Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

New jobless claims fall to 247,000 - lowest level since 1973 - pointing to a strong April employment report

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

boards of FL

boards of FL

http://mam.econoday.com/byshoweventfull.asp?fid=471738&cust=mam&year=2016&lid=0&prev=/byweek.asp#top

The labor market once again, against a background of soft data, shows itself as the economy's leading positive. Initial claims fell 6,000 in the April 16 week to a much lower-than-expected 247,000. This is the lowest level since 1973 when, of course, the size of the labor market was much smaller. The 4-week average is down 4,500 to 260,500.

The April 16 week is important as it is the sample week for the April employment report and a comparison with the sample week of the March employment is positive to mixed. The weekly level is down 12,000 but the 4-week average is up fractionally. Continuing claims, in lagging data for the April 9 week, fell 39,000 to 2.127 million which is the lowest for this series since 2000.

Employers are holding onto their employees in convincing confirmation of the strength of the nation's labor market. This report points to another solid reading for the monthly employment report.

New jobless claims fall to 247,000 - lowest level since 1973 - pointing to a strong April employment report Showimage

2seaoat

It is incredible how solid the President's recovery has been since the prior administration drove this nation into the ditch. Eight years and I am having a hard time to get electricians to show up at the job because they have so many other jobs. As the babyboomers retire at 10k a day, jobs are opening up and there are signs everywhere seeking help. What an incredible run.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

It's not just employment which has improved so dramatically.

I live in the East Hill area.  There have been lots in East Hill which have remained vacant for the last half century.  Until just recently.
Now just about every vacant lot in East Hill has a completed home or a home under construction on it.  That ALL has happened since Barack Obama took office.

But of course this is all "anecdotal" so bds will never accept it. Not until he can find a graph. lol

boards of FL

boards of FL

A little perspective on exactly how good these numbers are. These claims were nearly at 700,000 at the height of the Great Recession, and they are now at the lowest levels since 1973 - and this is in spite of the fact that our population has grown by 100 million since 1973.

New jobless claims fall to 247,000 - lowest level since 1973 - pointing to a strong April employment report U0hleuu

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum