Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

It looks like we've all been told a big fat whopper of a lie about Pensacola history.

+2
2seaoat
Hospital Bob
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

2seaoat

I read the intentions of the paragraph......but they have never found a specific location......people scattered.......and the intention was never realized. If it was......show me where, and tell me what was erected which gave any credence to permanency. The folks who came to Pensacola were coming to a specific location, with the intent to build an outpost. They succeeded, and established the first known settlement......not a three month expedition that some heretics claim was the first European settlement which has never been found, and folks just took off......nope......the Vikings spoke of North american settlements, and where exactly was that......sorry Pensacola is certain.........so where is that whopper lie? That vikings or some folks on a busted expedition were first......maybe......but I once drove through Missouri.....show me. You know......rather than wiki.....you can actually get historical accounts of the expedition which may have folks talking about a specific location and shelters being constructed, but the truth is that most accounts will tell you this never happened and they scattered before every complying with the King's license.....but if you show me first hand accounts like there were for Pensacola....I will give your heretics some consideration....but until then....a conclusion without evidence is simply not historically correct. The first hand accounts of the shelters, boats, and stockpiles being destroyed by the hurricane is dead cinch confirmed, and the location is certain........there is not a three hundred mile guessing game, or trying to find non existent buildings and settlement........go to the advanced search of Google and actually get some scholar written accounts of first hand reporting of something other than a scattering slaves, and 300 mile guessing game........nope .....get a shovel and dig a four by four hole in your back yard.....go to Ace Hardware and get a two by four and some screen material.....start sifting the back yard.....ignore T's burial spot.....and look for those first settler's boots and other supplies which blew inland........or you can meet with the Mayor and be committed as a heretic.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:I read the intentions of the paragraph......but they have never found a specific location......people scattered.......and the intention was never realized. If it was......show me where, and tell me what was erected which gave any credence to permanency.

Show me were the Luna expedition "erected something". And the Luna settlers scattered too. And Luna's "intention" was never realized either.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:or you can meet with the Mayor and be committed as a heretic.

I don't care about that punk mayor. But what I am gonna do is put all this in a letter to the editor tomorrow so they can ALL call me a "heretic". lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I bet if I get South Carolina and Georgia in on this debate I can level the playing field. Right now I'm gonna be fighting the Lying er I mean Redneck Riviera all by my lonesome. So I think I'll contact the historians in those two states before I go to the PNJ with it. Now you can REALLY call me a heretic. lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Seaoat,

Read the words on this page after two dates, 1526 and 1559.

http://www.artifacts.org/conquest.htm

The words "colony" and "settlement" are used interchangeably in both entries.
And it's the 1526 entry which refers to "the first European settlement in what is now the United States". Not the 1559 entry.

The semantics argument is losing ground.

2seaoat

You now have a goal for Tuesday.....go to the Wentworth and ask them what if any structures were erected in Pensacola.......we need to get more scholarly and get original sources. I am sure there is information in Spanish, and you can always leave an Email for Earl at the PNJ.....he is like a guru on this stuff.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:You now have a goal for Tuesday.....go to the Wentworth and ask them what if any structures were erected in Pensacola.
As far as I'm aware the only surviving remnants of the Luna expedition/settlement have been found either in archaeological digs or shipwrecks. What exactly do you mean by "structures"?
And how does this have any bearing on the dispute? We have historical records documenting both settlements to the satisfaction of most everyone that both settlements did in fact exist. That one was established here in 1559. And that the other one was established on the Atlantic coast of either what is now present day Georgia or South Carolina in 1526.
So I'm not sure why you keep talking about "structures".

Bob wrote:I bet if I get South Carolina and Georgia in on this debate I can level the playing field. Right now I'm gonna be fighting the Lying er I mean Redneck Riviera all by my lonesome. So I think I'll contact the historians in those two states before I go to the PNJ with it. Now you can REALLY call me a heretic. lol

bob, I dare you to put that in a letter to pnj.

if you do be careful out there, these people are crazy about that fable.

if you post it to the pnj, copy it here, and if you contact Georgia lets say a historical society there, et us know. your going to get the whole damn country in an uproar lol

bob, youll go down in history for setting this whole fable straight. Cool

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Chrissy wrote:

Chrissy, I have complete confidence that before this is over they'll be tearing down that de Luna statute at Palafox Pier and erecting one of me in place of it. And since yelladawg is a fine sculptor I think they should commission him to make the statute. lol

Bob wrote:
Chrissy wrote:

Chrissy, I have complete confidence that before this is over they'll be tearing down that de Luna statute at Palafox Pier and erecting one of me in place of it. And since yelladawg is a fine sculptor I think they should commission him to make the statute. lol
It looks like we've all been told a big fat whopper of a lie about Pensacola history. - Page 3 Eric-morecambe-1

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Hallmarkgrad1 wrote:
It looks like we've all been told a big fat whopper of a lie about Pensacola history. - Page 3 Eric-morecambe-1

I think the correct historical term for that is a "gay cabalero". ROFLMAO

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

2seaoat wrote:I read it.....it was not ever established......there is no location, and three months trying to accomplish the mission is very different than 11 ships being directed to a Specific location where structures were erected and an outpost clearly started.....until a hurricane destroyed the same. This is not even close. All through this country are subdivisions which were platted and planned but never built.......where was this established location......the Historians have a 300 mile range, and clearly three months would not allow building of any settlement, but reflected similar to DeSoto a quest and exploration. One an intent unfufilled, and the other a complete success until a Hurricane. To think you were once a loyal Pensacolian, and now you have lowered yourself to a heretic......challenging God, Country and historical fact. Have you no shame......have you no common decency......the only Lie about Pensacola's first settlers is that their settlement was not permanent........did you never see a five flag parade? Have you abandoned your roots? I am lost for words.

You guys crack me up....thanks for the laugh this morning!

Bob, I've learned a bunch from this thread. Thanks!

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Bob wrote:
2seaoat wrote:or you can meet with the Mayor and be committed as a heretic.

I don't care about that punk mayor.
But what I am gonna do is put all this in a letter to the editor tomorrow so they can ALL call me a "heretic". lol

ROFLMAO! And almost dropped my coffee, too.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

It looks like we've all been told a big fat whopper of a lie about Pensacola history. - Page 3 800px-Downtownpcola

liar liar pants on fire

Yella

Yella

Bob wrote:
Chrissy wrote:

I could do a sculpture similar to this drawing. The title would be,
It looks like we've all been told a big fat whopper of a lie about Pensacola history. - Page 3 Marath11 "The Man who goes either way."

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

That would be great, yella. But I think an even more fitting statute would be to enclose Myrna in a glass case and put her atop a suitable pedestal. lol

p.s. for those who don't know, "Myrna" is a department store mannequin yella has turned into a true work of art. He's promised her to me when she's finished. lol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum