Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Trey Gowdy speaks out on extreme vetting

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

“Our nation has a long and rich history of welcoming those fleeing persecution. We also have a long and rich history of liberating those suffering under oppression. We are the most welcoming and generous country in the world, and we are a country of immigrants.
The world we find ourselves in is dangerous and becoming increasingly so. Since national security and public safety are the preeminent functions of government, there is a fundamental duty to ensure the necessary background investigations can be done to stop anyone intent on doing harm from exploiting Americans’ generosity and taking more innocent lives.
American people deserve border and interior security. They deserve to know who is coming to our country, for what purpose, and for how long. They deserve to be assured those seeking entry into the country – regardless of the length of stay – have been vetted thoroughly and do not represent a security risk.
I am committed to doing everything we can to keep Americans safe just as I am committed to defending religious liberty and providing refuge to those fleeing persecution.”
America needs to stand for people who are being treated terribly in their homeland simply for exercising their religious freedoms, but we cannot be stupid about it either. We cannot and will not remain free if we invite people into our country who hate everything we stand for.

[color:da40=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701960784313725)]http://rightwingnews.com/donald-trump/trey-gowdy-issued-statement-trumps-extreme-vetting-policy/

Sal

Sal

Squish.

2seaoat

Nonsense. Trey Gowdy is lying. We have rejected people in our immigration policies because of prejudice. We are rejecting people now because of prejudice. There was no risk when jews were rejected, and there is no risk when Muslims are rejected. If it were not for jewish scientist, we might be speaking German or Japanese, and if Steve Jobs Syrian immigrant father never was allowed into America, the genius of his son may have left us light years behind in technology.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/1/27/14412082/refugees-history-holocaust

RealLindaL

Joanimaroni wrote:
America needs to stand for people who are being treated terribly in their homeland simply for exercising their religious freedoms, but we cannot be stupid about it either. We cannot and will not remain free if we invite people into our country who hate everything we stand for.

Oh for Pete's sake.  What don't you people understand (or, giving you more credit for some intelligence, why do you pretend not to understand) about the fact that there is ALREADY a very lengthy (two years or more) and difficult vetting process for refugees???  It has been posted recently on this board in detail and you choose to ignore it because it doesn't match the MYTHS that Trump, Bannon & Co. love to foist on us to create unwarranted fear and trembling.

Better yet, point out, please, ONE incidence of terror in this nation perpetrated by a Muslim refugee from these countries.  YOU CAN'T.

If I remember correctly... just last November the guy that ran his car into a crowd was a Somali refugee.

RealLindaL

Guest wrote:If I remember correctly... just last November the guy that ran his car into a crowd was a Somali refugee.

And if I remember correctly, the family of this 18 or 20-year-old OSU student was originally Somali but had immigrated to the U.S. from Pakistan. He was a lawful permanent resident who had apparently become self-radicalized.

So I guess this one guy is the closest you could come, "guest," but he didn't even arrive here from one of the seven countries in question, and I doubt, at his age, that his future tendencies could've been anticipated no matter how 'extreme' the vetting.

Look, there will always be occasional nut cases, no matter what we do. But for pity's sake we need to refrain from throwing the baby out with the bath water, making things far worse in the process.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum