Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gun Control

+2
Hospital Bob
Yella
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Gun Control Empty Gun Control 1/30/2013, 10:39 am

Yella

Yella

The subject of gun control is often discussed here. It is my view that nothing will affect the continued gun violence and deaths by firearms; not registration, not background checks, not making assault rifles illegal. If a criminal needs a weapon to commit a crime or defend himself from criminal competitors he is going to get it from an illegal source, so gun control is basically for law abiding citizen.
I have stated many times that the only way to control firearm violence is to punish the offenders. We do punish them but it is often that we sentence a criminal to many years in prison and let them out in only months. To repeat. I think the commission of ANY crime with a firearm should be a capital offense and then carry out the death sentence after a criminal has had one appeal. .
So far nobody agrees with me.

Does this mean all of you think our present methods of justice are working just fine?

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

2Gun Control Empty Re: Gun Control 1/30/2013, 10:58 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Yella wrote:The subject of gun control is often discussed here. It is my view that nothing will affect the continued gun violence and deaths by firearms; not registration, not background checks, not making assault rifles illegal. If a criminal needs a weapon to commit a crime or defend himself from criminal competitors he is going to get it from an illegal source, so gun control is basically for law abiding citizen.
I have stated many times that the only way to control firearm violence is to punish the offenders. We do punish them but it is often that we sentence a criminal to many years in prison and let them out in only months. To repeat. I think the commission of ANY crime with a firearm should be a capital offense and then carry out the death sentence after a criminal has had one appeal. .

Does this mean all of you think our present methods of justice are working just fine?
I'm 100% agreement with you that anyone who takes a firearm to a crime should be squashed like a bug. And I have no problem with hanging him in the public square. In fact I would relish being able to witness that execution.

But there is only one problem I can foresee with this idea. And that's how we define "crime".

I'm with you when we think of "crime" being an armed robbery or a home invasion or as far as I'm concerned, even a burglary. When someone carries a gun to a burglary he is anticipating using that gun on an innocent victim (civilian or cop). There is absolutely NO OTHER REASON for him to be in possession of that gun. And intentionally setting the scene for the injury or death of an innocent victim is enough for me. I do not want those maggots to keep breathing on my planet.

But, now we come to what constitutes a "crime". What if someone is using a gun in self-defense. Or using a gun to protect the life or property of others. Or shoots someone burglarizing his house but shoots them outside the door instead of inside the house. In real-life, often the circumstances surrounding these events are not clear.
And because of that it's not uncommon for someone to be convicted of "a crime", even when you and I would not agree that a crime was committed. But in the eyes of the justice system it will still be "a crime".
Or what if you or I have a gun in our car to protect ourselves and we enter a state which makes it "a crime" to be in possession of that gun in our car.

If we adopt a policy of executing everyone who is convicted of "a crime" while in possession of a firearm, I think it opens a can of worms that you may not want to see open. That's a can of worms that may one day find you and I inside of it.

So if you limit it to robberies and home invasions and burglaries and drive-by shootings and the like, then I'm with you.

3Gun Control Empty Re: Gun Control 1/30/2013, 11:06 am

At some time I might need to rob the Circle K or Car Jack someone. Just too hard to do with a stick or a hammer so I think things are OK as they are.

4Gun Control Empty Re: Gun Control 1/30/2013, 11:55 am

Yella

Yella

Bob wrote:
Yella wrote:The subject of gun control is often discussed here. It is my view that nothing will affect the continued gun violence and deaths by firearms; not registration, not background checks, not making assault rifles illegal. If a criminal needs a weapon to commit a crime or defend himself from criminal competitors he is going to get it from an illegal source, so gun control is basically for law abiding citizen.

I'm 100% agreement with you that anyone who takes a firearm to a crime should be squashed like a bug. And I have no problem with hanging him in the public square. In fact I would relish being able to witness that execution.

But there is only one problem I can foresee with this idea. And that's how we define "crime".

I'm with you when we think of "crime" being an armed robbery or a home invasion or as far as I'm concerned, even a burglary. When someone carries a gun to a burglary he is anticipating using that gun on an innocent victim (civilian or cop). There is absolutely NO OTHER REASON for him to be in possession of that gun. And intentionally setting the scene for the injury or death of an innocent victim is enough for me. I do not want those maggots to keep breathing on my planet.

But, now we come to what constitutes a "crime". What if someone is using a gun in self-defense. Or using a gun to protect the life or property of others. Or shoots someone burglarizing his house but shoots them outside the door instead of inside the house. In real-life, often the circumstances surrounding these events are not clear.
And because of that it's not uncommon for someone to be convicted of "a crime", even when you and I would not agree that a crime was committed. But in the eyes of the justice system it will still be "a crime".
Or what if you or I have a gun in our car to protect ourselves and we enter a state which makes it "a crime" to be in possession of that gun in our car.

If we adopt a policy of executing everyone who is convicted of "a crime" while in possession of a firearm, I think it opens a can of worms that you may not want to see open. That's a can of worms that may one day find you and I inside of it.

So if you limit it to robberies and home invasions and burglaries and drive-by shootings and the like, then I'm with you.

That is why we have a trial system with a jury of your peers(sometimes).
If a person is convicted they should have ONE appeal not a feeding frenzy for lawyers to drag out until all their ways of getting money are exhausted.

When a killer is hanged he will not become another example of recidivism.

5Gun Control Empty Re: Gun Control 1/30/2013, 11:58 am

Yella

Yella

So far there have been 37 views but only 2 responses.

Is this because the rest of you feel that killing killers is wrong?

6Gun Control Empty Re: Gun Control 1/30/2013, 12:12 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Yella wrote:So far there have been 37 views but only 2 responses.

No Yella....as a society we keep giving the killers and violent offenders one break after another. Being incarcerated is just like R&R for the repeat offender. As far as gun-control laws...it's easier to control law-abiding citizens and in the process it makes the government feel pro-active. Crime and gun violence will continue no matter what laws are mandated.

7Gun Control Empty Re: Gun Control 1/30/2013, 12:15 pm

While the what-ifs are being counted, add this to the mix.

What if a dude is involved in a minor traffic accident...no injuries....no damage, but the victim has already summoned the HP, and when he arrives he's presented with a visibly tipsy driver of the striking vehicle. A search of the car reveals an open beer, small amount of pot, some paraphernalia, and a loaded handgun.

The only way I support the death penalty is in smoking gun cases. The rest should be life w/out parole...period.

8Gun Control Empty Re: Gun Control 1/30/2013, 12:15 pm

Too many what-ifs to just say "kill em".

Some inmates are exonerated later through DNA or whatever. Unscrupulous Prosecuting Attorneys have ignored and covered up bona-fide evidence that would result in an acquittal.

What about an accomplice, say the getaway driver in a robbery where a gun was used, but not by the driver? (Accomplices get convicted of capital crimes when they weren't the trigger man.)

9Gun Control Empty Re: Gun Control 1/30/2013, 12:20 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

W_T_M wrote:While the what-ifs are being counted, add this to the mix.

What if a dude is involved in a minor traffic accident...no injuries....no damage, but the victim has already summoned the HP, and when he arrives he's presented with a visibly tipsy driver of the striking vehicle. A search of the car reveals an open beer, small amount of pot, some paraphernalia, and a loaded handgun.

The only way I support the death penalty is in smoking gun cases. The rest should be life w/out parole...period.

It is still illegal.

10Gun Control Empty Re: Gun Control 1/30/2013, 12:23 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I am still back in the old west...give em a trial then hang em.....

Remember there is a false sense of security in our country..nothing you own is yours including your life if you can't maintain control of it....You may pay cops to generally provide security but the ultimate security is in your own hands...be armed and know the law.....

11Gun Control Empty Re: Gun Control 1/30/2013, 12:27 pm

Sal

Sal

I do not support capital punishment in any case.

I do support severe, draconian prison sentences for anyone convicted of committing a crime with a gun, and a ban on gun possession for anyone convicted of any violent crime with severe, draconian punishment for violators of the ban.

12Gun Control Empty Re: Gun Control 1/30/2013, 12:41 pm

Joanimaroni wrote:

It is still illegal.

What's your point...?

I have had several no harm/no foul parking lot quibbles in the last 20 years, and each time we all agreed to not report it.

Should I be arrested for not reporting those "crimes"....?

Should you be stopped and given a ticket for changing lanes w/out signal, or following too closely...? I observe that on an almost daily basis, even from LEO's engaging in that criminal behavior. And they're armed in the commission of their crimes.

Maroni, whether it was illegal or not was not the issue, was it...?

It was about circumstance dictating outcome. If those folk had cell phones back in the day, would they have called the HP before we checked for damages...?

Can't un-ring the bell...

BTW...I am certainly not excusing the perp w/ the stuff in his vehicle. I was only showing how a gun involved was in this case, peripheral to the real issue.

13Gun Control Empty Re: Gun Control 1/30/2013, 12:49 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

I could agree to having life without parole for crimes committed with a gun. I wouldn't go as far as having an automatic death penalty. Heck, there are ax murderers and child rapists who don't get life, much less the death penalty. We would have to reconsider sentencing for other crimes if we're going to crack down on sentencing for crimes with guns. Because as far as I'm concerned, a child rapist should get the death penalty before some guy who holds up a liquor store with a gun that isn't discharged.

That is not to say I want to be easy on gun crimes. If you go somewhere with a gun and commit a crime, I think you had better be prepared to spend life in prison WITHOUT parole.

14Gun Control Empty Re: Gun Control 1/30/2013, 12:52 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

W_T_M wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

It is still illegal.

What's your point...?

I have had several no harm/no foul parking lot quibbles in the last 20 years, and each time we all agreed to not report it.

Should I be arrested for not reporting those "crimes"....?

Should you be stopped and given a ticket for changing lanes w/out signal, or following too closely...? I observe that on an almost daily basis, even from LEO's engaging in that criminal behavior. And they're armed in the commission of their crimes.

Maroni, whether it was illegal or not was not the issue, was it...?

It was about circumstance dictating outcome. If those folk had cell phones back in the day, would they have called the HP before we checked for damages...?

Can't un-ring the bell...

BTW...I am certainly not excusing the perp w/ the stuff in his vehicle. I was only showing how a gun involved was in this case, peripheral to the real issue.

My point was the "stuff" in the car was illegal and a loaded hand gun must be concealed and permitted. Charges filed would be the appropriate action.

15Gun Control Empty Re: Gun Control 1/30/2013, 12:57 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

Also, if you are going to give an automatic death penalty for gun crimes, the people who commit the crimes with a gun will have no reason not to kill whomever they run across in the commission of a crime. They might as well just kill everyone--the sentence will be the same. But I guess you could say the same about people who commit sex crimes. If the sentence is death no matter what, they might as well kill the victims.

16Gun Control Empty Re: Gun Control 1/30/2013, 12:59 pm

Nekochan wrote:I could agree to having life without parole for crimes committed with a gun. I wouldn't go as far as having an automatic death penalty. Heck, there are ax murderers and child rapists who don't get life, much less the death penalty. We would have to reconsider sentencing for other crimes if we're going to crack down on sentencing for crimes with guns. Because as far as I'm concerned, a child rapist should get the death penalty before some guy who holds up a liquor store with a gun that isn't discharged.

That is not to say I want to be easy on gun crimes. If you go somewhere with a gun and commit a crime, I think you had better be prepared to spend life in prison WITHOUT parole.

.................................................................................

I agree w/ you except for the last part I highlighted.

If the gun is not used in nor connected to the crime, I do not believe someone should face life w/out parole.

Ask all of the forum gun folk if they have ever committed ANY crimes while in possession of a gun, right up to and including illegal transfer of a gun. They don't have the best rep for obeying gun laws, and the openly defiant have already stated they would never surrender ANY weapon because of Fed Regs.

In a future scenario, and defying the law, they are committing a crime directly related to guns. Should they be facing life w/out parole...?

Last edited by W_T_M on 1/30/2013, 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

17Gun Control Empty Re: Gun Control 1/30/2013, 1:00 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

With armed robbery it's a no-brainer for me. Hang em high.
Armed home invasion. Same thing.
Shooting a gun out of a car. Get a noose.

But then we come to burglary. You might want to set up the scenario that a burglar is broke and needs to steal to get money to feed his kids.
No gun? Different story.
That burglar is carrying a gun? No different to me than the armed robber. Hang em high.

That's the black and white. The rest is the gray area for me.

18Gun Control Empty Re: Gun Control 1/30/2013, 1:01 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

So what's the penalty for killing americans without a trial by a drone ?

19Gun Control Empty Re: Gun Control 1/30/2013, 1:01 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

Alright, good point. What I should have said if you use a gun to commit a crime.

20Gun Control Empty Re: Gun Control 1/30/2013, 1:02 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

TEOTWAWKI wrote:So what's the penalty for killing americans without a trial by a drone ?

Well, that would be a war crime and they should be tried in international court as a war criminal. But only if their last name is Bush.

Last edited by Nekochan on 1/30/2013, 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

21Gun Control Empty Re: Gun Control 1/30/2013, 1:05 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

Bob wrote:With armed robbery it's a no-brainer for me. Hang em high.
Armed home invasion. Same thing.
Shooting a gun out of a car. Get a noose.

But then we come to burglary. You might want to set up the scenario that a burglar is broke and needs to steal to get money to feed his kids.
No gun? Different story.
That burglar is carrying a gun? No different to me than the armed robber. Hang em high.

That's the black and white. The rest is the gray area for me.

Really, I don't have a problem with that cause I have no sympathy for armed robbers....except there is no incentive for the robbers and other criminals not to kill whomever they come across. Just kill, kill, kill....sentencing is the same no matter what.

22Gun Control Empty Re: Gun Control 1/30/2013, 1:06 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

TEOTWAWKI wrote:So what's the penalty for killing americans without a trial by a drone ?
I have to know more. Which American is killing another American using a drone? What are the circumstances?

If I had a drone I would kill some Americans with it right now if I could get away with it. With emphasis on being able to get away with it.

23Gun Control Empty Re: Gun Control 1/30/2013, 1:08 pm

Bob wrote:
I have to know more. Which American is killing another American using a drone? What are the circumstances?

If I had a drone I would kill some Americans with it right now if I could get away with it. With emphasis on being able to get away with it.

Absolutely agreed. LOL.

here ya go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7vCww3j2-w

24Gun Control Empty Re: Gun Control 1/30/2013, 1:10 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Nekochan wrote:

Really, I don't have a problem with that cause I have no sympathy for armed robbers....except there is no incentive for the robbers and other criminals not to kill whomever they come across. Just kill, kill, kill....sentencing is the same no matter what.
Actually I was going to address that very thing with my next post until I got distracted with the reply to Teo.

You understated it. The fact is that if a robber or burglar knows that he is facing the death penalty if caught with the gun, then he has even MORE incentive to kill any and all individuals who are attempting to capture him AND any witnesses as well.

Just one little fly in this ointment. In other words, what first appears to be black and white now has a tinge of gray in it. lol

25Gun Control Empty Re: Gun Control 1/30/2013, 1:11 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

Very good point. NO WITNESSES!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum