Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How the Grinch Stole Christmas

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1How the Grinch Stole Christmas Empty How the Grinch Stole Christmas 12/6/2012, 11:53 am

Captn Kaoz

Captn Kaoz

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_22133907/seniors-decry-ban-christmas-tree-their-complex-newhall

I spent Christmas in Abu Dhabi in 1991 during the first Persian Gulf Excursion. We went into the Hotel Intercontinental and to my surprise it was decorated for Christmas. There were Christmas trees and Santa Claus flying in his sleigh and Christmas music played in the background. Imagine in a muslim country a Hotel was decorated for Christmas. Meanwhile back in America, they cannot put up a Christmas tree in a seniors apartment complex.

Sal

Sal

http://bligbi.com/2008/11/26/toby-keith-on-the-war-on-christmas/

Captn Kaoz wrote:http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_22133907/seniors-decry-ban-christmas-tree-their-complex-newhall

I spent Christmas in Abu Dhabi in 1991 during the first Persian Gulf Excursion. We went into the Hotel Intercontinental and to my surprise it was decorated for Christmas. There were Christmas trees and Santa Claus flying in his sleigh and Christmas music played in the background. Imagine in a muslim country a Hotel was decorated for Christmas. Meanwhile back in America, they cannot put up a Christmas tree in a seniors apartment complex.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

LOL....it's not a religious symbol. It was co-opted from the pagans but try explaining that to those folk.

Happy Chriskwanakkah....!!!!

BTW....JC was born in Sept. Did you remember to celebrate...?

Captn Kaoz wrote:http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_22133907/seniors-decry-ban-christmas-tree-their-complex-newhall

Interesting. My brother has spent Christmas in Abu Dhabi (and I believe one Thanksgiving, if memory serves) as well and told a similar story of wherever he'd stayed. Maybe it was the same place if the armed forces recommends it to our guys serving overseas... who knows?

Regarding the article... why could the organization not poll the folks who live there to find out who is Jewish, Christian, &c and celebrate all varieties of the holiday season that are represented in their population?? That seems such an easy, no-brainer remedy... I am not religious at all and never have been, so to me Christmas is about being with my family and things like that. But I sure as hell do think those folks should have their Christmas tree.

What a thing to take away from people in a seniors complex. I hope their families are crying out in outrage as well. That can often leave a mark.

Shameful.

EDIT:

I get the points made in you all's posts, but people believe in what they believe in, and religious symbols (co-opted or not)... well, it is what it is, and who am I to judge another persons religious beliefs and what they regard as their religious symbols?

As I said above I am not religious at all and never have been, but I would not judge another person's religious beliefs simply because I don't believe in them, or even with backing of facts versus faith.

It might be notable that I have never and will never have a Christmas tree in my own home, but I'm not likely to disparage another for doing the same.

Last edited by riceme on 12/6/2012, 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add comments to Sal + TB)

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

I wonder how the management of this place is going to walk this back? This is just stupid and menorah's too. Rolling Eyes

riceme wrote:

Interesting. My brother has spent Christmas in Abu Dhabi (and I believe one Thanksgiving, if memory serves) as well and told a similar story of wherever he'd stayed. Maybe it was the same place if the armed forces recommends it to our guys serving overseas... who knows?

Regarding the article... why could the organization not poll the folks who live there to find out who is Jewish, Christian, &c and celebrate all varieties of the holiday season that are represented in their population?? That seems such an easy, no-brainer remedy... I am not religious at all and never have been, so to me Christmas is about being with my family and things like that. But I sure as hell do think those folks should have their Christmas tree.

What a thing to take away from people in a seniors complex. I hope their families are crying out in outrage as well. That can often leave a mark.

Shameful.

EDIT:

I get the points made in you all's posts, but people believe in what they believe in, and religious symbols (co-opted or not)... well, it is what it is, and who am I to judge another persons religious beliefs and what they regard as their religious symbols?

As I said above I am not religious at all and never have been, but I would not judge another person's religious beliefs simply because I don't believe in them, or even with backing of facts versus faith.

It might be notable that I have never and will never have a Christmas tree in my own home, but I'm not likely to disparage another for doing the same.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Please don't misunderstand my feelings about this. I also believe they should have their tree, and the punitive action taken by the "Tree Police" is petty and wrong-minded.

I was just disagreeing that the Christmas Tree is a "religious fetish". It is only because some folk think it is.

Tar and feather the Grinch and let them have their tree.

I wonder if they allow a Menorah....?

Incidentally, in a huge case of irony the most famous and well loved Christmas music was written by Jews.

And please call me Bill or WT...thanx.

Happy Chriskwanukkah...!!!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum