Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Did you know, people on the "No Fly" list Can Still Buy a Gun Legally?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

And worse yet, the NRA will fight to the death to make those gun sales possible.

Consider: The No Fly list was created to combat terrorism. People on the list are considered too dangerous to allow on an airliner. But with America's "Fuck people's lives, it's gun sales that are important!" laws, a dangerous person -- declared so by a Federal Government List -- can still buy an AK47 or it's poorer designed American counterthreat, a derivitive of the original M15, burst into the Hardee's where you're stuffing greasy fries, shout Allahu Akbar, and punch your ticket.

Yeah, I know that some of the people on the no fly list were mistakenly put there -- but there is an appeal process they can use.

As far as I'm concerned, all semi-automatic weapons with a clip that holds more than 10 rounds should be banned and taken BY FORCE. Screw your right to defend yourself. You can defend yourself perfectly well with a pump 12-gage. If five double OO rounds won't clear your front porch, you'd be an absolute menace with your assault rifle and 30-round clips!

Reality.

An enormous central govt is corrupt and incompetent or worse. You don't get one without the other... your choice.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

PkrBum wrote:An enormous central govt is corrupt and incompetent or worse. You don't get one without the other... your choice.

Am confused by your response. Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me about banning such firearms?

Wordslinger wrote:
PkrBum wrote:An enormous central govt is corrupt and incompetent or worse. You don't get one without the other... your choice.

Am confused by your response. Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me about banning such firearms?

I'm simply saying that the govt will not be able to stop criminal and crazy no matter how much power you cede to govt.

At best it'll do an incompetent job of it that will certainly affect the law abiding much more than the bad guys. Fact.

This is just another subjective belief of yours that has no basis in reality... another excuse that grows govt scope.

Progressive controls love to use underlying noble causes to erode the rights of we the people that rarely do as intended.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Nobody should be stripped of their 2nd Amendment rights without an adjudication by the judiciary.  

You know .... due process, right to counsel, right to face one's accusers, appeal rights, etc  ..... all that Constitutional jazz liberals and conservatives seem to think is optional depending on whose sacred cow is to be slaughtered or whose pigs are to be fed.

Link: Illinois medical pot users erroneously told to give up guns

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

cheers cheers cheers
EmeraldGhost wrote:Nobody should be stripped of their 2nd Amendment rights without an adjudication by the judiciary.  

You know .... due process, right to counsel, right to face one's accusers, appeal rights, etc  ..... all that Constitutional jazz liberals and conservatives seem to think is optional depending on whose sacred cow is to be slaughtered or whose pigs are to be fed.

Link:   Illinois medical pot users erroneously told to give up guns
cheers cheers cheers

TSA Chief Out After Agents Fail 95 Percent of Airport Breach Tests

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/investigation-breaches-us-airports-allowed-weapons-through-n367851

The acting head of the Transportation Security Administration was reassigned Monday after an internal investigation by the Department of Homeland Security found security failures at dozens of the nation's busiest airports. The breaches allowed undercover investigators to smuggle weapons, fake explosives and other contraband through numerous checkpoints.

In one case, an alarm sounded, but even during a pat-down, the screening officer failed to detect a fake plastic explosive taped to an undercover agent's back. In all, so-called "Red Teams" of Homeland Security agents posing as passengers were able get weapons past TSA agents in 67 out of 70 tests — a 95 percent failure rate, according to agency officials.

2seaoat

Glass half full.......Glass half empty. The reality is that air travel is pretty damn safe, and this was not accomplished by accident. Beyond the security, maintenance standards, pilot standards, and air traffic control are far from incompetent.....quite the contrary. Good government does not happen by accident. It takes hard work.

2seaoat wrote:Good government does not happen by accident. It takes hard work.

At about a 5% success rate... lol. This same govt is what will be there to protect us when the law abiding comply w laws.

No thanks. I don't carry a gun... never have. But I decided to... it's none of your damn business or the govts.

The reason I don't support any further controls is because they will never cease... if you were honest you'd admit it.

This is the same rational that the pro abortion ghouls use to resist any restriction on killing babies. Admit it.

Markle

Markle

Wordslinger wrote:And worse yet, the NRA will fight to the death to make those gun sales possible.  

Consider:  The No Fly list was created to combat terrorism.  People on the list are considered too dangerous to allow on an airliner.  But with America's "Fuck people's lives, it's gun sales that are important!" laws, a dangerous person -- declared so by a Federal Government List -- can still buy an AK47 or it's poorer designed American counterthreat, a derivitive of the original M15, burst into the Hardee's where you're stuffing greasy fries, shout Allahu Akbar, and punch your ticket.

Yeah, I know that some of the people on the no fly list were mistakenly put there -- but there is an appeal process they can use.

As far as I'm concerned, all semi-automatic weapons with a clip that holds more than 10 rounds should be banned and taken BY FORCE.  Screw your right to defend yourself.  You can defend yourself perfectly well with a pump 12-gage.  If five double OO rounds won't clear your front porch, you'd be an absolute menace with your assault rifle and 30-round clips!

Reality.

How many Radical Islamic Terrorist attacks would have been prevented here or in Paris if anyone on a no-fly list was prevented from buying a gun. Please be specific.

What you're talking about is a MAGAZINE not a clip. California already has a law against MAGAZINE'S that hold more than 10 rounds unless you owned them prior to the law going into effect.

Did you know, people on the "No Fly" list Can Still Buy a Gun Legally? GeorgeWashingtonGunQuote_zps2c899542

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Markle wrote:
Wordslinger wrote:And worse yet, the NRA will fight to the death to make those gun sales possible.  

Consider:  The No Fly list was created to combat terrorism.  People on the list are considered too dangerous to allow on an airliner.  But with America's "Fuck people's lives, it's gun sales that are important!" laws, a dangerous person -- declared so by a Federal Government List -- can still buy an AK47 or it's poorer designed American counterthreat, a derivitive of the original M15, burst into the Hardee's where you're stuffing greasy fries, shout Allahu Akbar, and punch your ticket.

As far as I'm concerned, all semi-automatic weapons with a clip that holds more than 10 rounds should be banned and taken BY FORCE.  Screw your right to defend yourself.  You can defend yourself perfectly well with a pump 12-gage.  If five double OO rounds won't clear your front porch, you'd be an absolute menace with your assault rifle and 30-round clips!

Reality.

How many Radical Islamic Terrorist attacks would have been prevented here or in Paris if anyone on a no-fly list was prevented from buying a gun.  Please be specific.

What you're talking about is a MAGAZINE not a clip.  California already has a law against MAGAZINE'S that hold more than 10 rounds unless you owned them prior to the law going into effect.

Did you know, people on the "No Fly" list Can Still Buy a Gun Legally? GeorgeWashingtonGunQuote_zps2c899542

I have to agree with you -- a "clip" is indeed a magazine. And a "joint" is a bar or a Marijuana cigarette. A Cobra is a snake ... or a helicopter gunship. A "gay" caballero is a happy Mexican cowboy, or one from Brokeback Mountain.

And ole George Washington's primary reason for pushing the Revolutionary war was because King George had shut down the Ohio Company, the largest land-jobbing speculating corporation in the British colonies of America, because the King wouldn't let any of his subjects continue to "acquire" and sell raw Indian lands after October 1763.

This was the result of the British adding up their military expenses from the French and Indian War, and Pontiac and Guyasuta's revolt.

Washington was the Ohio Company's principal share holder, and his family was the richest in Virginia.

Reality.

Markle

Markle

Wordslinger wrote:
Markle wrote:

Reality.

How many Radical Islamic Terrorist attacks would have been prevented here or in Paris if anyone on a no-fly list was prevented from buying a gun.  Please be specific.

What you're talking about is a MAGAZINE not a clip.  California already has a law against MAGAZINE'S that hold more than 10 rounds unless you owned them prior to the law going into effect.

I have to agree with you --  a "clip" is indeed a magazine. And a "joint" is a bar or a Marijuana cigarette.  A Cobra is a snake ... or a helicopter gunship.  A "gay" caballero is a happy Mexican cowboy, or one from Brokeback Mountain.    

And ole George Washington's primary reason for pushing the Revolutionary war was because King George had shut down the Ohio Company, the largest land-jobbing speculating corporation in the British colonies of America, because the King wouldn't let any of his subjects continue to "acquire" and sell raw Indian lands after October 1763.  

This was the result of the British adding up their military expenses from the French and Indian War, and Pontiac and Guyasuta's revolt.

Washington was the Ohio Company's principal share holder, and his family was the richest in Virginia.

Reality.  

It is not surprising to me that it is so difficult for you to learn; to comprehend what you read.  

Once again, for you to study, a clip is NOT the same thing as a magazine.  

In essence, clips feed magazines. Magazines feed firearms.

Do you require a more specific explanation? Perhaps I could type more slowly?

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Markle wrote:
Wordslinger wrote:
Markle wrote:

Reality.

I have to agree with you --  a "clip" is indeed a magazine. And a "joint" is a bar or a Marijuana cigarette.  A Cobra is a snake ... or a helicopter gunship.  A "gay" caballero is a happy Mexican cowboy, or one from Brokeback Mountain.    

Reality.  

It is not surprising to me that it is so difficult for you to learn; to comprehend what you read.  

Do you require a more specific explanation?  Perhaps I could type more slowly?

In the jargon of reality, people commonly refer to automobiles as cars.  Abodes as houses, digs, or Joe's "place."  And both in the military and at the range, you will frequently hear shooters refer to magazines as "clips."  But, then again, the reality of real life is beyond your ken, your ability to discern, your perceptional capabilities, or your inability to understand common dialogue.  Yes, please type more slowly ... give us all a break.

Last edited by Wordslinger on 12/6/2015, 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Once again, for the rest of my fellow forum members, Why is it a person listed on the NO FLY list is allowed to purchase an AK47, or several AK47's??

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Wordslinger wrote:O[right]nce again, for the rest of my fellow forum members, Why is it a person listed on the NO FLY list is allowed to purchase an AK47, or several AK47's??

Well, not entirely true:

They can't if they're not a US Citizen;

The can't if they are a convicted felon;

They can't if they've been convicted of any domestic violence offense including misdemeanors ;

They can't if they are a fugitive from justice;

They can't if they've been adjudged by a court to be mentally incompetent or a danger to the public;

They can't if they have a judicial restraining order & the court has ordered as part of that they not possess a firearm.

If the government wants to restrict the 2nd Amendment rights of any Citizen they have administratively placed on some kind of administrative "watch" list for whatever reason .... the government needs to apply to a court for an order restricting that Citizen's 2nd Amendment right; attempt proper service of notice of the hearing to the Citizen; provide the Citizen opportunity to confront their accuser in court with counsel if they so choose; and allow for judicial appeal rights.  The government has a virtual army of lawyers, many of them spending half their day surfing the net at their desks ... this would not be a problem for the government if they wanted to go that route.  A lot of persons on the no-fly list are not US Citizens anyway.

Or ......  the government could just put them in the NICS system so a "3-day delay" trips in the sytsem when they have their background checked (NICS already has this capability built-in) ... then dispatch a couple of JTTF Agents to meet them at the counter when they come to pickup their gun and they can interview/inquire further into their purpose/activities.  If someone on the no-fly list who was not otherwise prohibited attempted to purchase a firearm the government would have an opportunity to meet with that person, know their whereabouts, gather intelligence on them, and interview them. That'd pretty much solve the problem.  I doubt there would then be any would-be terrorists attempting to purchase a firearm legally if the knew an ATF, FBI, or ICE Agent would be waiting at the store when they came to pick it up, confronting them, and probably placing them under surveillance if the followed through with the purchase.  (actually, I think the Federal government already quietly does this ... it's just not publicized)

Point being ... we don't have to repeal the 2nd Amendment; restrict anybody's Constitutional rights; or create a huge administrative hassle for law-abiding US Citizens to solve this no-fly list "problem" (that doesn't really exist anyway.)

Here's the danger of using the no-fly list to automatically restrict a Citizen's 2nd Amendment rights.

Today it's an administratively created no-fly list for purposes of suspected terrorist ties  .... tomorrow it may be an administrative list for some other purpose?   Maybe they don't like what you post on the internet for some reason?   Maybe certain ideas freely expressed nowadays will someday be considered "subversive" by some future administration?   Maybe a government agent took your name down at a Pro-life rally ... or a Black Lives Matter protest.  

As to using such administratively created lists to blanket suspend a Citizen's  2nd Amendment rights? ... once we head down that road they could use such lists to restrict one's Free Speech or 4th Amendment rights?   Maybe they could use it to blanket deny Habeas Corpus for any person on the list?   There's a lot of things they could do once such a precedent were set of administratively suspending Constitutionally protected rights ... it's a slippery slope.

Checks and balances.

Wordslinger wrote:Once again, for the rest of my fellow forum members, Why is it a person listed on the NO FLY list is allowed to purchase an AK47, or several AK47's??

https://www.aclu.org/blog/speak-freely/until-no-fly-list-fixed-it-shouldnt-be-used-restrict-peoples-freedoms

The No Fly List is in the news this week, just in time for the ACLU’s argument in federal court on Wednesday in its five-year-long challenge to the list’s redress process.

Last night, in response to last week’s tragic attack in San Bernardino, California, President Obama urged Congress to ensure that people on the No Fly List be prohibited from purchasing guns. Last week, Republicans in Congress defeated a proposal that would have done just that. "I think it’s very important to remember people have due process rights in this country, and we can’t have some government official just arbitrarily put them on a list," Speaker Paul Ryan said.

There is no constitutional bar to reasonable regulation of guns, and the No Fly List could serve as one tool for it, but only with major reform. As we will argue to a federal district court in Oregon this Wednesday, the standards for inclusion on the No Fly List are unconstitutionally vague, and innocent people are blacklisted without a fair process to correct government error. Our lawsuit seeks a meaningful opportunity for our clients to challenge their placement on the No Fly List because it is so error-prone and the consequences for their lives have been devastating.

Over the years since we filed our suit — and in response to it — the government has made some reforms, but they are not enough.

We filed the suit in June 2010 on behalf of 10 U.S. citizens and permanent residents who the government banned from flying to or from the U.S. or over American airspace. (Three more people later joined the suit.) Our clients, among them four U.S. military veterans, were never told why they were on the list or given a reasonable opportunity to get off it. Some were stranded abroad, unable to come home. As one response to our lawsuit, the government began to allow Americans to fly home on a “one-time waiver,” with stringent security precautions.

Separately, the government made two basic arguments in its defense of the No Fly List, both of which the court rejected. First, it argued that U.S. persons had no constitutionally protected right to fly. In August 2013, the court disagreed, holding that constitutional rights are at stake when the government stigmatizes Americans as suspected terrorists and bans them from international travel.

Second, the government asserted that national security concerns meant the government couldn’t confirm or deny whether people were on the No Fly List, and it couldn’t give them reasons or a hearing before a neutral decision-maker. This is absurd as a practical matter and violates due process as a constitutional matter. Practically speaking, people know they are on the No Fly List when they are banned from flying and surrounded — and stigmatized — by security officials publicly at airports. Some of our clients were told they would be taken off the list if they agreed to become government informants. Again, the court agreed with us and held that the government’s refusal to provide any notice or a hearing violates the Constitution. As a result, the government announced in April that it would tell U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents whether they are on the No Fly List, and possibly offer reasons.

Unfortunately, the government’s new redress process still falls far short of constitutional requirements. In our case, it refuses to provide meaningful notice of the reasons our clients are blacklisted, the basis for those reasons, and a hearing before a neutral decision-maker. Much as before, our clients are left to guess at the government’s case and can’t clear their names. That’s unconstitutional.

There’s another important aspect to the government’s case at this stage. The government has emphasized that it is making predictive judgments that people like our clients — who have never been charged let alone convicted of a crime — might nevertheless pose a threat. That’s a perilous thing for it to do. As we’ve told the court based on evidence from experts, these kinds of predictions guarantee a high risk of error. If the government is going to predict that Americans pose a threat and blacklist them, that’s even more reason for the fundamental safeguards we seek.

We disagree with Speaker Ryan about many things. But he’s right that people in this country have due process rights. We want to see them respected.

Markle

Markle

Wordslinger wrote:
Markle wrote:
Wordslinger wrote:
Markle wrote:

Reality.

Reality.  

Do you require a more specific explanation?  Perhaps I could type more slowly?

In the jargon of reality, people commonly refer to automobiles as cars.  Abodes as houses, digs, or Joe's "place."  And both in the military and at the range, you will frequently hear shooters refer to magazines as "clips."  But, then again, the reality of real life is beyond your ken, your ability to discern, your perceptional capabilities, or your inability to understand common dialogue.  Yes, please type more slowly ... give us all a break.

So your viewpoint is that if a lot of people are ignorant about something, that makes it okay? YOU, of all people who claim to be a writer. That's the best you have for making erroneous statements?

Markle

Markle

Wordslinger wrote:Once again, for the rest of my fellow forum members, Why is it a person listed on the NO FLY list is allowed to purchase an AK47, or several AK47's??

I agree with PkrBum and it pains me greatly to agree with the ACLU. My only consolation is that it must have pained the ACLU even more-so to take a case defending gun rights.

If the list was accurate, AND there was a set procedure to challenge your name being on the list at all.  Many people have erroneously appeared on the list and it took years to get their name removed.

What terrorist acts would have been prevented if none of these people could buy  a weapon?

As near as I can tell, and information is surprisingly difficult to confirm, there are about 10,000 people on the no fly list.

Strange that our always well informed Socialist Communist Wordslinger had nothing to say about the terrorist watch list which has, supposedly, a million names.

Wordslinger, It is true, I may not NEED a cartridge with 30 rounds or a wrongly named assault rifle, which is nothing more than a semi-automatic rifle that looks dangerous.

The wrong thinking of those like Wordslinger is that it is NOT called the BILL OF NEEDS.  It is the bill of RIGHTS.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Markle wrote:

I agree with PkrBum and it pains me greatly to agree with the ACLU.  My only consolation is that it must have pained the ACLU even more-so to take a case defending gun rights.

If the list was accurate, AND there was a set procedure to challenge your name being on the list at all.  Many people have erroneously appeared on the list and it took years to get their name removed.

What terrorist acts would have been prevented if none of these people could buy  a weapon?

As near as I can tell, and information is surprisingly difficult to confirm, there are about 10,000 people on the no fly list.

Strange that our always well informed Socialist Communist Wordslinger had nothing to say about the terrorist watch list which has, supposedly, a million names.

Wordslinger, It is true, I may not NEED a cartridge with 30 rounds or a wrongly named assault rifle, which is nothing more than a semi-automatic rifle that looks dangerous.

The wrong thinking of those like Wordslinger is that it is NOT called the BILL OF NEEDS.  It is the bill of RIGHTS.

I welcome the opportunity to instruct you properly on firearms nomenclature: Assault rifles were named assault rifles because they were designed for military use and have large capacity magazines. They also utilize smaller, light weight ammo than the former military long rifles, so that a soldier can easily pack more ammo. In addition, a major difference between an assault rifle and a standard semi-automatic rifle, is that the assault rifle has the capability of firing one, two or three, or a full magazine on full-automatic, depending where the shooter sets the selector lever, and how he pulls the trigger. That wasn't too difficult for you was it? You're welcome Curmudgeon. And what, pray tell , is a "cartridge" with 30 rounds?  enlighten us . . . LOL

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

It appears the only argument you folk who won't go for a ban on no-fly listed people being allowed to purchase a firearm, is that a few people on the list, were listed incorrectly.

So, for the rights of say 5% of the thousands on the list, we should put up with real terrorists being allowed to buy guns. Lots of guns. That sure makes sense ... not.

Wordslinger wrote:It appears the only argument you folk who won't go for a ban on no-fly listed people being allowed to purchase a firearm, is that a few people on the list, were listed incorrectly.

So, for the rights of say 5% of the thousands on the list, we should put up with real terrorists being allowed to buy guns. Lots of guns. That sure makes sense ... not.

There's already a system in place... we call it "due process". It's not just some arbitrary list created by govt officials.

Ya frickin nazi.

lol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum