Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Battle To Save Public Education

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

And the soul of America

DAN RATHER AND ELLIOT KIRSCHNER
AUG 17, 2023

It is back to school. Students of all ages flock to campuses and classrooms. Fleeting memories of summer are quickly replaced by tests and textbooks.

Getting into the swing of a new semester has always included an adjustment period, but this is a particularly difficult time for many of our nation’s students and their parents, guardians, teachers, and others entrusted with the education of young minds.

The pandemic wreaked havoc with the emotional, intellectual, and social development of America’s youth. Dismal test scores provide depressing data of yawning learning deficits. Talk to anyone in or around schools and you hear stories of setbacks and struggle — heaps of qualitative data suggesting a staggering scale of generational loss.

As usual, those who were already the most marginalized have paid the heaviest price. The pandemic exacerbated existing disruptions and placed greater strain on finances and time, particularly in large urban districts and small rural ones tasked with educating children from families struggling economically.

We like to tell ourselves that the United States is a great meritocracy, but wealth and levels of family education continue to play outsized roles in dictating a child’s likelihood of academic success long before she learns her ABCs. The simple truth is that kids come to school from widely different circumstances, and these influence their ability to thrive, independent of whatever innate intelligence or drive they may possess. The pandemic made these differences more acute.

The United States does possess a system (or more accurately, a collection of thousands of systems) that, if nurtured and respected, could foster greater equality of opportunity. And it is exactly the institution that is now struggling the most: public education. America’s public schools were once the envy of the world as engines of opportunity and upward mobility. If the nation had the will, they could return to that status once again.

Our public schools certainly weren’t perfect in the past, especially during legal racial segregation, when the lie of “separate but equal” (separate is never equal) helped enshrine white supremacy. The segregated schools of the Jim Crow Deep South were a shameful injustice and a stain on our national identity. They were inconsistent with our founding documents, which spoke eloquently about equality among people. Of course there was (and remains, to some extent) de facto segregation throughout America based on who lives in what neighborhoods. Well-financed suburban schools were often part of the draw of “white flight” from urban districts.

The very ethos of public education should be one of inclusion for America’s diverse population. It should be a place where children of different backgrounds come together to learn both from teachers and from each other. Our schools should be places that allow students to wrestle with what it means to be part of this great country, including understanding America’s uneven and often bloody road to greater equality.

Sadly, in recent years, we have seen a grave regression from these noble goals. Our schools and school districts have become fiercely contested frontlines in an era of stepped-up culture wars. As reactionary political forces target what we teach our children, it is no accident that truth, empathy, and our democratic values have become casualties.

A chief concern is how and what we teach about our history, particularly the Black experience, and race and ethnicity more generally. We have written here before about the shameful whitewashing of racial violence and injustice, including slavery, by Florida Governor Ron DeSantis. But this effort is not limited to him or that state. There is a national movement to not tell the full — and unfortunately tragic — reality of race in American history and how it continues to shape the nation.

Another serious concern is the othering of LGBTQ+ students and teachers. After years of progress, we see a wave of intolerance spread across America, including in our schools.

Few institutions in American life are as essential to the continuation of our democracy as the public schools. In a time of ascendent autocracy, attacks on our schools — how they are run, what they teach, what books they have in their libraries — are among the most pernicious, pathetic, and painful assaults on the health of our nation.

Several months back, Texas Monthly ran a striking piece of journalism with the headline, “The Campaign to Sabotage Texas’s Public Schools.” It tells a story that extends beyond the raucous school board meetings and book banning campaigns that have gotten the most attention. There is a movement afoot, and not just in Texas, to destroy public schools more generally, to privatize education through vouchers and other means.

In this context, the various culture fights become battles in a larger war over the very future and viability of public education:

Taken individually, any of these incidents may seem like a grassroots skirmish. But they are, more often than not, part of a well-organized and well-funded campaign executed by out-of-town political operatives and funded by billionaires in Texas and elsewhere. “In various parts of Texas right now, there are meetings taking place in small and large communities led by individuals who are literally providing tutorials—here’s what you say, here’s what you do,” said H. D. Chambers, the recently retired superintendent of Alief ISD, in southwest Harris County. “This divisiveness has been created that is basically telling parents they can’t trust public schools. It’s a systematic erosion of the confidence that people have in their schools.

The ideal of quality, integrated public schools for all children in the United States epitomizes the promise of our country’s founding as a place of equality and opportunity for all. It thus makes sense that would-be autocrats and protectors of privilege would seek to undermine our public schools by whatever means necessary. We must see this as what it is: as much a threat to the nation as was the violent storming of our Capitol.

The future of the United States depends on an educated and empathetic citizenry. It requires us to share a sense of common purpose and recognize our common humanity. It requires an environment that allows every child to thrive and see themselves included in the American story. It requires quality public education. Full stop.

A historic battle to save this institution and the very idea of good public schools has been underway for some time. It is now intensifying. Attention must be paid.

https://steady.substack.com/p/the-battle-to-save-public-education?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

Telstar, RealLindaL and zsomething like this post

zsomething

I've probably talked about this here before, but I went to a private school -- one of those old "academies" that the "Conservative Citizens Councils" (which were basically the KKK with better P.R.) built to get around integration in the South.  My parents weren't racist, but we lived outside of town so I would've had to go to one of the worst-funded, worst-staffed public schools in the state at the time, so it was either send me to the academy or move to town so I could go to the good public school.  For a while they even considered getting a colleague of my dad to claim to be my "legal guardian" so I could be in the good public school district, but, that didn't seem honest.  Anyway, I was a "gifted" child so they weren't gonna waste me on a bad school.

So, I went to the private school.  I got a reading circle of my own in first grade (I was reading at a 6th grade level and complaining that I wanted harder books and got told "they don't make harder readers") and had to go up to 4th grade for science class (and got the second highest grades in the class).  Don't worry, though -- with math and stuff I was behind plenty of my classmates, there's plenty I wasn't great at.

Anyway, I got through 12 years at that school and it just got worse, and worse, and worse.  We had like 8 different algebra teachers in one year because they couldn't get anybody to stay.  One of our teachers was a classmate's mother.  Another one was a football coach who couldn't balance his own checkbook and told us "Algebra is like a Camaro, it's numbers and letters, like the Z28."  Wow, thanks, coach, I'm ready for Harvard now.  (Same sumbitch also threatened to shoot us all because somebody rolled another coach's yard... it's pretty strange being 14 years old in a room with a guy who's turned red and had his veins bulging out screaming "I just HOPE one of you little sonsofbitches shows up in MY yard, I got a .44 Magnum and I'll USE IT!"  And we're all sitting there going, "Dude, we didn't roll anybody's yard, nobody here can even drive yet, what the fuck?!")

The school was highly conservative, and honestly didn't really give much of a damn about teaching us anything beyond the three R's -- Racism, Religion, and Republicanism.  We were regularly told to put our heads down in class and pray "the sinner's prayer" with our teachers.  Several of our teachers were always disparaging the public school, saying "I could make more money over there but I don't want to teach (n-words)."  Right out in class.  One history teacher gave us a "lesson" on "why (n-words) smell funny."  We also got paddled a lot... for nothing.  One coach/science teacher used to paddle people on their birthday... and not just "funny" paddlings, either -- he'd leave bruises.  He especially got off on paddling girls.  One girl in the class told her dad that this was going on and she came back to class saying "My daddy says you better not paddle me!" and the sadistic teacher took her shoes away, beat erasers on them, and tried to get the entire class to laugh about how bad they smelled -- he just humiliated the hell out of this girl.  It was one of the most disgusting, creepy things I ever experienced, anywhere.  I wanted to start cussing him out... and I didn't even like that girl.  It was just fucking inhuman treatment.  

That coach is now a "minister," by the way.

One kid came to the Halloween carnival wearing a KKK robe.  He got it from his dad or uncle or something. Instead of getting in trouble for it, they put his picture in the annual because they thought it was funny.  They captioned it something about hunting for Leon Spinks.

Wanna see it?  I happen to have a copy 'cuz I showed it to someone in email.

The Battle To Save Public Education Scan0010

I still got a decent education 'cuz I studied at home a lot and I've always read a lot on my own, but that school, honestly, was not much help.

Anyway, I hated the whole place, could not wait to get out of there, flipped the audience off during graduation, and still tell my classmates to get fucked when they even invite me to class reunions.  I didn't hate all of 'em -- in fact, I got along with most of 'em, aside from a few fights which they didn't repeat because I punched people while "fighting" at my school was usually "let's just get each other in a headlock and roll around."  I wasn't having that -- I just decked people.  Did it badly, usually, 'cuz I broke some knuckles.   I mostly got along okay enough, but I never want to see 'em again.  Most of 'em learned those three R's well and just aren't my kind of folks.  I viewed them as cellmates more than friends, just people I had to be polite to until I could get out and find better folks, which is pretty much how I still deal with most conservatives.  They're not all bad, but they're seldom people who reward your time at all, they're just people you endure.

Anyway, when I got to college I was in classes with people who'd gone to the good public school -- the one I'd've had to move to go to.  And they got a FAR better education than I did at that private academy.  All I got was religion rammed down my throat (conservatives like to talk about "grooming" but nobody does that more than they do, no-fucking-body), any racism I had encouraged (luckily I ditched all of that despite the school - and my grandpa -- ... mostly because my classmates started making me sick and I figured out how stupid their racist shit was).  And I still considered myself "Republican" for a while until I got old enough to reason and saw what an asshole Ronnie Reagan was.  

Anyhow, the point of the whole diatribe is, those kids who went to the public school got a far better education than those of us who went to the private one.  A lot of my old academy classmates bailed out on college and didn't finish it, because they were not prepared for it at all.  The kids who'd gone to the public school had a much easier time.  They'd read a LOT of books we never got around to (I think we read two Shakespeare plays while they had about six), had FAR superior math knowledge (I still suck in math).    Based on what I saw at college, a public education is the way to go.  I'm sure there are better private schools than the one I went to, but there probably aren't many.  My parents spent more on than place than they'd've had to at college, and got a worse product than the public school kids got for free.  (Fortunately I made money from college -- I had a scholarship 'cuz of high test scores, and in grad school I got an assistanceship).  

So anyway, yeah, public schools are valuable.  You learn a lot more there.  And that's why conservatives hate 'em.  They don't want a smart populace.  They want easily fooled idiots who write like fuckin' Pkr and can't reason their way out of conservative bullshit.  That's why they're always trying to kill it, and chase kids away from going to college.  Now, I'm not knocking skipping college -- you can make a lot of money and do great much-needed work learning a trade instead, I'm all for it.  But college is still a great and rewarding thing... and that should be available to everyone who wants it, too.  In any case, public education must be preserved, no matter how hard that fight has to be.

Last edited by zsomething on 8/21/2023, 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Floridatexan and Telstar like this post

RealLindaL

zsomething wrote:
So anyway, yeah, public schools are valuable.  You learn a lot more there.  And that's why conservatives hate 'em.  They don't want a smart populace.  They want easily fooled idiots who write like fuckin' Pkr and can't reason their way out of conservative bullshit.  That's why they're always trying to kill it, and chase kids away from going to college.  Now, I'm not knocking skipping college -- you can make a lot of money and do great much-needed work learning a trade instead, I'm all for it.  But college is still a great and rewarding thing... and that should be available to everyone who wants it, too.  In any case, public education must be preserved, no matter how hard that fight has to be.

And that's the absolute heart of it, IMHO.

Z, I continue to be frustrated that your fascinating and spot-on writings aren't being seen by a far larger audience, but remain grateful to you for sharing them with us here.  I applaud your astute thinking and your wonderful skill of expression.

(Aside: Am I reading something wrong, or did you mean to say, in the first line of your second paragraph, that you went to the private, not public, school?)

Floridatexan and zsomething like this post

zsomething

Hi!

You are correct -- I did indeed flub that second line, and meant to say I went to the private school. Got sloppy with my proofreading! Thanks for catching that, I'll edit it so it'll be accurate. Smile

RealLindaL wrote:
zsomething wrote:

And that's the absolute heart of it, IMHO.

Z, I continue to be frustrated that your fascinating and spot-on writings aren't being seen by a far larger audience, but remain grateful to you for sharing them with us here.  I applaud your astute thinking and your wonderful skill of expression.

(Aside: Am I reading something wrong, or did you mean to say, in the first line of your second paragraph, that you went to the private, not public, school?)

Telstar and RealLindaL like this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum