Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

No flooding as the ice breaks on the river

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

It is amazing the power of ice on a river. It can tear down a tree like it was a matchstick. Well the ice broke with no damning and flooding. I lost an atv one year when the river had an ice damn, and I was reading the river gage on the internet and had no idea the river was rising. When I finally got to the house, I checked the garage, and the water was up to the handlebars on the ATV.

The icebergs are one foot thick and often are thirty by thirty pieces of ice which have been pushed up on the islands. One year it was June before the chunks of ice melted which had piled up. This year it is really warm and not much has been pushed up on the land because of the rapid thaw did not allow an ice dam to form. Four miles down the river they used to harvest the ice and fill ice houses before electricity. These ice houses were able to keep the ice cool all summer by insulating it with saw dust and they would deliver the ice to homes to put in their ice boxes.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum