Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fiscal cliff.....what say you.....

+4
Margin Call
knothead
ZVUGKTUBM
2seaoat
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Fiscal cliff.....what say you..... Empty Fiscal cliff.....what say you..... 11/30/2012, 12:08 am

2seaoat

I think we go over the cliff......President Obama has been making a great deal of noise about not wanting to go over the cliff, but when he masterminded this strategy, he knew that his opponents would do exactly what they are doing, and when the each person in January gets less on their take home.......well kiss 2014 and the house goodbye. Now, President Obama will have automatic cuts in defense, and he will use retribution in those cuts......the smart course is to sign the middle class tax cuts....they have lost the tactical and strategic battle, but looking even more impotent....is not a smart strategy to save the house in 2014.....stupid is what stupid does.

This wouldn't be an issue if Romney would have won.

2seaoat

This wouldn't be an issue if Romney would have won.

Actually, If Romney had won, the house would be with him, but the Senate still would have probably remained steadfast in not renewing the Bush tax cuts except for the middle class......so they would have let it go over the cliff also..........and the question is......did in the attempt to not see the President reelected......did Republicans give too much ground in the compromise to allow the Bush tax cuts to automatically be removed.........I think Romney had no part in any of those decisions.....Romney would have been powerless to change what is going to most certainly happen......Republican defection and passage of a middle class bill, or going over the cliff and slowly but surely republicans coming forward and saying that they are voting for a tax reduction......and so it goes.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

2seaoat wrote:I think we go over the cliff......President Obama has been making a great deal of noise about not wanting to go over the cliff, but when he masterminded this strategy, he knew that his opponents would do exactly what they are doing, and when the each person in January gets less on their take home.......well kiss 2014 and the house goodbye. Now, President Obama will have automatic cuts in defense, and he will use retribution in those cuts......the smart course is to sign the middle class tax cuts....they have lost the tactical and strategic battle, but looking even more impotent....is not a smart strategy to save the house in 2014.....stupid is what stupid does.

I think you nailed it correctly, and succinctly. The President won political capital on November 6th and he is definitely going to play hardball with it. If GOP House leaders are not careful, Republicans might lose the House in 2014. It should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

PACEDOG#1 wrote:This wouldn't be an issue if Romney would have won.

So say you.... Romney talked a good game, but he never specified exactly how his game would be played. Electing Romney would have changed nothing about the fundamentals behind the so-called "fiscal cliff." His real intentions were to run the same deficits Obama has run and use the money to build an even bigger military and start wars in places like Iran.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

knothead

knothead

2seaoat wrote:I think we go over the cliff......President Obama has been making a great deal of noise about not wanting to go over the cliff, but when he masterminded this strategy, he knew that his opponents would do exactly what they are doing, and when the each person in January gets less on their take home.......well kiss 2014 and the house goodbye. Now, President Obama will have automatic cuts in defense, and he will use retribution in those cuts......the smart course is to sign the middle class tax cuts....they have lost the tactical and strategic battle, but looking even more impotent....is not a smart strategy to save the house in 2014.....stupid is what stupid does.

Mr. Oat, I too agree with your conclusion . . . . . we are witnessing a sad but almost laughable collapse of the tea party crowd getting their agenda stuck where the sun does not shine . . . . it was inevitable that America would eventually wake up and realize these people are not friends to America . . . . . patriots? I don't think so . . . .

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
PACEDOG#1 wrote:This wouldn't be an issue if Romney would have won.

So say you.... Romney talked a good game, but he never specified exactly how his game would be played. Electing Romney would have changed nothing about the fundamentals behind the so-called "fiscal cliff." His real intentions were to run the same deficits Obama has run and use the money to build an even bigger military and start wars in places like Iran.

Where are the POTUS' specifics except to spend more and cut nothing?

I think the so called cliff would be a good first step toward some fiscal sanity in washington.

Margin Call

Margin Call

What's everyone worried about...Congress is in session for nine more days this year. Shocked

Sal

Sal

I can't stop smiling when I read shit like this ...

Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) on Thursday rejected a White House offer to avoid the "fiscal cliff" that would include $1.6 trillion in tax increases, $400 billion in spending cuts and a more permanent increase in the debt ceiling, Republican aides said.

Aides said the offer was made by Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner and Rob Nabors, a top White House adviser, during their meeting with Republican leaders in the Capitol.

While the Obama administration described the offer as reducing the deficit by $4 trillion over 10 years, Republicans told The Hill its tax increases amount to $600 billion more than what the Democratic-led Senate passed earlier this year when it approved legislation that would allow tax rates on top earners to rise. “We’ve offered a balanced approach to deal with the fiscal cliff: raising revenue in a way that protects jobs while cutting spending,” said a Republican congressional aide familiar with the proposal. “But, after two weeks of discussions, the offer the White House made today is completely unbalanced and unreasonable, and amounts to little more than reiterating the president’s budget request — which failed to get a single vote in the House or Senate.”

House Democrats backed the White House for putting forward an offer based on Obama’s 2013 budget.

House Budget Committee ranking member Rep. Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.), emerging from a meeting with Geithner where leaders were briefed on the offer, said it is House GOP leaders who must now put forth their plan.

“The Republicans have made some nice, positive noises but they haven't put a plan on the table,” Van Hollen added.

Republicans said the administration is demanding the $1.6 trillion in tax increases upfront, while the smaller amount of spending cuts would come later. The White House also wants $50 billion in new stimulus spending, according to published reports, and to make permanent a change in the way the debt ceiling is raised so that Congress can only block it with a two-thirds majority.

“This offer represents a complete break from reality,” the Republican aide said.

http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/domestic-taxes/270205-gop-rejects-debt-deal-offer-from-white-house

Au contraire.

This is precisely the "reality" that the Repukes are facing.

The administration is threatening to weaken their ability to obstruct in the Senate or to blow up the economy by holding the debt ceiling hostage, while also demanding tax hikes on the rich and refusing to offer anything remotely satisfactory (from the Repukes' point of view) in spending cuts.

Give the president what he wants or over the cliff we go.

And the GOP gets the blame no matter what happens.

To think that the President offered them $4 in spending cuts for every $1 of new revenue last year, and they walked away.

John Boehner is the worst Speaker in history, and it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I don't know who is worse - Boehner or Reid. Seems they are both willing to throw the baby out with the bath water to prove their partisan points - whatever those are. The R's need to realize a tax increase somewhere is inevitable whether they take action or not. The D's need to realize their spending habits could use some taming down on the entitlement side of the fence. In short, both sides need to give and take to work this out. The ones who are really going to get hit the hardest are the middle class. Ready for a true recession?

2seaoat

Going over the cliff is no big deal to me, and I have always said we all have to pay more taxes and return to Clinton era tax rates if we are going to make this thing work. Far more important to small business owners are credit in commercial transactions and current bank lending practices. Small business must rely on lines of credit to operate and expand. The tax increase of 4% is absolutely not relevant in my business decisions, and I laugh when people post that raising taxes is the end of the world.....it is such a small increase, yet when you cannot renew your lines of credit because the virtual freeze on commercial lending.....that is a killer.....we will survive going over the cliff and the truth is......it probably long term is the right decision.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Margin Call wrote:What's everyone worried about...Congress is in session for nine more days this year. Shocked

Do you have any positions right now, or are you just waiting?

Fiscal cliff.....what say you..... Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQr9r3gGYS0nhjgYpOS6qcuIyAD4q42J7aDD25NoEZC9XYkX9-S_w

Not to worry. We can alway auction off what's in the Smithsonian and other museums around the country. After all it's only...

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkhX5W7JoWI

Smile

Margin Call

Margin Call

boards of FL wrote:
Margin Call wrote:What's everyone worried about...Congress is in session for nine more days this year. Shocked

I have a few, very small positions that I started Thursday and Friday after enjoying a monster move in AAPL: short S&P500, short CRM, long DUST, and long AMRN (lotto ticket for next week). Not much happening so far.

You?

Sal wrote:I can't stop smiling when I read shit like this ...

Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) on Thursday rejected a White House offer to avoid the "fiscal cliff" that would include $1.6 trillion in tax increases, $400 billion in spending cuts and a more permanent increase in the debt ceiling, Republican aides said.

Aides said the offer was made by Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner and Rob Nabors, a top White House adviser, during their meeting with Republican leaders in the Capitol.

While the Obama administration described the offer as reducing the deficit by $4 trillion over 10 years, Republicans told The Hill its tax increases amount to $600 billion more than what the Democratic-led Senate passed earlier this year when it approved legislation that would allow tax rates on top earners to rise. “We’ve offered a balanced approach to deal with the fiscal cliff: raising revenue in a way that protects jobs while cutting spending,” said a Republican congressional aide familiar with the proposal. “But, after two weeks of discussions, the offer the White House made today is completely unbalanced and unreasonable, and amounts to little more than reiterating the president’s budget request — which failed to get a single vote in the House or Senate.”

House Democrats backed the White House for putting forward an offer based on Obama’s 2013 budget.

House Budget Committee ranking member Rep. Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.), emerging from a meeting with Geithner where leaders were briefed on the offer, said it is House GOP leaders who must now put forth their plan.

“The Republicans have made some nice, positive noises but they haven't put a plan on the table,” Van Hollen added.

Republicans said the administration is demanding the $1.6 trillion in tax increases upfront, while the smaller amount of spending cuts would come later. The White House also wants $50 billion in new stimulus spending, according to published reports, and to make permanent a change in the way the debt ceiling is raised so that Congress can only block it with a two-thirds majority.

“This offer represents a complete break from reality,” the Republican aide said.

http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/domestic-taxes/270205-gop-rejects-debt-deal-offer-from-white-house

Au contraire.

This is precisely the "reality" that the Repukes are facing.

The administration is threatening to weaken their ability to obstruct in the Senate or to blow up the economy by holding the debt ceiling hostage, while also demanding tax hikes on the rich and refusing to offer anything remotely satisfactory (from the Repukes' point of view) in spending cuts.

Give the president what he wants or over the cliff we go.

And the GOP gets the blame no matter what happens.

To think that the President offered them $4 in spending cuts for every $1 of new revenue last year, and they walked away.

John Boehner is the worst Speaker in history, and it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I love it! I wonder if Boehner's been sober one day this week?

Margin Call

Margin Call

No compromise, debt ceiling gets hit in ~two weeks!

boards of FL

boards of FL

Margin Call wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

I have a few, very small positions that I started Thursday and Friday after enjoying a monster move in AAPL: short S&P500, short CRM, long DUST, and long AMRN (lotto ticket for next week). Not much happening so far.

You?

I'm holding out to see if a deal is made before I touch anything at this point.

Margin Call

Margin Call

Time to get bullish again?

Regarding resolution of the fiscal cliff -

“I think America is poised to take off.”
-Obama, December 4, 2012

REWIND:

"What you're now seeing is profit-and-earning ratios are starting to get to the point where buying stocks is a potentially good deal..."
-Obama, March 4, 2009

boards of FL

boards of FL

Margin Call wrote:Time to get bullish again?

Regarding resolution of the fiscal cliff -

“I think America is poised to take off.”
-Obama, December 4, 2012

REWIND:

"What you're now seeing is profit-and-earning ratios are starting to get to the point where buying stocks is a potentially good deal..."
-Obama, March 4, 2009

"BUY. BUY. BUY. B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-BUY. B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-BUY."

Fiscal cliff.....what say you..... 2Q==

NaNook

NaNook

Do it, I don't care. I've been around, you know......

Should be some cheap assets after , "da Cliff". Meanwhile, who knows?

NaNook wrote:Do it, I don't care. I've been around, you know......

Fiscal cliff.....what say you..... Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTa4UInbZZRYOcH8qsBLQfLl9k_2fHBTNOc6DftH8VcNpftlB0Ogg

The first family can always move downward. Plenty of small little...

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOfkpu6749w

Smile

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Damaged Eagle wrote:
NaNook wrote:Do it, I don't care. I've been around, you know......

Fiscal cliff.....what say you..... Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTa4UInbZZRYOcH8qsBLQfLl9k_2fHBTNOc6DftH8VcNpftlB0Ogg

The first family can always move downward. Plenty of small little...

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOfkpu6749w

Smile

In your sick, sordid wet dream.

knothead

knothead

Having taken in the investment advice from forum friends . . . . . thank you but getting back on the topic of 'Fiscal Cliff . . . . . what say you' I wanted to weigh in on the topic.

Obama will not relent on his insistence that taxes must be increased on income above $250,000. Non-negotiable . . . . why? Partly retribution for past battles and partly because it is what he has campaigned on for many months . . . consistently I might add. While I am a supporter of the Obama administration I am hopeful that I am not witnessing a 'spike the ball' moment and that once the GOP acquiesce on raising taxes generating $1.6 T over ten years the Obama team will complete their campaign promise of a 'balanced approach by making serious cuts to our spending. I expect my team to do the right thing and bring serious cuts to the table for both fiscal and political reasons.

Floridatexan wrote:
In your sick, sordid wet dream.

Fiscal cliff.....what say you..... Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-XK2aSln4jyYMcXNzw9Egj_W8A4_iL94_VVng6P1Rxbf1EZxdAw

Not with you darlin'!!!!!

Evil or Very Mad

Even if I was utilizing Markle's manly thing and we were using triple protection.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLf3EY_e_tU

Razz

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum