Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sadly watched some winter olympics getting pizza at NY Deli

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

2seaoat

The winter olympics just do not make a lick of sense to me. Lets cross country ski and stop and shoot at targets. I did like the penalty loop which was clever, but this is like some folks in Poland, Germany, Sweden, and Norway said lets have our own games, and make some chit up. At least the pizza was delicious as usual, and I can thank Linda from saving us from the panhandle pizza desert.

RealLindaL

Sorry we missed you at the New Yorker. We ate there Thursday night (each had a cup of soup and Turkey Reuben). I actually did look for you, though.

Nearby there was a table of three gentlemen carefully examining the extensive menu and wondering things out loud -- obviously it was their first visit and they were a bit overwhelmed at all the choices. One of them actually called over to our table and asked us, "What did you guys have?" lol I told them and said the Reubens (whether corned beef or turkey) were to die for. But by the time we left they still hadn't made up their minds what to order. I should've told them there are no wrong choices - everything there is good.

2seaoat

We love the place. I checked all the restaurant ratings in Navarre. The highest was 4.6, yet NY has a 4.8. My wife keeps doing exactly what you saw that table do.......look at everybody's order. She wants to get a sandwich next time, but we love the pizza so much that we never get to that sandwich. The place was packed and the dentist parking lot was nearly full. We had to wait ten minutes for a table. I love the customers who come into the restaurant. They are diverse and sophisticated based on the conversations we over hear. Pensacola is so sophisticated compared to Milton. Sometimes when we try to pick up something in Milton, it is a coin flip if it is edible, and then a crap shoot if the order was filled correctly. There is a big cultural divide.

We went to the Cactus Flower the night before in Navarre, and it was filled with young families and the children which made us smile. Navarre Boy's soccer just won the state championship, and all the soccer fields which were built in the last decade have worked. The dog park is full every day, the baseball fields with young kids playing, and the new YMCA parking lot is full. New houses are being built in the swamp north of 98 and Santa Rosa County has NO drainage plan, but the demand to raise a family in Navarre is obvious.

We went to Panera in Pace and the place is just booming in the commercial district. I used to post about how dirty the chinese place next to office depot was, yet a couple blocks down a brand new clean chinese restaurant just was built. Pace, Navarre, and Gulf Breeze seem to be booming with new choices. Poor Milton looks like its boom town time was 1925, and they have not done anything since.

PkrBum

PkrBum

2seaoat wrote:The winter olympics just do not make a lick of sense to me.  Lets cross country ski and stop and shoot at targets.  I did like the penalty loop which was clever, but this is like some folks in Poland, Germany, Sweden, and Norway said lets have our own games, and make some chit up.   At least the pizza was delicious as usual, and I can thank Linda from saving us from the panhandle pizza desert.

It's patterned after an age old endeavor to chase game in the winter. Extremely difficult to shoot straight when your heart is beating north of 150 bmp. None of the cross country events are my favorites... but I respect them.

See how that works?

I highly doubt it.

2seaoat

I have won medals for sharpshooting. I have cross country skied since I was a child. I do not understand the winter games as being athletic competition. To me it is simply winter x games. Bobsled? Ice dancing? Snowboarding? Curling? If the Nordic nations were these athletes, why do they not show up in the 2000 years of real athletic competition in summer competition with the exception of Germany. How many gold medals does Norway get in the summer olympics? The winter games are arbitrary x game competition which I fully expect video curling to be in the next winter games.

Please do not get me wrong.....cross country skiing can be exhausting and certainly there is athletic stamina needed, but skis? I could argue that unicycle cross country competition should be added to the summer games. Makes about the same amount of sense. Hell, half of this nation has never had a ten inch snow while Norway and Sweden never have had a year go by without the same. Maybe ice fishing will be added next.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Back home relaxing and enjoying the Olympics. I admire the dedication, training and stamina of the athletes.

2seaoat

Back home relaxing and enjoying the Olympics. I admire the dedication, training and stamina of the athletes.

I hope the grandkids had great memories with grandma. It is like Disneyworld for me. This big fantasy world which creates this fantasy that the Winter Olympics are anything but winter x games. Do not get me wrong. It is fun to watch skateboarding, but I prefer the cold hard reality of people running the 100 meter, long jumping, high jumping, and marathons where the same has been competition for over 2000 years and are as basic as it gets. True athletic competition. Give me track and field, and I will watch the Olympics, but I have gotten less interested in the Winter Olympics with each year I age, and as an enthusiast in the late sixties as I was doing winter hobbies, I find it now the domain of specialized Disney like fantasy, and NOT athletic competition. I am probably in the five percent range of Americans who strongly reject these games, but I am interested if anybody else even bothered to watch as I wait on the ratings. I am in basketball withdrawal right now with the all star game, but watching the same is to see amazing athletes.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

They had a great time. Thursday was a trip to Lego-Land. That was a big hit. I stayed at the condo and slept late and had a pool day, beautiful weather.

Sleeping 6 nights in a queen bed with the two little ones doesn't guarantee much sleep. They started off in their bed and migrated over within an hour. I loved it though.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

There is a huge cultural divide between Milton/Pace and Pensacola. Just like the divide between Navarre and Gulf Breeze/ Pensacola Beach.

Navarre is getting better with the military increase... but still mixed.

Cactus Flower, we love it. Not hubby but the rest of us and the kids. I enjoy my once in awhile(yearly) Top-Shelf Margarita. The shrimp taco appetizer (not gluten free Crying or Very sad ) is great.

Panera good but we prefer Newk's and I feel safer eating gluten free there.

Basketball... waiting on March Madness. Scheduled my knee surgery a couple of days before. Will recuperate, hopefully watching basketball.

2seaoat

I always enjoy March madness, but with the NBA going from a decade plus of mediocrity, it is just amazing how these young kids are playing. Could not be happier watching such good players.

My wife used to have the granddaughters sleep in the king size bed with her, but now has them sleep in their own twin beds in a room set up with a tv and games. I am sorry to hear about knee surgery, but good basketball takes one's mind off of health issues. Serious decline as literally my mass is melting away. I put a new belt hole in my belt as the weight loss is very rapid now and I cannot keep my pants up. Never been happier in my life despite the liver failure. I will try to drive to Illinois myself. I am adding an extra day, and will stay two extra days in Illinois resting before I return.

RealLindaL

Love Cactus Flower; we usually go to the one right here on the boardwalk but once in a while visit the original store on 12th Ave. My "usual" is the Enchiladas Verdes with shrimp, black beans and cilantro lime rice.

Safe travels, Sea. When you say you will "try to drive to Illinois" yourself, I sure hope that doesn't mean Mrs. Seaoat won't be riding along with you. In any event, hope your shot provides some relief.

2seaoat

I have rented a car and she will not be with me. I am taking an extra day each way anticipating that this will be hard. I am most comfortable sitting in a car driving or a passenger. Even more than my lazy boy because we have heated leather seats, so I doubt the rental car will have the same. If I start having problems, I will simply pull over, and call Northwestern and have them back my appointments up a day. I also can get caught in a snow storm, but if everybody did what they said they would do, my wife could return with me, but she must meet with these people while I am gone, and the stress of not getting things done at this juncture are more detrimental to my health than anything else. I am trying to get things in order after I pass, and simply I am running out of time to use my knowledge and experience to help her get things ready to sell if she wants to after I pass. She will be fine, and the work I have done this week have me feeling reasonably well, but I always am at my best the week before my shot......do not know why.......it is the return trip which has me concerned because I have a couple tough days after my shots. We will see. I will leave around 5pm and arrive in Metropolis at 2 am. I will play poker for an hour or two, and sleep until 11 am and drive six hours to western Illinois where I will refill medications, go to the bank, and get the mail before driving to Chicago for a noon appointment, and then I will slowly return to Navarre. Dying is not for sissies.

RealLindaL

Darned shame others let you down, requiring you to leave Mrs. Sea behind to deal with things.

No one could ever call you a sissy, but we will worry until you're back in Navarre. Take special care this time (sounds as if you will), and be safe.

Been meaning to say funny you guys can't tear yourselves away from the New Yorker pizza to try anything else; we keep saying we're going to do something different next time (and have, in fact, tried quite a few other yummy things in the past, including the great pizza more than once, and some of the wonderful salads and salad plates), but lately we just keep going back to the Turkey Reuben.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Be safe Seaoat!

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Curling.....

2seaoat

Tough trip. I did more than I probably should have done, but fortunately I only got sleepy once where I immediately found a motel. I will wait for the blood test which include the most important test which measures the hormone levels. I know I am a dead man walking, but if the testing allows additional surgical procedures, I will have more time.

RealLindaL

Fingers and toes crossed! Let us know. And congrats on making it there and back. Don't do that again, though. Ha.

2seaoat

By now you should know that I am a bit stubborn. If I am unable to safely drive for the March shots, I will have my wife drive, but it is unfair on her and the dog to spend four days in the car when I am still able to safely drive. I am very fortunate as I am most comfortable in the sitting position. My liver pain is at its lowest point when I am sitting. The liver functions will become more clear with the test results. Liver failure causes confusion in the final stages and I will not drive where my wife finds any indication of confusion........Mrs Seaoat will argue that I have been confused for 45 years.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I think Mrs. Seaoat can handle you.

RealLindaL

2seaoat wrote:By now you should know that I am a bit stubborn.

Uh, yeah, that's why I said "Ha." Laughing

2seaoat

Great Pizza tonight. Wife's birthday and it was the fish house, until she said she wanted pizza. We have to strongly recommend their Bruchetta (SP) which you get five and they were delightful. Often over toasted, these were a wonderful mixture of flavors. The Patrons of NY Deli are such a cultural difference and welcome gift. Pensacola has some cool people. We love to eavesdrop and the conversations in Milton and Pensacola could be two different nations........Now do not get me wrong....I love the folks in Milton, and spent an hour with a guy setting up our internet connection for the security system so we can watch the project from Navarre, or Illinois, and had a wonderful discussion of his mom's cheese biscuits. The wife wrote it down and we are going to try to make them from scratch. Just different cultures, but people for the most part are sweet, unless they have an angle.....and most of the time our dealings have been full of angles....it was refreshing to deal with a bright tradesman who gave an honest bid on the phone, did exactly what he said he was going to do, and gave us the bill for the exact amount he quoted, despite having to give us his mom's cheese biscuit recipe.

RealLindaL

So you had bruschetta AND pizza??  Darn, wish I could get away with that!  In any case, glad as always that you enjoyed.   We always feel comfortable with the crowd at the New Yorker, too.   And the restaurant participates in the buy one/get one Member Card deal for WUWF, our local NPR station.  Tells me a lot.

Nice to hear you say something good about a local tradesperson.  Let us know how the biscuits turn out!   Biscuits sound like work to me. I HATE cutting in!

P.S. Happy Belated Birthday to Mrs. Sea!

2seaoat

I want to thank all the folks recommendations for in house hospice care. I think that I can make it back to Illinois, but I have had some serious issues with twisting and pain. Flushing has been awful and my strength getting up from chairs or the toilet in the last week has seriously been compromised. Once I am on my feet I actually am doing pretty good. I have had these bouts before, but I always bounced back after a day or two......it has been about a week now. I am still enjoying every day, but this decline is very real and for the first time in ten years I feel I have no control over where this is rapidly going. I will keep folks informed.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

For help in the bathroom... get a bedside commode and take the bucket off.  Remove your toilet seat and put the frame over your toilet. The elevation and support rails will assist you.

This is the same setup I used for my hamstring injury and will use for my knee surgery this coming week.

RealLindaL

That's a great idea, Joani, and best of luck with your knee surgery!

Why is the "Recommendations on hospice care" thread locked??

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum