Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

‘Is that not correct?’: Male GOP lawmaker asks why men should pay for prenatal coverage

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/03/09/is-that-not-correct-male-gop-lawmaker-asks-why-men-should-pay-for-prenatal-coverage/?utm_term=.0d694ec8de08&wpisrc=nl_most-draw10&wpmm=1

(Watch the video of Rep. John Shimkus (R-IL) asking why men have to pay for maternity benefits)

"In the 27 hours the House Energy and Commerce Committee spent debating Republicans’ Obamacare revision plan, a handful of moments stand out.

This is one of them.

At the start, Democratic Rep. Mike Doyle (Pa.) was talking with Republican Rep. John Shimkus (Ill.) about Shimkus’s objections to the Affordable Care Act’s requirements for health-insurance plans.

As a reminder, former president Barack Obama’s signature 2010 health-care law ordered that all health plans cover certain essential health benefits, such as doctor visits, hospital care and prescription drugs.

The law also required plans to cover pregnancy and childbirth. That’s where the fireworks started in the Energy and Commerce Committee.

“What mandate in the Obamacare bill does he take issue with?” Doyle asked Shimkus, using the formal parlance of congressional committees.

“What about men having to purchase prenatal care?” Shimkus said.

At that point, one could hear the room start to stir.

“I’m just . . . is that not correct?” Shimkus said. “And should they?”...

[...]

My comment at WP:

I had to fight this battle with my employer in 1981. It was not uncommon, even then, for employers to try and save money by cutting maternity benefits. I engaged the help of the EEOC, who transcribed my concerns and mailed me a copy, which I then presented to my employer. I had already watched a male coworker receive no benefits from the insurance plan for his wife's pregnancy and delivery. My employer paid for a miscarriage, but more important, they reinstated the maternity benefit. My oldest daughter was born the following year, fully covered. How is it that there are so many idiots in Congress? (Rhetorical).

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum