Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

FDR's "LET ME WARN YOU" circa 1936/MORE RELEVANT THAN EVER

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

knothead

knothead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3RHnKYNvx8

This is a speech by Franklin D. Roosevelt during his reelection campaign in 1936. It's sounds like a perfect sarcastic description of the political gamble being played with common people's lives, that is still going on these days as well ...

"Let me warn you, and let me warn the nation, against the smooth evasion that says 'Of course we believe these things. We believe in social security. We believe in work for the unemployed. We believe in saving homes. Cross our hearts and hope to die.

'We believe in all these things. But we do not like the way that the present administration is doing them. Just turn them over to us. We will do all of them, we will do more of them, we will do them better and, most important of all, the doing of them will not cost anybody anything'"

Last edited by knothead on 10/5/2012, 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total

knothead wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3RHnKYNvx8

This is a speech by Franklin D. Roosevelt during his reelection campaign in 1936. It's sounds like a perfect sarcastic description of the political gamble being played with common people's lives, that is still going on these days as well ...

"Let me warn you, and let me warn the nation, against the smooth evasion that says 'Of course we believe these things. We believe in social security. We believe in work for the unemployed. We believe in saving homes. Cross our hearts and hope to die.

'We believe in all these things. But we do not like the way that the present administration is doing them. Just turn them over to us. We will do all of them, we will do more of them, we will do them better and, most important of all, the doing of them will not cost anybody anything'"

Thomas Jefferson once said:

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is a government big enough to take it all away."

knothead

knothead

PACEDOG#1 wrote:

Thomas Jefferson once said:

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is a government big enough to take it all away."

Old Thomas was one wise old sage for sure. That is as relevant and FDR's statement is very analogous to the method the GOP gets elected . . . . less taxes and after elected the budget goes to hell, i.e., Reagan, Boy George.

This afternoon I saw an interesting factoid that negates that Obama is the face of 'big government' as the GOP likes to say frequently. Fact is there are 676,000 fewer federal employees than in Jan 2009.

if i never hear another mention of FDR ill be a happy person.

knothead

knothead

Rogue wrote:if i never hear another mention of FDR ill be a happy person.

FDR is a giant among our very best Presidents, elected 5 times, pulled our nation out of a deep depression, fought the great war and enacted epic legislation that will endure. I forgive your ignorance.

Markle

Markle

knothead wrote:

FDR is a giant among our very best Presidents, elected 5 times, pulled our nation out of a deep depression, fought the great war and enacted epic legislation that will endure. I forgive your ignorance.

We forgive your ignorance. Franklin D. Roosevelt was elected FOUR times and died shortly into his forth term which he won by a narrow margin. He was succeeded by Harry S. Truman.

Due to his repeated terms the 22nd Amendment was passed by congress in March of 1947 and ratified by the states February 1951. The 22nd Amendment limited the term of a President to two terms or ten years.

In 1942 FDR ordered the internment of tens of thousands of Japanese American citizens. One of the darkest points in our modern history. In spite of this horrendous treatment, the Japanese have among the highest rates of employment, highest education levels and lowest criminal rates. They were enslaved in 1942.

While FDR was a good war time president, his economic policies extended the Great Depression by at least SEVEN YEARS.

More revisionist history from the Progressives.

yep... there are some stains on our constitution that won't wash out. the way he manipulated the scotus was a game changer. i appreciate the difficulties he faced... but the answer domestically is not always govt interventions/solutions. see the 1920 depression. the funny thing is that even he saw the conflict of public unions.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Everybody knows the good guys lost.....

Markle

Markle

PkrBum wrote:yep... there are some stains on our constitution that won't wash out. the way he manipulated the scotus was a game changer. i appreciate the difficulties he faced... but the answer domestically is not always govt interventions/solutions. see the 1920 depression. the funny thing is that even he saw the conflict of public unions.

Quite true. The vast majority of people have never heard of the 1920 depression because the government took a hands off approach and it was over in a short matter of time.

knothead

knothead

[quote="Markle"]
knothead wrote:

We forgive your ignorance. Franklin D. Roosevelt was elected FOUR times and died shortly into his forth term which he won by a narrow margin. He was succeeded by Harry S. Truman.

Due to his repeated terms the 22nd Amendment was passed by congress in March of 1947 and ratified by the states February 1951. The 22nd Amendment limited the term of a President to two terms or ten years.

In 1942 FDR ordered the internment of tens of thousands of Japanese American citizens. One of the darkest points in our modern history. In spite of this horrendous treatment, the Japanese have among the highest rates of employment, highest education levels and lowest criminal rates. They were enslaved in 1942.

While FDR was a good war time president, his economic policies extended the Great Depression by at least SEVEN YEARS.

More revisionist history from the Progressives.[/quote

Markle, I stand corrected as I was writing from a memory and did not copy and paste the 'facts'. FDR is and will always remain one of this nation's best Presidents right up there with Lincoln and Washington. Thanks for the respectful correction.

Markle

Markle

[quote="knothead"]
Markle wrote:
knothead wrote:

More revisionist history from the Progressives.[/quote

Markle, I stand corrected as I was writing from a memory and did not copy and paste the 'facts'. FDR is and will always remain one of this nation's best Presidents right up there with Lincoln and Washington. Thanks for the respectful correction.

You're most welcome.

I guess FDR could be considered a great president if you ignore the fact that he extended the Great Depression by seven years and illegally incarcerated tens of thousands of Japanese.

knothead

knothead

We all need to listen to this brief FDR speech as the etch-a-sketch Romney who denies his own tax plan of a $5 T tax reduction for the rich. This old FDR tape is now more relevant than ever!

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Sounds like FDR is warning us about the Romney/Ryan campaign. LOL!

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

knothead

knothead

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

Precisely, hence the relevance in light of the astounding claims by Romney during the debate . . . .

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:yep... there are some stains on our constitution that won't wash out.

Whoever found it, browned it.

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

Yes, after FDR proved to be a total, domestic failure extending the Great Depression by seven years.

FDR’s Treasury Secretary Henry Morgenthau, Jr., in a private meeting at the Treasury Department, May 9, 1939. Morgenthau was lamenting the fact that government deficit spending did not have the intended effect (reducing unemployment).

"No, gentlemen, we have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work. And I have just one interest, and if I am wrong, as far as I am concerned, somebody else can have my job. I want to see this country prosperous. I want to see people get a job. I want to see people get enough to eat. We have never made good on our promises…"

"But why not let’s come to grips? And as I say, all I am interested in is to really see this country prosperous and this form of Government continue, because after eight years if we can’t make a success somebody else is going to claim the right to make it and he’s got the right to make the trial. I say after eight years of this Administration we have just as much unemployment as when we started."

Now THAT sounds familiar!

knothead

knothead

That was an interesting quote and your analogy that it sounds similar to today's political world is also interesting. FDR went on to be re-elected for two more terms is more relevant than a factoid that you posted. Some appear dismissive of FDR but he suffered mightily through difficult economic times and negotiated the political minefields of a nation at war. He served magnificently and oh yes he was filthy rich yet you wouldn't know it by his demeanor.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum