Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Nobody on Stage Tonight Will Be President

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://readersupportednews.org/opinion2/277-75/34078-focus-nobody-on-stage-tonight-will-be-president

By Charles Pierce, Esquire
16 December 15

Even if one of them wins, they won't do what the job really requires.

When Abraham Lincoln took actions based on military considerations, he gave himself the proper title, "commander in chief of the Army and Navy of the United States." That title is rarely—more like never—heard today. It is just "commander in chief," or even "commander in chief of the United States." This reflects the increasing militarization of our politics. The citizenry at large is now thought of as under military discipline. In wartime, it is true, people submit to the national leadership more than in peacetime. The executive branch takes actions in secret, unaccountable to the electorate, to hide its moves from the enemy and protect national secrets. Constitutional shortcuts are taken "for the duration." But those impositions are removed when normal life returns. But we have not seen normal life in 66 years. The wartime discipline imposed in 1941 has never been lifted, and "the duration" has become the norm. World War II melded into the cold war, with greater secrecy than ever—more classified information, tougher security clearances. And now the cold war has modulated into the war on terrorism.

—Garry Wills, 2007.

I needed to put that on the record because its basic truth was completely lost in a dark land of fear and amid the waving poison ferns in Wolf Blitzer's amygdala. First of all, none of these people will be my commander in chief. None of these people will have the job of keeping me "safe." The first priority of a president is not keeping the country safe. The first priority of a president—indeed, the only priority of a president—is to preserve, protect and defend not me, but the Constitution of the United States. So sitting there, listening to a bunch of people who never served a day in combat talk about how they're going to turn the Middle East into obsidian glass and how they will keep me safe, it was hard not to fall off my chair. Frankly, I wouldn't hire any of these people to watch my car in a valet parking lot, let alone lead the country into what they never miss a chance to call, "the Third World War." Chris Christie? Ted Cruz? Marco Rubio?

Trump?

You see where I'm going here.

When he was a "federal prosecutor," Chris Christie made more ferocious war on his expense account than he did against the "people who want to kill us." (His big trophy case, the Fort Dix Six, is one of those strange half-entrapment cases.) He also doesn't seem to like the Senate very much. Marco Rubio, continuing his ongoing effort to fill out a grown-up person's suit, postured and promised us (again) a 500-ship Navy to keep us safe from the people who drive their pick-up trucks across the ocean to attack us. He also puffed himself up and declined to talk about classified information on national television. (This assumes, of course, that he even knows any, given the fact that he seems to have developed a severe allergy to something in the  room where the Senate Intelligence Committee meets.) Ben Carson said something very weird about being a neurosurgeon in connection with carpet-bombing Syria. (I'm not kidding.) It's a very good thing that we really are not electing a commander-in-chief for the whole country because none of these guys is up to the job.

There's a serious lightweight problem among even the Republican first-teamers. Trump's proposals are a couple dozen sheets to the wind, but they're just more vulgar expressions of things all of the other candidates are proposing. (Both Cruz and Dr. Ben—The Blade—Carson blamed "political correctness" for killing people.) Most conspicuously, Rubio is glued to his notion of being a geopolitical sage, especially on the subject of raising a Sunni army to fight Daesh on the ground. Blitzer asked him, quite logically, precisely how he was going to do that, since nobody over there seems to be too enthusiastic about the prospect. "Well," Rubio replied, "They're going to have to be worked on."

Gotcha.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/poll-ted-cruz-is-closing-in-on-donald-trump/article/2578274

A new poll shows that Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton would lose a general election contest against Florida Sen. Marco Rubio and Ben Carson, but would beat Donald Trump, who's led Republican polls for months now.

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/poll-ted-cruz-is-closing-in-on-donald-trump/article/2578274

A new poll shows that Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton would lose a general election contest against Florida Sen. Marco Rubio and Ben Carson, but would beat Donald Trump, who's led Republican polls for months now.

You don't honestly believe that anyone but Clinton will be our next president, do you? Care to make another one of your incorrect predictions?

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://www.people-press.org/2015/04/07/a-deep-dive-into-party-affiliation/

Sal

Sal

I missed a lot of the debate because I was helping my kid with his homework.

I'm so bored tonight that I'm watching the rerun.

Why was Kasich absent?

Hahahahahahhahahaha .....

Sal

Sal

Cruz said, "Alinsky".

Drink!!

Sal

Sal

The funny thing is that people though Kasich could get traction because relatively speaking he's nominally reasonable.

You can't get traction with those wheels in a shit field of crazy.

That's the current state of the GOP.

Markle

Markle

boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/poll-ted-cruz-is-closing-in-on-donald-trump/article/2578274

You don't honestly believe that anyone but Clinton will be our next president, do you?  Care to make another one of your incorrect predictions?

When she is indicted, that will most definitely put a crimp in her campaign.

However, as you well know, Democrats with felony records on their resume's have a special attraction to progressives.

Sal

Sal

Markle wrote:

When she is indicted, that will most definitely put a crimp in her campaign.

Santa is polishing up another lump of coal just for you, Ol' Man Markle.

Wait for it ...

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Salinsky wrote:I'm so bored tonight that I'm watching the rerun.[/font]

My wife watched a large portion of the rerun in another room tonight while I surfed the net from my workstation. I was listening and am glad that I didn't miss anything new. I am also glad I didn't spend actual time listening Wednesday night to the GOP contenders playing another game of one-upmanship against each other. That group still has not charted a compass-heading that leads to 1600 Pennsylvania avenue in Washington, DC. They can't even read the map showing the way.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Markle wrote:When she is indicted, that will most definitely put a crimp in her campaign.

Poster Obamasucks must have passed you his notebook before he evacuated from the forum.

If the government is going to start scooping-up corrupt politicians they will also be scooping up some prominent Republicans along the way; some of whom you and Obabasucks are very fond of.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
Markle wrote:When she is indicted, that will most definitely put a crimp in her campaign.

Poster Obamasucks must have passed you his notebook before he evacuated from the forum.

If the government is going to start scooping-up corrupt politicians they will also be scooping up some prominent Republicans along the way; some of whom you and Obabasucks are very fond of.

Scooping up? With the Clinton's, it is in their genes. They wouldn't abide by the law if that was better than the course they choose.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum