Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My Favorite Local Mexican Restaurant is Shuttered....

+2
Joanimaroni
ZVUGKTUBM
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Monterey's Mexican Grill on Mobile Highway. It opened in 1999 and my wife and (and family sometimes) have eaten there 100+ times since then. I live on that side of town, so it is a convenient location that served good food.

According to my step-daughter, the rumor mill is saying there was a big undercover drug bust there yesterday. My wife passed there today and said the entrance was all boarded up, with no cars in the parking lot. That place was always busy with customers.

My Favorite Local Mexican Restaurant is Shuttered.... Monter10

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

The Mexican Restaurant in Gulf Breeze was busted for drugs...the owner is in jail for trafficking large amounts of Cocaine.

2seaoat

The Mexican restaurant in Milton a half block north of the Walgreens just closed since the last time we were down......I watched a Bulls game there and phewwww gone. Not a good time for Mexican restaurants.....

RealLindaL

Joanimaroni wrote:The Mexican Restaurant in Gulf Breeze was busted for drugs...the owner is in jail for trafficking large amounts of  Cocaine.

Joani, are you talking about Cancun, that was shuttered a number of years back? Yep, there were several arrests and the owner was sent away for LIFE.

Or is this yet another place you're referring to?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Caccun's.

RealLindaL

Actually I believe there are (or were) several Monterrey's Mexican restaurants in the area.  I wonder if they're all affected in some way, or separately owned.

But wait a minute -- when I google the one on Mobile Hwy the hits show its being spelled with one R, whereas all the other locations have two R's.   Z's original post uses only one R in his text, but the accompanying photo shows a place with two R's on the sign.  Now I'm totally confused, my usual state.

BBL,    LL

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://www.yelp.com/biz/taco-rock-pensacola

Try Taco Rock...I know...it doesn't look like much, but the food is authentic.

I'll try it. Being from Texas it can be pretty disappointing eating mexican food even when they claim to be authentic.

RealLindaL

I lived in Del Rio, TX on the Mexican border early in my first marriage, when my late ex was stationed at Laughlin AFB.   The Mexican food was absolutely fabulous, even though it almost always gave me the you-know-whats.   I've eaten so-called Mexican food in multiple cities and states since then, and have yet to find anything anywhere NEAR approaching the real thing, at least as I knew it.  

That said, I do enjoy Cactus Flower, which at least bills itself as "California Mexican" so it's not claiming to be the true Latino fare.  

Still, I'd love to find the real Mexican thing again someday.  I do realize my taste buds were more sensitive, being that I was a lot younger -- but on the other hand I was a smoker then and am not now.   I've never really been able to put my finger on what was so special about border food but my  best guess is a combo of very rich, very generous and tasty cheeses, and fresh, authentic herbs and spices.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

RealLindaL wrote:I lived in Del Rio, TX on the Mexican border early in my first marriage, when my late ex was stationed at Laughlin AFB.   The Mexican food was absolutely fabulous, even though it almost always gave me the you-know-whats.   I've eaten so-called Mexican food in multiple cities and states since then, and have yet to find anything anywhere NEAR approaching the real thing, at least as I knew it.  

That said, I do enjoy Cactus Flower, which at least bills itself as "California Mexican" so it's not claiming to be the true Latino fare.  

Still, I'd love to find the real Mexican thing again someday.  I do realize my taste buds were more sensitive, being that I was a lot younger -- but on the other hand I was a smoker then and am not now.   I've never really been able to put my finger on what was so special about border food but my  best guess is a combo of very rich, very generous and tasty cheeses, and fresh, authentic herbs and spices.

I love Cactus Flower.

RealLindaL

Joanimaroni wrote:I love Cactus Flower.

Smile  Enchiladas Verdes with shrimp, black beans & cilantro lime rice.  YUM.

polecat

polecat

The new place across from the airport, Cactus Cantina I think, is very good for American style Mexican food.
The place at Cordova Mall that used to be a Monterey's changed its name a few months back to Rio Bravo.

RealLindaL wrote:

Ate there last month with some good folks. Food was delicious! First time there.

RealLindaL

polecat wrote:The new place across from the airport, Cactus Cantina I think, is very good for American style Mexican food.
The place at Cordova Mall that used to be a  Monterey's changed its name a few months back to Rio Bravo.

Wonder if that's the same people as the Rio Bravo in the Gulf Breeze Wal-Mart Super Center plaza. Better than Monterrey's, but still not terrific.

RealLindaL

SheWrites wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:

Ate there last month with some good folks.  Food was delicious!  First time there.

Which location?  They have a few now.  Just curious.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I have eaten at Cactus Flower on 12th Ave and the beach. For convenience we eat at the beach location more.

RealLindaL wrote:
SheWrites wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:

Ate there last month with some good folks.  Food was delicious!  First time there.

Which location?  They have a few now.  Just curious.

12th avenue.

....and coming soon to downtown Pensacola - another Mexican restaurant!

Taco Mez
21 W. Romana St

This is per an article in the PNJ by Michael Carro, a local realtor.

RealLindaL

Joanimaroni wrote:I have eaten at Cactus Flower on 12th Ave and the beach. For convenience we eat at the beach location more.

Same here.  When the beach location first opened it wasn't as good, we thought, but has now equaled or surpassed 12th Ave.

Has anyone been to that Xiscali place that opened up a couple of years ago in the old Hall's building on Gregory?  It received perfectly awful reviews in the early days, putting us off from ever trying it.  Never seems very crowded when we drive by.

RealLindaL wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:I have eaten at Cactus Flower on 12th Ave and the beach. For convenience we eat at the beach location more.

Same here.  When the beach location first opened it wasn't as good, we thought, but has now equaled or surpassed 12th Ave.

Has anyone been to that Xiscali place that opened up a couple of years ago in the old Hall's building on Gregory?  It received perfectly awful reviews in the early days, putting us off from ever trying it.  Never seems very crowded when we drive by.

Been there, won't go again.

RealLindaL

colaguy wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:

Mind sharing your experience?

RealLindaL wrote:
colaguy wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:

Mind sharing your experience?

When I went, many months ago, it seemed as if they had not upgraded the décor much since it had been Hall's - and Hall's was pitiful.  The food was nothing special. You can get similar at many other Mex places in Pensacola.  Now, if it's quantity and low price you're looking for, then maybe it's your kind of place. I don't know why Pcola has so many Mex restaurants.  We could use some different types: Thai, Japanese, Fusion, Korean, etc.  

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

And, another Mexican restaurant is opening at a former Quincy's location on Mobile Highway, a few blocks south of the intersection with Saufley Field Road

That one is even closer to my house than Montereys was, and we will definitely be trying it out.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Try Arlene's BBQ on Mobile Hwy. just past Fairfield.

Last edited by Joanimaroni on 4/6/2016, 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total

RealLindaL

colaguy wrote:Has anyone been to that Xiscali place that opened up a couple of years ago in the old Hall's building on Gregory?  It received perfectly awful reviews in the early days, putting us off from ever trying it.  Never seems very crowded when we drive by.

Been there, won't go again.[/quote]

Mind sharing your experience?[/quote]

When I went, many months ago, it seemed as if they had not upgraded the décor much since it had been Hall's - and Hall's was pitiful.  The food was nothing special. You can get similar at many other Mex places in Pensacola.  Now, if it's quantity and low price you're looking for, then maybe it's your kind of place. I don't know why Pcola has so many Mex restaurants.  We could use some different types: Thai, Japanese, Fusion, Korean, etc.  [/quote]

Thanks for the info, cola.  Though I don't like to see any business fail, makes me wonder how long it will stay open.  Also makes me just as glad we haven't bothered with the place.   
Agree we could use more diversity.   The area does have most of the types you mention, I think, though certainly not as widespread as Mexican.   And too bad most of the Mexican places are blah.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum