Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

This painting just sold for $75 million at auction. Someone please explain to me why.

+5
Sal
TEOTWAWKI
Yella
Floridatexan
Hospital Bob
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

This painting just sold for $75 million at auction.  Someone please explain to me why. Image4809432636725462356

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

$75 million is equivalent to four thousand, one hundred and sixty-six brand new Toyota Camrys.
Or almost one thousand $80,000 houses.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Or here's an even better question. Forget the $75 million. Why is that painting worth anything?

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Bob wrote:This painting just sold for $75 million at auction.  Someone please explain to me why. Image4809432636725462356

Ican't explain why anyone would pay $75 million for anything, but I can say that Rothko was a genius. There is a meditative quality to his paintings that can't be defined at first glance. To me, all true art goes beyond the superficial...bypasses the conscious...appeals to the inner being.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Floridatexan wrote:
Bob wrote:This painting just sold for $75 million at auction.  Someone please explain to me why. Image4809432636725462356

Ican't explain why anyone would pay $75 million for anything, but I can say that Rothko was a genius. There is a meditative quality to his paintings that can't be defined at first glance. To me, all true art goes beyond the superficial...bypasses the conscious...appeals to the inner being.

It must be in the eyes of the beholder. Because that painting reminds me of when I choose the wrong colors for a windows desktop, it hurts my eyes.

Yellar Must be worth a Jillion dollars if that bit of scrabble is worth 75 mil.

Yella

Yella

Bob wrote:Or here's an even better question. Forget the $75 million. Why is that painting worth anything?

Even if it was worth nothing it would still be worth shit.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

the blue is good... i guess.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

hallmarkgrad wrote:Yellar Must be worth a Jillion dollars if that bit of scrabble is worth 75 mil.
If that painting is worth $75 million, then there's about $50 billion worth of paintings in the wastebasket of every elementary school classroom.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Floridatexan wrote:

I can't explain why anyone would pay $75 million for anything
It will sell for that because it was worth $65 million last month and will be worth $85 million next month.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Fact is, nothing has any value...it is only has people want or need it that a value is assigned. Gold is just a rock..money is just funky paper. Life is important only to those that value it...Brown people's lives have become valuable to the military industrial complex because they give them a reason to exist and prosper...indeed the value of things may be what ails mankind...I guess that's why the Indians didn't understand the white men wanting land because the land was free....

Last edited by TEOTWAWKI on 11/14/2012, 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mark Rothko....I liked some of his work.....his approach to minimalism was what defined him as an artist. It's hard to understand why artists become obsessed with reducing their work to it's smallest number of line and color. Mondrian is a good example. His early works were like most of the French impressionists like Renoir, but as he progressed as an artist, his desire to paint in large "pixels" dominated his most famous paintings.

The use of pixels to create images dominates in the digital world....but they are so small we don't see the image as a series of tiny squares.

I have no idea why folk would spend that much other than as an investment. He died in 1970 (I think)....his works were monumental in scale....huge. They dominate a space. His work is now only available in Galleries and Museums, and when one comes on the market, an uber wealthy collector snaps it up.

Frankly, I don't "get it", but I do understand it. I sure framed a lot of his "art posters" which in and of itself is absurd. It's like trying to capture the Grand Canyon with a 110 point and shoot Kodak. The results are comepltely underwhelming.

Yella

Yella

PkrBum wrote:the blue is good... i guess.

Yeah! and how about that faded burnt orange.

Yella wrote:

I like orange. I like squares pretty good too... but not more than triangles.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Yella wrote:

The part I like the very best is where the orange paint dripped out of the brush on it's way back to the can (look below the splotch of blue).

Yella

Yella

This painting just sold for $75 million at auction.  Someone please explain to me why. Are_yo10

Hi, Hon, are you one of the Modigliani girls? Nice eyes.

Last edited by Yella on 11/14/2012, 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

PkrBum wrote:

I like orange. I like squares pretty good too

lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Yella wrote:This painting just sold for $75 million at auction.  Someone please explain to me why. Are_yo10
Now that's actual art. But drip some paint on the titties and we'll call Sothebys.

I like that much better... I like everything you've shown us yella... tb too. Y'all are much better artists than this dude.

Sal

Sal

Art is not what it is, it's what it means.

This painting just sold for $75 million at auction.  Someone please explain to me why. Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRk6XOw60cE1RNMt1nxIF0NItCH9MjtY9ivY4NFRDSi11q3xhxt4g

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wefT_t2lHU

Smile

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Ghandi_is_my_bitch wrote:Art is not what it is, it's what it means.
Then this art will mean something too...

... and I know what you're thinking, what art is he referring to? Well it's there allright it's just hard to see. It's four white squares all one after the other (one square more than Rothko even). And the artist (me) says the meaning to be found in it is that not everything which pretends to be art is always actually art.

Bluebonnet

Very nice, Yella. Like everything about it, texture, complimentary colors, subject, appealing.

I think I'd rather have a hut in the Caribbean with a hammock and a few coconut trees but the buyer would probably prefer this, which looks like a napkin ring to me:

This painting just sold for $75 million at auction.  Someone please explain to me why. 0312-150-carat-68-million-all-diamond-ring-fa

Bob wrote:

... and I know what you're thinking, what art is he referring to? Well it's there allright it's just hard to see. It's four white squares all one after the other (one square more than Rothko even). And the artist (me) says the meaning to be found in it is that not everything which pretends to be art is always actually art.

Bob. Thank you very much for such a great piece of art. My morning is now complete. It has added the serenity and calmness to my life that I have been searching for. I am now able to face my daily challenges with a new perspective. Such is the form of great art. Thank you..

Bob wrote:

Since I didn't see a signature or copyright I just sold a zillion copies to every store that sells office supplies.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum