Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Final Four.

+3
PkrBum
2seaoat
Joanimaroni
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Final Four. - Page 2 Empty Re: Final Four. 3/28/2017, 10:07 am

PkrBum

PkrBum

Joanimaroni wrote:
PkrBum wrote: But for a terrible hs girls basketball coach I think my oldest daughter would've played bball I  college. I never interfered by complaining to the coach... but I talked to the ad after her junior year... and he really didn't care. She loved the sport... and he ruined it. I don't think he'd have lasted one year as boys coach.

My girls that played AAU for me played varsity all 4 years in HS. Never did they have a coach that was competitive and wanted to win. Coaching girls was just extra money for the nale coaches that waneed to coaches the guys. I suggested a base pay for coaches with a bonus for every game won. 

Thankfully, all the girls received academic scholarships

My girls did win district. ...they won it by checking themselves into the game and calling their own plays. It turned the game around in the 4th quaternary for the win.

Those are good ideas. It did seem as he wasn't doing what he wanted to be doing. I just don't get that. I would give 100% if I was coaching midgets. I probably should've met with him in private... but I didn't want to interfere. I encouraged my daughter when she complained to meet with the coach... which she did. It didn't do any good tho. He wasn't interested in his position and actually hurt the team more than helping it. They'd have done much better by themselves like your girls did.

27Final Four. - Page 2 Empty Re: Final Four. 3/28/2017, 10:44 am

2seaoat

My daughter got 11 varsity letters in Volleyball, basketball, and track in high school. She faced incredibly incompetent and uncaring coaches, but her fellow athletes grew facing this adversity. Many parents would scream and get involved, we just figured that it was making our daughter stronger. She was offered scholarships in each of the sports, and was a two sport athlete at division 1 level getting academic awards and was captain of the university women's track team while playing on the volleyball team where this great athlete found out the reality that being the best at one level makes you 10th best at the next level, and how you adjust and deal with the same will last a lifetime. It was the challenges with incompetence and working with her team to overcome the same which helped her now to be a successful lawyer. You win some and you lose some, but did you do everything that you could do at the highest level? I get incredibly sad when watching my eight year old granddaughter and hear parents yelling things which are inappropriate to their children......I coached and made sure that kids had fun and I taught them techniques, concepts, and plays which let the weakest among them shine on a given play. My role as a coach was the total child. I still have kids who contact me as adults. It never is simply about winning. It is much much more.

28Final Four. - Page 2 Empty Re: Final Four. 3/28/2017, 10:57 am

PkrBum

PkrBum

You can only imagine what coaching tennis for kids was like... lol. But I too keep up many and talk regularly on fb.

29Final Four. - Page 2 Empty Re: Final Four. 3/28/2017, 11:24 am

Telstar

Telstar

Congratulations to Gonzaga on reaching their first final four.

30Final Four. - Page 2 Empty Re: Final Four. 3/28/2017, 11:32 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I coached Rec and select teams....select teams are competitive. Playing on a select team is about developing and continuing to push each individual player to their potential while maintaining team play. Life is competitive....4 of my girls, now in their early 30's are still very close and best friends. My daughter and one of her best friends coached a select basketball team this year....and the majority of the Rec center directors and referees remembered them well. The girls are now coaching T-ball together....with their sons. 

Success on and off the sports arena.

31Final Four. - Page 2 Empty Re: Final Four. 3/28/2017, 12:48 pm

Telstar

Telstar

32Final Four. - Page 2 Empty Re: Final Four. 3/28/2017, 6:56 pm

2seaoat

You can only imagine what coaching tennis for kids was like... lol. But I too keep up many and talk regularly on fb.

I grew up in a tennis town. My friends lost to Jimmy Connor in doubles play, and thirty kids reached the highest levels over the years. It is not the good kids which pose a problem, it is the early gifted players who have driven parents. I could never deal what I have seen. One of my best friends was a tennis pro at a local country club which produced kids who played in England in the big one, but so many ended up broken and drug addicted. One friends son took his life. Yes, competitive and gifted players should play to win, but as a coach my friend made sure they had fun. He eventually got totally screwed over by the board of directors......mostly from complaining parents. I would not trade one minute working with kids. My daughter and some of her volleyball players have coached at the college level, and they have no use for parents who simply cannot see the limitations of their children. Even Michael Jordan had setbacks, but his parents were supportive and positive.

33Final Four. - Page 2 Empty Re: Final Four. 3/28/2017, 8:47 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum

I can go on and on about the dynamics of coaching kids. One of my first jobs after college was as a pro at a cc... it was awful. In the last fifteen years tho I've coached kids that were already playing at a high level... and that were coachable. Even at that level... only about half made it past the first lesson... either because they couldn't change or the parents were over involved. I'd say of that half it was only about a quarter of them that could advance to a higher level. Human nature is a funny thing when you apply the stress of solo high level competition... most people can't manage it and implode.

34Final Four. - Page 2 Empty Re: Final Four. 3/28/2017, 9:07 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PkrBum wrote:I can go on and on about the dynamics of coaching kids. One of my first jobs after college was as a pro at a cc... it was awful. In the last fifteen years tho I've coached kids that were already playing at a high level... and that were coachable. Even at that level... only about half made it past the first lesson... either because they couldn't change or the parents were over involved. I'd say of that half it was only about a quarter of them that could advance to a higher level. Human nature is a funny thing when you apply the stress of solo high level competition... most people can't manage it and implode.

They have to have that competitive edge driving them.

35Final Four. - Page 2 Empty Re: Final Four. 3/28/2017, 9:41 pm

Telstar

Telstar

36Final Four. - Page 2 Empty Re: Final Four. 3/31/2017, 10:07 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

The girls are playing...
South Carolina over Stanford so far.

37Final Four. - Page 2 Empty Re: Final Four. 3/31/2017, 10:56 pm

2seaoat

I am watching Ms State kicking Cn asz. The winning streak is definitely on the line. They were up by almost 20, but have closed the gap.

38Final Four. - Page 2 Empty Re: Final Four. 3/31/2017, 11:20 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Would have loved to hear Geno at half time.

39Final Four. - Page 2 Empty Re: Final Four. 4/1/2017, 12:28 am

2seaoat

Geno coached a terrible game. What a fun game to watch.

40Final Four. - Page 2 Empty Re: Final Four. 4/1/2017, 12:29 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Wow.

41Final Four. - Page 2 Empty Re: Final Four. 4/1/2017, 1:19 am

RealLindaL

Wow is right. Also damn. Sad

42Final Four. - Page 2 Empty Re: Final Four. 4/1/2017, 8:10 am

Telstar

Telstar

Last edited by Telstar on 4/1/2017, 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

43Final Four. - Page 2 Empty Re: Final Four. 4/1/2017, 1:24 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Games start tonight, Seaoat. 

Mixed feeling about UConn....but Mississippi had the determination.

44Final Four. - Page 2 Empty Re: Final Four. 4/1/2017, 3:42 pm

2seaoat

big bulls game at 4pm......each one matters now.

45Final Four. - Page 2 Empty Re: Final Four. 4/1/2017, 6:15 pm

Telstar

Telstar

Last edited by Telstar on 4/2/2017, 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total

46Final Four. - Page 2 Empty Re: Final Four. 4/1/2017, 7:30 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Bulls are not televised in my area!

How many times are going to repost your stupid video, Telestar?
Any thing for attention, how pathetic.

47Final Four. - Page 2 Empty Re: Final Four. 4/1/2017, 10:57 pm

Telstar

Telstar

Joanimaroni wrote:Bulls are not televised in my area!

How many times are going to repost your stupid video, Telestar?
Any thing for attention, how pathetic.

You are soooo easy Detective Maroni. lol! lol! lol!

48Final Four. - Page 2 Empty Re: Final Four. 4/2/2017, 9:19 am

Telstar

Telstar

Congratulations Gonzaga! Basketball

49Final Four. - Page 2 Empty Re: Final Four. 4/5/2017, 2:22 pm

Telstar

Telstar

Close. Better luck next year Gonzaga.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum: