Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Christmas turkey progress

+4
dumpcare
Joanimaroni
2seaoat
boards of FL
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Christmas turkey progress Empty Christmas turkey progress 12/25/2014, 12:36 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Christmas turkey progress Bl64oHl
Christmas turkey progress 9HkEll4
Christmas turkey progress MSZablP
Christmas turkey progress YiDjmwT
Christmas turkey progress WVy4x6C
Christmas turkey progress OMPxGSc
Christmas turkey progress 01syMAb
Christmas turkey progress N6uzjdm

2Christmas turkey progress Empty Re: Christmas turkey progress 12/25/2014, 1:51 pm

2seaoat

interesting.....turkey and bacon.

3Christmas turkey progress Empty Re: Christmas turkey progress 12/25/2014, 2:12 pm

It's really good... I think it helps keep the breast meat moist... and the flavor surprisingly does permeate the turkey.

4Christmas turkey progress Empty Re: Christmas turkey progress 12/25/2014, 2:19 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Christmas turkey progress 11598_10

Christmas turkey progress 10349110

5Christmas turkey progress Empty Re: Christmas turkey progress 12/25/2014, 2:23 pm

dumpcare

2seaoat wrote:interesting.....turkey and bacon.

most club sandwich's have turkey and bacon together, pretty good.

6Christmas turkey progress Empty Re: Christmas turkey progress 12/25/2014, 2:24 pm

dumpcare

Joanimaroni wrote:Christmas turkey progress 11598_10

Christmas turkey progress 10349110

Looks good.

7Christmas turkey progress Empty Re: Christmas turkey progress 12/25/2014, 2:35 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Took these while basting. This is a 21lb bird.

Christmas turkey progress KW0Ro6y
Christmas turkey progress OfIVcwm

8Christmas turkey progress Empty Re: Christmas turkey progress 12/25/2014, 2:45 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

The bacon is good for two reasons.  1)  It does help the breast meat stay moist and add flavor and 2) it's good in the gravy afterwards.  In addition to bacon, there is a citrus herb butter under the skin of the breast.  Inside the turkey are quartered onions, bay leaves, and the half lemons that were used for the herb butter.  All of that, the bacon, some tomatoes that I'll add later, the turkey wings and excess parts, will all go into the gravy at the end - which will be cooked in the roasting pan with the drippings from everything.  

The entire process I learned from this video a few years ago.  I've been doing my turkey this way ever since.  He doesn't give you any measurements so you have to do everything to your taste.  The gravy you just have to learn through trial and error.  

9Christmas turkey progress Empty Re: Christmas turkey progress 12/25/2014, 3:20 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Starting to look good!

Christmas turkey progress W3eZUyi

10Christmas turkey progress Empty Re: Christmas turkey progress 12/25/2014, 3:50 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Oddly enough, the visual aspect is the weakest here. The smell is absolutely unreal.

Christmas turkey progress QH95nVa

11Christmas turkey progress Empty Re: Christmas turkey progress 12/25/2014, 4:19 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

It looks great, Boards. Except, I now have to eat to take care of my ticker. All of that saturated fat, and gravy to boot......

Enjoy it while you are still young, and a few decades away from needing angioplasty like I did......
Crying or Very sad

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

12Christmas turkey progress Empty Re: Christmas turkey progress 12/25/2014, 6:42 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Looks great BOF.

13Christmas turkey progress Empty Re: Christmas turkey progress 12/25/2014, 7:48 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Here ya go Z....

Christmas turkey progress Img_0710
Christmas turkey progress Img_0711

Christmas turkey progress Img_0713

14Christmas turkey progress Empty Re: Christmas turkey progress 12/25/2014, 8:08 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Here ya go Z....

Christmas turkey progress Img_0710
Christmas turkey progress Img_0711

Christmas turkey progress Img_0713

Good job!

15Christmas turkey progress Empty Re: Christmas turkey progress 12/25/2014, 8:15 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Wow.

How long did you cook your turkey?  

Mine was 22.5 lbs turkey.... cooked @325 for 3hr. 15 min. Using a LISK roaster.....100 years old.

16Christmas turkey progress Empty Re: Christmas turkey progress 12/25/2014, 8:16 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

I wasn't going to leave you guys hanging.  Here is how the gravy turned out.

Christmas turkey progress 5HPhjaF
Christmas turkey progress 9VUMoPR
Christmas turkey progress FKZkzLc
Christmas turkey progress BT7nN72
Christmas turkey progress 2XgjNA8
Christmas turkey progress P0lhOhA
Christmas turkey progress JuTV4CQ
Christmas turkey progress LH33m2u
Christmas turkey progress Wk8bpoY

17Christmas turkey progress Empty Re: Christmas turkey progress 12/25/2014, 8:18 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:Wow.

How long did you cook your turkey?  

Mine was 22.5 lbs turkey.... cooked @325 for 3hr. 15 min. Using a LISK roaster.....100 years old.

Mine was just over 21lbs. Cooked for 3 1/2 hours at 340, rested for 1 1/2 hour. I normally like to rest for as long as I cook with turkey, but ran out of time this time.

18Christmas turkey progress Empty Re: Christmas turkey progress 12/26/2014, 10:39 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Save some of that turkey and bacon for an after christmas BLT.

19Christmas turkey progress Empty Re: Christmas turkey progress 12/26/2014, 5:31 pm

Markle

Markle

Until some years ago my mother-in-law would fix Thanksgiving and Christmas turkeys. She still roasted them as she did 40 years ago when they were much tougher and took long, long roasting. She'd start them in the middle of the night and by the time it was served, it was like an artificial turkey. Hard and dry, BUT she assured us that the salmonella was DEAD.

Mercifully she let my wife and I take over. I doubt that she thought all the little salmonella's were dead. It was juicy and tender.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum