Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bridgegate case verdict: Former officials guilty on all counts

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

boards of FL

boards of FL

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/04/politics/bridgegate-case-verdict-reached/index.html

Two former officials linked to New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie's office were found guilty on all charges Friday in connection with the closure of lanes in 2013 on the George Washington Bridge in an act of alleged political retribution, the fallout for which has come to be known as Bridgegate.

The news comes after nearly five days of deliberations from the jury.
Bridget Anne Kelly, the former deputy chief of staff to Christie, and Bill Baroni, the former deputy executive director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, both faced seven counts of various charges including conspiracy, fraud, and civil rights deprivation.

The verdict is another setback in Christie's political career, following a controversy that spans nearly three years and put a significant dent in the Garden State Republican's presidential ambitions. Christie is heading planning behind Republican nominee Donald Trump's transition if he wins the presidency.

CNN has reached out to the Trump campaign for comment and not yet gotten a response.

Prosecutors allege that the lane closures on the George Washington Bridge were part of a deliberate effort to punish the Democratic mayor of Fort Lee, New Jersey, who did not endorse the Republican incumbent Christie in his 2013 re-election bid.

Emails and text messages released in January of 2014 form the basis of the charges. In one particularly damning email, Kelly told former Port Authority official David Wildstein, "Time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee."
Kelly later said her messages contained "sarcasm and humor," and she claims that she had told Christie about traffic problems resulting from a study a day prior to sending the email.

Defense attorneys in the federal court trial filed a motion for a mistrial Thursday.

Kelly and Baroni each face a maximum sentence of 86 years, according to Paul Fishman, the federal prosecutor in the case.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

boards of FL wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/04/politics/bridgegate-case-verdict-reached/index.html

Two former officials linked to New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie's office were found guilty on all charges Friday in connection with the closure of lanes in 2013 on the George Washington Bridge in an act of alleged political retribution, the fallout for which has come to be known as Bridgegate.

The news comes after nearly five days of deliberations from the jury.
Bridget Anne Kelly, the former deputy chief of staff to Christie, and Bill Baroni, the former deputy executive director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, both faced seven counts of various charges including conspiracy, fraud, and civil rights deprivation.

The verdict is another setback in Christie's political career, following a controversy that spans nearly three years and put a significant dent in the Garden State Republican's presidential ambitions. Christie is heading planning behind Republican nominee Donald Trump's transition if he wins the presidency.

CNN has reached out to the Trump campaign for comment and not yet gotten a response.

Prosecutors allege that the lane closures on the George Washington Bridge were part of a deliberate effort to punish the Democratic mayor of Fort Lee, New Jersey, who did not endorse the Republican incumbent Christie in his 2013 re-election bid.

Emails and text messages released in January of 2014 form the basis of the charges. In one particularly damning email, Kelly told former Port Authority official David Wildstein, "Time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee."
Kelly later said her messages contained "sarcasm and humor," and she claims that she had told Christie about traffic problems resulting from a study a day prior to sending the email.

Defense attorneys in the federal court trial filed a motion for a mistrial Thursday.

Kelly and Baroni each face a maximum sentence of 86 years, according to Paul Fishman, the federal prosecutor in the case.

Considering the criminal implications of the convictions cited above, Christie needs to write a letter of apology addressed "to whom it may concern", open his desk drawer, remove his sidearm. Charge the slide, put the barrel in his mouth and pull the trigger.

2seaoat

What were they thinking. Emergency vehicles saving people's lives for days had to be put into a criminal conspiracy which had no morals. I would like the SA to review how many people died because of the delays. I used to admire Christy. I liked him in 2008. It appears to me he had full knowledge of this political pay back. What a shame that the Republicans are using dirty tricks to try to keep power because they are not offering the American people policies which positively impact their lives.......now the Oligarchy and 1%....they love the dirty tricks because that is all that keeps them in power.

I think we should strip govt employees of civil rights. No 5th... no bs protections... they are accountable. When corruption is found then the worst cases are hung in front of the courthouse. If you don't like it... find a different line of work. I'm sick to death of this bloated bureaucratic excuse for a responsive entity.

And I think the people that keep voting for bigger central govt are useful idiots. It's already monstrous.

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:I think we should strip govt employees of civil rights. No 5th... no bs protections... they are accountable. When corruption is found then the worst cases are hung in front of the courthouse.

Yeah, brah. Like, totally, or something.

It would decimate the ruling elite... I can understand your reluctance. POWER TO THE GOVT..!!

2seaoat

I will type this slowly. You can put bad people in jail without taking their constitutional rights away. You continually discount the miracle of American democracy and the beauty of our constitution. You think government is bad and want to destroy it and our constitution. I just do not think you are thinking through things at times. I know you would never play poker this way, and your deep seated distrust must be bound by some experience you have had which is clouding your judgment. We can and do every day put bad people in jail by following the law and constitution. Most public servants and government employees are not bad and immoral people. What they do is important. Can we improve our system. Yes we can.

Sal

Sal

2seaoat wrote:I will type this slowly.  You can put bad people in jail without taking their constitutional rights away.

Only single mothers of four and patsies.

Fat ass big shots walk.

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:I think we should strip govt employees of civil rights. No 5th... no bs protections... they are accountable. When corruption is found then the worst cases are hung in front of the courthouse.

Let's put aside the tongue in cheek banter for a sec.  You don't really believe this, do you?  You don't really believe that government employees should be hung in public squares, right?  Take a second to step back, take a breath, collect your thoughts, hell, do whatever you have to do.  You don't really believe this, right?

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

This can't help but reflect on the Trump campaign. Christie was supposed to run the transition team. It's not just Trump, it's everyone around him.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum