Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Double Damn it!!!! Ding Dong trouble!!!!!

+3
othershoe1030
knothead
TEOTWAWKI
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Maker of Twinkies, Ding Dongs, Wonder Bread to shut down

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/11/16/3100160/hostess-to-close-cites-nationwide.html#storylink=cpy

RVING, Texas -- Hostess Brands says it is going out of business, closing plants that make Twinkies and Wonder Bread and Ding Dongs and laying off all of its 18,500 workers.

The Irving, Texas, company says a nationwide worker strike crippled its ability to make and deliver its products at several locations.

Hostess had warned employees that it would file a motion in U.S. Bankruptcy Court to unwind its business and sell assets if plant operations didn't return to normal levels by Thursday evening.

The privately held company filed for Chapter 11 protection in January, its second trip through bankruptcy court in less than a decade.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/11/16/3100160/hostess-to-close-cites-nationwide.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited by hallmarkgrad on 11/16/2012, 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total

The unions really showed them.... So 18,500 workers lose their job to prove what point??? Sounds legit.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Think of the lives that will be saved...think of the children.

knothead

knothead

It is a privately held company so that owner showed them who is boss!

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Think of the lives that will be saved...think of the children.

No kidding! Wonder Bread and Twinkies, not exactly health food!

The cake making companies are all in bad shape according to the article. People are looking for more healthy food choices. It is a matter of the market reacting to consumers choices.

As usual the situation is more complicated than blaming the downfall of this branch of the company on unreasonable union demands. As you can see here, the union members gave up a lot and the company still couldn't function.

It looks as if management didn't change with the times and are now trying to blame their position on the union rather than on their short sighted decisions?

"It is difficult for Teamster members to believe that is what the [Bakers union] Hostess members ultimately wanted to accomplish when they went out on strike," said the Teamsters' statement.
The Bakers' union has made several statements earlier in the week saying management is to blame for the condition of the company, not the strike.

The new contract cut salaries across the company by 8% in the first year of the five-year agreement. Salaries were then scheduled to bump up 3% in the next three years and 1% in the final year.
Hostess also reduced its pension obligations and its contribution to the employees' health care plan. In exchange, the company offered concessions, including a 25% equity stake for workers and the inclusion of two union representatives on an eight-member board of directors.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/16/news/companies/hostess-closing/

Bluebonnet

Hard to feel sorry for a company that built its bakeries backed up to mass slaughter houses to use the lard and by-products to make nasty, over-processed non-food.

The free market, made up of of Zumba soccer moms collectively said, "Disgusting".

The end.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

I can live without dindongs but they better not mess with the ho-ho's.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

This is the 3rd thread started on the subject of Hostess today. Must be some Twinkie lovers here.

Watch this lecture and you might think about limiting your sugar consumption (BTW, this video went viral after being posted to YouTube and has been viewed more than 2.5 million times since July of 2009):

I have eaten sweets and candy by the handfuls all my life, and have not touched a piece of candy since yesterday because of the information contained therein. I have Hershey bars and a bag of spice drops in a desk drawer not two-feet from my work station, and have been tempted to consume, but have resisted. It may not be a permanent thing, but I will tell you, this informaion hit me on the head like a sledge.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Markle

Markle

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Think of the lives that will be saved...think of the children.

They made Ding Dongs out of children? Who knew?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum