Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

COLD today in Huntsville

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1COLD today in Huntsville  Empty COLD today in Huntsville 11/24/2012, 9:05 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

It's been cold here all day...only up to the mid 40s for the high. So hubby started a fire this morning in the wood stove. I had bought a large sweet potato the other day and I put it in the stove to bake this morning. It baked in the wood stove for a couple of hours. Hubby and I had it for lunch and it was sooooo good. Best sweet potato I've had in years. So, I do not like winter time but I'm trying to find positive things that I like about the winter season....just to get me through the next three months, lol. And one thing I like is a hot fire in the wood stove.

2COLD today in Huntsville  Empty Re: COLD today in Huntsville 11/24/2012, 9:20 pm

Nekochan wrote:It's been cold here all day...only up to the mid 40s for the high. So hubby started a fire this morning in the wood stove. I had bought a large sweet potato the other day and I put it in the stove to bake this morning. It baked in the wood stove for a couple of hours. Hubby and I had it for lunch and it was sooooo good. Best sweet potato I've had in years. So, I do not like winter time but I'm trying to find positive things that I like about the winter season....just to get me through the next three months, lol. And one thing I like is a hot fire in the wood stove.

Not quite that temp here in the panhandle today, but that Huntsville weather sounds like my kind of weather.

3COLD today in Huntsville  Empty Re: COLD today in Huntsville 11/24/2012, 11:53 pm

It's cold here too, Neko! My weather app says it's 45, but the fancy-schmancy weather station here at the house says it's 33. I think I'm gonna have to shut the few windows I have open. I love the cool, fresh air, but this is just getting too much, even for me. I think it's under 50 in my house right now, which is definitely below my lower-limit. I like it about 55.

COLD today in Huntsville  A_christmas_story_3_fixed

^^The Christmas Story is probably the only Christmas movie that I like, and I don't just "like" it, I LOVE it. Sooo hilarious. I've watched it a gajillion times.

4COLD today in Huntsville  Empty Re: COLD today in Huntsville 11/25/2012, 12:11 am

Nekochan

Nekochan

That's one of my husband's favorite movies.

I think it's supposed to be a little warmer here tomorrow and then up to around 60 by the first of the week.

5COLD today in Huntsville  Empty Re: COLD today in Huntsville 11/25/2012, 1:01 am

Nekochan wrote:That's one of my husband's favorite movies.

I think it's supposed to be a little warmer here tomorrow and then up to around 60 by the first of the week.

It's a great movie.

My weather app finally caught up with reality and now reflects that it is 35 out. Looks like it's going to remain roughly the same, lows getting only a little colder, highs getting a bit more colder this week.

6COLD today in Huntsville  Empty Re: COLD today in Huntsville 11/25/2012, 10:00 am

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Oh, it is soooo cold this morning! I debated putting my matress warmer on the bed last night, then thought, "Nah, it can't possibly get that cold."

I was wrong.

Not only that, but dear hubby, who loves cold weather, got up early this morning to bask in the balmy breezes wafting through our ancient house, and forgot to turn on the floor heater.

How I miss my old Keene aluminum wood heater I had down on the farm......! You are so lucky to have a wood stove, Neko!

7COLD today in Huntsville  Empty Re: COLD today in Huntsville 11/25/2012, 10:52 am

Nekochan

Nekochan

Oh, I understand, PB...my husband grew up in Alaska.

When we first went house hunting and we looked at this house...we both loved it. But when I saw the wood stove I thought--'that thing is old and ugly and we'll never use it.' But we do. I grew up with a fireplace in my parents house but the fireplace we had when I was a kid was 150 degrees if you stood right up by the fire but 30 degrees if you were 6 feet away...or that's what it felt like, anyway, lol. The wood stove gives out a much more even heat. We put a small fan up in the corner of the doorway that moves air from the sun room (where the stove is) into the living/dining/kitchen areas. The only rooms that the stove doesn't help heat are rooms we keep closed off--the bedrooms and laundry room. It takes a while to heat up a large area of the house, but by early afternoon yesterday, our living room was a comfortable 75 degrees with the AC turned off. I don't think it got above about 45 degrees here outside yesterday. But it was worth having a fire..for no other reason than just to cook that sweet potato Smile

8COLD today in Huntsville  Empty Re: COLD today in Huntsville 11/25/2012, 2:00 pm

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

And you know what? We have an old chimney in this house. It was already walled up when I bought the house years ago, so I've never seen anything of it except for the brick work on my roof. Who knows what we will find if we ever unblock it? A hidden cache of gold, perhaps?

Every year about this time, I think about tearing into it and buying a wood stove, but I know it would be a tremendous amount of work to get an old chimney in good working condition again. Still, I can dream....! Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum