Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

No Fear!!!!!

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1No Fear!!!!! Empty No Fear!!!!! 1/29/2013, 9:00 pm

IF you want the job done right, give it to a woman.

Hard to believe that stunts such as these used to be accomplished frequently. Does anyone recall the air-to-air refueling of one biplane to another using a long hose? Those people had to be either fearless or just “plane crazy”.

This woman has more guts than a sausage factory. Take a look at this film. Fabulous footage, although grainy due to time and bad equipment in those days compared to today, but what nerve this gal had.

Gladys Ingles was a member of a barnstorming troupe called the 13 Black Cats in the 1920s. Ingles was a wing walker; in this film, she shows her fearlessness in classic barnstorming fashion to save an airplane that has lost one of its main wheels.

Ingles is shown with a replacement wheel being strapped to her back and then off she goes as "Up She Goes," a duet from the era, provides the soundtrack. In the film, Ingles transfers herself from the rescue plane to the one missing the main landing gear tire.

She then expertly works herself down to the undercarriage only a few feet from a spinning prop. It's certainly a feat many mechanics wouldn't even try on the ground with the engine running.

She died at age 82.click on below............

http://www.flixxy.com/mid-air-airplane-repair.htm

2No Fear!!!!! Empty Re: No Fear!!!!! 1/29/2013, 9:07 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

She should have worn a helmet.... Laughing

3No Fear!!!!! Empty Re: No Fear!!!!! 1/29/2013, 9:26 pm

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Lurch wrote:

IF you want the job done right, give it to a woman.

Hard to believe that stunts such as these used to be accomplished frequently. Does anyone recall the air-to-air refueling of one biplane to another using a long hose? Those people had to be either fearless or just “plane crazy”.

This woman has more guts than a sausage factory. Take a look at this film. Fabulous footage, although grainy due to time and bad equipment in those days compared to today, but what nerve this gal had.

Gladys Ingles was a member of a barnstorming troupe called the 13 Black Cats in the 1920s. Ingles was a wing walker; in this film, she shows her fearlessness in classic barnstorming fashion to save an airplane that has lost one of its main wheels.

Ingles is shown with a replacement wheel being strapped to her back and then off she goes as "Up She Goes," a duet from the era, provides the soundtrack. In the film, Ingles transfers herself from the rescue plane to the one missing the main landing gear tire.

She then expertly works herself down to the undercarriage only a few feet from a spinning prop. It's certainly a feat many mechanics wouldn't even try on the ground with the engine running.

She died at age 82.click on below............

http://www.flixxy.com/mid-air-airplane-repair.htm

Wow.....speaking as an old dare-devil myself, that's one feat I would never want to try! In truth, one of my feats was to get myself pulled up a fifty five foot sailing mast in dinky little bosun's chair to untangle a sail in the middle of a storm. That's as far from the ground as I wanna be when I'm trying to work on an external part!

[/quote]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum