Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Social Security life expectancy fact.......2.6 years longer working life in 50 years

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

I just heard on the radio that taking out birth death rates, and focusing on work life expectancy, that in fifty years the life expectancy has only increased 2.6 years or about 32 months.

Why can't we take the age of retirement back one month for the next 32 years. The logic is that life expectancy will probably improve over the next 32 years, but we will slowly be correcting the actuarial tables. A forty year old paying into the system will be looking at 67 for full benefits, but more importantly than this incremental change will be taking the cap off social security earnings being taxed. Why can't these two simple modifications be made an bring total solvency to SS not for 35 years, but forever. The 3 trillion surplus will remain a surplus........despite the babyboom bubble.

If all goes well and my health stays good, I am working until 63 and then hanging it up. My wife retires about the same time and I want to spend the rest of my life doting after her for letting me gallavant around the world putting "foot in arse" for my country. Trying to wait until 67 is a reach for most people Seaoat, including yourself. I'm taking my reduced benefit at the aforementioned age of 63. It will take the average 70 year old who takes his/her benefits at that age neary 14 years to catch up.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:I just heard on the radio that taking out birth death rates, and focusing on work life expectancy, that in fifty years the life expectancy has only increased 2.6 years or about 32 months.

Why can't we take the age of retirement back one month for the next 32 years. The logic is that life expectancy will probably improve over the next 32 years, but we will slowly be correcting the actuarial tables. A forty year old paying into the system will be looking at 67 for full benefits, but more importantly than this incremental change will be taking the cap off social security earnings being taxed. Why can't these two simple modifications be made an bring total solvency to SS not for 35 years, but forever. The 3 trillion surplus will remain a surplus........despite the babyboom bubble.

Democrats refuse to allow any changes. They believe we have a money tree or the cash is coming from Obama's Stash.

2seaoat

I think you could keep early retirement at 62. Full retirement would be at 67 in 30 years. Plenty of time for people to adjust. I am taking early retirement at 62 next December. I will not live to 65 so my choice is easy. However, if I am 40, I would have plenty of time to adjust.

2seaoat wrote:I think you could keep early retirement at 62. Full retirement would be at 67 in 30 years. Plenty of time for people to adjust. I am taking early retirement at 62 next December. I will not live to 65 so my choice is easy. However, if I am 40, I would have plenty of time to adjust.

Full retirement for someone of my age is 70. I have to work through age 63 to earn DROP. That is the only reason I won't be retiring at 62.

6Social Security life expectancy fact.......2.6 years longer working life in 50 years Empty LOL 12/25/2012, 5:57 pm

surfnrg

surfnrg

2seaoat wrote:I think you could keep early retirement at 62. Full retirement would be at 67 in 30 years. Plenty of time for people to adjust. I am taking early retirement at 62 next December. I will not live to 65 so my choice is easy. However, if I am 40, I would have plenty of time to adjust.

exactly one month earlier than me. You would be nuts to wait until 67. Wait, seaoat don't we go at 66 for full benefits, 65 for medicare??

I can't remember, stress has burned my memory out, and yes there is a chemical reason for this.... (Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers Smile)

2seaoat

Wait, seaoat don't we go at 66 for full benefits?

1943-1954 66

You are correct. I will continue working at 62 and will pay my wife a salary. All during her years as a teacher, I paid her a salary so she could get minimum quarterly qualifications. She is fully medicaid qualified as a result, and all I do is give her a big raise when I retire......I use a straight schedule c tax return, and I have already a proven track record of paying her a salary.....I have her do the books with quickbooks.......so my reduction of ss benefits will be much less as she pulls a good salary, and therein reduces my income. I will never see one day of 66. However, when I pass because of my wife's large government pension.....she will see only a few cents on the dollar of social security benefits after my passing.......most of what I paid in will never leave the system.....and this happens much more than is discussed....premature death......illegal aliens who pay in for thirty years on a false social security card, but will never take benefits.......Small changes of a few months over the next thirty years will keep social security solvent....but most importantly......end the cap on income, and make people pay all the way up to a million dollars of income.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

There will be no political will to fix Social Security. The Baby Boom generation will suck whatever life is left in the SS system, and it will likely end up crashing upon their heads. I should say "our heads" as I am an older Baby Boomer (I just turned 61). We'll know in about 12 more years.

I read a book this year, written in 1997, that predicts the Baby Boomers, especially the younger members of this generational cohort, are in for a shock as they enter retirement. The authors predicted a massive crash of the economic system which will be so severe that the government will be forced to change the way it allocates money. The 2008 crash was just a telltale of what is to come.

The book, The Fourth Turning, is not about politics or economics, but about how humanity has followed a certain generational pattern since antiquity. Every 80 to 100 years, there is a Fourth Turning, which is a period of crisis. The last Fourth Turnng occured from 1929-1945, and culminated in World War II. We are due for another Fourth Turning. The authors predicted it would begin about the middle of the 00 decade. They wrote this book in 1997, and had no way of predicting 9/11 and the 2008 crash. The surviving author now says the current Fourth Turning began with the 2008 economic crash, and will culminate around 2025. So we may be in for worse economic travail than 2008, and a really big war--even a nuclear one.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

no stress

no stress

PACEDOG#1 wrote:

Full retirement for someone of my age is 70. I have to work through age 63 to earn DROP. That is the only reason I won't be retiring at 62.

I'm 48. Been in the DROP for two years now. Me and my buddy are gonna get a gig stocking ATM machines when I finally sever from the FD. Gptta do something til sweetie decides to retire.

Markle

Markle

Gunz wrote:
PACEDOG#1 wrote:

I'm 48. Been in the DROP for two years now. Me and my buddy are gonna get a gig stocking ATM machines when I finally sever from the FD. Gptta do something til sweetie decides to retire.

Totally unrelated, do you live in the Florida Keys?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum