Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

ADP Employment Report: 215,000 private sector jobs added in December.

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

boards of FL

boards of FL

http://mam.econoday.com/byshoweventfull.asp?fid=456031&cust=mam&year=2013&lid=0&prev=/byweek.asp#top

Better than a sharp stick in the eye but not great given the job types:

"Small businesses didn’t do much hiring, only adding 25,000 positions — and small businesses of less than 20 employees actually lost 6,000 jobs. The goods-producing sector looked weak with only 28,000 jobs added, as manufacturing dropped by 11,000 jobs. The service sector looked relatively strong, however:

Service-providing jobs increased by 187,000. Among the service industries reported by the ADP National Employment Report, trade/transportation/utilities services had the largest gain with 53,000 jobs added over the month. Professional/business services added 37,000 jobs and financial activities added 14,000 jobs in December.
Although the 215K level would indicate actual growth in terms of population expansion, which requires roughly 125K a month just to keep pace, it’s still far below the kind of robust pace necessary to put the millions of Americans forced out of the workforce back to work. It is the highest level for ADP’s report since February of last year, when the job market was mildly improving. However, assuming that ADP’s report accurately reflects tomorrow’s BLS report, we would have to have 89 months of this kind of growth over population expansion to re-employ 8 million of those who left the workforce over the last four years."

boards of FL

boards of FL

nochain wrote:Better than a sharp stick in the eye but not great given the job types:

"Small businesses didn’t do much hiring, only adding 25,000 positions — and small businesses of less than 20 employees actually lost 6,000 jobs. The goods-producing sector looked weak with only 28,000 jobs added, as manufacturing dropped by 11,000 jobs. The service sector looked relatively strong, however:

Service-providing jobs increased by 187,000. Among the service industries reported by the ADP National Employment Report, trade/transportation/utilities services had the largest gain with 53,000 jobs added over the month. Professional/business services added 37,000 jobs and financial activities added 14,000 jobs in December.
Although the 215K level would indicate actual growth in terms of population expansion, which requires roughly 125K a month just to keep pace, it’s still far below the kind of robust pace necessary to put the millions of Americans forced out of the workforce back to work. It is the highest level for ADP’s report since February of last year, when the job market was mildly improving. However, assuming that ADP’s report accurately reflects tomorrow’s BLS report, we would have to have 89 months of this kind of growth over population expansion to re-employ 8 million of those who left the workforce over the last four years."

Seeing as how we have had over 30 months of consecutive job growth, it seems as if we are making good progress, yes?

Captn Kaoz

Captn Kaoz

With 30 consecutive months of job growth maybe we can start cutting back on the entitlements that have enjoyed massive growth as well.

nochain wrote:Better than a sharp stick in the eye but not great given the job types:

So most of the growth was in service industry? Well, they will all be on public assistance as we know that 215k jobs will pay minimum wage at best.

I hope you didn't expect any of the "tea bags" to agree,Boards?

Dreamsglore wrote:I hope you didn't expect any of the "tea bags" to agree,Boards?

Are you telling us you know about "tea bagging"? LOL

I don't see you denying that the service industry type of jobs was the area of improvement. Is that what you want for your kids and grandkids? I should hope not, but then again you walked to school in 10 miles of snow without shoes....

PACEDOG#1 wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:I hope you didn't expect any of the "tea bags" to agree,Boards?

Are you telling us you know about "tea bagging"? LOL

I don't see you denying that the service industry type of jobs was the area of improvement. Is that what you want for your kids and grandkids? I should hope not, but then again you walked to school in 10 miles of snow without shoes....

You're putting down service industry jobs? You're in one of the lowest paying professional jobs.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Isn't it nice that our worries are now over the quality of new jobs that are being created in the private sector, rather than figuring out how to stop the hundreds of thousands of jobs that are being shed by the private sector on a monthly basis? We certainly are better off now than we were four years ago, aren't we?

boards of FL wrote:Isn't it nice that our worries are now over the quality of new jobs that are being created in the private sector, rather than figuring out how to stop the hundreds of thousands of jobs that are being shed by the private sector on a monthly basis? We certainly are better off now than we were four years ago, aren't we?

Thought Obama had all the answers, thought he was going to save the country.

Are we better off than we were 4 years ago? Guess that depends on your definition of better. From where I'm sitting we are circling the bottom of the bowl.

We should worry about the quality of jobs being created. We have shed tens of thousands of good paying jobs just to replace them with minimum wage service jobs and that is suppose to help how?

boards of FL

boards of FL

alecto wrote:
boards of FL wrote:Isn't it nice that our worries are now over the quality of new jobs that are being created in the private sector, rather than figuring out how to stop the hundreds of thousands of jobs that are being shed by the private sector on a monthly basis? We certainly are better off now than we were four years ago, aren't we?

Thought Obama had all the answers, thought he was going to save the country.

Are we better off than we were 4 years ago? Guess that depends on your definition of better. From where I'm sitting we are circling the bottom of the bowl.

We should worry about the quality of jobs being created. We have shed tens of thousands of good paying jobs just to replace them with minimum wage service jobs and that is suppose to help how?

How are we not better off? We were losing 700,000+ jobs per month in early 2009 and thought the world was about to end. Today we are adding 200,000+ jobs per month.

Stagnant wages/rising cost of living/enormous growing debt/ rising taxes/sluggish growth... what can go wrong?

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:Stagnant wages/rising cost of living/enormous growing debt/ rising taxes/sluggish growth... what can go wrong?

Aren't wage issues a symptom of globalization? Isn't growing debt a symptom of tax cuts coupled with multiple wars, prescription drug plans, baby boomers, and the great recession? Correct me if I am wrong, but you probably voted for George W, you are yourself a baby boomer, and you also probably support free market economics/trade, yes?

boards of FL wrote:
nochain wrote:Bett[/b]."

Seeing as how we have had over 30 months of consecutive job growth, it seems as if we are making good progress, yes?

These folks would tend to disagree with your bright shiny object cherry picking:

"Forget discouraged, 3 million workers hopelessly unemployed"

http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/04/news/economy/hopelessly-unemployed-workers/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

ADP Employment Report:  215,000 private sector jobs added in December. 130103025622-hopeless-discouraged-jobs-street-sign-monster

Margin Call

Margin Call

All of this positive economic data is going to be horrible for the economy if the Fed takes the crack pipe away.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Margin Call wrote:All of this positive economic data is going to be horrible for the economy if the Fed takes the crack pipe away.

Today's employment situation report is a mixed bag.

boards of FL wrote:
Margin Call wrote:All of this positive economic data is going to be horrible for the economy if the Fed takes the crack pipe away.

Today's employment situation report is a mixed bag.

Stagnant but with the uncertainty of the "fiscal cliff" the past month, hardly surprising. Doubtful things will improve in REAL terms in the near future with all of the unfinished fiscal business still floating around D.C.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum