Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kidney stone....go figure!

+4
Markle
knothead
ZVUGKTUBM
Joanimaroni
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Kidney stone....go figure! Empty Kidney stone....go figure! 2/18/2016, 4:37 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Had a great water aerobic work out Tuesday night....actually I over did it and then went to a basketball game. Got home exhausted and went to bed. 

Woke up with excruciating back pain at 4am. Being a retired nurse, I feel it is up to me to figure out the diagnosis and figured it was related to extensive water workout. By 6am I had it narrowed done to an acute iliopsoas spasm. Awesome! So I take a muscle relaxant.....go back to bed and wait for the medicine to kick in. Several hours later and no relief I take a hot shower. ...what relief for my back and and severe butt pain. Go back to bed and then start going to the bathroom every 15 min. New diagnosis flare up of acute diverticulitis. Then I start vomiting.....hot water at first then bile. Tried to make it back to bed....ended up calling my daughter 1:30pm  to take me to the ER. 

This request sent a flurry of phone calls throughout the family. " Maw never goes to the ER" Spend the time in the ER reassuring everyone callin that I was not dying and hoping I would not die....cause I felt like I was.

Sat in the waiting room for several hours..went to the back....examined ...scanned and diagnosed with a kidney stone! Would have never guessed that. 

Incidental finding multiple liver cysts found. Liver was clear on last scan a year ago for diverticulitus. Flurry of family calls sent out by daughter again. My doctor surgeon niece calls this am. After conferring with fellow docs....stated liver cysts are normal, rarely cancerous, and need a 3 month follow up. Who new.

My first thought during scan...Teto, when I read the name Toshiba on the scanner. First thought with scan results...Seaoat.

2Kidney stone....go figure! Empty Re: Kidney stone....go figure! 2/18/2016, 4:56 pm

That sounds terrible... I hope you're feeling better.

3Kidney stone....go figure! Empty Re: Kidney stone....go figure! 2/18/2016, 5:36 pm

Hate to hear about the kidney stone. Take care, Joanie.

4Kidney stone....go figure! Empty Re: Kidney stone....go figure! 2/18/2016, 5:56 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

We'll pray for you, too, Joanie.....

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

5Kidney stone....go figure! Empty Re: Kidney stone....go figure! 2/18/2016, 5:57 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I feel fine....ER called this am to check on
Me....I asked where in the  ureter the stone was located. Radiologist did not indicate where. $7,000+ I want to know if it is ....if in the bottom near the bladder or top closer to kidney. The location depends on the fact....is it in the bladder already or can I expect another wave of pain when it moves again. My doc called me today....see him tomorrow .

6Kidney stone....go figure! Empty Re: Kidney stone....go figure! 2/18/2016, 7:29 pm

knothead

knothead

So Sorry joani, having passed one myself I can relate . . . hope you get back to your self soon so hang in there!

7Kidney stone....go figure! Empty Re: Kidney stone....go figure! 2/18/2016, 8:02 pm

Markle

Markle

Had one decades ago when I was at home for lunch. First I laid down but the pain increased to beyond "10". Felt like I was being stabbed with an ice pick or something.

Worst pain of my life, stupidly...drove myself to the emergency room where I passed out at the emergency entrance. They hauled me inside and the ER nurse hardly looked twice and said, "he has a kidney stone".

The first thing I asked was...where's my car? At the time, I was driving daily my '66 Goat.

They gave me NOVOCAIN! Wonderful stuff and later some sort of sound or some thingy that seemed to break it up so it was easy to pass. Since then I have drunk water by the quart. Never a problem since.

I was told there that the pain is only equaled by the birth of a baby. I decided then if men had babies, the earths population would be half what it is today.

8Kidney stone....go figure! Empty Re: Kidney stone....go figure! 2/18/2016, 8:33 pm

2seaoat

I am so sorry you have dealt with a kidney stone. I am concerned on the liver scans, but this kidney stone may be a blessing in disguise. Drink a great deal of water. I had four terrible attacks, and finally figured out how to relieve the pain when I was having an attack. Turn your water heater settings up and pour a near scalding bath.....it cannot just be hot, it must be scalding......get the deepest tub in your house and submerge yourself like a lobster......the pain from your boiling skin immediately changes the muscle reflex to the kidney stone and at the same time after you adjust to the overwhelming skin pain you melt into the tub and begin to relax.....I stopped two kidney stone attacks with this method after a customer who had repeated stones had tried this method....it works, but the key is do it immediately when the pain begins......do not let it go full throttle or you are screwed......when it start ice picking you....get in the tub.

I am hopeful the scans in three months will not be extraordinary, but the good news is that you have a baseline. I have broken bones, been crushed, had my lung taken out, gallbladder, hernia, broke three toes in a football game after hitting a telephone pole trying to intercept a pass, but there have been few times which pain can be matched on that first kidney stone attack....learn your symptoms and get in that scolding bath. Pain pills do nothing for kidney stones......relax your body and pass the boulder.

9Kidney stone....go figure! Empty Re: Kidney stone....go figure! 2/18/2016, 11:04 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Thank you guys.....

Knot...I feel fine. Went to 2 basketball games this evening.

Markle....having been an ER nurse I could always spot a guy with a kidney stone. My pain threshold hold is very high...I never thought of a stone....a kidney infection was on my list.

Seaoat....the only relief I got at home was 3 scalding hot showers. I'm  little concerned about the liver. I'm sure that is why my doctor is making me come in tomorrow.

10Kidney stone....go figure! Empty Re: Kidney stone....go figure! 2/19/2016, 3:09 am

RealLindaL

Joani, so sorry you've had to deal with all this, but glad you're feeling fine tonight.   I had excruciating pain in my right flank during two episodes in one week a couple of years back.  My doc at the time felt certain it was a kidney stone, even though nothing showed up on any tests, and nothing was ever passed that I saw (or caught). To this day I'm still not sure what was going on, but with a nod to Seaoat will say that a nice hot (not scalding) jacuzzi bath seemed to finally rid me of the pain, and it's never returned, knock on wood.  I do try to drink a lot of water, but then I've done that for years.

Anyway, Joani, please keep us in the loop as to your appointment tomorrow, will you?

11Kidney stone....go figure! Empty Re: Kidney stone....go figure! 2/19/2016, 3:18 am

RealLindaL

Markle wrote:I was told there that the pain is only equaled by the birth of a baby.  I decided then if men had babies, the earths population would be half what it is today.

But they don't have to have babies, and yet, ironically, men are the most vocal (and sometimes downright dangerous) when deciding what women should do about unplanned, unwanted pregnancies.

On that spontaneous note, goodnight all.         __LL

12Kidney stone....go figure! Empty Re: Kidney stone....go figure! 2/19/2016, 7:54 am

cool1

cool1

So sorry your going through that those kidney stones are bad ive had plenty but they make you feel as though your just gonna give up, hang in there hope you get to feeling better

13Kidney stone....go figure! Empty Re: Kidney stone....go figure! 2/19/2016, 2:37 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Saw my primary today....no blood in the urine so I passed the stone.  The CT Scan did not say I had multiple liver cysts like the preliminary....it said I had small densities in the liver that were not previously present. WTF!

14Kidney stone....go figure! Empty Re: Kidney stone....go figure! 2/19/2016, 5:57 pm

RealLindaL

So what does your PCP make of it all? Any further investigation warranted, or absolutely nothing to worry about? Hoping for the latter, of course.

15Kidney stone....go figure! Empty Re: Kidney stone....go figure! 2/19/2016, 7:26 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

RealLindaL wrote:So what does your PCP make of it all?  Any further investigation warranted, or absolutely nothing to worry about?  Hoping for the latter, of course.

I'll have a repeat in 3 months. They will compare that with 2 previous CT scans. I had one  at SHH and GBH in the last 2 years.

16Kidney stone....go figure! Empty Re: Kidney stone....go figure! 2/20/2016, 2:13 am

RealLindaL

Joanimaroni wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:So what does your PCP make of it all?  Any further investigation warranted, or absolutely nothing to worry about?  Hoping for the latter, of course.

I'll have a repeat in 3 months. They will compare that with 2 previous CT scans. I had one  at SHH and GBH in the last 2 years.

Sounds like a plan.  Hope you won't worry, but I know it's easy for me to say.

17Kidney stone....go figure! Empty Re: Kidney stone....go figure! 2/20/2016, 10:58 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

RealLindaL wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

Sounds like a plan.  Hope you won't worry, but I know it's easy for me to say.

Thank you RL. No time to worry, 4 basketball games today and then baseball/softball starts.

18Kidney stone....go figure! Empty Re: Kidney stone....go figure! 2/20/2016, 11:01 am

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

RealLindaL wrote:
Markle wrote:I was told there that the pain is only equaled by the birth of a baby.  I decided then if men had babies, the earths population would be half what it is today.

But they don't have to have babies, and yet, ironically, men are the most vocal (and sometimes downright dangerous) when deciding what women should do about unplanned, unwanted pregnancies.

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

19Kidney stone....go figure! Empty Re: Kidney stone....go figure! 2/22/2016, 2:03 am

RealLindaL

Floridatexan wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

Meant to thank you for the cheers, Florida.   Glad to know you agree.  Too many men are insufferably pompous in telling us what to do with our bodies-- and, as indicated, sometimes criminally so.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum