Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Has anybody bought an online mattress?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

The tv ads make those mattresses look like foam and nothing more. Are they more substantial? It makes sense to have a mattress delivered right to your door, but they just do not look very sturdy.

I used to have a small factory who build a mattress for us. They went out of business twenty years ago, and our big box mattress purchases have not been good here and in Florida.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I agree... they look cheap.

RealLindaL

I, too, agree -- and there are just far too many brands being advertised -- on TV, in magazines, etc..  It's nuts.  Are there THAT many mattresses being sold these days??  They also never quote prices on TV, though I've seen "fine print"  that says set-up and take-away of the old mattress are optional.  In other words, more $$$ -- and that last -- old mattress disposal -- is a significant bother, I think.

I don't think I'd want to chance a TV purchase of one of those things.  Not even sure I could believe online reviews if there were any.

Not going to tell you how old our master bedroom mattress is (though for many years before we moved here it was a guest mattress, and saw very light service).  Still, we've finally started to think about replacing it, so it's timely that you bring this up.   Sorry to hear about your big box store dissatisfaction.   Our old existing mattress, a Sealy pillow-top, has really served us well.  We bought it from a "box store" in Connecticut, though not a very big one, as I recall.

Anyone have any recommendations at all? I realize personal likes/dislikes for something so personal will differ widely.....

Sal

Sal

Yes, we bought an Amerisleep mattress for our guest room.

After trying it for a few nights, we moved it to the master.

Much superior to the high end retail store mattress we had been sleeping on.

2seaoat

That is why Sal is cranky all the time.....he thinks he is getting a full night sleep on one of those, and apparently he is not........but the blow back reflex from the foam is great for assisting those who are passive in the bedroom to get a little more thrust when folks get frisky.  I used to love the old waterbeds and those tidal wave adult games.  I think Linda needs a waterbed......the neighbors will think the surf is high when they hear the sloshing.

RealLindaL

2seaoat wrote:That is why Sal is cranky all the time.....he thinks he is getting a full night sleep on one of those, and apparently he is not........but the blow back reflex from the foam is great for assisting those who are passive in the bedroom to get a little more thrust when folks get frisky.  I used to love the old waterbeds and those tidal wave adult games.  I think Linda needs a waterbed......the neighbors will think the surf is high when they hear the sloshing.

lol!

RealLindaL

Sal wrote:Yes, we bought an Amerisleep mattress for our guest room.

After trying it for a few nights, we moved it to the master.

Much superior to the high end retail store mattress we had been sleeping on.

Thanks, Sal. Interesting. I do note most of these mattresses are not very thick. How do you deal with fitted sheets, which these days seem mostly designed for 15" - 18" or thicker mattresses? Our existing Sealy is about 11" thick, and there are very few sheets available that aren't really sloppy because of such deep pockets.

Also interesting that you refer to other mattresses as high end. I guess because it's been so long since we were in the mattress market, these thousand dollar or more mattresses seem pretty "high end" to us.

RealLindaL

Am supposed to be heading to bed but keep forgetting to report that, back on 8/17, I threw out all my fears, bit the bullet and ordered us a Saatva mattress online. It's a hybrid -- a traditional premium coil mattress except with memory foam in the lumbar area, a foam wrap plus pillow top. Won't bore you with more details -- here's the website if interested:

https://www.saatvamattress.com/

Should be delivered in the next week or so; delivery and disposal of our existing mattress are included in the price. Not cheap but we haven't bought a mattress in a very long time so I guess we can splurge.

Silly thing is that I will feel a pang when the old mattress goes, since back in CT it was in our guest room and my late mom and dad slept on it when visiting. I know it's morbid or something but I hate to throw out the only furnishing I have that they occupied, even if just for a short time. (I'll get over it, of course.)

Anyway, will let y'all know how we like the Saatva (prononounced "SOT-va"). Reviews seem pretty great. Being side sleepers we selected their flagship "Luxury Firm" (a medium firm) -- supposed to feel like a high end hotel mattress -- and picked the 14-1/2" height (instead of the alternative 11-1/2") because, as previously indicated in so many words, I'm sick and tired of not being able to find decent sheets without deep pockets that are really sloppy on a thinner mattress.

If anyone has had a bad experience with a Saatva mattress, I really don't wanna hear it. lol

More soon.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Waiting for follow up

RealLindaL

OK Joani, here ya go....

After a little over a week sleeping on our new Saatva, both hubby and I are extremely satisfied with the mattress. We're sleeping more soundly, waking rested, and each of us reports the disappearance of former morning stiffness -- the back, for him; the hip, for me. I no longer hobble when first getting out of bed! It 's really quite an amazing difference.

I realize we need to see how this mattress holds up over time as regards its 15 year warranty, but so far, so good. It just feels great - love it and would not hesitate to recommend both the mattress and the Saatva people, who were very easy to deal with and kept their promises.

So...super mattress, super company -- what more could one ask? OK, maybe a little lower price...but we definitely feel we got our money's worth as compared to other high end mattresses in the big box stores. This kind of sound and restorative sleep is actually priceless.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Good to hear!

HardStanley

The prices are too high there. I prefer using this app for purchasing such items. All communication between buyers and sellers there is through the app via secure messaging. I bought my mattress for less than half a price there.

RealLindaL

Don't think I'll click on that link.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I bought a Serta Pillowtop Elite mattress set from Rooms To Go. I had not planned on it but was shopping and tried it out.

Well, I kept feeling a wrinkle and thought it was the cool gel mattress cover I bought. After a couple of nights I removed the cover and the wrinkle was loose fabric from the mattress top. I could grab and pull it up several inches. Naturally, it was on my side. I finally got around to calling my sales clerk and got the info to have it evaluated by their technician.

The tech came Friday and without a doubt it was defective. Also the mattress was not firm enough. I had doubts as to whether or not I could get a different type mattress. I thought maybe I’d have to stay with the same type. The technician told me and the sales lady confirmed I can pick out any mattress in the store and they’ll change it out for me. So here I go again for new mattress.

I am going to get the remote frame that raises the head of the bed. I think I will avoid the pillowtop.

RealLindaL

Wow, Joani, what a bummer experience!  Hope you find something that works for you.

Are they saying you can pick out any mattress, even a higher priced one, at no additional cost?  Great if so.  But of course comfort is the main thing.

I can understand why you're gun-shy about pillow-tops now but, as I previously reported, our former firm Sealy pillow-top serviced us well for many, many years.  I guess it's something of a crapshoot, this mattress thing.  Let us know how you make out.  

We're still happy with our Saatva, knock on wood.  My only complaint (which may become louder in summer) is that it sleeps somewhat warm, but that may be due to the mattress protector.   I didn't buy a cooling type cover for various reasons.

Last edited by RealLindaL on 2/4/2019, 3:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I will have to pay the difference in price to upgrade. I’ve got 30 days to decide on a new mattress. I asked the sales clerk, who always waits on us, to look out for specials, especially with the remote frame. When the technician was talking to me he said talk to people who have pillow top mattress...I took it as a warning that there of been problems with them. We will see.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Decided on Beautyrest Hybrid with power base. Will be delivered week after next when we return from the mountains. Taking the kids to ski in Gatlinburg. Hoping for snow instead of rain.

RealLindaL

Congrats on making a decision and I hope this mattress works out great. So how thick/tall is the mattress? Any problems anticipated finding sheets, I hope not?

And will also hope for snow for y'all. How's your son doing now? Presume he's gonna ski, with doc's OK?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I think the mattress is 14”. Will accommodate my sheets.

As far as snow...only man-made for now. It was in the high 60’s this week. Normally there is snow in the second week of Feb, in Gatlinburg. At least the kids will have fun..,of course we will have 12 of us there.

Son is doing great played golf the week after surgery. He was cleared for everything. Not like it use to be.

RealLindaL

Hope you love it; we sure love our hybrid Saatva, similar height (14.5").
They also offer a slimmer profile (11.5", I think) for use on motorized bases. Didn't realize those could also accommodate/'bend' thicker mattresses - obviously they can. Sounds good.

Glad to hear sonny boy is back to normal! I had a heavy lifting restriction for six weeks after my surgery but maybe because I also had a small inguinal hernia repair along with the cholecystectomy.

Safe and happy travels!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum