Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"It's why we have Trump" (...so we can discriminate at will)

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

RealLindaL

Read it and weep.  Speaks for itself:

Airbnb host who canceled reservation over race fined $5,000
By MICHAEL BALSAMO
From Associated Press
July 13, 2017 2:43 PM EST

LOS ANGELES (AP) — An Airbnb host who cancelled a reservation and told the guest, "One word says it all. Asian," has agreed to pay a $5,000 fine and attend a college course in Asian-American studies, officials with the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing said Thursday.

The guest, Dyne Suh, had booked the home as part of a ski trip with her fiancé and friends in Big Bear in February. When she was close to the house, Suh messaged host Tami Barker through the Airbnb app, but the host cancelled the reservation after a dispute over additional guests.

Barker told Suh in a series of messages that she wouldn't rent to her if she were the last person on Earth.

"One word says it all. Asian," one of the messages said.

When Suh told Barker that she would complain to Airbnb, Barker wrote, "It's why we have Trump ... I will not allow this country to be told what to do by foreigners."

Suh, who posted an emotional video about the incident on YouTube, has said she'd agreed to pay $250 per night to rent the home and later asked Barker if two other friends could also stay at the house, which Barker agreed to. Suh sent Barker screenshots of text messages where she agreed to the additional guests, but Barker cancelled the reservation.

As part of an agreement with state officials, Barker also agreed to personally apologize to Suh and perform community service at a civil rights organization.

A message left at a number listed for Barker was not immediately returned. Her attorney, Edward Lee, said his client was "regretful for her impetuous actions and comments" and is pleased to have resolved the matter.

Suh said in a statement posted on Facebook that she was pleased the settlement included Barker's agreement to attend an Asian-American studies course and hoped the settlement would encourage others to report discrimination.

"I hope that more victims of discrimination will feel encouraged to come forward with their own stories," Suh wrote. "Your pain is not insignificant and you are not alone."

___

Associated Press writer Janie Har in San Francisco contributed to this report.

2seaoat

By golly those Mobile high school kids who visit chicken bone beach completely understand about that Asian thing.....they too are glad President Trump is President.......do not want asians on PB.....thank you President Trump. Who knows what the police would do if Asians invaded PB.

RealLindaL

Either Seaoat has some sick obsession with trashing Pensacola Beach and its residents or -- far more likely -- is smarting from being thoroughly dumped on in his Lumon May thread tonight and is taking it out on me via his nasty PB comments.

Either way, it's transparently childish. GROW UP.

2seaoat

is smarting from being thoroughly dumped on in his Lumon May thread tonight and is taking it out on me via his nasty PB comments.

Oh the wounds are deep and I can hardly get out of my lazy boy to enjoy that Ice cream cake we got at dairy queen. One step at a time. Inch by inch. It was a beating like no other. To think that I would have the audacity to sontinue to defend black people having the right to drive in America without being stopped for nothing but the color of their skin......I do not know if I could survive the dog whistles as I do have sensitive ears, and I have heard that high frequency can actually melt your dairy queen cake before you can fully enjoy it. Plus, everybody on PB knows there is only one thing worse than a high school kid from Mobile eating chicken on PB, and that is an asian using chop sticks on the beach. I have seen the warning signs......no chopsticks allowed on the beach......the horror of some poor PB stepping on a chopstick is just enough to make me put my dairy queen cake back in the freezer.

RealLindaL

Seaoat is digging himself further and further into a deep hole of ridiculousness. Hope he's enjoying it as I can guarantee virtually no one else can bear to watch how silly he looks.

2seaoat

Me look silly......oh the pain.....I could hardly bend over and let my dog lick the plate from my Dairy Queen cake. I will be lost and stricken with despair as I wonder the islands on the John Deere contemplating how I can be find a way to be respectable again. I guess I will start with the pledge.....I will never use chop sticks when eating my chicken on PB.....I know......it did not sound sincere......oh the pain of looking silly. What if I said I would put up a canopy and attend the next Blue angels lemming fest, and promised not to eat chicken with chop sticks. I know.....not enough.....damned to walk the earth as a silly person. It is painful, but somebody must carry that burden.

del.capslock

del.capslock

WTF?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/btraven/

2seaoat

WTF?

Link please

del.capslock

del.capslock

2seaoat wrote:WTF?

Link please

Are you off your meds? The last couple threads sound like you're getting sick again. Call your doctor, see about maybe getting the dose upped.

Really, seaoat, we're all concerned about your mental health. Do you think another short stay at the "spa" would help? Honestly, we all care about you, seaoat, and hate to see you like this.

2seaoat

Link please on spas.......if you have first hand knowledge it does little good without a link.

del.capslock

del.capslock

2seaoat wrote:Link please on spas.......if you have first hand knowledge it does little good without a link.

Are you still smarting about that? Sorry, I didn't realize you were so sensitive.

RealLindaL

del.capslock wrote:Are you still smarting about that? Sorry, I didn't realize you were so sensitive.

Are you kidding??? Poor Seaoat's ego is as fragile as Donald Trump's, and that's saying a LOT.

del.capslock

del.capslock

RealLindaL wrote:
del.capslock wrote:Are you still smarting about that? Sorry, I didn't realize you were so sensitive.

Are you kidding???  Poor Seaoat's ego is as fragile as Donald Trump's, and that's saying a LOT.

Usually, deep-seated insecurity of that sort is rooted in the fact that the person in question realizes that, deep-down, he or she actually IS inferior and they're terrified that everyone else will find out.

It's amazing how many personality traits the subject-at-hand shares with Mr. Trump--the arrogance and the incessant self-reference, for instance.

But we don't want to mention any names, do we? That would be hurtful.

Narcissistic personality disorder is a mental disorder in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for admiration and a lack of empathy for others. But behind this mask of ultraconfidence lies a fragile self-esteem that's vulnerable to the slightest criticism.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/narcissistic-personality-disorder/basics/definition/con-20025568

RealLindaL

del.capslock wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:

Are you kidding???  Poor Seaoat's ego is as fragile as Donald Trump's, and that's saying a LOT.

Usually, deep-seated insecurity of that sort is rooted in the fact that the person in question realizes that, deep-down, he or she actually IS inferior and they're terrified that everyone else will find out.

It's amazing how many personality traits the subject-at-hand shares with Mr. Trump--the arrogance and the incessant self-reference, for instance.

But we don't want to mention any names, do we? That would be hurtful.

Narcissistic personality disorder is a mental disorder in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for admiration and a lack of empathy for others. But behind this mask of ultraconfidence lies a fragile self-esteem that's vulnerable to the slightest criticism.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/narcissistic-personality-disorder/basics/definition/con-20025568

Discerning readers will realize just how close to the truth you are here, del.

2seaoat

Yep, you have my number.

knothead

knothead

By golly those Mobile high school kids who visit chicken bone beach completely understand about that Asian thing....

Having experienced the young blacks from Mobile visiting the island for many years I would say that this turned into an annual nightmare for the public. These young people are so out of control and without a visible police presence the odds of violence seems very very high. I called both Sheriff Morgan and Buck Lee to insist on containment of their mob like behavior. The Sheriff closed Ft. Pickens Rd from the center of the island to anyone who did not live/rent there until the crowd size subsided so I applaud their efforts.

2seaoat

I have been on Navarre Beach where a mob of white drunk high school kids forced everybody off the beach because of their drunken behavior. No police were called. People just took their young families off the beach and back to their rooms. I have been to Panama City during spring break when young white mobs were flowing through our hotel complex drunk and disorderly and were throwing fire extinguishers through hotel room windows and there was NO police presence at all.

My complaint was always that a group of black kids gathering always gets treated differently than a group of white kids gathering. On the one hand the higher ups turned their heads to white teen drunkeness for years, but as soon as black kids started to display that same boorish immature conduct the national guard was all but called out. In fairness, Panama City, Navarre, and PB finallys about a decade ago put their foot down on turning their head and got tougher with all rowdy youthful drinking, but there were still vested business interests in Panama City which said they got too tough on the kids and it was hurting business. The thing I noticed the most was that there was a growing number of Hispanic and black kids who were going to Panama City when they finally put the hammer down. I just want a color blind enforcement.

I remember how the Condo I was associated with in Navarre wanted to bar all none condo members from our beach front, and I was at an annual meeting where some owners from Milton came right out and said that blacks are using our beach. The condo president tried to explain that it was a public beach, but votes were taken for signs and more fencing which made it difficult to access the public beach. Sorry, too many black people on the beach some felt would hurt rentals. Truth

2seaoat

This attitude is nothing new in my life. When my Uncle from Birmingham would come up to visit in Illinois, I would take him to this country club which had a condo complex near the entrance. I remember a black family was washing their car in front of their unit as we were leaving, and my uncle said" seaoat, do they allow nigras to live in those nice condos? He was born in Birmingham in 1930 and was to his death in 2015 a die hard believer in Jim Crow. He went to church twice a week, he was well respected in work, and he is the one who introduced me to Navarre in the Early 70s as a large group of Birmingham people would take over the holiday Inn for New Years Eve celebrations, and at that time for about the first 10 years, I never saw a black person on Navarre Beach. A lot of the ownership in our condo complex was from Alabama, and sadly their views on blacks on the beach was appalling.

knothead

knothead

I can also attest to hooliganism perpetrated by whites and my experience on PB is that it was not tolerated Oatie, I get your point but had law enforcement not brought these folks under control they would have allowed them to create chaos and that certainly crosses the line be it white thugs or black thugs it matters not in my view.

2seaoat

I had been vacationing like Bob in Panama City since the early 1950s, and my mother would come down to the panhandle from Birmingham since the early 1930s. They were segregated beaches. I did not see black people on the beaches until MTV started to do live tv from Panama City in the mid eighties.

I quit taking the kids over to Panama City when the white mobs of high school kids got so bad. It was not College kids acting stupid, it was high school kids drunk out of their heads, and in my entire life I have never seen anything like the white mob throwing fire extinguishers and taking over the beach without any police interference. The business interests at that time had a stand down order because folks were making a lot of money. It NEVER was like this in the fifties or sixties. I never saw this on PB or Navarre Beach in the early seventies, but again there were no black people on the beach. None.

It really started getting bad after Opal, and during this same time I saw more and more hispanic and black families vacationing on the panhandle. We simply never had seen black people on the beach for 30 years prior to 90s, and people like my Uncle did not approve. The De Jure segregation laws indoctrinate a population to not feel comfortable with black kids doing what white kids had done for years.

I am not apologizing for poor behavior by teens. Again, it just is never equal and fair in enforcement. The truth is like many east coast beaches which are flooded by black kids, the backlash is evident. The late 80s Virgina Beach riots show that a few black people on the beach are no problem, but when the numbers begin to increase, the standard changes.

Please somebody explain to me what did one expect when just 15 years earlier black people were not on the beach? It was the same over at Biloxi.
If I won 300 million and as an act of charity I sponsored honor roll students from Chicago to have an all expense paid vacation on PB or Navarre, and over time there was over half the visitors who were black. I would have death threats and there would be white flight and huge drops in real estate prices. So it is more than just racial discrimination. There is an element of economic discrimination.

knothead

knothead

2seaoat wrote:I had been vacationing like Bob in Panama City since the early 1950s, and my mother would come down to the panhandle from Birmingham since the early 1930s.   They were segregated beaches.   I did not see black people on the beaches until MTV started to do live tv from Panama City in the mid eighties.

I quit taking the kids over to Panama City when the white mobs of high school kids got so bad.  It was not College kids acting stupid, it was high school kids drunk out of their heads, and in my entire life I have never seen anything like the white mob throwing fire extinguishers and taking over the beach without any police interference.   The business interests at that time had a stand down order because folks were making a lot of money.   It NEVER was like this in the fifties or sixties.   I never saw this on PB or Navarre Beach in the early seventies, but again there were no black people on the beach.  None.

It really started getting bad after Opal, and during this same time I saw more and more hispanic and black families vacationing on the panhandle.  We simply never had seen black people on the beach for 30 years prior to 90s, and people like my Uncle did not approve.   The De Jure segregation laws indoctrinate a population to not feel comfortable with black kids doing what white kids had done for years.

I am not apologizing for poor behavior by teens.   Again, it just is never equal and fair in enforcement.  The truth is like many east coast beaches which are flooded by black kids, the backlash is evident.  The late 80s Virgina Beach riots show that a few black people on the beach are no problem, but when the numbers begin to increase, the standard changes.

Please somebody explain to me what did one expect when just 15 years earlier black people were not on the beach?  It was the same over at Biloxi.
If I won 300 million and as an act of charity I sponsored honor roll students from Chicago to have an all expense paid vacation on PB or Navarre, and over time there was over half the visitors who were black.   I would have death threats and there would be white flight and huge drops in real estate prices.  So it is more than just racial discrimination.   There is an element of economic discrimination.  

You and Bob evidently have more experience than I on these matters as my experiences date back only to 1972 but you are asking rhetorical questions I believe . . . . . racist behavior looking at it in hindsight but that's the way it was then pure and simple. . . . birds of a feather thing.

2seaoat

Bob and I would talk for hours on Panama City where he would go with his cousin and enjoy the rollercoaster and amusement park. I actually went there when they would run power poles fifty feet out in the surf off the beach. Part of his enjoyment of the pinball machines was based on his youth in Panama City. There were NO black people on those beaches or PB in the fifties. I too did not regularly stop at PB until the early 70s, but the changes were going to clash with black kids from mobile enjoying the beach like white kids had for thirty years. As long as the beaches stay basically lily white they were strong economically. Some of the complaints about the boardwalk center around the same debate. Dollars and cents always win.

knothead

knothead

2seaoat wrote:Bob and I would talk for hours on Panama City where he would go with his cousin and enjoy the rollercoaster and amusement park.   I actually went there when they would run power poles fifty feet out in the surf off the beach.  Part of his enjoyment of the pinball machines was based on his youth in Panama City.  There were NO black people on those beaches or PB in the fifties.  I too did not regularly stop at PB until the early 70s, but the changes were going to clash with black kids from mobile enjoying the beach like white kids had for thirty years.  As long as the beaches stay basically lily white they were strong economically.  Some of the complaints about the boardwalk center around the same debate.  Dollars and cents always win.

I agree . . . . blacks were not welcomed on PB because of fears of negative impacts on the bottom lines of businesses . . . . . I was once stuck on a train in East Chicago (Gary) and starving so I walked into a burger joint, chicken joint . . . whatever and we were the only whites there . . . . I felt like one of the Blues Brothers walking into an all black club . . . the hostility was palpable.

2seaoat

[b]the hostility was palpable.
[/b

I played on an all black adult basketball team. I was the only white person. I was the only white person when we would practice outdoors in a tough all black playground. I took a lot of racist chit, and stood my ground. My game was given a pass, as there was not much respect for a white man's game, and I had to fight to get a pass. We won, and I contributed mostly on defense and rebounding as the do not give it to the white boy was evident. My mother was the middle child from Birmingham Alabama who went to art school in Chicago, and grew up with black kids who were her friends as a child. So it was not unusual for my mother after my father died to take my brother an I to all black churches for baptisms and marriages of friends. Sure she still had racist views, but she worked real hard to make sure we did not. It worked pretty good with me, and failed miserably with my brother. Racism cuts both ways. However, power and wealth does not cut both ways, it is solidly in the white privilege column, and PB and Navarre is and remains basically a playground for the same.

2seaoat

It is funny that when I ran for elected office in three counties, I ran as a Republican. The black churches and black neighborhood organizations never give endorsements to Republicans. I got all the endorsements based on my life work. It is real simply, how you spend that precious allocation of time defines who you are. Of course I came in third out of the four candidates and probably got killed by the black endorsements because the primary is ruled by far right crazies and the idea that black people respected you was the kiss of death.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum