Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Time: Now’s the Time To End Tax Exemptions for Religious Institutions

+4
ZVUGKTUBM
gatorfan
TEOTWAWKI
boards of FL
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

boards of FL

boards of FL

http://time.com/3939143/nows-the-time-to-end-tax-exemptions-for-religious-institutions/

The Supreme Court's ruling on gay marriage makes it clearer than ever that the government shouldn't be subsidizing religion and non-profits

Two weeks ago, with a decision in Obergefell v. Hodges on the way, Sen. Mike Lee of Utah introduced the First Amendment Defense Act, which ensures that religious institutions won’t lose their tax exemptions if they don’t support same-sex marriage. Liberals tend to think Sen. Lee’s fears are unwarranted, and they can even point to Justice Anthony Kennedy’s opinion in Friday’s case, which promises “that religious organizations and persons [will be] given proper protection.”

But I don’t think Sen. Lee is crazy. In the 1983 Bob Jones University case, the court ruled that a school could lose tax-exempt status if its policies violated “fundamental national public policy.” So far, the Bob Jones reasoning hasn’t been extended to other kinds of discrimination, but someday it could be. I’m a gay-rights supporter who was elated by Friday’s Supreme Court decision — but I honor Sen. Lee’s fears.

I don’t, however, like his solution. And he’s not going to like mine. Rather than try to rescue tax-exempt status for organizations that dissent from settled public policy on matters of race or sexuality, we need to take a more radical step. It’s time to abolish, or greatly diminish, their tax-exempt statuses.

The federal revenue acts of 1909, 1913, and 1917 exempted nonprofits from the corporate excise and income taxes at the same time that they allowed people to deduct charitable contributions from their incomes. In other words, they gave tax-free status to the income of, and to the income donated to, nonprofits. Since then, state and local laws nearly everywhere have exempted nonprofits from all, or most, property tax and state income tax. This system of tax exemptions and deductions took shape partly during World War I, when it was feared that the new income tax, with top rates as high as 77%, might choke off charitable giving. But whatever its intentions, today it’s a mess, for several reasons.

First, the religious exemption has forced the IRS to decide what’s a religion, and thus has entangled church and state in the worst way. Since the world’s great religion scholars can’t agree on what a religion is, it’s absurd to ask a bunch of accountants, no matter how well-meaning. You can read part of the IRS’s guidelines for what’s a bona fide religion here; suffice it to say that it has an easier time saying what’s not a religion. The site gives the example of the rejection of an application from an “outgrowth of a supper club … whose primary activities were holding meetings before supper, sponsoring the supper club, and publishing a newsletter” but which professed a religious doctrine of “ethical egoism.”

On the other hand, the IRS famously caved and awarded the Church of Scientology tax-exempt status. Never mind that the Scientology is secretive, or that it charges for its courses; or that its leader, David Miscavige, lives like a pasha. Indeed, many clergy have mid-six-figure salaries — many university presidents, seven-figure salaries — and the IRS doesn’t trouble their tax-exempt status. And many churches and synagogues sit on exceedingly valuable tracts of land (walk up and down Fifth Avenue to see what I mean). The property taxes they aren’t paying have to be drawn from business owners and private citizens — in a real sense, you and I are subsidizing Mormon temples, Muslims mosques, Methodist churches.

We’re also subsidizing wealthy organizations sitting in the middle of poor towns. Yale University has an endowment of about $25 billion, yet it pays very little to the city of New Haven, which I (as a resident) can assure you needs the money. At the prep school I attended (current endowment: $175 million), faculty houses, owned by the school, were tax-exempt, on the theory that teachers sometimes had students over for dinner, where they talked about history or literature or swim practice.

Meanwhile, although nonprofits can’t endorse political candidates, they can be quite partisan and still thrive on the public dole, in the form of tax exemptions and deductions. Conservatives are footing the bill for taxes that Planned Parenthood, a nonprofit, doesn’t pay — while liberals are making up revenue lost from the National Rifle Association. I could go on. In short, the exemption-and-deduction regime has grown into a pointless, incoherent agglomeration of nonsensical loopholes, which can allow rich organizations to horde plentiful assets in the midst of poverty.

Defenders of tax exemptions and deductions argues that if we got rid of them charitable giving would drop. It surely would, although how much, we can’t say. But of course government revenue would go up, and that money could be used to, say, house the homeless and feed the hungry. We’d have fewer church soup kitchens — but countries that truly care about poverty don’t rely on churches to run soup kitchens.

Exemption advocates also point out that churches would be squeezed out of high-property-value areas. But if it’s important to the people of Fifth Avenue to have a synagogue like Emanu-El or an Episcopal church like St. Thomas in their midst, they should pay full freight for it. They can afford to, more than millions of poorer New Yorkers whose tax bills the synagogue and church exemptions are currently inflating.

So yes, the logic of gay-marriage rights could lead to a reexamination of conservative churches’ tax exemptions (although, as long as the IRS is afraid of challenging Scientology’s exemption, everyone else is probably safe). But when that day comes, it will be long overdue. I can see keeping some exemptions; hospitals, in particular, are an indispensable, and noncontroversial, public good. And localities could always carve out sensible property-tax exceptions for nonprofits their communities need. But it’s time for most nonprofits, like those of us who faithfully cut checks to them, to pay their fair share.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Cool so it was a ruse to attack Christians....good luck with that...Christians in America won't roll over and die like your Christians that are being headed by ISIS

boards of FL

boards of FL

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Cool so it was a ruse to attack Christians....good luck with that...Christians in America won't roll over and die like your Christians that are being headed by ISIS

Just as ISIS will eventually be defeated, so will Christianity.  Last week was a terrible week for religious oppression and it's only going to get worse as the information age advances.

Perhaps it is time for the church to actually contribute something productive to society rather than ignorance and immorality.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

boards of FL wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:Cool so it was a ruse to attack Christians....good luck with that...Christians in America won't roll over and die like your Christians that are being headed by ISIS

Just as ISIS will eventually be defeated, so will Christianity.  Last week was a terrible week for religious oppression and it's only going to get worse as the information age advances.

Perhaps it is time for the church to actually contribute something productive to society rather than ignorance and immorality.

Do away with church it's all that keeps some people from going Genghis Khan on your ass. Yes it's a bit of an opiate.

How bigoted, Boards. Do away with Christianity?

Really.

And you're an educated man.

Amazing the lack of total view - such blinders.

I say we should do away with ALL redistribution, subsidy, and handouts... unless a person is verifiably disabled.

Sink or swim... then the charity of others might be appreciated through churches like it used to be. Frickin commies.

boards of FL

boards of FL

SheWrites wrote:How bigoted, Boards.  Do away with Christianity?

Really.

As humanity learns more about the natural world, we replace old theories with new theories that account for new information and empirical observation. Being that the case, it is inevitable that religion will eventually be shed. And that is a good thing.

But until then, shouldn't they at least pay taxes and contribute to society just like everyone else?

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Hey I have always been a big fan of survival of the fittest. That said , my feelings were tempered by a carpenter from Nazareth. If it weren't for him I would be a totally different person. I wouldn't be so nice allowing the state to eat out my substance just to give it to lazy people for votes.

gatorfan

boards of FL wrote:

Really.

As humanity learns more about the natural world, we replace old theories with new theories that account for new information and empirical observation.   Being that the case, it is inevitable that religion will eventually be shed.  And that is a good thing.

But until then, shouldn't they at least pay taxes and contribute to society just like everyone else?

Shewrites is correct, your attitude is one of a narrow-minded bigot. People who attend church pay taxes even if the church itself doesn't, most are small and not exactly rolling in money. It's kind of RACIST to ridicule all churches since some demographics rely on church for their basic needs in addition to their spiritual. Congregations in smaller churches tend to take care of their own, unlike your progressive utopia of the entitlement crowd.

Of course if you want to eliminate their tax status then don't stop there, eliminate the tax status of ALL nonprofits and watch as the people who are in the trenches actually doing what you claim to think important close up shop. You know, soup kitchens, homeless shelters, immigrant services, etc. Of course I'm sure you are a willing volunteer or do you just talk a poor game?

I find it interesting that a progressive would even care why people are religious, if it comforts them for whatever reason then one would think a true progressive should support that idea if not agree with it.

boards of FL wrote:

Really.

As humanity learns more about the natural world, we replace old theories with new theories that account for new information and empirical observation.   Being that the case, it is inevitable that religion will eventually be shed.  And that is a good thing.

Your mind would be blown to know the contributions that are made in this world by Christians. Not people with any political agenda, not those that claim to be Christian but only worry about the politics of the world, true Christians. Differences are made in communities, villages, schools...but that doesn't fit the agenda, does it??? Easier to lambaste the whole bunch and get rid of them, eh?

Rolling Eyes

Enlightenment is now the complete lack of tolerance. Congratulations comrades.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Religion will never be snuffed out, and if Christianity ever is destroyed, it will be replaced with Lucifer worship. If you ever read books about the Illuminati, this is what you will find out.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

boards of FL

boards of FL

gatorfan wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Really.

Shewrites is correct, your attitude is one of a narrow-minded bigot. People who attend church pay taxes even if the church itself doesn't, most are small and not exactly rolling in money. It's kind of RACIST to ridicule all churches since some demographics rely on church for their basic needs in addition to their spiritual. Congregations in smaller churches tend to take care of their own, unlike your progressive utopia of the entitlement crowd.

Of course if you want to eliminate their tax status then don't stop there, eliminate the tax status of ALL nonprofits and watch as the people who are in the trenches actually doing what you claim to think important close up shop. You know, soup kitchens, homeless shelters, immigrant services, etc. Of course I'm sure you are a willing volunteer or do you just talk a poor game?

I find it interesting that a progressive would even care why people are religious, if it comforts them for whatever reason then one would think a true progressive should support that idea if not agree with it.

Religion perpetuates bigotry.  Pointing that out doesn't make me a bigot in any way.  

It is the year 2015 we are just now reaching a point where homosexuals are allowed to marry.  The reason it has taken us that long is because of religion.  That's really it.  And you're asking me why I should care about that so long as the people who subscribe to the religion are comfortable?

I can only laugh at your "RACIST" comment.

boards of FL

boards of FL

SheWrites wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Really.

Your mind would be blown to know the contributions that are made in this world by Christians. Not people with any political agenda, not those that claim to be Christian but only worry about the politics of the world, true Christians.  Differences are made in communities, villages, schools...but that doesn't fit the agenda, does it???  Easier to lambaste the whole bunch and get rid of them, eh?

Rolling Eyes

Any contributions made by religion are far outweighed by the damage that they have wrought on society. Paying taxes won't fix that, but it's better than nothing.

2seaoat

I am for religious institutions keeping their tax exempt status. I am bothered by when religion merges into politics. I have always been bothered by an exemption from property taxes which support local services. If there is a fire in a church, the rest of the community pays for that church not paying their service fee......a church does not get free water, it does not get free internet, it does not get free electric, but when I see squads sitting in the median on 98 on a sunday directing traffic for a church, I have always raised the question that this is simply not fair. In the past on the PNJ the deputies told me that they got a fee directly from the church, but that does not even come close to covering the cost.

I would not be against a limited implementation of real estate taxes which recoup some of a community's costs which go unreimbursed. I think that is fair and common sense. I have a problem of any further taxation unless a church has morphed into something which really is politcal or a scam like I believe scientology is, but who makes the determination of the worthiness of one's belief......a slippery slope to be avoided. However, service taxation is fair and needed.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I would be fine with taxing churches then they can go back to being political, attacking the liberal idiots that are so enamored with that failure called Communism. Help people pick out their political leaders and speak freely on homosexuality and whatever else they want to discuss...Freely.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Also if you don't like religion move North to a less inclined state where you can be happy. Oh that's right you want to make every place the same..what suits you...Use the federal government to force compliance with your bigoted views.

gatorfan

boards of FL wrote:
gatorfan wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Really.

Religion perpetuates bigotry.  Pointing that out doesn't make me a bigot in any way.  

It is the year 2015 we are just now reaching a point where homosexuals are allowed to marry.  The reason it has taken us that long is because of religion.  That's really it.  And you're asking me why I should care about that so long as the people who subscribe to the religion are comfortable?

Go ahead, BTW here is the definition of "Bigot" - it describes you perfectly:
"a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions."

I laugh at your innate ability to ignore the substance of a thread response and focus on one tiny slice. Must have something to do with the "blinders" issue you have.

2seaoat

Also if you don't like religion move North

There are more Christians in the North than the south.....but like my Southern Baptist Grandmother used to call her next door neighbor.....that Etalian Catholic......like a guy of Italian ethnicity whose family had been in the country for a hundred years, and that the catholic faith was not christian or American....unless you were scotch irish and baptist like her........sorry God made his decision who would win the war.....and the bad guys lost.....get over it. Christians are everywhere enjoying their faith with little or no interference from government......something not all christians in this world can say.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

2seaoat wrote:Also if you don't like religion move North

There are more Christians in the North than the south.....but like my Southern Baptist Grandmother used to call her next door neighbor.....that Etalian Catholic......like a guy of Italian ethnicity whose family had been in the country for a hundred years, and that the catholic faith was not christian or American....unless you were scotch irish and baptist like her........sorry God made his decision who would win the war.....and the bad guys lost.....get over it.  Christians are everywhere enjoying their faith with little or no interference from government......something not all christians in this world can say.

Yeah I guess the threats from the IRS are not interference in your little socialist world...

Outrage Alert: IRS Threatens Church For Antiwar Sermon

IRS threatens to Prosecute Christians and Tea-Party Conservatives

boards of FL

boards of FL

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Also if you don't like religion move North to a less inclined state where you can be happy. Oh that's right you want to make every place the same..what suits you...Use the federal government  to force compliance with your bigoted views.

You have that one wrong. I'd rather use the federal government to prevent you and your religion from forcing society to comply with your ignorant worldview.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

boards of FL wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:Also if you don't like religion move North to a less inclined state where you can be happy. Oh that's right you want to make every place the same..what suits you...Use the federal government  to force compliance with your bigoted views.

You have that one wrong.  I'd rather use the federal government to prevent you and your religion from forcing society to comply with your ignorant worldview.  

Yes so you can force your bigoted "scientific " global climate change view on us...well spunky you already got it working...
1954 Johnson Amendment gives the IRS’s power to Tax Churches and Non-profits if they endorse political candidates.

boards of FL

boards of FL

gatorfan wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
gatorfan wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Really.

I laugh at your innate ability to ignore the substance of a thread response and focus on one tiny slice. Must have something to do with the "blinders" issue you have.

I wouldn't say that I'm intolerant. I'm just just more vocal and better able to make my case than you are.

If I were intolerant, I would ban everyone who disagrees with me. In reality, they often leave because they're butthurt - not because I'm intolerant or denied them a voice. You should know as you've made that exit yourself before.

gatorfan

boards of FL wrote:
gatorfan wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
gatorfan wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Really.

I wouldn't say that I'm intolerant.  I'm just just more vocal and better able to  make my case than you are.

If I were intolerant, I would ban everyone who disagrees with me.  In reality, they often leave because they're butthurt - not because I'm intolerant or denied them a voice.  You should know as you've made that exit yourself before.

LOL, that's pretty funny coming from an unqualified narcissist like yourself. You are not even close to being as tolerant or capable of expressing a cogent thought as you think. You tend to ask stupid questions in a childish effort to deflect from your inability to address issues. When that eventually fails I've noticed you start posting bullshit threads to drive your failed efforts down the line.

So predictable......

boards of FL

boards of FL

gatorfan wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
gatorfan wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
gatorfan wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Really.

I wouldn't say that I'm intolerant.  I'm just just more vocal and better able to  make my case than you are.

If I were intolerant, I would ban everyone who disagrees with me.  In reality, they often leave because they're butthurt - not because I'm intolerant or denied them a voice.  You should know as you've made that exit yourself before.

LOL, that's pretty funny coming from an unqualified narcissist like yourself. You are not even close to being as tolerant or capable of expressing a cogent thought as you think. You tend to ask stupid questions in a childish effort to deflect from your inability to address issues. When that eventually fails I've noticed you start posting bullshit threads to drive your failed efforts down the line.

So predictable......

Can you give me an example? Of course you can't.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum