Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wow, even under Carter we had not gutted the Navy to the point that we didn't have enough amphib transports for the Marines to do their jobs

+5
Wordslinger
TEOTWAWKI
Markle
ZVUGKTUBM
KarlRove
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

KarlRove

KarlRove

http://www.caintv.com/marines-looking-to-deploy-on-f

So, we are going to have to RENT ships so that Marines can get to the locations they need to get to in a crisis. Totally absurd, but hey, it's typical for the COWH.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

KarlRove wrote:it's typical for the COWH.

Yes it is Obama's fault...... He counts how many amphibious ships the Navy should have and personally controls the exact number. Why has not Congress tried to add extra ships back in?

The Navy's top ship building priority is replacing the Ohio Class SSBNs with a new class of 12 SSBN's.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

KarlRove

KarlRove

Obama is the architect of fail

KarlRove

KarlRove

Obama is the final say
So on the budget, you said so yourself Z

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

Yes it is Obama's fault...... He counts how many amphibious ships the Navy should have and personally controls the exact number. Why has not Congress tried to add extra ships back in?

The Navy's top ship building priority is replacing the Ohio Class SSBNs with a new class of 12 SSBN's.

Sequestration was proposed by semi-retired President Obama and we are seeing the results.

Next I guess we'll be renting rooms on Russian ships to lodge our military, sort of like we now rent space and Russian rockets to deliver our Astronauts to the Space Station.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

What a clever plan Obama has...that was his secret talk with Putin...he will load all our troops on Russian ships and then the Russians will pull the drain plugs.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

The U.S. has rented ships to transport troops since 1898. Nothing new in that process. As for the reduction in amphibs, maybe it indicates we don't see the need to massive invasions of other folks' countries as a positive policy anymore -- not for us, and not for them.

Fuck war. As PkrBum said, let'm eat each other and in they fuck with us, turn'em to glass. If we don't intend to invade and occupy other people's lands anymore (it doesn't pay off for us -- not since Vietnam -- we don't need delivery systems for Marines.

KarlRove

KarlRove

We have not ever had a dearth of amphib transports as such in a modern era. Renting ships is a national security concern and might create a situaok where a foreign government reneges support to feign neutrality. We have
Now been caught with
Out pants down and that's how the Dems have always done the military before a major war happens.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

KarlRove wrote:We have not ever had a dearth of amphib transports as such in a modern era. Renting ships is a national security concern and might create a situaok where a foreign government reneges support to feign neutrality. We have
Now been caught with
Out pants down and that's how the Dems have always done the military before a major war happens.

Bullshit. It's okay by me if we don't deliver Marines at all to another unwinnable, never ending and totally useless war.

2seaoat

Pace,

There is a simple solution.  Cut the marines numbers in half.....problem solved.

gatorfan

The need for Marines is over, I can't envision the requirement for a forced entry across a beach anymore. During Desert Storm the Iraqis placed cheap mines inshore and effectively negated the Marine landing forces. With technology outpacing traditional warfighting methods it's time to roll the Marines into the Army along with the Air Force. The Navy should focus on keeping sea lanes open, not worrying about how to haul Marines around "just in case they are needed somewhere".

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Markle wrote:
ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

Sequestration was proposed by semi-retired President Obama and we are seeing the results.

Next I guess we'll be renting rooms on Russian ships to lodge our military, sort of like we now rent space and Russian rockets to deliver our Astronauts to the Space Station.  

Another cheap shot from the King of inconsequential drivel.

Sal

Sal

2seaoat wrote:Cut the marines numbers in half.....problem solved.

This.

2seaoat

The need for Marines is over, I can't envision the requirement for a forced entry across a beach anymore. During Desert Storm the Iraqis placed cheap mines inshore and effectively negated the Marine landing forces. With technology outpacing traditional warfighting methods it's time to roll the Marines into the Army along with the Air Force. The Navy should focus on keeping sea lanes open, not worrying about how to haul Marines around "just in case they are needed somewhere".

Excellent Post!  The French taught the world that building defense based on the last war is a ticket to defeat.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

The Marines have survived such threats to its existence in the past. After the end of World War II, Congress settled on the USMC having three divisions and three air wings, although the 3rd MarDiv and 1st MAW, both based on Okinawa, are nominally manned by units temporarily deployed from the other two divisions and wings.

The Marines are very smooth politicians, and have clout on The Hill. In just recent years, they have gotten almost everything they wanted; especially on the aviation side.  They got the very controversial MV-22 Osprey and F-35B fighter jet, the AH-1Z, the UH-1Y, the C-130J, and the CH-53K will soon fly as a test aircraft. These aircraft were in various planning stages before the GWOT began, but the aircraft replacements have exclusively occurred in the last 10 years.

Hell, the entire U.S. military is bloated and needs to be reduced. Russia and China are the only countries which can really threaten us (with nukes, mostly), and neither has the ability to project power beyond their immediate regions (except for launching intercontinental nukes). All other "threats" to U.S. security are small players who are used as an excuse to sustain the empire. The world would be much safer overall if U.S. militarism did not exist

gatorfan

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:The world would be much safer overall if U.S. militarism did not exist.

And Chinese, Russian, ISIL-type, etc......

KarlRove

KarlRove

gatorfan wrote:
ZVUGKTUBM wrote:The world would be much safer overall if U.S. militarism did not exist.

Z forgets a lot of things.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

gatorfan wrote:

I agree......

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:The Marines have survived such threats to its existence in the past. After the end of World War II, Congress settled on the USMC having three divisions and three air wings, although the 3rd MarDiv and 1st MAW, both based on Okinawa, are nominally manned by units temporarily deployed from the other two divisions and wings.

The Marines are very smooth politicians, and have clout on The Hill. In just recent years, they have gotten almost everything they wanted; especially on the aviation side.  They got the very controversial MV-22 Osprey and F-35B fighter jet, the AH-1Z, the UH-1Y, the C-130J, and the CH-53K will soon fly as a test aircraft. These aircraft were in various planning stages before the GWOT began, but the aircraft replacements have exclusively occurred in the last 10 years.

Hell, the entire U.S. military is bloated and needs to be reduced. Russia and China are the only countries which can really threaten us (with nukes, mostly), and neither has the ability to project power beyond their immediate regions (except for launching intercontinental nukes). All other "threats" to U.S. security are small players who are used as an excuse to sustain the empire. The world would be much safer overall if U.S. militarism did not exist

"The world would be much safer overall if U.S. militarism did not exist." \

Amen Brother!!

KarlRove

KarlRove

gatorfan wrote:The need for Marines is over, I can't envision the requirement for a forced entry across a beach anymore. During Desert Storm the Iraqis placed cheap mines inshore and effectively negated the Marine landing forces. With technology outpacing traditional warfighting methods it's time to roll the Marines into the Army along with the Air Force. The Navy should focus on keeping sea lanes open, not worrying about how to haul Marines around "just in case they are needed somewhere".

That's where you are wrong. The entire 2nd MAR DIV was in the Gulf as a feint to protect Schwarztkopf's left hook coming out of Western Kuwait/Saudi Arabia to counter Saddam's "Mother of all Tank battles." On top of that, the first into Kuwait from Saudi were the MARINES who breached all of the berms and made a hole so that the rest of the coalition forces could make their way north. It wasn't army, AF, or Navy.

gatorfan

KarlRove wrote:
gatorfan wrote:The need for Marines is over, I can't envision the requirement for a forced entry across a beach anymore. During Desert Storm the Iraqis placed cheap mines inshore and effectively negated the Marine landing forces. With technology outpacing traditional warfighting methods it's time to roll the Marines into the Army along with the Air Force. The Navy should focus on keeping sea lanes open, not worrying about how to haul Marines around "just in case they are needed somewhere".

That's where you are wrong. The entire 2nd MAR DIV was in the Gulf as a feint to protect Schwarztkopf's left hook coming out of Western Kuwait/Saudi Arabia to counter Saddam's "Mother of all Tank battles." On top of that, the first into Kuwait from Saudi were the MARINES who breached all of the berms and made a hole so that the rest of the coalition forces could make their way north. It wasn't army, AF, or Navy.

Nope, I was OIC of a Navy Team operating with the Marines and the mines forced them to stay in "friendly ports" if they came in at all. One of my jobs was to look at potential landing sites and I also participated in shallow mine eradication research prior to DS. We had NOTHING effective enough to protect ships of the follow-on-echelon. Ever hear of the Tripoli and Princeton? I saw the Princeton after the mine strike, they were superhuman sailors to save that ship. Another Officer from my unit was on the Tripoli when it hit and conducted an assessment dive. Not as bad as Princeton but bad enough and cheap hits for the Iraqis.

Didn't you read my post or don't you understand the part about a "forced entry across the beach"?????

The Marines in Kuwait did a great job but nothing the Army couldn't have done......and that's my point, again........

boards of FL

boards of FL

KarlRove wrote:

Translation: Gigantic waste of money.

Slash the military budget and spend that money on something useful such as our own infrastructure.

Markle

Markle

I'm impressed! Who knew you were a graduate of the war college at Annapolis! Congratulations!

Markle

Markle

boards of FL wrote:
KarlRove wrote:

Translation:  Gigantic waste of money.

Slash the military budget and spend that money on something useful such as our own infrastructure.

Wasn't that a major purpose of the "Stimulus" plan? Then how semi-retired President Obama and his Jobs Czar laughed out loud when they mentioned "shovel ready jobs" at a meeting?

Why gooollllyyy...we got a $3.2 MILLION TURTLE TUNNEL here on U.S. 27 North!

What could help more than such a great improvement to our community.

2seaoat

I'm impressed! Who knew you were a graduate of the war college at Annapolis! Congratulations!

Mr. Markle......there will be reductions.  It helps if those reductions were based on knowledgeable Military prople than realtors who shill for the Koch brothers.  Now we will let you espouse your economic theories and particularly your mastery of the concepts surrounding inflation.  The reductions will continue.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum