Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Trump just told the truth

+3
EmeraldGhost
Floridatexan
knothead
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Trump just told the truth Empty Trump just told the truth 12/21/2017, 7:35 am

knothead

knothead

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trump-just-told-the-truth-he-may-wish-he-hadnt/2017/12/20/26d8332a-e5de-11e7-833f-155031558ff4_story.html?hpid=hp_no-name_opinion-card-e%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.f055a4c27d6c

“I shouldn’t say this,” Trump said, “but we essentially repealed Obamacare.”

No, he probably shouldn’t have said it. But it’s true. Republicans, in rushing the tax bill to passage, kept fairly quiet about the fact that they were killing the “individual mandate” and thereby removing the engine that made the Affordable Care Act work. In doing so, they threw the health-care system into chaos without offering any remedy. And Trump just claimed paternity of the destruction.

Trump, in a Cabinet meeting earlier Wednesday, let his fleeting encounter with honesty get the better of him when he read aloud the stage directions that called for Republicans not to advertise that they were killing Obamacare. “Obamacare has been repealed in this bill. We didn’t want to bring it up,” he said. “I told people specifically, ‘Be quiet with the fake-news media because I don’t want them talking too much about it.’ Because I didn’t know how people would —.” Trump didn’t finish that thought, but he said he could admit what had been done “now that it’s approved.”[/size]

2Trump just told the truth Empty Re: Trump just told the truth 12/21/2017, 10:03 am

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

knothead wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trump-just-told-the-truth-he-may-wish-he-hadnt/2017/12/20/26d8332a-e5de-11e7-833f-155031558ff4_story.html?hpid=hp_no-name_opinion-card-e%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.f055a4c27d6c

No, he probably shouldn’t have said it. But it’s true. Republicans, in rushing the tax bill to passage, kept fairly quiet about the fact that they were killing the “individual mandate” and thereby removing the engine that made the Affordable Care Act work. In doing so, they threw the health-care system into chaos without offering any remedy. And Trump just claimed paternity of the destruction.

Trump, in a Cabinet meeting earlier Wednesday, let his fleeting encounter with honesty get the better of him when he read aloud the stage directions that called for Republicans not to advertise that they were killing Obamacare. “Obamacare has been repealed in this bill. We didn’t want to bring it up,” he said. “I told people specifically, ‘Be quiet with the fake-news media because I don’t want them talking too much about it.’ Because I didn’t know how people would —.” Trump didn’t finish that thought, but he said he could admit what had been done “now that it’s approved.”[/size]

Republicans (with little fanfare) had already introduced uncertainty into the markets by defunding the risk corridors in 2013. My daughter bought a private policy (BC/BS). She wouldn't have qualified for a subsidy. Her monthly premium just increased to $349/mo., with a $7,000 deductible...and that's just her...not her husband. Insurance was already a nightmare in this country long before the ACA.

3Trump just told the truth Empty Re: Trump just told the truth 12/21/2017, 10:41 am

knothead

knothead

Floridatexan wrote:
knothead wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trump-just-told-the-truth-he-may-wish-he-hadnt/2017/12/20/26d8332a-e5de-11e7-833f-155031558ff4_story.html?hpid=hp_no-name_opinion-card-e%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.f055a4c27d6c

Republicans (with little fanfare) had already introduced uncertainty into the markets by defunding the risk corridors in 2013.  My daughter bought a private policy (BC/BS).  She wouldn't have qualified for a subsidy.  Her monthly premium just increased to $349/mo., with a $7,000 deductible...and that's just her...not her husband.  Insurance was already a nightmare in this country long before the ACA.  

Sadly FT your daughter is only one of millions of Americans who will suffer the consequences now and well into the future. Trump;s obsession with the obliteration of anything-Obama has brought us to this point . . . . . a national catastrophe and this is only the beginning but now we can say definitively that this clusterfuck will be called TrumpCare and they own it!

4Trump just told the truth Empty Re: Trump just told the truth 12/21/2017, 11:42 am

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Floridatexan wrote:

Republicans (with little fanfare) had already introduced uncertainty into the markets by defunding the risk corridors in 2013.  My daughter bought a private policy (BC/BS).  She wouldn't have qualified for a subsidy.  Her monthly premium just increased to $349/mo., with a $7,000 deductible...and that's just her...not her husband.  Insurance was already a nightmare in this country long before the ACA.  

But, Hillary .....

5Trump just told the truth Empty Re: Trump just told the truth 12/21/2017, 12:36 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum

There never should've been a mandate. It's as far from our ideal as slavery.

6Trump just told the truth Empty Re: Trump just told the truth 12/21/2017, 4:39 pm

RealLindaL

PkrBum wrote:There never should've been a mandate. It's as far from our ideal as slavery.

BULLTICKY!!! I'm betting we all know at least one slough-off who refuses to buy insurance and ends up costing us ALL --ALL -- more money to cover their sorry ass when they go to the emergency room for free care, and/or get Medicaid to cover their surgeries. THEY SUCK AND OUR SYSTEM NOW SUCKS. Ideal my foot! We just gave a passel of irresponsible bums a free ride on the rest of us -- AGAIN. Nothing could be more stupid. Just wait 'til you see what happens to insurance premiums NOW. Merry Christmas indeed. HA. Joke's on the Republicans, as they'll find out big time at the mid-terms.

7Trump just told the truth Empty Re: Trump just told the truth 12/21/2017, 5:31 pm

Telstar

Telstar

RealLindaL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:There never should've been a mandate. It's as far from our ideal as slavery.

BULLTICKY!!!   I'm betting we all know at least one slough-off who refuses to buy insurance and ends up costing us ALL --ALL -- more money to cover their sorry ass when they go to the emergency room for free care, and/or get Medicaid to cover their surgeries.   THEY SUCK AND OUR SYSTEM NOW SUCKS.   Ideal my foot!   We just gave a passel of irresponsible bums a free ride on the rest of us -- AGAIN.  Nothing could be more stupid.  Just wait 'til you see what happens to insurance premiums NOW.  Merry Christmas indeed.  HA.  Joke's on the Republicans, as they'll find out big time at the mid-terms.

VOTE THEM OUT! VOTE THEM OUT!

8Trump just told the truth Empty Re: Trump just told the truth 12/22/2017, 1:35 am

RealLindaL

Telstar wrote:
VOTE THEM OUT! VOTE THEM OUT!

cheers   cheers   cheers

9Trump just told the truth Empty Re: Trump just told the truth 12/22/2017, 9:57 am

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

I have a sense that the "mandate" did not much incentivize anyone to buy health insurance who weren't already inclined to do so for reasons of their own. It just penalized them for not doing so.

I expect as many people won't buy health insurance now as didn't when the "mandate" was in effect. Just now they won't have to pay a tax penalty for not doing so.

If anything .. the tax penalty in the mandate for not having health insurance wasn't large enough. If you really want to have an effective health insurance "mandate" ... you're gonna have to take the premiums straight out of people's paychecks, like we do taxes, social security, etc

10Trump just told the truth Empty Re: Trump just told the truth 12/22/2017, 10:58 am

PkrBum

PkrBum

EmeraldGhost wrote:

I have a sense that the "mandate" did not much incentivize anyone to buy health insurance who weren't already inclined to do so for reasons of their own.  It just penalized them for not doing so.

I expect as many people won't buy health insurance now as didn't when the "mandate" was in effect.  Just now they won't have to pay a tax penalty for not doing so.  

If anything .. the tax penalty in the mandate for not having health insurance wasn't large enough.   If you really want to have an effective health insurance  "mandate" ... you're gonna have to take the premiums straight out of people's paychecks, like we do taxes, social security, etc

The tax code should be neutral. It shouldn't be incentivizing and penalizing based on subjective ideological beliefs. I don't even agree with marriage or children providing benefit. Then there's thousands of deductions... most the result of access to OUR politicians. There needs to be a serious review and simplification... all completely transparent.

11Trump just told the truth Empty Re: Trump just told the truth 12/22/2017, 11:34 am

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

PkrBum wrote:
EmeraldGhost wrote:

I have a sense that the "mandate" did not much incentivize anyone to buy health insurance who weren't already inclined to do so for reasons of their own.  It just penalized them for not doing so.

I expect as many people won't buy health insurance now as didn't when the "mandate" was in effect.  Just now they won't have to pay a tax penalty for not doing so.  

If anything .. the tax penalty in the mandate for not having health insurance wasn't large enough.   If you really want to have an effective health insurance  "mandate" ... you're gonna have to take the premiums straight out of people's paychecks, like we do taxes, social security, etc

The tax code should be neutral. It shouldn't be incentivizing and penalizing based on subjective ideological beliefs. I don't even agree with marriage or children providing benefit. Then there's thousands of deductions... most the result of access to OUR politicians. There needs to be a serious review and simplification... all completely transparent.

Trump just told the truth Tenor

12Trump just told the truth Empty Re: Trump just told the truth 12/23/2017, 1:30 am

knothead

knothead

the tax penalty in the mandate for not having health insurance wasn't large enough

I've always thought this to be the case so I agree.

13Trump just told the truth Empty Re: Trump just told the truth 12/23/2017, 5:53 am

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Let's face it, healthcare costs went to hell in a handbag when private, profit-seeking insurers were allowed to take over.

The answer, of course is Single Payer health insurance. Same as almost all the developed countries offer their citizens -- including black, white, yellow, brown varieties. And if we shaved 10% from the military budget, we would have more than is needed to be rated along with the other civilized, developed countries, instead of like the Third World system we currently have.

14Trump just told the truth Empty Re: Trump just told the truth 12/23/2017, 11:05 am

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Wordslinger wrote:

Let's face it, healthcare costs went to hell in a handbag when private, profit-seeking insurers were allowed to take over.

The answer, of course is Single Payer health insurance.  Same as almost all the developed countries offer their citizens -- including black, white, yellow, brown varieties.  And if we shaved 10% from the military budget, we would have more than is needed to be rated along with the other civilized, developed countries, instead of like the Third World system we currently have.  

Shut up and enjoy your tax cut! Cool

15Trump just told the truth Empty Re: Trump just told the truth 12/24/2017, 12:21 pm

You're correct!  There should have been universal healthcare for everyone.

The ACA was a 1/2 step in the right direction.   It will come in 2020 when the orange ass is out!  LOL!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum