Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Matthew

+4
ZVUGKTUBM
RealLindaL
2seaoat
dumpcare
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Matthew - Page 2 Empty Re: Matthew 10/6/2016, 4:38 pm

Sal

Sal

We are beginning to experience the outer bands.

About an hour ago we had a squall which was much stronger than anything the local knuckleheads were predicting we'd get today.

27Matthew - Page 2 Empty Re: Matthew 10/6/2016, 6:02 pm

RealLindaL

ppaca wrote:this just may end up in the gulf next week.

If you look at today's 5 p.m. track cone (visible above in my post from yesterday, as it changes automatically when the page is reloaded), it's very apparent that no one knows where the storm will be after five days from now, much less where it'll be headed.

28Matthew - Page 2 Empty Re: Matthew 10/6/2016, 6:05 pm

RealLindaL

Sal wrote:We are beginning to experience the outer bands.

About an hour ago we had a squall which was much stronger than anything the local knuckleheads were predicting we'd get today.

You think actually stronger than tropical storm force winds (39 to 73 mph)?

29Matthew - Page 2 Empty Re: Matthew 10/6/2016, 6:58 pm

2seaoat

I have never been able to figure out folks who think it is macho to not evacuate from a Cat 4 Hurricane. Stupid is hard to fix.

30Matthew - Page 2 Empty Re: Matthew 10/6/2016, 7:12 pm

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
Sal wrote:Our local meteorologists are calling for less than 2" of rain and nothing more than breezy conditions on the first pass. Both cars have full tanks, and I have enough water to last a week. Gonna fill my cans and put some more water in tomorrow just to be safe.

Dang..... I just looked at Accuweather's hurricane update, and this thing is going to even affect Tampa from the back side. Your preparations are wise, Sal.

Fort Lauderdale to Saint Augustine are in direct line of Cat 4 winds.

Our whole state's insurance rates will rise once again, beginning in 2017.......

IF the storm is as catastrophic as Katrina, Sandy or Andrew, are increases in insurance rates a problem? Why? Would you prefer no insurance?

31Matthew - Page 2 Empty Re: Matthew 10/6/2016, 7:45 pm

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:I have never been able to figure out folks who think it is macho to not evacuate from a Cat 4 Hurricane.   Stupid is hard to fix.

Obviously, the real 2seaoat and we agree 100%.

I have never evacuated. I lived through four large hurricanes in South Miami with one, Donna, being a major storm. We lived near Homestead Air Force Base which was a SAC Base at the time. The wind instruments at the Base blew away at over 160 mph. I also lived through a smaller one in Key West where I, and my assistant stayed in the store overnight.

The Conch's in Key West never evacuated, they lived on the high side, old part of the island. I lived in Old Town and our store was across the highway from a bay going out to the Gulf.

Where we lived in South Miami was totally destroyed in Hurricane Andrew. I still had close friends who lived in what was then Cutler Ridge, it was virtually destroyed. My friends evacuated and when they returned, one house was totally gone, that was on the fish farm property where I first worked. Other friends houses in Cutler Ridge, house were severely damaged. The one who lived at the fish farm, lived in a tent, in the others back yard, for close to a year until they could rebuild and utilities were restored. I went to that neighborhood for a speaking engagement 2 years after Andrew and the shopping center where I had worked as a kid, had a chain link fence and the whole thing was just then being loaded into dump trucks and scores of houses were still without roofs or inhabitable.

If you're told to evacuate, get out.

I've not just seen pictures of the damage. I have seen 2"x4" studs half way through Coconut and Royal Palm trees. Until you've seen it in person, you can't believe the destruction.

32Matthew - Page 2 Empty Re: Matthew 10/6/2016, 8:16 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Markle wrote:
ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
Sal wrote:Our local meteorologists are calling for less than 2" of rain and nothing more than breezy conditions on the first pass. Both cars have full tanks, and I have enough water to last a week. Gonna fill my cans and put some more water in tomorrow just to be safe.

Dang..... I just looked at Accuweather's hurricane update, and this thing is going to even affect Tampa from the back side. Your preparations are wise, Sal.

Fort Lauderdale to Saint Augustine are in direct line of Cat 4 winds.

Our whole state's insurance rates will rise once again, beginning in 2017.......

IF the storm is as catastrophic as Katrina, Sandy or Andrew, are increases in insurance rates a problem?  Why?  Would you prefer no insurance?

I'm not complaining... Just making an observation.

I am well insured, hurricane hardened, and I live inland from the ocean.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

33Matthew - Page 2 Empty Re: Matthew 10/6/2016, 8:57 pm

dumpcare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nggyQhmMPTM&feature=youtu.be

tropical tidbits

34Matthew - Page 2 Empty Re: Matthew 10/6/2016, 9:13 pm

dumpcare

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floaters/14L/imagery/rbtop-animated.gif

35Matthew - Page 2 Empty Re: Matthew 10/7/2016, 12:14 am

RealLindaL

Things potentially looking at lot better as of the 11 p.m. EDT update tonight from the NHC. Track of storm's center now appears to stay offshore all the way past FL, GA and SC. Very good news for millions, but of course the problem is now people won't believe the next storm's warnings and will be even more reluctant to evacuate, in the "don't cry wolf" tradition. Still, officials did what they had to do. Could've been a lot worse -- and still may be, if the track varies even a little to the west, or, even if it doesn't, could be bad in terms of surge and flooding. More will become apparent Friday, I think.

36Matthew - Page 2 Empty Re: Matthew 10/7/2016, 6:41 am

dumpcare

RealLindaL wrote:Things potentially looking at lot better as of the 11 p.m. EDT update tonight from the NHC.   Track of storm's center now appears to stay offshore all the way past FL, GA and SC.   Very good news for millions, but of course the problem is now people won't believe the next storm's warnings and will be even more reluctant to evacuate, in the "don't cry wolf" tradition.   Still, officials did what they had to do.  Could've been a lot worse -- and still may be, if the track varies even a little to the west, or, even if it doesn't, could be bad in terms of surge and flooding.  More will become apparent Friday, I think.

37Matthew - Page 2 Empty Re: Matthew 10/8/2016, 8:29 am

dumpcare

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/local/hurricane-matthew-videos-from-the-jacksonville-area-that-you-have-to-watch/454749055

38Matthew - Page 2 Empty Re: Matthew 10/9/2016, 1:10 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I think we should all keep in mind that this storm killed upwards of 800 people in Haiti and destroyed their "breadbasket" around Port au Prince.

Matthew - Page 2 _91524891_0ec45aee-8209-4746-ac1b-7c15f9393dd0

39Matthew - Page 2 Empty Re: Matthew 10/9/2016, 2:26 pm

RealLindaL

Floridatexan wrote:
I think we should all keep in mind that this storm killed upwards of 800 people in Haiti and destroyed their "breadbasket" around Port au Prince.

Absolutely we "should," FT, but human nature (or at least U.S. nature) will far too easily put that in the "out of sight, out of mind" category in terms of how much the Haitian tragedy does or doesn't influence future complacency as to hurricane predictions and the need for evacuation when called for.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum