Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Windows 8 is gonna look a lot different.

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Windows 8 is gonna look a lot different. 120824090151-gallery-fall-gadgets-windows-8-story-top

http://money.cnn.com/2012/10/21/technology/enterprise/windows-8-sales/index.html

2seaoat

Google is selling a 250 buck laptop at best buy......it will be very slow for windows 8, but my corning shares should do well with the release.

Cromebook Getting pretty good reviews......http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/#utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-bkws&utm_medium=ha

Windows 8 is gonna look a lot different. Ss-cb-promolanding-carousel-1

2seaoat

I am probably going to get a google laptop. I am tired of virus software, and I love the idea of using the google cloud to back up my files....for free for two years with 100 gig. In two years the computer is free from what I currently pay for virus protection and cloud storage. Apple and Google have taken a big bite out of Microsoft......this laptop is a steal.

I have read many many reviews concerning Windows 8 and the majority of the techies that reviewed wrote that it is going to be the biggest thorn in the side of Microsoft to come along in a long time. They also stated that it is not for the everyday computer user as it is very difficult to navigate.

Think I will stay with Vista and Windows 7 for a while.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:I have read many many reviews concerning Windows 8 and the majority of the techies that reviewed wrote that it is going to be the biggest thorn in the side of Microsoft to come along in a long time. They also stated that it is not for the everyday computer user as it is very difficult to navigate.

[b]

I was telling my wife yesterday that if I continue to use my copy of Windows XP for another year, I will have used the software for 10 years. She has Windows 7 on her computer, but I just never felt compelled to make the leap.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:I have read many many reviews concerning Windows 8 and the majority of the techies that reviewed wrote that it is going to be the biggest thorn in the side of Microsoft to come along in a long time. They also stated that it is not for the everyday computer user as it is very difficult to navigate.

[b]

I was telling my wife yesterday that if I continue to use my copy of Windows XP for another year, I will have used the software for 10 years. She has Windows 7 on her computer, but I just never felt compelled to make the leap.

I am a firm believer in the old adage, "if it ain't broke, then don' fix it".

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

[b]

I would have never "upgraded" (note my use of quotes) to W7 if I had not been forced to. I love XP, and have XP Professional on my desktop, but it needs some TLC after moving cross-country a couple of times. If there was any possible way, I would put XP-Pro on my laptop, but of course they are not backward-compatible.

This Google laptop sounds kind of interesting... I wonder what the reviewers mean when they say that it's very difficult to navigate. Suspect

riceme wrote:
ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

[b]

I would have never "upgraded" (note my use of quotes) to W7 if I had not been forced to. I love XP, and have XP Professional on my desktop, but it needs some TLC after moving cross-country a couple of times. If there was any possible way, I would put XP-Pro on my laptop, but of course they are not backward-compatible.

This Google laptop sounds kind of interesting... I wonder what the reviewers mean when they say that it's very difficult to navigate. Suspect

If I had not bought a new laptop that came with Win 7 already installed, I would not have 7 on any of my computers. I like XP and Vista both.

Here is an article about Win 8 I found interesting.

A Forrester Research report says Microsoft will dominate desktop computing, but remain an also-ran in the mobile world.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33642_7-57537501-292/analyst-windows-8-to-fare-better-on-desktop-than-tablets/

riceme wrote: I wonder what the reviewers mean when they say that it's very difficult to navigate.

I don't want to upgrade to Windows 8. The reviews I have read say it is nothing like the Windows that we know and love (hate?). There is no start button (but you can configure it to have a quasi "old school" feel. They say it isn't intuitive and you should watch the videos on how to use it and you'll probably get used to it after a while...

They want Windows 8 to be a cross-hardware platform... something that works on a Windows phone and a computer too (with the same look and feel).

It is best used with one of the new touch-screen computers.

Markle

Markle

riceme wrote:
ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

[b]

I have Windows XP Pro on my desktop at my office and an pleased as punch with the system.

I've never been one to jump on the newest and latest hard or software. I like others to work out the bugs. Somewhere I heard someone say that frequently the "cutting edge" is also the "BLEEDING EDGE".

My laptop came with Windows 7. It is fine and I don't have any problems.

For me, my computers are tools, not hobbies. Major difference, to me anyway.

VectorMan

VectorMan

With each Microsoft Hotmail account you get 25gb of free storage on their SkyDrive. I have 3 accounts (75gb) and have saved all my "keeper" photos.

I've been using XP Pro for years. I bought a copy so I'll always have the option of using it. Well, maybe not always, but beyond MS tech support of XP.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I was late to switch from XP to Windows 7 too. Only did it cause I found a really nice PC with 64 bit Windows 7 on it for $25.
Been using that PC for about 6 months and I just discovered something I really like about 7.
For some reason unbeknownest to me, starting yesterday I can only boot up in safe mode. When I try to start Windows in normal mode I just get a black screen.
But the good news to me is that safe mode in Win 8 works so well that I don't really give a shit. Safe mode in XP (and everything before it) was crap and hardly even useable.

Bob wrote:I was late to switch from XP to Windows 7 too. Only did it cause I found a really nice PC with 64 bit Windows 7 on it for $25.
Been using that PC for about 6 months and I just discovered something I really like about 7.
For some reason unbeknownest to me, starting yesterday I can only boot up in safe mode. When I try to start Windows in normal mode I just get a black screen.
But the good news to me is that safe mode in Win 8 works so well that I don't really give a shit. Safe mode in XP (and everything before it) was crap and hardly even useable.

I think that if my computer would only boot in the safe mode then I would be finding out the cause.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
Bob wrote:I was late to switch from XP to Windows 7 too. Only did it cause I found a really nice PC with 64 bit Windows 7 on it for $25.

I think that if my computer would only boot in the safe mode then I would be finding out the cause.
Agreed and I would like to but I don't know how.

A U.K. design firm put Windows 8 under the microscope recently, and users reported some issues with handling the operating system.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57540028-75/windows-8-is-hard-so-say-14-typical-users/?tag=rb_content;main

Just for the "Ill keep windows XP crowd". Windows XP will not be compatible with the new 4k drives. The new drives are already starting to phase out the old ones and by 2014 there will be no more 512byte drives being made (at least thats what I was told). So this means if your drive takes a crap it's bye bye Windows XP (unless you can find an older drive)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2510009

alecto wrote:Just for the "Ill keep windows XP crowd". Windows XP will not be compatible with the new 4k drives. The new drives are already starting to phase out the old ones and by 2014 there will be no more 512byte drives being made (at least thats what I was told). So this means if your drive takes a crap it's bye bye Windows XP (unless you can find an older drive)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2510009

Interesting, man. I didn't know that. I run Win7 on the two laptops, iOS6 on the iPad, but probably run XP on two desktop machines that I almost never use. (They could die and I wouldn't miss 'em.)

Alecto, have you had any success with those Raspberry Pi computers yet?

VectorMan wrote:With each Microsoft Hotmail account you get 25gb of free storage on their SkyDrive. I have 3 accounts (75gb) and have saved all my "keeper" photos.

I've been using XP Pro for years. I bought a copy so I'll always have the option of using it. Well, maybe not always, but beyond MS tech support of XP.

I also have a copy of XP Pro. But you will not always have the option of using it, as it is not backward-compatible. For example, if you purchase a new machine w/Windows 7 on it, you cannot install XP (or XP Pro) on it. On the other hand, if you have a machine w/any version of XP on it, you can "upgrade" it (note my use of quotes) to W7.

Yomama wrote:
riceme wrote: I wonder what the reviewers mean when they say that it's very difficult to navigate.

I don't want to upgrade to Windows 8. The reviews I have read say it is nothing like the Windows that we know and love (hate?). There is no start button (but you can configure it to have a quasi "old school" feel. They say it isn't intuitive and you should watch the videos on how to use it and you'll probably get used to it after a while...

They want Windows 8 to be a cross-hardware platform... something that works on a Windows phone and a computer too (with the same look and feel).

It is best used with one of the new touch-screen computers.

Yeah, I read a few articles on it after I read this thread... consensus was that it's like a big smartphone that looks like a laptop and is difficult to navigate per your above description.

My evaluation: Mama no-likey.

As soon as I got my W7 laptop, I reconfigured it to look, feel and act as much like XP as possible. I'm not a fan of W7, and I am CERTAIN that I would / will not be a fan of W8 or the Chromebook.

hallmarkgrad wrote:[flashWindows8ThePeopleHate[/flash]

That's a sad freakin' commentary.

Yomama wrote:

Interesting, man. I didn't know that. I run Win7 on the two laptops, iOS6 on the iPad, but probably run XP on two desktop machines that I almost never use. (They could die and I wouldn't miss 'em.)

Alecto, have you had any success with those Raspberry Pi computers yet?

Yeah I have 3 running as VPN servers, set one up with an 8 port usb DVR security system and it streams live security feeds, still can't get the truck programmer to work right but kind of gave up on that whole thing.

My latest project with the raspberry is trying to use it to interface with a high freq spectrum analyzer. have 3 of them in different locations (25 mile diameter) networked together to triangulate frequency origin locations. the 3 can control the spec-an's to select the freq desired then send back various freq specs such as power, avg power. Right now we are coding software to have raspberries scan from 0hz to 10ghz looking for a specific freq then have it send commands to the other 2 raspberries to have them lock on the freq, monitor it, and send triangulation data back to the server for analyses. only problem is the raspberries do not work to well in a sealed container exposed to environmental changes, they tend to get buggy with to much of a temperature change.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum