Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Enemy of the people...

+3
Telstar
othershoe1030
Deus X
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Enemy of the people... Empty Enemy of the people... 1/17/2018, 10:42 am

Deus X

Deus X

It is a testament to the condition of our democracy that our own President uses words infamously spoken by Josef Stalin to describe his enemies," Flake will say Wednesday, according to an excerpt of the speech obtained by CBS News. "It bears noting that so fraught with malice was the phrase 'enemy of the people,' that even Nikita Khrushchev forbade its use, telling the Soviet Communist Party that the phrase had been introduced by Stalin for the purpose of 'annihilating such individuals' who disagreed with the supreme leader.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-historical-roots-of-trumps-favorite-phrases/

2Enemy of the people... Empty Re: Enemy of the people... 1/17/2018, 12:55 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Here is more background about the phrase "enemy of the people." For a person who doesn't read (Trump) he or his staff have an uncanny knack of striking historically horrible chords whether is it America First or this latest one.

His continuous attacks on the media as fake news is very destructive. His whole approach to governing is tearing the country apart and eating away at our institutions. What do they want in its place? Anarchy? Civil War? What?

Over the last two weeks, President Donald Trump has repeatedly referred to media outlets that he dubbed the "fake news media" as "the enemy of the American People."

Trump repeated the attack at a speech at the Conservative Political Action Conference on Friday, saying, "They are the enemy of the people."

The phrase "the enemy of the people" has a long history that Trump may or may not have known about.

Over the couse of the last century, it has been used repeatedly by dictators and autocrats to delegitimize foreign governments, opposition parties, and dissenters.

Though the phrase dates back to Roman times and the reign of Emperor Nero (who was declared "an enemy of the people" by the Roman Senate), it came into use in the modern period during the French Revolution. Ennemi du peuple was used to refer to those who disagreed with the new French government during the "Reign of Terror," a period during which thousands of revolutionairies were executed by guillotine.

While it was featured as the name of a Henrik Ibsen play, its next prominent use was by the Nazis. During the Third Reich's rule in Germany, Propaganda Minister Joseph Goebbels referred to Jews as "a sworn enemy of the German people" who posed a risk to Adolf Hitler's vision for the country, according to The Washington Post.

It gained its widest use by Joseph Stalin during the early years of the Soviet Union. In the nation's early years, Vladimir Lenin and Joseph Stalin used the term vrag naroda (enemy of the nation/people) to refer to those who disagreed with the ideologies pushed forth by the Bolshevik government and, later, adopted by the newly-formed Soviet Union. This could include anyone from the clergy who did not want to adopt state-enforced atheism to writers to political opposition that questioned the ideologies of the new government. Later picked up by Stalin, such a designation could mean immediate imprisonment or removal to a labour camp.

"All leaders of the Constitutional Democratic Party, a party filled with enemies of the people, are hereby to be considered outlaws, and are to be arrested immediately and brought before the revolutionary court," said Lenin in November 1917.

As reported by The New York Times, the phrase lost popularity in the 1950s when Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev came into power and denounced Lenin and Stalin's use of the term to refer to anyone who disagreed with the leaders.

“The formula ‘enemy of the people was specifically introduced for the purpose of physically annihilating such individuals," Khrushchev said in a 1956 speech to the Soviet Communist Party.

Nina Khruscheva, Khruschev's great-granddaughter and international affairs professor at the New School in New York, told The New York Times that it was particularly shocking to hear the language of "state nationalism [that] is always the same regardless of the country."

In recent years, Venezuela's Hugo Chavez also called political dissenters "enemies of the homeland."

http://www.businessinsider.com/history-of-president-trumps-phrase-an-enemy-of-the-people-2017-2

3Enemy of the people... Empty Re: Enemy of the people... 1/17/2018, 1:39 pm

Telstar

Telstar

Enemy of the people is a good way to describe 45 and his supporters.

4Enemy of the people... Empty Re: Enemy of the people... 1/17/2018, 9:58 pm

bigdog

That was a great speech this morning by Jeff Flake. It didn't make the NBC evening news though. It's one every American should hear.

Here's my prediction for 2020: Jeff Flake will run for the Republican nomination and Corey Booker will run for the Democratic nomination. I can actually see either of them getting the candidacy, but I wouldn't put money on it. I certainly hope Corey Booker runs so Oprah will stay in her seat in her mansion and leave the government to someone who knows how to govern.

5Enemy of the people... Empty Re: Enemy of the people... 1/18/2018, 2:38 am

Telstar

Telstar

bigdog wrote:That was a great speech this morning by Jeff Flake. It didn't make the NBC evening news though. It's one every American should hear.

Here's my prediction for 2020:  Jeff Flake will run for the Republican nomination and Corey Booker will run for the Democratic nomination. I can actually see either of them getting the candidacy, but I wouldn't put money on it. I certainly hope Corey Booker runs so Oprah will stay in her seat in her mansion and leave the government to someone who knows how to govern.

Booker will bring out the black vote, Oprah will bring out the woman's vote and they will both bring out the sane vote. Works for me.

6Enemy of the people... Empty Re: Enemy of the people... 1/18/2018, 7:40 am

Deus X

Deus X

"Derogatory Cory" was accused of "mansplaining" by Fox after he bitchslapped--heh, heh--the Secretary of Homeland Security, Kirstjen Nielsen, AKA Blondie, at a Senate Judiciary Committee meeting.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/01/17/cory-booker-slammed-for-mansplaining-insulting-dhs-secretary-nielsen.html

Is this a great country or what?

7Enemy of the people... Empty Re: Enemy of the people... 1/18/2018, 9:52 am

Telstar

Telstar

Deus X wrote:"Derogatory Cory" was accused of "mansplaining" by Fox after he bitchslapped--heh, heh--the Secretary of Homeland Security, Kirstjen Nielsen, AKA Blondie, at a Senate Judiciary Committee meeting.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/01/17/cory-booker-slammed-for-mansplaining-insulting-dhs-secretary-nielsen.html

Is this a great country or what?

I told a friend that was going to happen yesterday. I asked how long will it take Fox Snews Pravda to accuse big black Corey of beating up on lilly white Kirsten and I now have my answer. Anything to stir up anger in the lame dick racist south. I don't read Breitbart nor listen to Limbaugh and his radio ilk but I'm sure they will be beating the same racist drum. They'll probably try to turn this into OJ-2. I'm sure some cracker barrel boy is already sizing up some black church that he can shoot up to avenge the purity of poor blondie. When he does the blood will be on the hands of 45, Fox Snews Pravda, Breitbart and reichtwing talk radio. Damn them all.

8Enemy of the people... Empty Re: Enemy of the people... 1/18/2018, 10:42 am

zsomething

Trump's trying as hard as he can to turn his presidency into a dictatorship. And his knowledge of history is so scant that he doesn't even realize how obvious he's being about it. So far he's being held in check by most of the people, but there are a third of America's dimmest people who actually seem to want that. They just lay down for him. That's more disturbing than what Trump's trying to do. Evil individuals come along now and again, that's to be expected, but when they find a cult following, that's the real problem. How are this many people this easily fooled into something so un-American? Just massive ignorance. If you go back and watch old films of Germany in the 30's, you see pretty much the same people, all over again. If that wasn't a hard enough lesson, what the hell is it going to take?

There's a lot of resistance, but there should be more.

9Enemy of the people... Empty Re: Enemy of the people... 1/18/2018, 12:37 pm

Telstar

Telstar

zsomething wrote:Trump's trying as hard as he can to turn his presidency into a dictatorship.  And his knowledge of history is so scant that he doesn't even realize how obvious he's being about it.  So far he's being held in check by most of the people, but there are a third of America's dimmest people who actually seem to want that.  They just lay down for him. That's more disturbing than what Trump's trying to do.  Evil individuals come along now and again, that's to be expected, but when they find a cult following, that's the real problem.  How are this many people this easily fooled into something so un-American?   Just massive ignorance.  If you go back and watch old films of Germany in the 30's, you see pretty much the same people, all over again.  If that wasn't a hard enough lesson, what the hell is it going to take?

Maybe it will take Civil War II and hopefully the same side will win again.

10Enemy of the people... Empty Re: Enemy of the people... 1/18/2018, 12:44 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

zsomething wrote:Trump's trying as hard as he can to turn his presidency into a dictatorship.  And his knowledge of history is so scant that he doesn't even realize how obvious he's being about it.  So far he's being held in check by most of the people, but there are a third of America's dimmest people who actually seem to want that.  They just lay down for him. That's more disturbing than what Trump's trying to do.  Evil individuals come along now and again, that's to be expected, but when they find a cult following, that's the real problem.  How are this many people this easily fooled into something so un-American?   Just massive ignorance.  If you go back and watch old films of Germany in the 30's, you see pretty much the same people, all over again.  If that wasn't a hard enough lesson, what the hell is it going to take?

I'm half German and my dad was 100%, or as close as anyone can be.  I had a dilemma as a child learning about WWII and a lot to overcome.  I can't imagine my dad or any of his 5 brothers being duped by a dictator, but here we are in 2018, and all my siblings, along with a couple of my cousins, were big Drumpf fans and remain so, as far as I know.  I blame Fox, Limbaugh, and a host of others for spewing lies on the airwaves without significant repercussion.  The First Amendment doesn't sanction lying.

Also, Drumpf is said to have kept a collection of Hitler's speeches on his bedside table.

11Enemy of the people... Empty Re: Enemy of the people... 1/18/2018, 2:57 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum

That's rich considering what you read and absorb. You take this shit too seriously if it's causing family issues. Make your case and then hug it out. I couldn't imagine losing relatives over politics. I'd never let it happen.

12Enemy of the people... Empty Re: Enemy of the people... 1/18/2018, 4:05 pm

Deus X

Deus X

Enemy of the people... Eabuztn

13Enemy of the people... Empty Re: Enemy of the people... 1/18/2018, 5:28 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

PkrBum wrote:That's rich considering what you read and absorb. You take this shit too seriously if it's causing family issues. Make your case and then hug it out. I couldn't imagine losing relatives over politics. I'd never let it happen.

My siblings all live in Texas. My brother repeatedly attacked me on FB, to the point that several friends responded to his inane messages. For a while, I just deleted the posts, but I finally had enough. I haven't been able to leave town for quite a while, with my husband's health issues and helping out with the grandkids. Enough is enough. It didn't seem to give my brother pause, so why should I put up with it?

14Enemy of the people... Empty Re: Enemy of the people... 1/18/2018, 6:11 pm

Floridatexan wrote:
PkrBum wrote:That's rich considering what you read and absorb. You take this shit too seriously if it's causing family issues. Make your case and then hug it out. I couldn't imagine losing relatives over politics. I'd never let it happen.

My siblings all live in Texas.  My brother repeatedly attacked me on FB, to the point that several friends responded to his inane messages.  For a while, I just deleted the posts, but I finally had enough.  I haven't been able to leave town for quite a while, with my husband's health issues and helping out with the grandkids.  Enough is enough.  It didn't seem to give my brother pause, so why should I put up with it?

You shouldn't have to put up with that.  You did the right thing.  

I have family members I keep at arms distance now because they have gone bat shit crazy drinking the orange koolaid! Wink

15Enemy of the people... Empty Re: Enemy of the people... 1/18/2018, 8:44 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum

panhandler wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

My siblings all live in Texas.  My brother repeatedly attacked me on FB, to the point that several friends responded to his inane messages.  For a while, I just deleted the posts, but I finally had enough.  I haven't been able to leave town for quite a while, with my husband's health issues and helping out with the grandkids.  Enough is enough.  It didn't seem to give my brother pause, so why should I put up with it?

You shouldn't have to put up with that.  You did the right thing.  

I have family members I keep at arms distance now because they have gone bat shit crazy drinking the orange koolaid! Wink

Ya... I agree too. Sorry. I hope that y'all can reconcile.

16Enemy of the people... Empty Re: Enemy of the people... 1/19/2018, 1:37 pm

Telstar

Telstar

Family that vote republican. You can't live with them and you can't live without them. Mad

17Enemy of the people... Empty Re: Enemy of the people... 1/19/2018, 5:39 pm

Telstar wrote:Family that vote republican. You can't live with them and you can't live without them. Mad

Yes you can live WITHOUT them! Very Happy

18Enemy of the people... Empty Re: Enemy of the people... 1/19/2018, 6:11 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum

panhandler wrote:
Telstar wrote:Family that vote republican. You can't live with them and you can't live without them. Mad

Yes you can live WITHOUT them! Very Happy

[  ] Gets it.

[X] Doesn't "get it".

19Enemy of the people... Empty Re: Enemy of the people... 1/19/2018, 7:10 pm

Telstar

Telstar

Enemy of the people... Pkr_bu14

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum