Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Viewpoint: Beach tourism is expensive

+2
RealLindaL
ZVUGKTUBM
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

knothead

knothead

Perhaps as a fitting footnote to the commentary would be to acknowledge the 'tipping' point on development on PB . . . . . . the passage of the Stafford Act in 1979 emanating from a recommendation from the Republican Governor's Conference and signed into law by President Jimmy Carter. Prior to the passage of the Stafford Act which evolved into modern day FEMA, investment on barrier islands was risk averse but after passage more substantive development followed for good or bad . . . . . . I have lived and loved on PB since 1972 .

RealLindaL

knothead wrote:I have lived and loved on PB since 1972 .

Knot, why did I think you had moved to Gulf Breeze?  Maybe I have you confused with someone else.

knothead

knothead

RealLindaL wrote:

Knot, why did I think you had moved to Gulf Breeze?  Maybe I have you confused with someone else.

Yes you must have me confused. I truly enjoy your posts because your knowledge becomes obvious . . . . . .

PS: We know each other I am sure. Very Happy

RealLindaL

knothead wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:

Yes you must have me confused.  I truly enjoy your posts because your knowledge becomes obvious . . . . . .

Well, you may be right, but now I'm not so sure at all.  You know my name, but I don't know yours.

Didn't you and I discuss on this forum the implications of the ad valorem tax on land and a property sale you'd made on Ariola a year or two ago or so?  Well, even at that time I really didn't know for certain who you were, though I thought I had it figured out  -- but, again, am not at all certain at this point.  So, any hints available?  ;-)  I mean, hey, your profile doesn't even indicate whether you're male or female.  lol

In any case, thanks sincerely for your kind remark about my posts.   I very much enjoy yours as well, fellow beach dweller.      __LL

RealLindaL

SheWrites wrote:For those of us who grew up with nothing on the beach but a few cinder block houses, the change is real - gradual, explosions of growth after Opal, and continued growth with the Levin's on Pensacola Beach and Portofino.    Thankful for the National  Seashore where one can actually enjoy wide open spaces the way it used to be.

So the talk of "renourishment" is not one with which I'll ever fall in line.  Were it not for the building on the beach "renourishment" would not be an issue.  

But this is an old woe I've laid aside. No beef with anyone.  Changes have been made and there is no turning back.  Like I said, I do the state parks and national seashore areas.  I've not been on Pensacola Beach since I returned to Florida. Too congested for me.    

Believe it or not I do understand where you're coming from, SW.  Virginia Beach was my old stomping/vacation grounds when a young girl, and over the years, even after I'd left that state and only returned occasionally,  I watched that beachfront develop itself right out of the charm it had held for us oldsters for so long.
So when hubby and I moved here in 2000 this place was WAAAAY laid back, even then, compared to Virginia Beach (and, of course, even compared to what it is now), and many if not most days, excepting perhaps perfect weather summer weekends, there were very few people out on the beach down in the east end neighborhoods.   It was truly paradise for me -- maybe not what you had here years back, but for me it was wonderful - and I'm just glad I had the opportunity to know and enjoy that phase of the beach.  
Now we're in an entirely different phase and I think I've adapted OK (just as you have, by your own methods) and, even though I may not love it quite so unreservedly as before, I'm still delighted to be here --a big fan of most aspects of Pensacola Beach -- and only hope I may enjoy many more years here, knock on wood.  
All the best to you as well, SW, and I'm glad you're still able to do your thing at the Gulf Islands National Seashore, thanks to the late J. Earle Bowden's efforts to protect that land for the ages.

RealLindaL

RealLindaL wrote:
knothead wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:

Yes you must have me confused.  I truly enjoy your posts because your knowledge becomes obvious . . . . . .

Well, you may be right, but now I'm not so sure at all.  You know my name, but I don't know yours.

Didn't you and I discuss on this forum the implications of the ad valorem tax on land and a property sale you'd made on Ariola a year or two ago or so?  Well, even at that time I really didn't know for certain who you were, though I thought I had it figured out  -- but, again, am not at all certain at this point.  So, any hints available?  ;-)  I mean, hey, your profile doesn't even indicate whether you're male or female.  lol

In any case, thanks sincerely for your kind remark about my posts.   I very much enjoy yours as well, fellow beach dweller.      __LL

Knot, may I ask if you plan to answer the above post?  It's of course for absolute certain that you don't have to, but I'd just like to know either way so I can stop scanning the list of threads.  No big deal either way!   Smile

knothead

knothead

RealLindaL wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:
knothead wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:

Sent you a PM

Knot, may I ask if you plan to answer the above post?  It's of course for absolute certain that you don't have to, but I'd just like to know either way so I can stop scanning the list of threads.  No big deal either way!   Smile

RealLindaL

Gotcha, Knot.  Thanks for the PM.   And I found a couple of ancient PM's in my Inbox that I never even knew were there.  Apologies to anyone who thinks I snubbed them in the past!  I just never check PM's -- don't ever think about it -- and might've missed this one of yours had the system not sent me an email alert this time.

Oh, and in case anyone is curious -- I still don't know for sure who Knothead is.   lol

2seaoat

Oh, and in case anyone is curious -- I still don't know for sure who Knothead is. lol

He has some incredible back stories about his youth and a job on a real hollywood set, and his railroad days.......it would be fun for the two of you to meet as neighbors because I think both of you are highly intelligent and would enjoy each others conversation, but he may be like me who enjoys the distance of the forum which provides frank discussions and keep it interesting. I find this very similar to the old country store where people stop by in the winter to pick up their mail and sit and enjoy conversation around the pot belly stove and go about their business......it becomes part of a routine, but he would be an interesting person to get to know in person and to think you are neighbors is pretty cool.

RealLindaL

2seaoat wrote:Oh, and in case anyone is curious -- I still don't know for sure who Knothead is.   lol

He has some incredible back stories about his youth and a job on a real hollywood set, and his railroad days.......it would be fun for the two of you to meet as neighbors because I think both of you are highly intelligent and would enjoy each others conversation, but he may be like me who enjoys the distance of the forum which provides  frank discussions and keep it interesting.  I find this very similar to the old country store where people stop by in the winter to pick up their mail and sit and enjoy conversation around the pot belly stove and go about their business......it becomes part of a routine, but he would be an interesting person to get to know in person and to think you are neighbors is pretty cool.

Thanks for your kind words and insights, sea.   It's a big island, yet small in so many ways.  One never knows.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum