Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

So what's good about the business, er... sport ... of football?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Cumulative evidence clearly shows a link between football and brain damage.  The zeal with which frenzied fans lose their ability to recognize that whichever way a game ends up, the world will still continue, plus the "everything goes" attitudes that permeate the players and coaches approach to the game, all add up to unreserved violence portrayed as noble, righteous sport fun.  

At the bottom, at the high school level, you've got players openly attacking referees -- ostensibly with tacit approval from their coaches.  At the top end, there's Deflategate.  

And then there's the hundreds of ex-pro-footballers who are walking cripples and brain damaged, dysfunctional individuals; men who were simply "used-up" by the "sport" to which they dedicated their lives.

If there are good values promoted by this violence-prone, celebration of unarmed warfare, and the frenzy it fosters among its fan base, I've yet to find them.  On one side of the stadium sits the red team's fans, on the other, the blue team's fans.  Each is hoping that their team will physically demolish their opponents.  Each side yelling and cheering on their favored warriors.  The fever pitch rises and anything goes.   Reality.  

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/high-school-coach-put-administrative-211328339.html

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

We are triblistic by nature ... we are evolved to be that way.

That said .... I don't watch football anymore since my kid finished high school, although I used to play in high school myself.  I enjoyed high school games where I knew some of the players & their families and coaches ... and the social aspect of watching with members of the local school community in the stands. I watched pro ball some when I was younger, but never really got into college ball.   I'm still always up for a game of touch football at a social gathering though.   Can still throw & catch pretty decent.

If people enjoy it & get something out of it .... well, I'm happy for them. I get it.   All the hoo-rah, yelling, & rooting for one's team probably provides an emotional release many people need anyway.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

EmeraldGhost wrote:We are triblistic by nature ... we are evolved to be that way.

That said .... I don't watch football anymore since my kid finished high school, although I used to play in high school myself.  I enjoyed high school games where I knew some of the players & their families and coaches ... and the social aspect of watching with members of the local school community in the stands.   I watched pro ball some when I was younger, but never really got into college ball.   I'm still always up for a game of touch football at a social gathering though.   Can still throw & catch pretty decent.

If people enjoy it & get something out of it .... well, I'm happy for them.  I get it.   All the hoo-rah, yelling, & rooting for one's team probably provides an emotional release many people need anyway.

Good points, all. I understand your point of view. But to me, football is supposed to be a game, nothing more. That stops the moment an angry dad races onto a field where 9 year-olds are playing and punches out the ref. I don't doubt but that a lot of very young football players have dads just like that, and to them, being forced to play each week is more punishment than sport. What you said about us being tribal is awesomely accurate. I completely understand tribalism ... and there isn't any aspect of it worthy of celebration.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Football is the only sport I follow (college football, not pro-ball). I love it, and will continue to follow it. No doubt, it is a rough sport.

Oddly, I didn't pay attention to it that much until around 1994. One of my brothers was perplexed. He said: "When did you get into football, because you were not into it when we were kids?"

I am into it now. My father was really into college football, and what I truly miss is, after I developed a passion for college football, I had a new level to experience/communicate with my father. We would talk football on the phone every Saturday. He lived in California and followed the PAC-12, I follow the SEC. We had lively conversations, and I wish I could tell him today: "Dad, I hear UCLA has a top quarterback recruit this year, and is expected to have a really good team this season." UCLA was his favorite team. He died in December of 2012, and the last year or so, his dementia had gotten worse so our football talk kind of fell-off.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum