Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

75,000 people are arrested for marijuana possession every year. AND EACH ARREST COSTS THE TAXPAYERS AN AVERAGE OF $10,400

+4
2seaoat
Slicef18
Sal
Hospital Bob
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

That's $780 million a year to prosecute people for marijuana possession.

It ain't illegal if you don't get caught.

LOL

Dance you pay the band and PLAY you pay the MAN.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

PACEDOG#1 wrote:It ain't illegal if you don't get caught.

LOL

Dance you pay the band and PLAY you pay the MAN.

Well I suppose if you're a liberal who has no problem with the bigger government and the government spending it takes to do this then it would make sense.
As a conservative I'm in favor of limiting the size of government and government spending.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

PACEDOG#1 wrote:I'm in favor of people following the law.

I didn't know "the law" was something which cannot be changed.

I didn't know this because I've been seeing in the news that "the law" is about to be changed and will now say you can no longer (legally) buy a magazine clip which holds more than ten rounds.
Maybe it's just that "the law" which applies to guns can be changed but not "the law" which applies to marijuana.

Additionally, back when "prohibition" was applied to possession of alcohol, I'm sure there were plenty of liberals then too who wanted a lot more government and government spending to enforce that law. And I'm sure a lot more government loving liberals were also saying "I'm in favor of people following the law".

Interestingly, those same liberals were in league with Al Capone who also wanted that version of "prohibition" to remain on the books.
Just as the liberals of today want all the crime that results from supplying illegal marijuana during this "prohibition".

I'll just never understand you liberals.

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:
As a conservative I'm in favor of limiting the size of government and government spending.

You're not a conservative, Bob.

You're a self-loathing liberal.

Let go of all the destructive pretensions and embrace your fabulous self.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:You're not a conservative, Bob.

The truth is I'm not either, Sal. The nearest label to me I suppose would be "libertarian" except I'm not really that either for a variety of reasons.
I have some opinions that so-called conservatives espouse, and I have other opinions that so-called liberals espouse.
But even then, often what is deemed to be "conservative" or deemed to be "liberal" is so fraught with inconsistency that the labels become meaningless.
What I pointed out in this thread is a prime example of that. Pacedog thinks it's "conservative" to want prohibition of marijuana. But in order to accomplish this requires a much larger role of government and a fortune in government spending.
And Pacedog is not even aware that many "conservatives" (including the modern father of "conservatism", William Buckley) are also opposed to continuing the prohibition on marijuana for the same reasons I am.

Ideology and labels are not working anymore. They're helping to fascilitate the decline of our country.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

If you take the time to read through this short article you will realize that it's a pretty good primer on how meaningless it's becoming to continue to apply those labels "liberal" and "conservative".

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/16/marijuana-legalization-conservatives_n_1969556.html

Slicef18

Slicef18

The marijuana laws also provide an income stream for the state chauffeurs. Some of those are, court costs, probation supervision,, and court fines. If the government didn't receive a benefit, the law would disappear. Think about all those policemen who have jobs because of the law, not to mention all the private sector jobs created to build prisons. Lots of concrete and iron workers.

2seaoat

There has been a 500% increase in the criminal justice system in the last 25 years........the same period where Americans median income stagnated, and our national debt grew........common sense would suggest that the second prohibition failed.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

bob wrote: when you dismantle the marijuana industrial complex you get a very nice side effect from it. You start bringing a lot of revenue into the state coffers from taxing the legal marijuana.

Here is what is projected for Washington state.

"it would generate more than a half billion dollars in new tax revenue annually".

"Approximately $182 million would go to the state general fund, $34 million to local budgets, and $366 million to health care, education, and prevention."

75,000 people are arrested for marijuana possession every year.  AND EACH ARREST COSTS THE TAXPAYERS AN AVERAGE OF $10,400 Pot_ti10

http://www.newapproachwa.org/content/what-could-560000000-every-year-do

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Another interesting irony.
Colorado legalized medical marijuana in 2009. And the CDC (Centers for Disease Control) has done a study to see how that impacted marijuana use among youth...

"The CDC's Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System monitors a number of statistics for America's youth. The CDC study suggests that marijuana use among Colorado's youths fell by 2.8 percent from 2009 (24.8 percent) to 2011 (22 percent), while the national rate of youth use increased by 2.3 percent from 2009 (20.8 percent) to 2011 (23.1 percent). Furthermore, the CDC found that the availability of drugs on school grounds in Colorado fell 5 percent from 2009 (22.7 percent) to 2011 (17.2 percent), while the national rate increased by 3.1 percent over the same time."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_Amendment_64#Support

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

Bob wrote:
Sal wrote:You're not a conservative, Bob.

The truth is I'm not either, Sal. The nearest label to me I suppose would be "libertarian" except I'm not really that either for a variety of reasons.
I have some opinions that so-called conservatives espouse, and I have other opinions that so-called liberals espouse.
But even then, often what is deemed to be "conservative" or deemed to be "liberal" is so fraught with inconsistency that the labels become meaningless.
What I pointed out in this thread is a prime example of that. Pacedog thinks it's "conservative" to want prohibition of marijuana. But in order to accomplish this requires a much larger role of government and a fortune in government spending.
And Pacedog is not even aware that many "conservatives" (including the modern father of "conservatism", William Buckley) are also opposed to continuing the prohibition on marijuana for the same reasons I am.

Ideology and labels are not working anymore. They're helping to fascilitate the decline of our country.

Good post, Bob. I'm in your corner.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

stormwatch89 wrote:

Thanks and it's always good to know I'm not alone with this.

But sadly, the liberals and conservatives so far outnumber us at this time (probably about a million to one) that it's like we're standing on the beach and spitting at a hurricane in attempt to steer the course of it. lol

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

Bob wrote:
stormwatch89 wrote:

Thanks and it's always good to know I'm not alone with this.

But sadly, the liberals and conservatives so far outnumber us at this time (probably about a million to one) that it's like we're standing on the beach and spitting at a hurricane in attempt to steer the course of it. lol

Funny example. My Uncle worked on the invention of the Loran and I had asked him after Opal to work out "something" to prevent such a disaster again.

He came up with this incredible formula that was.....beyond anything we could ever do.

Perhaps, this is also an example. Keep smiling.

Yella

Yella

Bob wrote:That's $780 million a year to prosecute people for marijuana possession.

This why it is a big part of our economy. Just think of all the jobs involved in this. 780 million dollars equates to a lot of people working. If it is completely legalized, which I hope, would all the people be out looking for work?

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Yella wrote:
Bob wrote:That's $780 million a year to prosecute people for marijuana possession.

This why it is a big part of our economy. Just think of all the jobs involved in this. 780 million dollars equates to a lot of people working. If it is completely legalized, which I hope, would all the people be out looking for work?

It's the big government types who have hijacked our economy and put a stranglehold on it by tying so much of it to government spending. The anti-marijuana/government/industrial complex is a part of that and so is the military establishment (both championed by people who like to think of themselves as "conservatives").
The ones who are so proud to be "liberals" have also played their role by opposing any reform of what is euphemistically called "entitlements", allowing that to also grow out of control.
So both the liberals and the conservatives have now made our economy and our jobs so dependent on this government spending that the situation is like I've described it before. It's like a cancer which has been allowed to grow to the point that the treatment to try to cure it will now also cause suffering and sickness. And yes I would imagine that since we won't need as many cops and prosecutors and lawyers and correctional officers and jails and all the secondary economy which provides support for that, there will be jobs lost.
But if this massive government borrowing and spending is allowed to go unchecked for very much longer, those jobs are not the only ones which will be lost. At some point this house of cards will begin to collapse and when that happens a helluva lot more jobs will disappear and with that will come a lot worse suffering for far larger numbers of people.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

PACEDOG#1 wrote:I'm in favor of people following the law.

I'm in favor of laws that are grounded in common sense.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Slicef18 wrote:The marijuana laws also provide an income stream for the state chauffeurs. Some of those are, court costs, probation supervision,, and court fines. If the government didn't receive a benefit, the law would disappear. Think about all those policemen who have jobs because of the law, not to mention all the private sector jobs created to build prisons. Lots of concrete and iron workers.

You mean "coffers", Slice, but you're absolutely correct. Why do police departments have the power to confiscate personal property of a SUSPECT?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Floridatexan wrote:
Slicef18 wrote:The marijuana laws also provide an income stream for the state chauffeurs. Some of those are, court costs, probation supervision,, and court fines. If the government didn't receive a benefit, the law would disappear. Think about all those policemen who have jobs because of the law, not to mention all the private sector jobs created to build prisons. Lots of concrete and iron workers.

You mean "coffers", Slice, but you're absolutely correct. Why do police departments have the power to confiscate personal property of a SUSPECT?

Police departments have to follow boundaries set by the 4th Amendment.

Slicef18

Slicef18

Floridatexan wrote:

chauffeurs!!! Too funny. I missed that, thanks.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Bob wrote:
Yella wrote:

It's the big government types who have hijacked our economy and put a stranglehold on it by tying so much of it to government spending. The anti-marijuana/government/industrial complex is a part of that and so is the military establishment (both championed by people who like to think of themselves as "conservatives").
The ones who are so proud to be "liberals" have also played their role by opposing any reform of what is euphemistically called "entitlements", allowing that to also grow out of control.
So both the liberals and the conservatives have now made our economy and our jobs so dependent on this government spending that the situation is like I've described it before. It's like a cancer which has been allowed to grow to the point that the treatment to try to cure it will now also cause suffering and sickness. And yes I would imagine that since we won't need as many cops and prosecutors and lawyers and correctional officers and jails and all the secondary economy which provides support for that, there will be jobs lost.
But if this massive government borrowing and spending is allowed to go unchecked for very much longer, those jobs are not the only ones which will be lost. At some point this house of cards will begin to collapse and when that happens a helluva lot more jobs will disappear and with that will come a lot worse suffering for far larger numbers of people.

The HOUSE OF CARDS already collapsed...in 2008. And you know what 100,000 lawyers at the bottom of the sea is...right? There are always economic shifts in the economy, caused by such ordinary forces as demand for a competitor's product, obsolescence, changes in laws, etc. There is also market manipulation and what amounts to dominance over the economy by the financial sector, the MIC and a privileged few who benefit from basically sucking off everyone else...the entitled types who are always screaming about...entitlements.

And if you're referring to the current state of economic affairs in this country...yes, if substantive regulatory changes don't occur...and if the b's aren't prosecuted en masse, they'll crash the economy again and again because...they read too much Ayn Rand when they should be reading Silas Marner again...and again...and again.

Yella

Yella

Floridatexan wrote:
Bob wrote:
Yella wrote:

The HOUSE OF CARDS already collapsed...in 2008. And you know what 100,000 lawyers at the bottom of the sea is...right? There are always economic shifts in the economy, caused by such ordinary forces as demand for a competitor's product, obsolescence, changes in laws, etc. There is also market manipulation and what amounts to dominance over the economy by the financial sector, the MIC and a privileged few who benefit from basically sucking off everyone else...the entitled types who are always screaming about...entitlements.

And if you're referring to the current state of economic affairs in this country...yes, if substantive regulatory changes don't occur...and if the b's aren't prosecuted en masse, they'll crash the economy again and again because...they read too much Ayn Rand when they should be reading Silas Marner again...and again...and again.

Well stated, Tex

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Joanimaroni wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

Police departments have to follow boundaries set by the 4th Amendment.

Police did not always have the ability to seize the assets of a SUSPECT in a drug case before the outcome of a trial.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum