Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gun Control

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Gun Control Empty Gun Control 3/31/2021, 12:22 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

From a FB friend:

When those of us with no connection to gun culture speak after the latest gun massacre, we are easily dismissed.
So I thought I would post these comments by our friend (deleted). Reposted from his page.
----------------------------------------------------
"Outrage!!
First - I am a gun owner and hunter. I was raised in a family where a rifle or shotgun was often used to provide food for the week or the year.
Second - I am the son of a WW II light machine gunner, I am a retired USAF officer and Gulf War vet, yet I am outraged that a country that places peace and prosperity over all else, also provides an environment where anyone, and I mean anyone can get a tool designed and bred on the battle field purely to kill and maim as many human beings as possible.

We, you and I, allow this to happen. People actually are providing organizations and politicians millions of dollars to allow AK-47s, AR-15s, double stacked Glock, Colt, Springfield Armory, and the list goes on to produce their versions of the same devices I qualified on the range with during my military career. Please know, there are very few differences between the M-16 I qualified with in the military and the AR-15 currently sold on the market. Both would send a .223 round at it’s target every time you touch the trigger until the magazine was empty. By the way, the extended magazines and new calibers available for these weapons far exceed the volume and ballistics of my military M-16.

Why do people donate to the NRA and politicians to allow and support access to these weapons? Because they have the right, the right to bear arms. Not the right to hunt or shoot skeet and enjoy the shooting sports, but the right to own, give away, loan, privately sell, or profit from military weapons.

So, what were the rights of the police officer that responded to the shooting scene armed only with his service hand gun? What were the rights of the 62 y/o Mom, wife, and Grand Mother that went to pick up groceries? What were the rights of the children at Columbine? Put yourself in the place of the husbands or wives of the survivors waking up this morning no longer having the presence and love of those most dear to them, or you.

PLEASE, be Outraged!! Please, help protect those you love and your neighbors by demanding access to military style weapons be stopped and controlled as the killing machines they were intended to be.

Don’t let the NRA and people like Senator Ted Cruz get away with words like “Guns don’t kill people, people kill people”. Again, these weapons were designed to kill and maim as many people as possible in a short period of time, and overwhelm an opponents ability to return fire. We need to stand up to these lies, gas lighting, and campaigns of mis-information.

If you want to make a difference, write your congressman, call out the NRA and politicians peddling these un-truths and consider joining organizations like Giffords, Vote Vets, and our President that like you and me have said, “enough is enough!”

Telstar and zsomething like this post

2Gun Control Empty Re: Gun Control 3/31/2021, 2:31 pm

zsomething

Honestly, the best and most realistic discussion I've seen about gun control would be this guy's videos.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZOMlO2_17fvIiTRFiQ9C2OqfGER03v4G

Starting here and going through the playlist:

He's pro-gun, for reasons he explains, although he's sane about it and is not against regulation. And he discusses what will and likely won't work when it comes to gun control.

I don't agree with him completely, but even when I don't he's pretty hard to argue against, especially since the genie's soooooo far out of the bottle in America that there's really little that can be done at this point... especially now that 3D printing has made it almost impossible to really take guns away, even if that would work. I'm for things like limiting magazine capacity, while admitting that it's not that easy since (A) magazines can be changed pretty quickly anyway, and (B) magazines can be made by hand even if they were outlawed. So, again, genie's out of the bottle...

I'm a gun owner, I like guns fine, although there are some that I fully agree the public flat-out has no real legitimate use for and I'd be fine with seeing 'em gone... but, at this point, that's not really likely. And a lot of arguments are legit -- the main difference between a lot of "assault rifles" (a term the right likes to turn off and on depending on convenience) and some hunting weapons is just the appearance. But an AR isn't really practical for hunting for the same reason it works as a military rifle -- it tears up a hell of a lot of meat.

More than regulating guns, we need to regulate who gets them. And the NRA is totally in the way of that. Like I said, I'm a gun-owner, I support the second amendment, and the NRA DAMN sure ain't no friend of mine. They're not actually preserving 2A, they're just trying to sell guns. They're a scam.

Basically, if you want to protect the 2nd amendment and keep people from wanting to be "gun grabbers," then you absolutely put limits on who can get the weapons, so the public won't have to be as alarmed about 'em.

Obama had put in place a law stopping mentally ill people from buying guns. Trump ditched it. That is STUPID. The Boulder shooting would have been prevented if Obama's rule had still been in place, because that shooter was textbook: he bought the weapon recently, and he had a history of mental illness. If not for Trump, that guy wouldn't have had that gun.

If every gun owner was licensed and trained and responsible, we'd have FAR less mass shootings and people wouldn't be as afraid of people having guns. Nobody's wanting to take something away from someone who can be trusted to use it properly.

Unfortunately, we have a lot of armed idiots now. We've got gun nuts who also believe every stupid fucking conspiracy theory that's waved in front of 'em, and they want to use their guns to act on the bullshit they've been fed. Those people shouldn't have the right to own firearms anymore. You storm the Capitol? Bye-bye gun, you can't be trusted with it. You're an idiot who thinks you aren't safe enough to go to Starbucks without packing your Bushmaster? Stay yer cowardly ass home, and turn that thing in because you don't have good judgement enough to own it. If anyone's that frightened of normal day-to-day activities and think going into WalMart's the same as marching on Mogadishu, then I don't want 'em having guns, because the next stupid thing they think might get somebody's head blown off. These guys all think they're the "good guy with a gun" who's gonna save everybody, but they're starting from a position of poor judgement. They're Barney Fifes. And, remember, Andy made Barney keep his bullet in his pocket... mostly because when he didn't somebody always almost got their foot shot off. I know a lot of "carriers" and I don't trust hardly any of 'em. Dumb as fuck and can get tricked into anything, and damn near every one of 'em's got a few holes in the walls of their house from something stupid and irresponsible they did.

This includes my cousin, who shot his brother in the knee. The guy who got shot in the knee, by the way? Redneck as fuck. You won't find a bigger redneck. Except he's not all that fond of guns... for a reason.

Anyway, it's a very tricky issue with a lot of nuances involved (which is why right-wingers don't like it -- they don't do nuance for shit, everything to them is absolutes, you're either Chuck Connors or you're the bad guy he's shootin' with that tricked-out Winchester... and, yeah, they tend to think every conflict is gonna be just as neat and clear-cut as the things they see on the teevee box). I don't agree with Beau on everything, but his videos are still a good way to get a realistic picture of the situation we're in, what'd work, and what probably wouldn't, and why.

Floridatexan and Telstar like this post

3Gun Control Empty Re: Gun Control 4/1/2021, 10:20 am

gatorfan

Heckofa problem, no doubt about it. So-called "assault rifles" - NO reason for them.....when I loaded up with my team to fly to Desert Storm I told my chief to ditch my M-16 and get me a shotgun. That's what I carried since I hate M-16s. I just can't see a logical reason for them in private hands. Home defense? Bullshit. How many walls do you want to penetrate, how many innocents are going to get hit? Nope, a .410 shotgun is just the ticket for home defense. The biggest problem are criminals stealing guns and then using them. Mass murder in increments doesn't get dramatic air play like "mass shootings" but it's just as bad. Last weekend 30 people were shot in Chicago, 3 died.

Floridatexan and zsomething like this post

4Gun Control Empty Re: Gun Control 4/1/2021, 5:43 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

OCT. 26, 2017, AT 1:16 PM

Gun Laws Stop At State Lines, But Guns Don’t

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/gun-laws-stop-at-state-lines-but-guns-dont/

This is a lengthy report that explains a lot about Chicago's gun problems...the guns are bought across state lines (in many cases) where gun laws are less strict. I'm not anti-gun, although I don't really "like" guns. Nearly every family I knew, growing up in South Texas, used a gun for hunting at some time. I have guns in my house, but most of them are not loaded and/or are muzzle loaders. Both my daughters know how to shoot. We started with pellet guns, but later they fired actual weapons.

I believe most of the automatic weapons in the country are owned by a small percentage of "gun nuts". If you're going to have a loaded gun in the house, it should be inaccessible to children. Years ago, one of my cousins was shot by her stepbrother, who had found a loaded gun on a table at a neighbor's house. She's had life-long kidney problems because of that. She was 8. I just read an account of an 11-year-old who was trained to shoot and, although the gun cabinet was locked, he knew where the key was. He got the gun and killed himself. I remember another incident in Texas, where a kid fired and shot his grandfather by accident. We need to have these discussions.

Telstar likes this post

5Gun Control Empty Re: Gun Control 4/1/2021, 5:45 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan
gatorfan wrote:Heckofa problem, no doubt about it. So-called "assault rifles" - NO reason for them.....when I loaded up with my team to fly to Desert Storm I told my chief to ditch my M-16 and get me a shotgun. That's what I carried since I hate M-16s. I just can't see a logical reason for them in private hands. Home defense? Bullshit. How many walls do you want to penetrate, how many innocents are going to get hit? Nope, a .410 shotgun is just the ticket for home defense. The biggest problem are criminals stealing guns and then using them. Mass murder in increments doesn't get dramatic air play like "mass shootings" but it's just as bad. Last weekend 30 people were shot in Chicago, 3 died.

See my post below. Many of Chicago's guns come from neighboring states.

Telstar likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum