Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Travel Ban

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Travel Ban Empty The Travel Ban 12/4/2017, 9:45 pm

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

While I am no fan of Donald Trump ... I've always held the travel ban was not unconstitutional.  It wasn't when previous Presidents did it, and it's not now.   I think this is a correct decision by SCOTUS.  

Congress gave the President the authority in the Imm & Natz Act of 1952, it's up to them to restrict that authority or take it back as they see fit.

2The Travel Ban Empty Re: The Travel Ban 12/5/2017, 3:29 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

EmeraldGhost wrote:While I am no fan of Donald Trump ... I've always held the travel ban was not unconstitutional.  It wasn't when previous Presidents did it, and it's not now.   I think this is a correct decision by SCOTUS.  

Congress gave the President the authority in the Imm & Natz Act of 1952, it's up to them to restrict that authority or take it back as they see fit.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2017/apr/04/cia-john-brennan-trump-travel-ban-counterproductive-video

3The Travel Ban Empty Re: The Travel Ban 12/5/2017, 3:38 pm

2seaoat

The constitutional question was there religious discrimination.  The ban was upheld because the court did not connect the dots with the President's clear religious prejudice.  However, the courts have always been reluctant to armchair quarterback the executive branch unless it is absolutely clear.   The test they used was the rational basis test which means almost any rational reason for the ban would be upheld despite some arguing it should have been the compelling interest test.  The court did not want to handcuff the executive branch who in the future may have to make split second decisions based on their best information.

Clearly, Trump used his prejudice to rally his base, but under the rational basis test, the court had no choice.

4The Travel Ban Empty Re: The Travel Ban 12/5/2017, 5:40 pm

zsomething

Trump is the biggest appeaser of cowards ever to hold that office. He's stupidly going to make things a lot worse trying to play kiss-ass to the crazy right-wing-version-of-Christians who pretty much are his only remaining life-support system. And those Christians are a bigger threat to the U.S. than radicalized Muslims could ever be. If I get a bullet in the head, I can damn sure bet it'll be from some Christian extremist. I've already get threats from 'em all the time, and they're constantly spouting "holy war/ end-times" fantasies. They're just itching to drag anything they consider "liberal" -- which is everyone less crazy than Sean Hannity -- out of their houses and kill 'em in the street. You see it online, and I hear it in person.

Y'know, at least somebody is on the lookout for dangerous Muslim extremists... but the Christian variety get a pass and are the real plague-which-we-dare-not-speak-it's-name. Hell, they're so unacknowledged that Alabama's on the verge of electing one of the lunatics, even though he's a kiddie-fiddler. The only thing right-wing Christians actually hate about Sharia law is that they aren't in charge of it. And no travel ban will keep them out -- they're here, stockpiling weapons, and nobody's sayin' boo about it.

Meanwhile, Trump's playing right into ISIS's hands. Banning people based on their religion supports the jihadi's claim that America is bigoted against them. And, like that's not enough fuel for the fires of jihad, Trump -- just to make his IQ-32 followers happy and fulfill some wacky end-times "prophecy" bullshit they have -- is about to declare Jerusalem the capital of Israel, which will likely stir up all kinds of unrest and destabilization.. All avoidable, all for no point that doesn't involve the fantasies of insane people with childish beliefs. But, he wants a war to distract the public from his Russian crimes, which he knows are about to come home to roost. The lives of millions -- including his own stupid supporters -- are far less important to Trump than covering his own ass. He'll sacrifice the whole country and more for it. He's old, anyway -- your lives and your children's and grandchildren's lives are worth sacrificing so he doesn't have to feel like a "loser," or "unliked."

I wouldn't really care if all the radicalized Christians and radicalized Muslims killed each other off, I wouldn't miss either group and they'd be out of the way so the reasonable people could live in peace... but the problem is, they won't confine it to just themselves. Everybody else is going to be caught in the crossfire between these crazed idiots. We're all paying way too high a price so America's stupidest-and-shittiest people can take a turn at having a "president" and pretend the bullshit they believe isn't bullshit.

I don't mind dying if I have to, but I'm not willing to do it for the sake of people like this:

5The Travel Ban Empty Re: The Travel Ban 12/6/2017, 7:57 am

My problem is they left Saudi Arabia off the list.

The financier of modern day terrorism.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum