Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Santa Rosa teachers to get raise

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

http://www.pnj.com/

Links only to front page.

It's about time. Teachers have not gotten a raise since about 2008-9. The 3% that was given back when Tricky Rick Scott shafted state workers does not count. Teachers have been working without a planning period during the day for multiple years now. How many of you folks get a 22 minute lunch and no opportunity to even make a head call except for in that 22 minute lunch period daily? The raise was due last Fall and the SRCSB dragged around until the news media, through the teachers who DID the MATH and confronted the "leprechauns guarding the pot of gold at Canal St" , and low and behold now the school board wants to do something about it. It's sad that the school board won't act until the news media gets wind of things inappropriate and then they relent. Admin got three raises in the last two years....some in excess of 12k and they were begruding us our step raises for years of experience with sat evals.

What would be nice is if they would retroactively REPAY the teachers for the money that they should have been getting since the 15 Sept pay period through now.

2seaoat

five years without a raise.....that is tough......but I know civil engineers who have taken a 50% pay cut over the same five years, and they gut it out every day in the free market hoping things will get better, and taking embarrasing second jobs to make ends meet.......but then again they know in the private sector that there will be no safety ring waiting when they jump from the burning window.....the free market system with economic dislocation can be brutal sometimes......and to hear public employees complain....well I am not unsympathetic.....especially about the planning periods because I think kids are being hurt.....but the rest of it.....man up......take a deep breath, and get a second job, or third if necessary. Public payrolls must be reduced, and I certainly hate to see people hurt, but the reality is our economy cannot support the same levels we did twenty years ago when we were wealthy.........

2seaoat wrote:five years without a raise.....that is tough......but I know civil engineers who have taken a 50% pay cut over the same five years, and they gut it out every day in the free market hoping things will get better, and taking embarrasing second jobs to make ends meet.......but then again they know in the private sector that there will be no safety ring waiting when they jump from the burning window.....the free market system with economic dislocation can be brutal sometimes......and to hear public employees complain....well I am not unsympathetic.....especially about the planning periods because I think kids are being hurt.....but the rest of it.....man up......take a deep breath, and get a second job, or third if necessary. Public payrolls must be reduced, and I certainly hate to see people hurt, but the reality is our economy cannot support the same levels we did twenty years ago when we were wealthy.........

Civil engineers didn't start at 19,500 per year to either. Civil engineers generally make 3x that to start. I've worked at Lowe's, Office Depot, at the beach hotels all to supplement my paltry income. I've also coached at the HS level in multiple sports. The only worse job than that is officiating and I've had my hand in that as well. I've worked two and three jobs when you count teaching, coaching and reserves for 20+ years. Tell that to someone else. Been there done that. Public employees in this state had it broke off in them 2.5 years ago and now why is it that Rick Scott wants to give teachers across the state a $2,500 pay raise? I know exactly why. 1) Election year is coming soon. 2) It replaces the money taxed to add to the FRS, which is the most solvent retirement system in the United States.

PACEDOG#1 wrote:http://www.pnj.com/

It's about time. Teachers have not gotten a raise since about 2008-9. The 3% that was given back when Tricky Rick Scott shafted state workers does not count. Teachers have been working without a planning period during the day for multiple years now. How many of you folks get a 22 minute lunch and no opportunity to even make a head call except for in that 22 minute lunch period daily? The raise was due last Fall and the SRCSB dragged around until the news media, through the teachers who DID the MATH and confronted the "leprechauns guarding the pot of gold at Canal St" , and low and behold now the school board wants to do something about it. It's sad that the school board won't act until the news media gets wind of things inappropriate and then they relent. Admin got three raises in the last two years....some in excess of 12k and they were begruding us our step raises for years of experience with sat evals.

What would be nice is if they would retroactively REPAY the teachers for the money that they should have been getting since the 15 Sept pay period through now.

Always whining. You should have chosen a profession that pays more.

You should realize nobody cares what you think.

Markle

Markle

Anyone going into teaching has known what they were getting into for many decades. Don't teachers have 2 1/2 to 3 months off in the Summer and at least a week off for the Christmas holiday?

If someone wanted to earn more money than a teacher, maybe they should have picked something besides the easiest school at any university.

Their choice.

It seems that the teachers are getting a 3 percent raise while the income of the rest of Americans have dropped their largest amount in 20 years thanks to President Barack Hussein Obama. A 3.6% DROP in the income of all other Americans for the month of January.

Markle wrote:

Anyone going into teaching has known what they were getting into for many decades. Don't teachers have 2 1/2 to 3 months off in the Summer and at least a week off for the Christmas holiday?

If someone wanted to earn more money than a teacher, maybe they should have picked something besides the easiest school at any university.

Their choice.

It seems that the teachers are getting a 3 percent raise while the income of the rest of Americans have dropped their largest amount in 20 years thanks to President Barack Hussein Obama. A 3.6% DROP in the income of all other Americans for the month of January.

Summers are never off because you are always working to supplement your income. Teachers have not had a raise that moved them forward on the salary scale in nearly 5 years. In all that time, insurance premiums and deductibles have increased, teachers no longer work without a break during the day with the exception of their 22 minute lunch, we can no longer effectively discipline the students, and we get blamed for Johnny's and Sally's poor SAT and ACT scores when Johnny and Sally refused to take the challenging classes that would have prepared them for said tests. Mom and dad are no better when they don't even have a clue as to what classes their kids are taking or have signed up for in the next school year.

It's crap that we get judged for the aforementioned kid's performance when they do just the minimum to get by with the lowest passing grade possible. Do you work a job where the lowest common denominator gets to actually sign off on 10%(parents 5%, students 5%) of your evaluation each year or are you responsible only for your own performance?

If you think teaching is easy, then where is your teaching degree? Head on over to UWF and try out some of the classes. I'll bet you run back with your tail between your legs. Anyone who would make the statements you do is someone who wouldn't last 5 minutes in a classroom.

Markle

Markle

PACEDOG#1 wrote:
Markle wrote:

Their choice.

Summers are never off because you are always working to supplement your income. Teachers have not had a raise that moved them forward on the salary scale in nearly 5 years. In all that time, insurance premiums and deductibles have increased, teachers no longer work without a break during the day with the exception of their 22 minute lunch, we can no longer effectively discipline the students, and we get blamed for Johnny's and Sally's poor SAT and ACT scores when Johnny and Sally refused to take the challenging classes that would have prepared them for said tests. Mom and dad are no better when they don't even have a clue as to what classes their kids are taking or have signed up for in the next school year.

It's crap that we get judged for the aforementioned kid's performance when they do just the minimum to get by with the lowest passing grade possible. Do you work a job where the lowest common denominator gets to actually sign off on 10%(parents 5%, students 5%) of your evaluation each year or are you responsible only for your own performance?

If you think teaching is easy, then where is your teaching degree? Head on over to UWF and try out some of the classes. I'll bet you run back with your tail between your legs. Anyone who would make the statements you do is someone who wouldn't last 5 minutes in a classroom.

No question, teaching is a tough gig. The government has intentionally usurped the authority of parents making teachers job, in many cases, little more than high paid baby sitters.

No, I did no want a job like that where the lowest common denominator determined my pay grade. (The worst teacher)

I do teach, I teach adults and have for several decades. I am also a professional speaker and present seminars from coast to coast. I would never, ever teach children, I do not have the patience and the pay is insufficient.

PACEDOG#1 wrote:You should realize nobody cares what you think.

I would say the same thing about you. If you're not whining about teacher's pay you're whining about Obama. Does it get you anywhere? LOL!

PACEDOG#1 wrote:
Markle wrote:

Their choice.

You should never have been a teacher.You don't have the personality or attitude. I'm sure your students dislike you very much and that makes teaching all the harder. Get out of it and do something you're more suited to like being a bill collector so you can rage at people for not paying their bills.

Actually, my students can't wait for me to get back. I have several graduating this year and I am going to be at the ceremony. When I deploy I get stacks of mail from my kids too along with goody packages and other assorted things that I share with my troops.

Teachers should not have to live paycheck to paycheck just to provide the basic needs or have something extra to live their lives.

I've got lots of former students who just show up at school and want to talk also. While it can interrupt lessons, they all have the rapt attention of the class and it is one of those teachable moments that occurs when the former student tells the current students that, " _____________ is right when he tells you about life outside of the schoolhouse and you need to learn as much as you can while you are here and do what is asked of you." Those words in itself are better than most any lesson I can teach for a month of school time.

Nah, I'll keep teaching because I know your words are those of someone who has not done two decades plus in the classroom and doesn't understand anything of what happens beyond the classroom door.

Nekochan

Nekochan

I think starting pay for teachers in most places isn't bad. But the pay doesn't increase enough as teachers gain experience. I believe that in most places, a teacher with 10+ years of experience doesn't make that much. I'm also in favor of increasing the number of weeks students are in the classroom. Then maybe people would stop bitching about all the "off' time teachers have and maybe teachers wouldn't have to play catch up for a couple of months every Fall when school starts. There is no good reason today for kids to be out of school for the entire summer. I would like to see a couple of shorter breaks in the year instead of the one long summer break.

But teaching today isn't easy. Teachers get blamed for all kinds of things that they have little or no control over.

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Actually, my students can't wait for me to get back. I have several graduating this year and I am going to be at the ceremony. When I deploy I get stacks of mail from my kids too along with goody packages and other assorted things that I share with my troops.

Teachers should not have to live paycheck to paycheck just to provide the basic needs or have something extra to live their lives.

I've got lots of former students who just show up at school and want to talk also. While it can interrupt lessons, they all have the rapt attention of the class and it is one of those teachable moments that occurs when the former student tells the current students that, " _____________ is right when he tells you about life outside of the schoolhouse and you need to learn as much as you can while you are here and do what is asked of you." Those words in itself are better than most any lesson I can teach for a month of school time.

Nah, I'll keep teaching because I know your words are those of someone who has not done two decades plus in the classroom and doesn't understand anything of what happens beyond the classroom door.

Somehow I find that hard to believe.Every teacher has one or two that like him but you are far too much of an ass w/ your views and comments to be any kind of a mentor.

Dreamsglore wrote:
PACEDOG#1 wrote:Actually, my students can't wait for me to get back. I have several graduating this year and I am going to be at the ceremony. When I deploy I get stacks of mail from my kids too along with goody packages and other assorted things that I share with my troops.

Somehow I find that hard to believe.Every teacher has one or two that like him but you are far too much of an ass w/ your views and comments to be any kind of a mentor.

Thanks and your comments are noted, but interacting with children and interacting with gumby fools is 180 degrees difference.

PACEDOG#1 wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

Thanks and your comments are noted, but interacting with children and interacting with gumby fools is 180 degrees difference.

You kid yourself. An ass is an ass no matter who they interact with.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum