Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Moochelle at her divisive best at Tuskeegee

+4
2seaoat
Markle
othershoe1030
KarlRove
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

VectorMan

VectorMan

2seaoat wrote:You missed the point. I'm not surprised.

Not at all.....you missed that there is no verifiable source for the Johnson quote except an unauthorized biography which like the Hersh article is just make some chit up....which is why racist publication continue to play the same for those who think there is a point.......checker players should stick with checkers.

No sir. After reading whatever that is you typed above, I'm convinced you missed the point.

That being said. The speech Michelle gave at Tuskegee did nothing but create even more racial division. She is about as fake as they come. As are most liberals from my experience.

2seaoat

As are most liberals from my experience.

You need to remove that rock you live under and actually experience life and celebrate our diversity......but that would be scary.  Michelle is a powerful, intelligent, and a beautiful woman........hmmmmm.......I get it.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

VectorMan wrote:

Not at all.....you missed that there is no verifiable source for the Johnson quote except an unauthorized biography which like the Hersh article is just make some chit up....which is why racist publication continue to play the same for those who think there is a point.......checker players should stick with checkers.

No sir. After reading whatever that is you typed above, I'm convinced you missed the point.

That being said. The speech Michelle gave at Tuskegee did nothing but create even more racial division. She is about as fake as they come. As are most liberals from my experience.

In her speech she recalls achievements and obstacles overcome by black Americans and encourages the graduates to remember those struggles. She tells them there will be bumpy times ahead but to not give up, be true to yourself.

Different people hear different things in her talk. I find nothing but encouragement and support from her to the graduates. She congratulates them for their hard work and perseverance in attaining their degrees, acknowledges sacrifices made by their families to bring them to this day.

Wow, that is really divisive, yup, you betcha.

VectorMan

VectorMan

othershoe1030 wrote:
VectorMan wrote:

In her speech she recalls achievements and obstacles overcome by black Americans and encourages the graduates to remember those struggles. She tells them there will be bumpy times ahead but to not give up, be true to yourself.

Different people hear different things in her talk. I find nothing but encouragement and support from her to the graduates. She congratulates them for their hard work and perseverance in attaining their degrees, acknowledges sacrifices made by their families to bring them to this day.

Wow, that is really divisive, yup, you betcha.

I don't like how she rehashed the bad times for black people in America. Being pulled over for no reason at all. Being watched in department stores in her younger days, because she is black. I'm not saying that kind of thing never happened or isn't happening today. It sucks and is wrong, no doubt. But Mrs O sounded pretty angry. I fail to see how that bit helps race relations in America. And these days that is something that we should already have.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

I don't like how she rehashed the bad times for black people in America. Being pulled over for no reason at all. Being watched in department stores in her younger days, because she is black. I'm not saying that kind of thing never happened or isn't happening today. It sucks and is wrong, no doubt. But Mrs O sounded pretty angry. I fail to see how that bit helps race relations in America. And these days that is something that we should already have.

I give you a lot of credit for even posting your comment, thank you for acknowledging reality for black Americans, which is more than some on this forum are able to do.

The interpretation of her sounding angry is open for individual evaluation and will be seen differently by different people depending on their experiences and attitudes. I saw it as just being sincere and earnest, being real about what she and other black Americans have been through.

Interestingly, there seems to be a general feeling I wasn't quite aware of until recently, a notion that there is some kind of stereotype of the "angry black male, usually male figure. I'm thinking that idea might have something to do with the unconscious perception that maybe these people really DO have something to be angry about and white America just really doesn't want to have to deal with it? I'm just thinking out loud here. At any rate I enjoyed your post.

KarlRove

KarlRove

If a white person had said one iota of this they would be castigated and crucified.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

VectorMan wrote:Racist President Lyndon Baines Johnson 1963... "These Negroes, they're getting pretty uppity these days and that's a problem for us since they've got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we've got to do something about this, we've got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference... I'll have them niggers voting Democratic for the next two hundred years".

Every race has practiced slavery at one point or another. Just depends on how far you want to go back. I'm sure liberals know exactly when the cut off date is. Since they know what is best for everyone. LOL

This "quote" appeared in a book written by Ronald Kessler...and there is nothing to back it up. According to Bill Moyers, who was Johnson's White House Press Secretary, Johnson was upset about the CRA because he thought (rightly) that he had delivered the South to Republicans. All you have to do is look at his treatment of Republican vs. Democrat presidents. Again, LBJ did not make that statement. It's a lie.

http://politicalliars.com/Top-Liar/Ronald-Kessler-In-The-Presidents-SECRET-SERVICE-Behind-the-scenes-with-agents-in-the-line-of-fire-and-the-Presidents-they-protect/130.html

Sal

Sal

othershoe1030 wrote:If a thread such as this is started about a speech given by a public figure I think it is only reasonable to post a link to the full speech. The MSM has largely focused on a minute or so of the remarks but here is a full length look at what I thought was a very inspiring talk to a graduating class from a university that has significant meaning for black Americans.

Don't miss the references to students building their campus with bricks they made themselves or reminders about the history of the famous Tuskegee Airmen, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhUKwl5NFgE

Thanks for the context.

I also found the speech to be inspiring and thoughtful.

It is a joy to have a First Lady with such eloquence and grace.

That she gets under the wingnutz' skins is but a bonus.

KarlRove

KarlRove

Sal wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:If a thread such as this is started about a speech given by a public figure I think it is only reasonable to post a link to the full speech. The MSM has largely focused on a minute or so of the remarks but here is a full length look at what I thought was a very inspiring talk to a graduating class from a university that has significant meaning for black Americans.

Don't miss the references to students building their campus with bricks they made themselves or reminders about the history of the famous Tuskegee Airmen, etc.

Thanks for the context.

So you are OK with the FLOTUS being a racist?

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Sal wrote:

Thanks for the context.

Absolutely.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

KarlRove wrote:
Sal wrote:

Thanks for the context.

So you are OK with the FLOTUS being a racist?

You seem to be confusing "being a racist" with "reporting what it is like to be a race other than white", those are not the same things. Listen to what she is saying.

She's saying her experiences in this country are felt from a black point of view given that she is living in a black body what else could her experiences be but those of a black person?

She is just being honest about how she's been treated. It should come as no surprise that these experiences differ from those of white people. Why is this so difficult to grasp?

Sal

Sal

The right wing makes a habit of changing the definitions of terms.

It is a clumsy and dishonest attempt to deflect the debate.

In this way they can pretend that any acknowledgement of race is "racism".

It's juvenile and outrageous, but entirely consistent with their characters.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Sal wrote:The right wing makes a habit of changing the definitions of terms.

It is a clumsy and dishonest attempt to deflect the debate.

In this way they can pretend that any acknowledgement of race is "racism".

It's juvenile and outrageous, but entirely consistent with their characters.

If any mention of race is racism then it kind of makes it tough to talk about it doesn't it?

The experiences of blacks and whites throughout our history have been so very different in so many ways that it is not easy to wrap your head around the very different things that are now coming out and being talked about in a more or less normal way. I think it is a very good thing and am hoping for more progress although it will not come quickly or easily.

Markle

Markle

othershoe1030 wrote:
Markle wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:
Markle wrote:
2seaoat wrote:if GOVERNMENT had not interfered and wrote laws prohibiting integration, there would be far less than there is even today.

I am simply stunned that you have a professional license.  You do realize you are posting jibberish.

Was it not the Supreme Court who ruled that SEPARATE BUT EQUAL laws were perfectly fine and constitutional?

As you well know in 1954, 60+ years ago that concept was struck down.

Plessy v. Ferguson, 163 U.S. 537 (1896), was a landmark United States Supreme Court decision upholding the constitutionality of state laws requiring racial segregation in public facilities under the doctrine of "separate but equal".[1]

The decision was handed down by a vote of 7 to 1 with the majority opinion written by Justice Henry Billings Brown and the dissent written by Justice John Marshall Harlan. Louisiana Justice Edward Douglass White was one of the majority: he was a member of the New Orleans Pickwick Club and the Crescent City White League, the latter a paramilitary organization that had supported white supremacy with violence through the 1870s to suppress black voting and regain political power by white property owners.[2]

"Separate but equal" remained standard doctrine in U.S. law until its repudiation in the 1954 Supreme Court decision Brown v. Board of Education.[3]

After the Supreme Court ruling, the New Orleans Comité des Citoyens (Committee of Citizens), which had brought the suit and had arranged for Homer Plessy's arrest in an act of civil disobedience in order to challenge Louisiana's segregation law, stated, "We, as freemen, still believe that we were right and our cause is sacred."[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plessy_v._Ferguson

Thank you Captain Obvious.

Why did you post this statement? "Was it not the Supreme Court who ruled that SEPARATE BUT EQUAL laws were perfectly fine and constitutional"?

Seems misleading to some readers here who may think you meant that "separate but equal" was a currently held position, which it is not. Sometimes being "obvious" is necessary on this forum.

How could someone, other than Progressives, be mislead into believing "separate but equal" is the current position? Is it the separate water fountains found everywhere? How about the separate hotels?

Markle

Markle

Wordslinger wrote:
Markle wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:
Markle wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:There has been a systemic bias in our culture that cannot be denied by anyone who can objectively look at history. Here is just one very specific example.

MELISSA HARRIS-PERRY 5/9/15
Baltimore and US history of housing segregation
More than 100 years of housing policy -- from segregation laws to restrictive covenants to urban renewal to the subprime mortgage crisis -- have created a Baltimore that is segregated and deeply unequal to this day. MHP and her guests discuss. Duration: 7:57

http://www.msnbc.com/melissa-harris-perry/watch/baltimore-and-us-history-of-housing-segregation-442619459831

Your comments about housing policy is amusing.  Those laws were enacted by Democrats, the KKK started as a radical wing of Democrats.  My opinion has always been that if GOVERNMENT had not interfered and wrote laws prohibiting integration, there would be far less than there is even today.

What did the sub-prime mortgage crisis have to do with racism?

Please show us where I mentioned political parties in this post.
I said it was a systemic characteristic of our entire culture.

Of course Democrats don't want to bring political party into the discussion because they are at fault.

Whenever Progressives/Democrats get caught in an undeniable problem they have caused, then it isn't THEM, IT IS OUR ENTIRE CULTURE.  That's a lie but when that's all you have, you go with it, right?

Was it not Lyndon Johnson, a democratic president. who shepherded the civil rights voting act during his administration?  

And indeed, it is bizarre how the two dominant political parties of this country have reversed their original positions on racism.  Today the democrats are the champions of racial equality, while their racist opponents do all they can to limit and/or deny the voting rights of Black America.

Even more bizarre, today's all white, all Christian KKK is virtually all Republican!  

Reality!

Civil Rights Act of 1964

President Johnson on July 2, 1964.[19]

Vote totals[edit]

Totals are in "Yea–Nay" format:
The original House version: 290–130 (69–31%).
Cloture in the Senate: 71–29 (71–29%).
The Senate version: 73–27 (73–27%).
The Senate version, as voted on by the House: 289–126 (70–30%).

By party[edit]

The original House version:[20]
Democratic Party: 152–96 (61–39%)
Republican Party: 138–34 (80–20%)

Cloture in the Senate:[21]
Democratic Party: 44–23 (66–34%)
Republican Party: 27–6 (82–18%)

The Senate version:[20]
Democratic Party: 46–21 (69–31%)
Republican Party: 27–6 (82–18%)

The Senate version, voted on by the House:[20]
Democratic Party: 153–91 (63–37%)
Republican Party: 136–35 (80–20%)

Markle

Markle

VectorMan wrote:Racist President Lyndon Baines Johnson 1963... "These Negroes, they're getting pretty uppity these days and that's a problem for us since they've got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we've got to do something about this, we've got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference... I'll have them niggers voting Democratic for the next two hundred years".

Every race has practiced slavery at one point or another. Just depends on how far you want to go back. I'm sure liberals know exactly when the cut off date is. Since they know what is best for everyone. LOL

My ancestors were either slaves or slave owners, I'm not sure which. My guess is that they were slave owners since no one in our family had red hair and most were blonde.

Slavery is being practiced today.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Markle wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:
Markle wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:
Markle wrote:
2seaoat wrote:if GOVERNMENT had not interfered and wrote laws prohibiting integration, there would be far less than there is even today.

I am simply stunned that you have a professional license.  You do realize you are posting jibberish.

Was it not the Supreme Court who ruled that SEPARATE BUT EQUAL laws were perfectly fine and constitutional?

Plessy v. Ferguson, 163 U.S. 537 (1896), was a landmark United States Supreme Court decision upholding the constitutionality of state laws requiring racial segregation in public facilities under the doctrine of "separate but equal".[1]

The decision was handed down by a vote of 7 to 1 with the majority opinion written by Justice Henry Billings Brown and the dissent written by Justice John Marshall Harlan. Louisiana Justice Edward Douglass White was one of the majority: he was a member of the New Orleans Pickwick Club and the Crescent City White League, the latter a paramilitary organization that had supported white supremacy with violence through the 1870s to suppress black voting and regain political power by white property owners.[2]

"Separate but equal" remained standard doctrine in U.S. law until its repudiation in the 1954 Supreme Court decision Brown v. Board of Education.[3]

After the Supreme Court ruling, the New Orleans Comité des Citoyens (Committee of Citizens), which had brought the suit and had arranged for Homer Plessy's arrest in an act of civil disobedience in order to challenge Louisiana's segregation law, stated, "We, as freemen, still believe that we were right and our cause is sacred."[4]

Why did you post this statement? "Was it not the Supreme Court who ruled that SEPARATE BUT EQUAL laws were perfectly fine and constitutional"?

Seems misleading to some readers here who may think you meant that "separate but equal" was a currently held position, which it is not. Sometimes being "obvious" is necessary on this forum.

How could someone, other than Progressives, be mislead into believing "separate but equal" is the current position?  Is it the separate water fountains found everywhere?  How about the separate hotels?

You are the one who first posted the nonsense about separate but equal and I am still trying to figure out why. Why? Why? What was the point?

Markle

Markle

othershoe1030 wrote:
Markle wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:
Markle wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:
Markle wrote:

How could someone, other than Progressives, be mislead into believing "separate but equal" is the current position?  Is it the separate water fountains found everywhere?  How about the separate hotels?

You are the one who first posted the nonsense about separate but equal and I am still trying to figure out why. Why? Why? What was the point?

I explained it but obviously I did not make myself clear to you.

My point is that had GOVERNMENT NOT established laws segregating the races, we would be even further ahead than we are today.

Is that clear enough for you?

Last edited by Markle on 5/13/2015, 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

KarlRove

KarlRove

She's a racist

Sal

Sal

othershoe1030 wrote:If any mention of race is racism then it kind of makes it tough to talk about it doesn't it?

That's the point.

They don't want to talk about it.

Thus the linguistic gymnastics.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

My point is that had GOVERNMENT established laws segregating the races, we would be even further ahead than we are today.

I see what your expressing, the opinion but of course you know there were plenty of laws segregating the races, government laws, if you will, so in that case the statement makes no sense.

“"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?”
rhcp490
Alice in Wonderland quotes

Sal

Sal

othershoe1030 wrote:

“"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?”
rhcp490

As Boards says, "when you can't compete in the arena of ideas and policies ..."

Frank Luntz is the poster boy for the 21st Century Repuke debate club.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Sal wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:

rhcp490

As Boards says, "when you can't compete in the arena of ideas and policies ..."

Frank Luntz is the poster boy for the 21st Century Repuke debate club.

Frank Luntz is a genius, not to be underestimated. The way a situation is "framed" is SO important: inheritance tax v death tax, corporations are people v people are corporations, etc.

Markle

Markle

othershoe1030 wrote:My point is that had GOVERNMENT NOT established laws segregating the races, we would be even further ahead than we are today.

I see what your expressing, the opinion but of course you know there were plenty of laws segregating the races, government laws, if you will, so in that case the statement makes no sense.

"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?”
rhcp490

My bad, I left out a key word when typing the sentence. That word was NOT. I hope that clarifies it for you.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Markle wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:My point is that had GOVERNMENT NOT established laws segregating the races, we would be even further ahead than we are today.

"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?”
rhcp490

My bad, I left out a key word when typing the sentence.  That word was NOT.  I hope that clarifies it for you.

Yes, making a 180 degree turn in your statement DOES rather help to clarify things. We agree (OMG) there never should have been laws enforcing segregation.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum