Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

SUPER RICH IRONY

+2
othershoe1030
knothead
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1SUPER RICH IRONY Empty SUPER RICH IRONY 10/5/2012, 12:58 pm

knothead

knothead

In a quest to continually learn and grow I found this to be both interesting and captivating, I hope you do as well.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/10/08/121008fa_fact_freeland?currentPage=all

2SUPER RICH IRONY Empty Re: SUPER RICH IRONY 10/5/2012, 2:30 pm

knothead

knothead

The article must be too long for my forum friends . . . . too bad.

3SUPER RICH IRONY Empty Re: SUPER RICH IRONY 10/5/2012, 9:23 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

It was a bit long but since I respect your posts I waded through it. I still cannot understand why, after basically saving Wall Street's behind and so on why most of these high rollers have a visceral dislike for Obama's policies.
Granted they work hard and also admit they've been lucky in many ways too. When you're playing at the high stakes table and get lucky the sky is the limit.

They share the same disdain for nearly half the country as expressed by Romney in a rare moment of truth telling. See these comments made six months ago by Cooperman. Romney repeated the same attitude.

The President, in Cooperman’s view, draws political support from those who are dependent on government. Last October, in a question-and-answer session at a Thomson Reuters event, Cooperman said, “Our problem, frankly, is as long as the President remains anti-wealth, anti-business, anti-energy, anti-private-aviation, he will never get the business community behind him. The problem and the complication is the forty or fifty per cent of the country on the dole that support him.

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/10/08/121008fa_fact_freeland#ixzz28TTC4SGS

I think the problem is that these guys think that since they were so lucky and fortunate and hard working that everyone who works hard should become rich too.

They have no respect for any enterprise or life's work other than that of making money. There are other ways of spending your time on the planet as I'm sure they are aware but money making is the one they really respect.

While admitting on the one hand that they've been very lucky they have a very arrogant attitude and seem to think they have no responsibility other than to maximize their tax deductions. Oh, and give money to the Museum of Modern Art.

4SUPER RICH IRONY Empty Re: SUPER RICH IRONY 10/5/2012, 9:33 pm

knothead

knothead

othershoe1030 wrote:It was a bit long but since I respect your posts I waded through it. I still cannot understand why, after basically saving Wall Street's behind and so on why most of these high rollers have a visceral dislike for Obama's policies.
Granted they work hard and also admit they've been lucky in many ways too. When you're playing at the high stakes table and get lucky the sky is the limit.

They share the same disdain for nearly half the country as expressed by Romney in a rare moment of truth telling. See these comments made six months ago by Cooperman. Romney repeated the same attitude.

The President, in Cooperman’s view, draws political support from those who are dependent on government. Last October, in a question-and-answer session at a Thomson Reuters event, Cooperman said, “Our problem, frankly, is as long as the President remains anti-wealth, anti-business, anti-energy, anti-private-aviation, he will never get the business community behind him. The problem and the complication is the forty or fifty per cent of the country on the dole that support him.

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/10/08/121008fa_fact_freeland#ixzz28TTC4SGS

I think the problem is that these guys think that since they were so lucky and fortunate and hard working that everyone who works hard should become rich too.

They have no respect for any enterprise or life's work other than that of making money. There are other ways of spending your time on the planet as I'm sure they are aware but money making is the one they really respect.

While admitting on the one hand that they've been very lucky they have a very arrogant attitude and seem to think they have no responsibility other than to maximize their tax deductions. Oh, and give money to the Museum of Modern Art.

OS, Thanks for taking the time. Regarding your comment I completely agree with your conclusion regarding the view(s) of the super wealthy and their respective views and attendant resentment. Again, thank you.

5SUPER RICH IRONY Empty Re: SUPER RICH IRONY 10/5/2012, 9:46 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

knothead wrote:
OS, Thanks for taking the time. Regarding your comment I completely agree with your conclusion regarding the view(s) of the super wealthy and their respective views and attendant resentment. Again, thank you.
Well, you're welcome. I enjoy your posts. It is good to have a calm reasonable voice on here. The verbal hysterics of some posters is entertaining for a while but wears thin.

Another thing that impressed me about the article was the attitude that this group of 0.01% thought they knew best how to run their companies (probably true) and how to run the country and how everyone else should run their lives, especially women!

6SUPER RICH IRONY Empty Re: SUPER RICH IRONY 10/5/2012, 10:04 pm

knothead

knothead

othershoe1030 wrote:
knothead wrote:
Well, you're welcome. I enjoy your posts. It is good to have a calm reasonable voice on here. The verbal hysterics of some posters is entertaining for a while but wears thin.

Another thing that impressed me about the article was the attitude that this group of 0.01% thought they knew best how to run their companies (probably true) and how to run the country and how everyone else should run their lives, especially women!

I know, that's a perfect example of the shall we say contradictions we witness. Kind of a high and mighty point-of-view.

7SUPER RICH IRONY Empty Re: SUPER RICH IRONY 10/5/2012, 10:41 pm

I've worked since I was 16 years old sometimes two jobs and I resent the fact that I am labeled as being on the dole for being a Democrat. People like this who get lucky and make it really big always forget where they come from and lose their humanity.

8SUPER RICH IRONY Empty Re: SUPER RICH IRONY 10/5/2012, 11:31 pm

knothead

knothead

To Dreams' point and comment, I too have worked since a very young age, worked my way through college so I can relate to your post completely. I took note of your comment regarding humanity . . . . . we have become a nation of "I've got mine so screw you" mentality which is so offensive and contrary to what I was raised to believe in.

Seaoat has so eloquently laid out the case of this charlatan who does not know what he stands for is sickening to me. Considering his choice of a running mate, Paul Ryan, a Tea Party darling, we should all be aware of the long term consequences of voting for Romney as it will literally let the fox in the hen house. That said, people who make it "big" as Dreams alluded to, are often lucky but I hold no animus towards these individuals rather I applaud them: however, once successful they should gleefully pay their fair share of their largess to keep our nation solvent and strong. The long arm of Grover Norquist . . . . .

9SUPER RICH IRONY Empty Re: SUPER RICH IRONY 10/6/2012, 12:14 am

knothead wrote:To Dreams' point and comment, I too have worked since a very young age, worked my way through college so I can relate to your post completely. I took note of your comment regarding humanity . . . . . we have become a nation of "I've got mine so screw you" mentality which is so offensive and contrary to what I was raised to believe in.

Seaoat has so eloquently laid out the case of this charlatan who does not know what he stands for is sickening to me. Considering his choice of a running mate, Paul Ryan, a Tea Party darling, we should all be aware of the long term consequences of voting for Romney as it will literally let the fox in the hen house. That said, people who make it "big" as Dreams alluded to, are often lucky but I hold no animus towards these individuals rather I applaud them: however, once successful they should gleefully pay their fair share of their largess to keep our nation solvent and strong. The long arm of Grover Norquist . . . . .

Well, I take back "always lose their humanity".That would not be true for people like Warren Buffet and Bill Gates but most do and that is perplexing to me? If you've got a good life and more than enough why be so greedy? I don't get that mentality. You can't take it w/ you.

10SUPER RICH IRONY Empty Re: SUPER RICH IRONY 10/6/2012, 1:47 am

Markle

Markle

Dreamsglore wrote:
knothead wrote:To Dreams' point and comment, I too have worked since a very young age, worked my way through college so I can relate to your post completely. I took note of your comment regarding humanity . . . . . we have become a nation of "I've got mine so screw you" mentality which is so offensive and contrary to what I was raised to believe in.

Well, I take back "always lose their humanity".That would not be true for people like Warren Buffet and Bill Gates but most do and that is perplexing to me? If you've got a good life and more than enough why be so greedy? I don't get that mentality. You can't take it w/ you.

That's fine for you but why do you think it is your place to decide what is enough or to much for others? No, you certainly can't take it with you, but shouldn't the INDIVIDUAL be the one who makes the decisions on what happens to THEIR wealth and possessions?

You can't grasp the concept that if I work hard and earn $200,000 per year, that has nothing, whatsoever with you. You may CHOOSE to earn $30,000 per year. That is YOUR decision and does not increase or decrease what I earn. Instead, if you chose to earn $300,000 per year, that has no impact on what I earn. You haven't taken a dime from me. That was YOUR decision.

Progressives simply cannot wrap their mind around that simple fact.

11SUPER RICH IRONY Empty Re: SUPER RICH IRONY 10/6/2012, 9:28 pm

Markle wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

That's fine for you but why do you think it is your place to decide what is enough or to much for others? No, you certainly can't take it with you, but shouldn't the INDIVIDUAL be the one who makes the decisions on what happens to THEIR wealth and possessions?

You can't grasp the concept that if I work hard and earn $200,000 per year, that has nothing, whatsoever with you. You may CHOOSE to earn $30,000 per year. That is YOUR decision and does not increase or decrease what I earn. Instead, if you chose to earn $300,000 per year, that has no impact on what I earn. You haven't taken a dime from me. That was YOUR decision.

I'm not talking about what you earn.I'm talking about helping others. You don't seem to grasp that. Greediness and selfishness is the core value in the republican party. Money is not everything ...except to you. I feel sorry for you,seriously.

12SUPER RICH IRONY Empty Re: SUPER RICH IRONY 10/6/2012, 9:46 pm

no stress

no stress

Dreamsglore wrote:
Markle wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

I'm not talking about what you earn.I'm talking about helping others. You don't seem to grasp that. Greediness and selfishness is the core value in the republican party. Money is not everything ...except to you. I feel sorry for you,seriously.

Seriously? You have seen what Romney donates to charity V/S what Obama donates right? Might want to re-evaluate your statement. lol

13SUPER RICH IRONY Empty Re: SUPER RICH IRONY 10/6/2012, 9:59 pm

2seaoat

Nope....I would suggest my choice is to be an American. I tried the selfish route for 30 years. I felt I was superior because my income was top 2%. I was self made. Nobody owed me anything, and I did not owe anybody anything. I paid for every dime of my schooling and worked my way through school. I had great success in my business.........but I thought what I was doing was improving the nation. I thought I was creating wealth and I was making this country strong for my children and grandchildren.......and then I got sick in 2008. I started looking at my fellow Americans. I started to hear their stories. I started to see economic collapse as our prosperity was as false as the theories which created the illusion that America was becoming stronger with Trickle down.

No, wisdom is hard earned. It is my choice to vote and work for policies which help Americans....not 1% of our citizens, but the index is the median income index. American citizens are going to come first before a selfish and self absorbed 1% who think that a rigged game in America is the choice of so many of its citizens. I prospered in 1985, and I can prosper in 2015 in an America paying more taxes and supporting policies which build America. The big lie has come to an end. This selfish self absorbed abandonment of America is treason. Move to the Caymans....but for the rest of us, we are not going to vote for Romney and his failed economic proposals. America will prosper. It will "choose" policy which accomplishes the same.....and you can "choose" to whine....or maybe you can do like MItten the Kitten and move to France....but Americans are going to balance our budgets, increase revenues, reduce government, and create jobs and industry in America again.......the lies can never stop the tidal wave which is building......the smoke and mirrors will soon be gone.

14SUPER RICH IRONY Empty Re: SUPER RICH IRONY 10/6/2012, 11:09 pm

Gunz wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
Markle wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

Seriously? You have seen what Romney donates to charity V/S what Obama donates right? Might want to re-evaluate your statement. lol

I was talking about the republican party.Obama doesn't make what Romney makes so I don't know why you are comparing that.

15SUPER RICH IRONY Empty Re: SUPER RICH IRONY 10/6/2012, 11:12 pm

Markle wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

Who decided what was enough or too much for others? Certainly not me so I don't know what the hell you're talking about?

16SUPER RICH IRONY Empty Re: SUPER RICH IRONY 10/6/2012, 11:29 pm

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

You effin poor people sound like you want to kill the rich and spend their money on lotto schratchers, cigarettes, beer, 22 inch rims, and gold teeth.

Then what?

Think ahead much?

17SUPER RICH IRONY Empty Re: SUPER RICH IRONY 10/7/2012, 12:17 am

2seaoat

Nope....just want to go back to those radical 1980s when America still made things and people paid their bills.......The slackers are the ones who are pushing the abolition of ATM, capital gains, estate taxes, and a 20% cut in rates....yes that sounds responsible.....another 10 trillion dollar upside down and the collapse of our nation.....yep the slackers think that they know who the 47% are........well with this plan it is going to be 80% not paying taxes, and America will be a footnote in history. Trickle down did not work the first time.....and Flush down will finish this nation. pirat pirat pirat to hell with the pirates....we will not watch our nation be hijacked and our wealth just become the booty of the same.....the eye patch on Mitten is well hidden, as is his booty.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum