Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Congress risks "manufacturing crisis" by prevaricating over raising the debt ceiling

+5
othershoe1030
Floridatexan
Sal
Hospital Bob
boards of FL
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

boards of FL

boards of FL

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/lew-raise-debt-ceiling-avoid-110141735.html

Congress risks "manufacturing crisis" by prevaricating over raising the debt ceiling, Treasury Secretary Jack Lew said in an opinion piece Monday in USA Today.

Unless the cap is raised beyond the current limit of $18.1 trillion, the Treasury is seen running out of money to pay bills in full and on time by Tuesday next week. It would then be left with only incoming taxes and fees to cover expenses, which will be insufficient.

"We are on track for further economic growth — yet with eight days, as of Monday, until Treasury runs out of borrowing authority on November 3, some in Congress are endangering this progress by once again manufacturing a crisis for our country. By waiting to the last minute to act on the debt limit, Congress could cause a terrible accident," Lew wrote in USA Today.

He added that Congress had pushed the U.S. "to the brink of potential economic catastrophe" in 2011 and 2013 by waiting until the last moment to raise the then-debt ceiling.

Since 1960, Congress has acted 78 times to raise the debt cap or revise the definition of the debt limit — 49 times under Republican presidents and 29 times under Democratic presidents, according to the Treasury's website.

Last week, Lew told CNBC that Congress risked an accident "that could be terrible" by waiting until the last minute to raise the cap.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I don't know what those right-wing teabagging reactionaries are caterwalling about.
Paul Krugman is a nobel prize winning economist and he says we need more debt,  not less.   I wish those know-nothings would listen to him.

Sal

Sal

How many times do we have to go through this exercise before people comprehend that raising the debt ceiling does not authorize more government spending?

Raising the debt ceiling simply allows the United States to pay its bills on time for money already spent.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Absolutely.  When will these reactionaries and teabaggers get it through their thick skulls that raising the debt ceiling has nothing to do with debt.
I am sick and tired of these numbskulls bitching about debt.  Debt is a good thing.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Bob wrote:I don't know what those right-wing teabagging reactionaries are caterwalling about.
Paul Krugman is a nobel prize winning economist and he says we need more debt,  not less.   I wish those know-nothings would listen to him.

The question over raising the debt limit is a question over whether or not to pay bills that congress has already authorized. It's not as if anyone is proposing the idea that we simply create more debt. They're simply proposing that we actually pay the bills that we have already incurred.

Budget/debt issues should be addressed through conversations about spending and tax rates, not default.

Common sense Policy101 for beginners.

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:Absolutely.  When will these reactionaries and teabaggers get it through their thick skulls that raising the debt ceiling has nothing to do with debt.
I am sick and tired of these numbskulls bitching about debt.  Debt is a good thing.

You're still asking the wrong question.

The correct question is, when will these reactionaries and teabaggers quit authorizing all this spending, and then holding the global economy hostage by threatening not to pay its bills, unless they receive unrelated policy concessions?

And, what sorta numbskulls would reward them for this sorta behavior?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I am sick and tired of these republicans and conservatives wanting to spend all this money.
If only they would be more like the liberals and democrats.  Those are the true fiscal conservatives.
Bernie Sanders is more fiscally conservative than anybody. If we elect him he'll cut out all this spending and balance the budget.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

This is a long article, Bob, but you need to read it.

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/33337-swimming-with-the-debt-sharks

boards of FL

boards of FL

Bob wrote:I am sick and tired of these republicans and conservatives wanting to spend all this money.
If only they would be more like the liberals and democrats.  Those are the true fiscal conservatives.
Bernie Sanders is more fiscally conservative than anybody. If we elect him he'll cut out all this spending and balance the budget.

Let's try a different approach.

Bob, should the US pay its bills or default? Note that I'm not asking you whether or not we should incur new bills. I'm asking you whether or not we should pay the bills that we have already incurred. What do you think?

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

boards of FL wrote:
Bob wrote:I am sick and tired of these republicans and conservatives wanting to spend all this money.

Let's try a different approach.  

Bob, should the US pay its bills or default?  Note that I'm not asking you whether or not we should incur new bills.  I'm asking you whether or not we should pay the bills that we have already incurred.  What do you think?

This entire political soap opera is so depressing on so many  levels. First, the name of the action gives a totally wrong impression of what is going on. If this were called the "the US is not a deadbeat nation" or "the fund for paying our bills" maybe fewer people would have a problem with it.

Also, it is infuriating to see the newly renamed "Freedom Caucus" members get on camera with a straight face and say things that make people think this action means more spending. They don't have the guts to tell the people that the spending has already been done, that changes need to be made at the allocation point and not at the "here comes the credit card bill, shall we pay it" point.

I hate that 1) the above mentioned "Freedom Caucus" people think so little of their constituents that they feel free to lie to them like this; or 2) they are so ill informed (surely this isn't possible!) that they actually believe what they are saying?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

WIFE:   "Did you see this credit card statement,  honey?  My god,  you spent way above our means again last month.  You bought the ferrari and you ate at Jacksons every day for lunch and you bought a bunch more guns and ammo.  And now the balance is $18 million.  Why you stupid son of a bitch,   just to pay the interest on this is gonna take so much of our monthly income we'll be lucky if we have anything left over to pay for the necessary shit!!"

HUSBAND:   "Oh hell,  bitch,  you're just a conservative republican teabagger,  you don't have a degree in economics like Paul Krugman and me so what the fuck do you know.  We HAVE to pay this bill because this is money already spent.  So pipe down and get back in the kitchen and rattle those pots and pans and shut the fuck up".

by Salinsky Today at 3:54 pm
Bob wrote:

Absolutely. When will these reactionaries and teabaggers get it through their thick skulls that raising the debt ceiling has nothing to do with debt.
I am sick and tired of these numbskulls bitching about debt. Debt is a good thing.

You're still asking the wrong question.

The correct question is, when will these reactionaries and teabaggers quit authorizing all this spending, and then holding the global economy hostage by threatening not to pay its bills, unless they receive unrelated policy concessions?

And, what sorta numbskulls would reward them for this sorta behavior?
----
Congress never authorized the spending because Obama threatens to close down government if he doesn't get his pork projects funded

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

WIFE:  "But honey,  have you forgotten,  you no longer have that union job in the factory paying $35/hour.  Now you're stocking shelves at Walmart making a lot less.  You can't keep spending at the same level we used to."

HUSBAND:  "Aw shut up,  bitch.  All we have to do is get Bernie Sanders or Hillary in as the President and they'll make the rich people pay for it all and we won't have any deficit any longer and we can balance the budget.  They'll even pay for you to get a college degree in economics so you'll understand how good debt is".

boards of FL

boards of FL

You still don't seem to understand the underlying subject, Bob.

Should the US pay its bills or default?  Which would be more sound fiscal advice?  What should we do?  Pay or default?

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Yeah Bob shut up and pay your tribute to your masters...

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

boards of FL wrote:You still don't seem to understand the underlying subject, Bob.

Should the US pay its bills or default?  Which would be more sound fiscal advice?  What should we do?  Pay or default?

We should pay the bill and then do nothing else to change anything about our fiscal situation.  Or if we do make a change,  we need to elect Bernie Sanders and elect democrats to congress because they are the fiscal conservatives.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Bob wrote:
boards of FL wrote:You still don't seem to understand the underlying subject, Bob.

We should pay the bill and then do nothing else to change anything about our fiscal situation.  Or if we do make a change,  we need to elect Bernie Sanders and elect democrats to congress because they are the fiscal conservatives.

Why not simply pay our bills - as we always have - and then continue working to reduce the deficit - as we have for the last six years?

Rather than frame everything in incredibly extreme ways that do not reflect reality or advance the discussion in any way, why not take a more common sense approach?

Pay our bills and continue working to reduce the deficit. Here again, Intro to Policy101 for beginners.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

boards of FL wrote:
Bob wrote:

Why not simply pay our bills - as we always have - and then continue working to reduce the deficit - as we have for the last six years?  

Rather than frame everything in incredibly extreme ways that do not reflect reality or advance the discussion in any way, why not take a more common sense approach?  

Pay our bills and continue working to reduce the deficit.  Here again, Intro to Policy101 for beginners.

That's a very sound approach.  It got us to $18 trillion in debt and the debt is still growing.

WIFE: 
"Honey,  even though our credit card statement is now at $18 million,  we still spent more than we took in again last month so the balance is even bigger".
Why don't we try it Bob's way for a change and spend only the amount we're taking in?"

HUSBAND: 
"You stupid bitch,  you're always talking about extremes that do not reflect reality".  Listen to Hillary,  Bernie and Paul Krugman.  They're very smart people and you're just a dumb blonde."

boards of FL

boards of FL

Bob wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
Bob wrote:

Pay our bills and continue working to reduce the deficit.  Here again, Intro to Policy101 for beginners.

That's a very sound approach.  It got us to $18 trillion in debt and the debt is still growing.

WIFE: 
"Honey,  even though our credit card statement is now at $18 million,  we still spent more than we took in again last month so the balance is even bigger".
Why don't we try it Bob's way for a change and spend only the amount we're taking in?"

HUSBAND: 
"You stupid bitch,  you're always talking about extremes that do not reflect reality".  Listen to Hillary,  Bernie and Paul Krugman.  They're very smart people and you're just a dumb blonde."

That approach is not what got us to $18 trillion in debt. Good god, Bob. Do you watch the news? We had a perennial budget surplus. Had we stayed the course, we likely would not have any where near $18 trillion in debt today. Unfortunately, we did not stay the course. Three tax cuts, two wars/occupations, and a Great Recession later, we now have $18 trillion in debt.

That said, we have seen the budget deficit fall for the last six years so we are currently back on track. Next year's election will determine if we stay the course or change again.

I hope voters have learned from history.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

boards of FL wrote:
That approach is not what got us to $18 trillion in debt.  Good god, Bob.  Do you watch the news?  We had a perennial budget surplus.

Well what actually happened after that has been in the news off and on ever since. 
As our country transitioned from a manufacturing economy to a service economy,  we experienced a loss in wages and personal wealth.  And the diminished wages led to diminished government revenues.  And all the while we've been attempting to maintain government spending with less government revenues.  So we resorted to increased borrowing.

Yes,  the Bush tax cuts did not revive our economy (and government revenues) as was claimed.  And the useless wars helped to exacerbate what was already happening. 
But the growth in entitlements at a time of diminished revenues also contributed to it.

Your take on this is just like markle's take on what caused the real estate/financial collapse.  He puts it all on Barney Frank.  When in reality,  it's not that simple.  Frank's policies did contribute to it but so did the greed of many in the private sector.  And so did the greed of many ordinary citizens.

You and markle both have your chosen boogeymen who you always rely on to provide you the explanation for everything and anything.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Bob wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
That approach is not what got us to $18 trillion in debt.  Good god, Bob.  Do you watch the news?  We had a perennial budget surplus.

Well what actually happened after that has been in the news off and on ever since. 
As our country transitioned from a manufacturing economy to a service economy,  we experienced a loss in wages and personal wealth.  And the diminished wages led to diminished government revenues.  And all the while we've been attempting to maintain government spending with less government revenues.  So we resorted to increased borrowing.

Yes,  the Bush tax cuts did not revive our economy (and government revenues) as was claimed.  And the useless wars helped to exacerbate what was already happening. 
But the growth in entitlements at a time of diminished revenues also contributed to it.

Your take on this is just like markle's take on what caused the real estate/financial collapse.  He puts it all on Barney Frank.  When in reality,  it's not that simple.  Frank's policies did contribute to it but so did the greed of many in the private sector.  And so did the greed of many ordinary citizens.

You and markle both have your chosen boogeymen who you always rely on to provide you the explanation for everything and anything.

Our economy has been transitioning away from manufacturing for at least 70 years, so your theory there is hilarious.  This isn't rocket science, Bob.  We used to have higher tax rates, less military engagement, and perennial surplus.   Then we cut taxes three times, increased military engagement, and watched that perennial surplus turn into ballooning deficits - which were further exacerbated by the Great Recession.

Your attempt to paint our woes as a symptom of a transition from a manufacturing economy to a service economy is about a laughable (and useful) as your extreme framing of the discussion of debt in this thread.  You don't actually know what you're talking about, and yet you're confidently framing the discussion of debt in the most extreme, useless ways and saying "That is exactly how each side is arguing this".   Well, no.  It isn't.  

This chart indicates manufacturing jobs as a percentage of the entire workforce.  Notice how they have been on the decline for the last 70 years.

Congress risks "manufacturing crisis" by prevaricating over raising the debt ceiling Manufacturing-employment-as-percent-of-employment

Being it the case that these jobs have been on the decline - steadily - for 70 years, we can't really say that the relatively recent increase in debt is due to that decline, can we?  

If only there were some sort of painfully obvious factors that influence the budget which ultimately influence debt.  Alas, If only we knew what elements of the federal budget influence whether or not we have a deficit or surplus, perhaps we could figure this out.  Gosh, if only there were a word for the stream of revenue that comes into the government and the stream of spending that goes out, perhaps we could look at that stuff and then really get to the bottom of this.   And if only we had a past to look to in order to see how all of these other things influence debt, perhaps we could use that to arrive at sound policy by continuing things that worked and discontinuing things that did not work, perhaps we could pull ourselves out of this mess.

Oh well, I guess we don't have any of that so I suppose the discussion will have to be framed as an argument between an arguing married couple.  That how the smart people would figure all of this stuff out, right, Bob?

I mean, simply saying "We should pay our bills" is nothing but out-to-lunch, loony bullshit in the same vein as Markle, right, Bob? The smart people who are fortunate enough to have a supreme vantage point from atop the fence are doing the real work in this area by simulating extreme discussion between man and wife. Good job, Bob.

Your rocking chair is over there next to Markle's.

Congress risks "manufacturing crisis" by prevaricating over raising the debt ceiling Bonbon-dbfbe36b2ab7e3e46f8bdbc19fcc3ada

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

boards of FL wrote:
Being it the case that these jobs have been on the decline - steadily - for 70 years, we can't really say that the relatively recent increase in debt is due to that decline, can we? 

I mean, simply saying "We should pay our bills" is nothing but out-to-lunch, loony bullshit in the same vein as Markle, right, Bob? 

Well what can I say.  With this you've destroyed my argument.

We started losing all our manufacturing jobs in 1945 so that has no relevance to what happened.

And the idea that we should pay our bills is loony bullshit.

You've convinced me.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

If my husband talked to me like that...well, you can just use your imagination.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Bob wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

I mean, simply saying "We should pay our bills" is nothing but out-to-lunch, loony bullshit in the same vein as Markle, right, Bob? 

Well what can I say.  With this you've destroyed my argument.

We started losing all our manufacturing jobs in 1945 so that has no relevance to what happened.

And the idea that we should pay our bills is loony bullshit.

You've convinced me.

Bob, if the national debt is a function of manufacturing jobs - as you just tried to say that it is - shouldn't we see a correlation between the national debt and manufacturing jobs?

Here is national debt from 1940 to present:

Congress risks "manufacturing crisis" by prevaricating over raising the debt ceiling Historyofnationaldebt

Notice how - in spite of the fact that we were steadily losing manufacturing jobs - the national debt remains relatively low through the 40s, 50s, and 60s.  Then notice how things obviously begin to change in the 70s.   Now, if we are to believe what you just asserted - debt is a function of manufacturing jobs - should we have seen debt increase relative to the decrease in manufacturing jobs throughout the 40s, 50s, and 60s?  Do we see that?  No.  We don't.

Also, since there is an obvious uptick in debt in the 70s, shouldn't we see a corresponding downtick in the rate of manufacturing job loss?  Do we see that?  No.

So can't we confidently assert - as you have - that our debt is the result of manufacturing job loss?  Not likely.  Manufacturing job less is almost perfectly linear whereas debt appears to be exponential.

But here again, if only there things we could look to to truly explain that.  If only our federal budgets consisted of clearly defined streams of revenue and clear outflows, perhaps we could look at those.  Alas.

Anyways, in unrelated news, I just found this neat little picture and I'm trying to figure out what it is.  Looks kinda like a pointy mountain next to a fat mountain.  Kinda weird how the right side of the mountain begins to slope downward between the numbers 1960 and 1970, and steadily downward thereafter.  I wonder what all of those line thingies mean?

Can someone explain this picture to me as if it were an argument between a married couple?  I want to feel smart.

Congress risks "manufacturing crisis" by prevaricating over raising the debt ceiling 24417

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

About that graph and this notion of yours that our manufacturing jobs began to steadily decline in 1945.  When during my entire youth the country was experiencing the greatest economic boom in history and my old man and everybody else's old man was able to get a good job with good benefits because we were the world's manufacturing "superpower" during that time.
Fuck, I wasn't even born until 1949 and it was already going full bore.  And continued to do so for a long time afterwards.
That graph,  or more accurately what you're trying to infer from it,  is the best example I've seen yet for what Mark Twain said about statistics.  lol

Later on when the corporate power brokers colluded with both political parties to take advantage of an unbelievably cheap and unlimited source of labor in China,  that's when we started to transition from a manufacturing to a service economy. 
Not in 1945.  That's so fucking absurd that it makes me wonder if you actually have been taught anything of value in school.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum