Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chris Christie: 'I Will Crack Down And Not Permit' Legal Marijuana As President (Republicans are completely tone deaf)

+2
Floridatexan
boards of FL
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

boards of FL

boards of FL

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/14/chris-christie-marijuana_n_7066636.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

GOP 2016!  Quite literally wrong on every single issue!

If New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) becomes president of the United States, he said on "The Hugh Hewitt Show" Tuesday, he will "crack down" on those states that have ended prohibitions on marijuana.

When asked by Hewitt if he would enforce federal drug laws in those states that have legalized and regulated cannabis, Christie responded unequivocally.

"Absolutely," Christie said. "I will crack down and not permit it."

Citing an "enormous addiction problem" in the U.S., Christie, who has not yet announced a presidential run but has launched a political action committee, said that a very clear message needs to be sent "from the White House on down through federal law enforcement."

"States should not be permitted to sell it and profit" from legalizing marijuana, he said.

Cannabis is still prohibited under federal law. States that have legalized marijuana, for recreational or medical purposes, rely on guidance from Attorney General Eric Holder urging federal prosecutors to refrain from targeting state-legal operations.

Opposition to marijuana reforms is nothing new from Christie. As governor of New Jersey, he has been a vocal critic, calling medical marijuana programs that 23 states have already enacted a "front" for full recreational legalization. On the prospects for legalizing recreational marijuana in his own state, Christie has said, "Not on my watch." Last year, when asked how a President Christie would treat states that have legalized marijuana, he said, "Probably not well."

But what is surprising is that a majority of Republicans disagree with Christie's stance, according to the most recent polling from Pew Research Center. Fifty-four percent told Pew that the federal government should not interfere with states that have legalized marijuana -- that is, Colorado, Washington, Oregon and Alaska.

Moreover, while only 39 percent of all Republicans support the legalization of recreational marijuana, 49 percent of those who identify as more moderate are in favor of legalization, according to Pew. Among millennial Republicans, support for legalizing marijuana is significant -- 63 percent are in favor.

Not to mention that Christie would need more than just GOP votes to win in 2016, and Pew found that 53 percent of Americans support legalization.

Tom Angell, chairman of the marijuana policy reform group Marijuana Majority, said that Christie's comments put him out of step with most Americans and with most members of his own party.

"This is not only bad policy but is incredibly bad politics," Angell said. "If Christie wants to block sensible marijuana reforms in his own state of New Jersey, that's one thing. But it's especially unacceptable -- and not very conservative, I'd add -- for him to say he'd use federal resources to overturn the will of voters in a growing number of other states that are moving beyond prohibition. Maybe he forgot that Colorado is an important swing state in presidential elections."

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Chris Christie: 'I Will Crack Down And Not Permit' Legal Marijuana As President (Republicans are completely tone deaf) Dc-Lampoon.com-Christies-cream-donuts

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Christy has the munchies already!

boards of FL

boards of FL

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/news-and-events/quinnipiac-university-poll/2016-presidential-swing-state-polls/release-detail?ReleaseID=2183

Legal marijuana is polling better in swing states than any of the 2016 presidential contenders.

Let's hope that Christy doubles down on his zero tolerance policy idea.

2seaoat

I like him. He is just looking out for the obese who will have the munchies......what he is not telling you is that he used to weigh 160 lbs before he started smoking pot in college.......somebody has to look out for the obese.

Seriously, you have to be brain dead to oppose legalized pot. Government needs to honor liberty and the freedom for people in their own homes to do what they want in the choice of alcohol, pot, or other illegal drugs which have criminal sanctions. Regulate and tax.

Sal

Sal

Crisco becomes more irrelevant by the minute.

gatorfan

boards of FL wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/14/chris-christie-marijuana_n_7066636.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

GOP 2016!  Quite literally wrong on every single issue!

Of course in your mind that fat slob is representative of every Republican. Loretta Lynch doesn't believe in legalization and publicly disagreed with Obama on the subject. HRC thinks it should be left up to each state (but that leaves Federal law issues) so she (in effect) is running away from the subject right now. So I guess if fatso is representative of the entire Republican party that must mean Lynch is representative of the entire Democrat party according to your "thinking". Once again you are wrong.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/28/loretta-lynch-marijuana_n_6565962.html

Chris Christie: 'I Will Crack Down And Not Permit' Legal Marijuana As President (Republicans are completely tone deaf) FT_15.02.27_agePtyMJ_420px

2seaoat

Lynch is a prosecutor and not a politician. She has been prosecuting drugs for her entire career and somebody thinks she is going to change from a bulldog into a pussy cat......not a chance. The question is for the POLITICIANS who must decide if pot should be legalized. Prosecutors do not legislate, but they do enforce the law.

boards of FL

boards of FL

gatorfan wrote:Of course in your mind that fat slob is representative of every Republican. Loretta Lynch doesn't believe in legalization and publicly disagreed with Obama on the subject. HRC thinks it should be left up to each state (but that leaves Federal law issues) so she (in effect) is running away from the subject right now. So I guess if fatso is representative of the entire Republican party that must mean Lynch is representative of the entire Democrat party according to your "thinking". Once again you are wrong.

Chris Christie: 'I Will Crack Down And Not Permit' Legal Marijuana As President (Republicans are completely tone deaf) FT_15.02.27_agePtyMJ_420px

Of course Christy isn't representative of every republican.  Libertarians are generally among the republican party and many are in favor of legalizing all drugs.  

And thanks for providing a graphic that basically shows us that the majority in the republican base are against legalized pot while the majority in the democratic base are for legalized pot.  That was a nice touch, Captain Strawman.

gatorfan

boards of FL wrote:
gatorfan wrote:Of course in your mind that fat slob is representative of every Republican. Loretta Lynch doesn't believe in legalization and publicly disagreed with Obama on the subject. HRC thinks it should be left up to each state (but that leaves Federal law issues) so she (in effect) is running away from the subject right now. So I guess if fatso is representative of the entire Republican party that must mean Lynch is representative of the entire Democrat party according to your "thinking". Once again you are wrong.

Of course Christy isn't representative of every republican.  Libertarians are generally among the republican party and many are in favor of legalizing all drugs.  

And thanks for providing a graphic that basically shows us that the majority in the republican base are against legalized pot while the majority in the democratic base are for legalized pot.  That was a nice touch, Captain Strawman.

No problem Captain Oblivious. By now even you must have realized many Republicans are "conservative" - that means they lean away from things like drugs, etc. Does that make them wrong? Not really, except to closed minded progressive bigots like you. But I digress.

The little graph illustrates that there are open minded Republicans. Just like Democrats (apparently not all agree it should be legalized in case you're having graph comprehension issues).

An open mind is something you would have no clue about.

Pot will be legalized, it needs to be but not for the reasons you think. If you've even thought about it - which I doubt Wikipedia Boy.

boards of FL

boards of FL

gatorfan wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

No problem Captain Oblivious. By now even you must have realized many Republicans are "conservative" - that means they lean away from things like drugs, etc. Does that make them wrong? Not really, except to closed minded progressive bigots like you. But I digress.

It isn't the dislike of drugs that makes them wrong.  It is the desire to place otherwise harmless people in prison for drug use and possession that makes them wrong - hence this thread.

gatorfan wrote:The little graph illustrates that there are open minded Republicans. Just like Democrats (apparently not all agree it should be legalized in case you're having graph comprehension issues).

All you did there was reword what I just said in a way that makes republicans sound not as out-to-lunch on this issue.  Here again, the majority of republicans are against legalized pot.  When I say "majority", it obviously implies that "not all" of republicans are against pot but, rather, the "majority" are.  

Democrats and republicans are not alike on this issue at all.  One more time.  The majority of democrats are in favor of legalized pot.  The majority of republicans are against legalized pot.  When you try and draw some sort of equivalence here based on the idea that simply because neither camp carries a eunanimuous opinion on the subject, it must therefore mean that they are very much alike....you look like an idiot.

To those reading this, never ask this guy to perform any sort of "analysis", for you.  

gatorfan wrote:Pot will be legalized, it needs to be but not for the reasons you think. If you've even thought about it - which I doubt Wikipedia Boy.

It needs to be legalized simply due to the fact that there is no good reason for it to be illegal.  Things should only be illegal if there is a good, well founded reason for them to be illegal.  Beyond that, there is absolutely no measurable benefit to society that results from locking people away in prison for possessing a plant like marijuana.

gatorfan

boards of FL wrote:
gatorfan wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

It isn't the dislike of drugs that makes them wrong.  It is the desire to place otherwise harmless people in prison for drug use and possession that makes them wrong - hence this thread.

gatorfan wrote:The little graph illustrates that there are open minded Republicans. Just like Democrats (apparently not all agree it should be legalized in case you're having graph comprehension issues).

All you did there was reword what I just said in a way that makes republicans sound not as out-to-lunch on this issue.  Here again, the majority of republicans are against legalized pot.  When I say "majority", it obviously implies that "not all" of republicans are against pot but, rather, the "majority" are.  

Democrats and republicans are not alike on this issue at all.  One more time.  The majority of democrats are in favor of legalized pot.  The majority of republicans are against legalized pot.  When you try and draw some sort of equivalence here based on the idea that simply because neither camp carries a eunanimuous opinion on the subject, it must therefore mean that they are very much alike....you look like an idiot.

To those reading this, never ask this guy to perform any sort of "analysis", for you.  

gatorfan wrote:Pot will be legalized, it needs to be but not for the reasons you think. If you've even thought about it - which I doubt Wikipedia Boy.

It needs to be legalized simply due to the fact that there is no good reason for it to be illegal.  Things should only be illegal if there is a good, well founded reason for them to be illegal.  Beyond that, there is absolutely no measurable benefit to society that results from locking people away in prison for possessing a plant like marijuana.

The last of your little snarky comments makes sense, I'm surprised you grasped the meat of the issue and I agree.

As to the rest, well

Chris Christie: 'I Will Crack Down And Not Permit' Legal Marijuana As President (Republicans are completely tone deaf) Tumblr_mm0ll3d1UL1ra5unqo1_400

boards of FL

boards of FL

gatorfan wrote:As to the rest, well

Chris Christie: 'I Will Crack Down And Not Permit' Legal Marijuana As President (Republicans are completely tone deaf) Tumblr_mm0ll3d1UL1ra5unqo1_400

I say that the majority of republicans are against legalized pot.  Your graph corroborates that.

You say "Yeah, but not all of them are!  That means that democrats and republicans are alike in that regard!", and then you later go on to say that I am tap dancing around the issue.

Do you understand what that phrase actually means?

gatorfan

boards of FL wrote:

I say that the majority of republicans are against legalized pot.  Your graph corroborates that.

You say "Yeah, but not all of them are! That means that democrats and republicans are alike in that regard!", and then you later go on to say that I am tap dancing around the issue.

Where did I say that, exactly? Good luck.

boards of FL

boards of FL

gatorfan wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

You say "Yeah, but not all of them are! That means that democrats and republicans are alike in that regard!", and then you later go on to say that I am tap dancing around the issue.

Where did I say that, exactly? Good luck.

boards of FL wrote:And thanks for providing a graphic that basically shows us that the majority in the republican base are against legalized pot while the majority in the democratic base are for legalized pot.  That was a nice touch, Captain Strawman.

boards of FL wrote:All you did there was reword what I just said in a way that makes republicans sound not as out-to-lunch on this issue.  Here again, the majority of republicans are against legalized pot.  When I say "majority", it obviously implies that "not all" of republicans are against pot but, rather, the "majority" are.  

gatorfan wrote:Chris Christie: 'I Will Crack Down And Not Permit' Legal Marijuana As President (Republicans are completely tone deaf) Tumblr_mm0ll3d1UL1ra5unqo1_400

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Christie has a lot worse problems than his stance on pot.

http://www.occupydemocrats.com/chris-christie-caught-red-handed-stealing-380000-from-taxpayers-to-pay-for-lavish-lifestyle/

In a new development that should surprise no one, it turns out Governor Chris Christie failed to report or pay taxes on over $380,000 in allowances of public money. It’s just another black mark on a growing laundry list of shady practices that have come to define the Christie governorship. From the “Bridgegate” scandal to accepting luxurious gifts from foreign leaders, it’s clear that there has been a pattern of corrupt behavior which Christie has been growing more and more comfortable with, and that he would bring all that baggage with him to the White House should he decide to make a run for the presidency.

The state of New Jersey provides a salary of $175,000 a year to the governor, along with a $95,000 expense allowance originally intended for maintenance and holding functions at the lavish governor’s mansion at Drumthwacket. The maintenance of Drumthwacket is now handled by a nonprofit agency, allowing Mr. Christie to use the $95,000 as an extension of his personal salary in lieu of living in the mansion. He has failed to file that allowance, paid for by the taxpayers, as income for the past four years straight, allowing him to dodge $152,000 in federal income tax and another $33,000 in state taxes.

This just seems par for the course for a man who gave out two billion dollars in tax breaks to corporations associated with his political allies– including a tax break that was worth more than the company it was given to. He drafted and signed an executive order allowing his travel expenses to be paid for by third parties, which is how he generously let King Abdullah of Jordan pick up a $30,000 hotel tab for him on a business trip. The list goes on and on; for example, state taxpayers paid over $13,000 for Mr. Christie and his family to attend the 2013 Super Bowl in New Orleans. In addition to the federal investigation over the George Washington bridge closures in 2012, yet another federal investigation is looking into the quashing of grand jury indictments against Christie’s political supporters in 2010. On top of all that, the Manhattan District Attorney is investigating Christie’s administration for the misappropriation of $1.8 billion in Port Authority infrastructure funds that somehow found their way somewhere else.

The allegations and investigations keep on piling on Mr. Christie, who somehow still thinks he has a reasonable shot at the Republican nomination. He travels to New Hampshire this week, where he announced Tuesday morning that he plans to raise the age for Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid benefits, along with the minimum age of early retirement. But the lengthy list of corruption charges, criminal abuses of power, and the sheer brazen willingness to take advantage of his position should immediately disqualify him from the White House. The wanton use of public funds with no remorse by Mr. Christie should be recognized as grave warning signs for what he might do if he had access to America’s budget. Under the Republican Congress and the influence of corporate lobbyists, Washington has turned into a veritable bazaar of influence and favors, and the last thing America needs is a greasy schemer like Christie getting his paws deeper in the mud.

Seaoat, I don't understand the appeal of this guy. There's a difference between brash and blowhard.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum