begins with kiddy tv and continues through public govt education. Resistance is futile.

Is the sand warm on your ears...?

Fox and RW talk radio will die a slow and painful death because their demographic is dying from age related malady.

The futile effort to explain it away as government indoctrination is beneath absurd.

William wrote:
PkrBum wrote:I think it's just a matter of time before fox news and right talk radio fail... falling to the pressure that begins with kiddy tv and continues through public govt education. Resistance is futile.

Is the sand warm on your ears...?

Fox and RW talk radio will die a long and painful death because their demographic is dying from age related malady.

The futile effort to explain it away as government indoctrination is beneath absurd.

My implication was just that... the demographic is on the way out. 20-30 more years should remove any obstacles.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

WEBY has always had one foot in bankruptcy. With only the station owner/host as the one exception, all the other local talk hosts are working without any compensation and even still the station is barely making ends meet. A year or so ago they even started begging for donations from what little audience they have just to keep the thing on the air.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum