Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Can the Republicans Be Saved From Obsolescence?

+7
NaNook
2seaoat
othershoe1030
Margin Call
polecat
Sal
Floridatexan
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/17/magazine/can-the-republicans-be-saved-from-obsolescence.html?ref=magazine&_r=0

An interesting article and suggests hope for a new resurgence in the Republican party. Even though the article was very unflattering to the young republicans but shows that the party is alive and well and that the youth at least is trying to find out how to get their message across better to people and how to change the image for the better. I applaud them for it and hope that their enthusiasm bears fruit, especially in getting their voice heard among the established old guard.

You can find this theme on every leftist/progressive propaganda site on the web. Who really thinks they have insight?

Sal

Sal

PkrBum wrote:You can find this theme on every leftist/progressive propaganda site on the web. Who really thinks they have insight?

Blame the messenger all you want, but the fact is people aren't buying what the GOP has been selling, and they know it themselves.

Hell, they've been holding seminars non-stop in DC trying to come up with some way to rebrand the party, and there's a civil war going on between Karl Rove's people and the teabaggers.

I'm not sure how people can tell the difference between the parties... they may say different things... but the results are remarkably similar. I thght the main theme of the tea party was smaller govt? I guess that is pretty radical to both parties.

polecat

polecat

it wasn't the lights, it's just that
some people can tell the multifaceted lie that is Republicanism without sweating

and Sen. Rubio is not one of them

Margin Call

Margin Call

Rubio will eventually have to start answering to the same people responsible for the Romney disaster. These people are incapable of learning from their mistakes. I have no doubt they will unwittingly sacrifice Rubio - who could be a promising Presidential candidate, one day - upon the altar of the Clintons.

republicans dont need to be saved. They are not going anywhere. so stop gushing.

The left needs to worry about getting through 2014 with thier heads intact actually. wont be easy lol

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Floridatexan wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/17/magazine/can-the-republicans-be-saved-from-obsolescence.html?ref=magazine&_r=0

The interesting thing about this article was that it told the story of the conditions within the Republicans Party by the young people inside the party. It almost made you feel sorry for the young R's who want to change with the times but couldn't get more than 30 people to show up at their seminar at the Republican winter conference held two days after the inauguration. Obviously not many in attendance wanted to hear about any of this new fangled way of doing politics.

You can't miss the negative comments made by people who are asked to associate what comes to mind when they hear the word Republican:

When Anderson then wrote “Republican,” the outburst was immediate and vehement: “Corporate greed.”“Old.”“Middle-aged white men.” “Rich.” “Religious.” “Conservative.” “Hypocritical.” “Military retirees.” “Narrow-minded.” “Rigid.” “Not progressive.” “Polarizing.” “Stuck in their ways.” “Farmers.”
The Anderson referred to is a GOP pollster gathering information about the public's perception of her party.

Young people, according to this article, even if they are fiscally conservative are turned off big time by the ultra conservative social positions, taken by the party. It sounds as if the GOP needs to lighten up on the social issues and concentrate on the fiscal side of things but even then they'll have to overcome the perception that the party stands for corporate greed.

othershoe1030 wrote:...Young people, according to this article, even if they are fiscally conservative are turned off big time by the ultra conservative social positions, taken by the party. It sounds as if the GOP needs to lighten up on the social issues and concentrate on the fiscal side of things...

Can the Republicans Be Saved From Obsolescence? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXgU6QKbHxrlX1O6MhW0JpaqLmOpgOPVDlrUzE8vL_3KWcrCbH

I'm listed as Republican though I consider myself Independent.

So which of the many social issues do you wish to discuss darlin'?

I'm more than willing to discuss them with you.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObL3L6MRvN4

Smile

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Damaged Eagle wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:...Young people, according to this article, even if they are fiscally conservative are turned off big time by the ultra conservative social positions, taken by the party. It sounds as if the GOP needs to lighten up on the social issues and concentrate on the fiscal side of things...

Can the Republicans Be Saved From Obsolescence? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXgU6QKbHxrlX1O6MhW0JpaqLmOpgOPVDlrUzE8vL_3KWcrCbH

*****CHUCKLE*****

Smile

Here's what I'm talking about, from the article. It is what young voters had to say about their perception of standard Republican Party positions. It doesn't matter what I think of their positions. They are loosing the younger generation and will continue to shrink unless they do some serious re-evaluating of where they are and where they are going. The current path is pointing toward becoming an even more irrelevant party. (This excerpt is from page four of the article.)

Anderson concluded the group on a somewhat beseeching note. “Let’s talk about Republicans,” she said. “What if anything could they do to earn your vote?”

A self-identified anti-abortion, “very conservative” 27-year-old Obama voter named Gretchen replied: “Don’t be so right wing! You know, on abortion, they’re so out there. That all-or-nothing type of thing, that’s the way Romney came across. And you know, come up with ways to compromise.”

“What would be the sign to you that the Republican Party is moving in the right direction?” Anderson asked them.

“Maybe actually pass something?” suggested a 28-year-old schoolteacher named Courtney, who also identified herself as conservative.

The session with the young men was equally jarring. None of them expressed great enthusiasm for Obama. But their depiction of Republicans was even more lacerating than the women’s had been. “Racist,” “out of touch” and “hateful” made the list — “and put ‘1950s’ on there too!” one called out.

Showing a reverence for understatement, Anderson said: “A lot of those words you used to describe Republicans are negative. What could they say or do to make you feel more positive about the Republican Party?”

“Be more pro-science,” said a 22-year-old moderate named Jack. “Embrace technology and change.”

“Stick to your strong suit,” advised Nick, a 23-year-old African-American. “Clearly social issues aren’t your strong suit. Stop trying to fight the battle that’s already been fought and trying to bring back a movement. Get over it — you lost.”

othershoe1030 wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:

*****CHUCKLE*****

Smile

Here's what I'm talking about, from the article. It is what young voters had to say about their perception of standard Republican Party positions. It doesn't matter what I think of their positions. They are loosing the younger generation and will continue to shrink unless they do some serious re-evaluating of where they are and where they are going. The current path is pointing toward becoming an even more irrelevant party. (This excerpt is from page four of the article.)

Anderson concluded the group on a somewhat beseeching note. “Let’s talk about Republicans,” she said. “What if anything could they do to earn your vote?”

A self-identified anti-abortion, “very conservative” 27-year-old Obama voter named Gretchen replied: “Don’t be so right wing! You know, on abortion, they’re so out there. That all-or-nothing type of thing, that’s the way Romney came across. And you know, come up with ways to compromise.”

“What would be the sign to you that the Republican Party is moving in the right direction?” Anderson asked them.

“Maybe actually pass something?” suggested a 28-year-old schoolteacher named Courtney, who also identified herself as conservative.

The session with the young men was equally jarring. None of them expressed great enthusiasm for Obama. But their depiction of Republicans was even more lacerating than the women’s had been. “Racist,” “out of touch” and “hateful” made the list — “and put ‘1950s’ on there too!” one called out.

Showing a reverence for understatement, Anderson said: “A lot of those words you used to describe Republicans are negative. What could they say or do to make you feel more positive about the Republican Party?”

“Be more pro-science,” said a 22-year-old moderate named Jack. “Embrace technology and change.”

“Stick to your strong suit,” advised Nick, a 23-year-old African-American. “Clearly social issues aren’t your strong suit. Stop trying to fight the battle that’s already been fought and trying to bring back a movement. Get over it — you lost.”

Can the Republicans Be Saved From Obsolescence? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQsSoI1OhrxZtYxfaMZJwtKTF22YjLRDoEktZyFW034c9Dy4U-

I said that I was more than willing to discuss these social issues with you. However if all you want to do is point fingers at which party does what then...

Let's talk about why the Democrats and you supposedly enlightened progressive liberals are so hell bent on showing your discrimination and prejudice towards other minority groups in this country by awarding special privileges to specific minority groups while ignoring the plight of others.

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tdu4uKSZ3M

Smile

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Damaged Eagle wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:

*****CHUCKLE*****

Smile

Can the Republicans Be Saved From Obsolescence? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQsSoI1OhrxZtYxfaMZJwtKTF22YjLRDoEktZyFW034c9Dy4U-

I said that I was more than willing to discuss these social issues with you. However if all you want to do is point fingers at which party does what then...

Let's talk about why the Democrats and you supposedly enlightened progressive liberals are so hell bent on showing your discrimination and prejudice towards other minority groups in this country by awarding special privileges to specific minority groups while ignoring the plight of others.

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tdu4uKSZ3M

Smile

The headline for the thread is about the condition of the Republican Party in its current incarnation. Now, to me, that's an interesting topic with historic background, voter turnout numbers, you know, real stuff.

It is not a matter of pointing fingers at all. It is a case of taking a look at the party's philosophy and tactics surrounding their attempts to win elections, raise money and communicate who they are to voters.

The only reason I mentioned the social issues was because that was the area that turned off the younger generation. I was just saying that perhaps the R's should emphasize points that were not as negative to young people. The party's current stance is out of step with the views of the coming generations.

As to your vague comments about liberals and prejudices, minorities, and so on...more blanks need to be filled in before it makes much sense.

othershoe1030 wrote:
The headline for the thread is about the condition of the Republican Party in its current incarnation. Now, to me, that's an interesting topic with historic background, voter turnout numbers, you know, real stuff.

It is not a matter of pointing fingers at all. It is a case of taking a look at the party's philosophy and tactics surrounding their attempts to win elections, raise money and communicate who they are to voters.

The only reason I mentioned the social issues was because that was the area that turned off the younger generation. I was just saying that perhaps the R's should emphasize points that were not as negative to young people. The party's current stance is out of step with the views of the coming generations.

As to your vague comments about liberals and prejudices, minorities, and so on...more blanks need to be filled in before it makes much sense.

Can the Republicans Be Saved From Obsolescence? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUJ2gZDYfrWruRrN38JdYtUeQnVTGywoKDbRtcXljqkX72TkotzA

For an adequate comparison one needs something to compare it against. So let's hear all sides of the story and let others decide.

Otherwise all you are doing is bashing.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diOuUYcenW0

Smile

I think its so cute that the left is so worried about the condition of the republicans lol

worried they wont be able to fully kill them all off

I think one of the commentators called them the "concern trolls" lol It fits

2seaoat

I think its so cute that the left is so worried about the condition of the republicans lol

I guess cute is losing another election cycle. As a lifetime Republican, we will get our party back from the crazies, and Republicans will win.

This "concern" was carefully and purposefully cultivated.

2seaoat

This "concern" was carefully and purposefully cultivated.

Yep, losing does that.......

2seaoat wrote:I think its so cute that the left is so worried about the condition of the republicans lol

I guess cute is losing another election cycle. As a lifetime Republican, we will get our party back from the crazies, and Republicans will win.

Youre about as republican as I am a pleidian. Laughing

2seaoat

Youre about as republican as I am a pleidian. Laughing

What is a pleidian?

Margin Call

Margin Call

2seaoat wrote:Youre about as republican as I am a pleidian. Laughing

What is a pleidian?

She misspelled 'sober'.

NaNook

NaNook

Try walking across a college campus and learning the National Guard had shot and killed people at Kent State.

They were the times that tried mens souls.....

2seaoat

She misspelled 'sober'.

Well, I forgot to plug into advanced google searches for translate......they have a new language.......its called Chrissy.......but the Chinese are learning it and are afraid we are going to utilize Chrissy as a codebreaker during a war.

Margin Call

Margin Call

2seaoat wrote:She misspelled 'sober'.

Well, I forgot to plug into advanced google searches for translate......they have a new language.......its called Chrissy.......but the Chinese are learning it and are afraid we are going to utilize Chrissy as a codebreaker during a war.

We need Will Hunting to crack the Chrissy Code.

2seaoat

We need Will Hunting to crack the Chrissy Code.

I think that Dreams was a math genius who was once a janitor at MIT.....that explains how they are able to communicate.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum