Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Robert Reich: The Real Reason for Impeachment

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Transcript:

In today’s political climate, the question of whether or not to impeach the President of the United States is often thought of in political terms.

But there is a much deeper concern at the heart of the question.

An impeachment inquiry in the House is unlikely to send Trump packing before Election Day 2020 because Senate Republicans won’t convict him. And it’s impossible to know whether an impeachment inquiry will hurt or help Trump’s chances of being reelected.

Does this mean impeachment should be off the table? No. There’s a non-political question that Congress should consider: Is enforcing the United States Constitution important for its own sake — even if it goes nowhere, even if it’s unpopular with many voters, even if it’s politically risky?

Every child in America is supposed to learn about the Constitution’s basic principles of separation of powers, and checks and balances.

But these days, every child and every adult in America is learning from Donald Trump that these principles are bunk.

By doing whatever he could to stop the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election, including firing the head of the FBI, Trump told America it’s okay for a president to obstruct justice.

Goodbye, law.

By issuing a blanket refusal to respond to any congressional subpoena, Trump is saying Congress has no constitutional authority to oversee the executive branch. He’s telling America that Congress is a subordinate branch of government rather than a co-equal branch.

Forget separation of powers.

By spending money on his “wall” that Congress explicitly refused to authorize, Trump is saying that Congress no longer has any constitutional authority over spending.

Goodbye, checks and balances.

By unilaterally shuttering the government in order to get his way, Trump told us he has the constitutional right not to execute the laws whenever it suits him.

Farewell, Congress.

By directing the Attorney General, the Justice Department, the FBI and the Secretary of the Treasury to act in his own personal interest rather than in the interests of the American people, Trump is saying that presidents can run government for themselves.

Adios, Constitution.

By unilaterally threatening to cut off trade with the second-largest economy in the world, Trump is telling us he has sole authority to endanger the entire American economy. (Make no mistake: If he goes through with his threat, the U.S. economy will go into a tailspin.)

The core purpose of the Constitution is to prevent tyranny. That’s why its Framers distributed power between the president, Congress and the judiciary. That’s why each of the three branches was designed to limit the powers of the other two.

In other words, the Framers anticipated the possibility of a Donald Trump.

Fortunately, they also put in a mechanism to enforce the Constitution against a president who tries to place himself above the law and to usurp the powers of the other branches of government.

Article I, Section 2 gives the House of Representatives the “sole Power of Impeachment.” Article I, Section 3 gives the Senate the “sole Power to try all Impeachments.”

Trump surely appears to be usurping the powers of the other branches. Under these circumstances, the Constitution mandates that the House undertake an impeachment inquiry and present evidence to the Senate.

This may not be the political thing to do. But in order to safeguard our democracy, it is the right thing to do.

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/07/26/why-impeach-trump-its-right-thing-do

PkrBum

PkrBum

More Soros propaganda... lol

If you think anyone believes that leftists suddenly love the constitution you're delusional.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

PkrBum wrote:More Soros propaganda... lol

If you think anyone believes that leftists suddenly love the constitution you're delusional.

Robert Reich:  The Real Reason for Impeachment Maga-troll

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

I am glad to see Nadler's committee going ahead with subpoenas to get testimony from Don McGahn and others who have declined so far to come before the committee. Adding teeth to this move is very welcomed.

Hypothetically, I was wondering if it would be possible to time these investigations in such a way that new information about 45's finances, etc. would be coming out on a daily basis. The decision to actually bring articles of Impeachment  could be put off to a date that the Senate would not be able to hold its trial before the 2020 election.

In that way 45 couldn't go around screaming that he'd been cleared? After all the underhanded games the GOP has played with the Supreme Court nominations, I think this is the sort of tactic that should be considered. The trial would go on in public via the revelations of supporting evidence but the Senate would be blocked by time constraints from clearing him, which they surely will do.

I totally agree with Michael Moore when he says we need a street fighter to beat DJT. I think his views merit consideration because he was one of the few people who warned us that DJT could actually get elected. This YouTube clip does not reveal who he thinks the two people now running for the Dem nomination might be but I suggest it would be Harris and Warren?

Telstar

Telstar

Floridatexan wrote:
PkrBum wrote:More Soros propaganda... lol

Robert Reich:  The Real Reason for Impeachment Maga-troll

Robert Reich:  The Real Reason for Impeachment Graphi10

bigdog

othershoe1030 wrote:I am glad to see Nadler's committee going ahead with subpoenas to get testimony from Don McGahn and others who have declined so far to come before the committee. Adding teeth to this move is very welcomed.

Hypothetically, I was wondering if it would be possible to time these investigations in such a way that new information about 45's finances, etc. would be coming out on a daily basis. The decision to actually bring articles of Impeachment  could be put off to a date that the Senate would not be able to hold its trial before the 2020 election.

In that way 45 couldn't go around screaming that he'd been cleared? After all the underhanded games the GOP has played with the Supreme Court nominations, I think this is the sort of tactic that should be considered. The trial would go on in public via the revelations of supporting evidence but the Senate would be blocked by time constraints from clearing him, which they surely will do.

I totally agree with Michael Moore when he says we need a street fighter to beat DJT. I think his views merit consideration because he was one of the few people who warned us that DJT could actually get elected. This YouTube clip does not reveal who he thinks the two people now running for the Dem nomination might be but I suggest it would be Harris and Warren?

I think that just before the clip ended he said Bernie's name. He's always loved Bernie, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was one of the suggestions Michael Moore was about to make.
But he also said people didn't want a politician, that we needed someone from outside politics to go against Trump, and I had a feeling he was about to say we needed Oprah Winfrey. That's about as stupid a suggestion as when the Republicans nominated Trump. We don't need any more TV stars in the White House, we need people who actually know the three branches of government and who know who rules the various countries in the world. On the job training is not a good idea after the total screw up we've had for the last two and a half years. I'm not saying Oprah is stupid in any way, she's not, but she's also not prepared to be POTUS.
BTW, I love the idea of waiting until next Spring to begin impeachment hearings. Then drag them out and don't give them to the Senate for a vote until after the November election.
I feel like that would be a little pay back for the games the other side has played with their court nominees.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

I'm hoping Moore's statement about us needing a non-politician eliminates Bernie. I did hear him mention his name right before the clip ended, and I can also imagine the rest of his sentence saying how he liked Bernie, but in this situation, blah, blah, need someone else.

Now that DJT's getting rid of Dan Coates as DNI, we have another reason to get him out of office as soon as possible but the system with Moscow Mitch in the Senate is not looking good.

Here's something ELSE to worry about: Just think of all the horrible things he will likely do between his (possible) election loss and the inauguration in January 2021. With that in mind it may be best to just go ahead with impeachment and run against Pence if we were lucky enough to actually remove him from office or, like Nixon, he should resign.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

IMHO, impeachment should have begun in May 10, 2017, the day after Drumpf fired Comey.

This is more Huxley than Orwell.

“A really efficient totalitarian state would be one in which the all-powerful executive of political bosses and their army of managers control a population of slaves who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude.”
― Aldous Huxley, Brave New World

It's townhall time. We need to push for impeachment...and indictment.

bigdog

Who's going to indict him? Bill Barr?

That's dreaming. He won't be indicted for anything until he is out of office and Barr is removed from the DOJ.

Impeachment can't succeed with the gang in the Senate that is there now, but it could be drug out in the House until after the next election. Not allowing a Senate vote until then seems perfectly logical to me. Also, it will give Pelosi and the Dems time to gather all the financial records they need to prove money laundering, which I think is going to be the straw that breaks Trump's back. With facts on paper, numbers out to the public, absolute proof that he's been financially helping his Russian friends, It's going to be very hard for the Republicans to deny reality anymore.
I think that if all that were to be the overriding news in the next election, the Republicans may just decide they don't want Trump on their ticket next year.
That may be dreaming too, but we don't know because no one has seen his taxes or his financial records yet.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum