Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Can someone please help me identify some Navy aircraft in a photo?

+2
TEOTWAWKI
Hospital Bob
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

This is the deck of the Forrestal in 1965. I know the prominent aircraft is an A4 Skyhawk but does anyone recognize the helicopter behind it and the prop plane to the right of it?
And are the officers seen in the photo likely to be Navy pilots?
And was the Forrestal deployed to Southeast Asia in 1965?

Thanks.

https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img805/1191/group1x.jpg

Last edited by Bob on 12/13/2012, 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Your picture didn't show up but the prop plane is probably a sky raider

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Bob wrote:This is the deck of the Forrestal in 1965. I know the prominent aircraft is an A4 Skyhawk but does anyone recognize the helicopter behind it and the prop plane to the right of it?
And are the officers seen in the photo likely to be Navy pilots?
And was the Forrestal deployed to Southeast Asia in 1965?

Thanks.

Bob,

You should forget you ever saw this. It's a top secret spy plane and still listed as top secret.

Too late. It was nice knowing you bob.

Photo removed by National Security Agency. Federal law prohibits the disclosure of classified photos.

Bluebonnet

Cool if it was. My dad flew both the Skyraider and the A-4, and was a CO of a California-based squadron when they transitioned from the former to the latter. May well have been a shot of his squadron.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

sorry I left the link to the pic out. here it is.

https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img805/1191/group1x.jpg

Nekochan

Nekochan

Hubby says that the prop plane is a C-1. The helicopter is an H-2.

Why don't you just post the picture, Bob?

Can someone please help me identify some Navy aircraft in a photo? Group110

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Looks like the original F35 strike fighter. CLASSIFIED.
Nice knowing you all.
Glad I have clearence.

Nekochan

Nekochan

All the men are enlisted. Except the guy in orange might be a pilot because they did have orange flight suits back then.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Ghandi wrote:Looks like the original F35 strike fighter. CLASSIFIED.
Nice knowing you all.
Glad I have clearence.

lol.

Bob, is this one of your yard sale finds?

Nekochan

Nekochan

Eric, are you in Hoover this week? If you are, is it as cold there as it is here? We went from the warm mid 60s last weekend to lows in the 20s. The wood stove has been fired up all week. This afternoon I put a couple of sweet potatoes in the wood stove to cook for dinner. They were so delicious.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Yomama wrote:Bob, is this one of your yard sale finds?
I bought several hundred slides at an estate sale all taken by a Navy pilot during the 60's and 70's and this is one of them.

Bluebonnet

Wow this is some kind of historical shot, Bob!

The prop planes with the folded wings are indeed A1 Skyraiders or Spads. The plane in the far back is an F-4B Phantom. If this indeed the Forrestal, it was the scene of a fire that killed over a hundred enlisted men when a Zuni rocket was fired off due to an electrical problem and hit the fuel tank of a Spad about to take off. John McCain was one of the A4 pilots on deck during the explosion.

Last edited by Soleil on 12/13/2012, 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I cruised with it in Nam we nicked named it the forrestfire. Mine was called the Gay Jose because of one particular seaman that was doing his best to get discharged.

Bluebonnet

TEOTWAWKI wrote:I cruised with it in Nam we nicked named it the forrestfire.

Ha, yes, have heard it referred to as that. My dad was an LCDR flying Skyraiders at the time on the Coral Sea.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Soleil wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:I cruised with it in Nam we nicked named it the forrestfire.

Ha, yes, have heard it referred to as that. My dad was an LCDR flying Skyraiders at the time on the Coral Sea.

Well ask him about the night an A6 Intruder off the Coral sea bombed a destroyer off the coast of Vietnam thinking it was a couple trucks in the jungle...Those bombs woke me up from a good nights sleep !

Last edited by TEOTWAWKI on 12/13/2012, 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nekochan

Nekochan

Hubby says it's a C-1 and that the A-1 looks totally different.
The A-1's prop is on its nose.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

McDonnel Douglas A-4 Skyhawk center. Grumman S-2 Tracker with folded wings to the right. Helicopter in background left is Kaman SH-2.

The Sky Hawk is an early model, likely an A-4B or C. The helicopter is an early SH-2, before these were upgraded to the LAMPS II version.

Edited: Nelo's husband is correct-the Grumman is a C-1 COD version of the S-2.

When I was in flight school I passed the aircraft recognition test the first time I trook it.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:McDonnel Douglas A-4 Skyhawk center. Grumman S-2 Tracker with folded wings to the right. Helicopter in background left is Kaman SH-2.

The Sky Hawk is an early model, likely an A-4B or C. The helicopter is an early SH-2, before these were upgraded to the LAMPS II version.

When I was in flight school I passed the aircraft recognition test the first time I trook it.

Knowing how to recognise different air planes would be a neat thing to know. I usually refer to most flying air-planes as a "Jets" or if it has a prop a "Cessna"

Bluebonnet

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:McDonnel Douglas A-4 Skyhawk center. Grumman S-2 Tracker with folded wings to the right. Helicopter in background left is Kaman SH-2.

Apparently I was watching too much Gilligan's Island at the time ...yes, it is a C-1 see the prop is not front and center as noted. I can pretty much name every major star in the sky by numerical designation though. Guess I had better stick to that.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Well, it helps that hubby has worked on and around aircraft, especially navy aircraft, for over 30 years. He can sometimes tell, just from the sound of an aircraft, what kind it is. But now we are here in Huntsville with nary a navy aircraft around Sad I do miss the sound of navy jets.

Bluebonnet

Zug and Teo...ever-present reminders of those days are tailhooks of both an A4 and A1, as well as a Spad prop on my dad's "I Love Me Wall" in the den of their house. Clearly my mom lost the decorating battle on that one....

Nekochan

Nekochan

Every old sailor needs his own room.......

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum