Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Waste, Fraud, and Abuse - Disablity Claims

+2
Vikingwoman
dumpcare
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Your tax dollars at work.

Social Security Administrative Law Judges (ALJ) are overwhelmingly approving previously denied claims for disability, both SSDI and SSI.  A just released congressional report focused on the disability appeals process, the part of the process during which ALJs review appealed cases and decide whether or not to award benefits. Between 2005 and 2013, ALJs placed over 3.2 million people on federal disability programs at a total cost of nearly one trillion dollars. During this period, the ALJ allowance rate (the percentage of cases in which ALJs allowed benefits) was 66 percent and 191 ALJs had total allowance rates in excess of 85 percent.  

http://oversight.house.gov/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/2014-12-18-Misplaced-Priorities.-How-SSA-Sacrificed-Quality-for-Quantity.pdf

The SSDI trust fund will be depleted in 2016 resulting in disabled beneficiaries having their current benefits reduced by 19 percent indefinitely. While I don't wish harm to the truly disabled, I can only hope that the Congress will allow the benefits to be reduced.  

The conclusion of the report: "...the tens of millions of Americans who pay taxes to finance federal disability programs have seen their hard-earned tax dollars squandered because of agency mismanagement that has led to hundreds of billions of dollars of improper benefit awards."

From ssa.gov:

"The definition of disability under Social Security is different than other programs. Social Security pays only for total disability. No benefits are payable for partial disability or for short-term disability.

"Disability" under Social Security is based on your inability to work. We consider you disabled under Social Security rules if:

You cannot do work that you did before;
We decide that you cannot adjust to other work because of your medical condition(s); and
Your disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least one year or to result in death.
This is a strict definition of disability. Social Security program rules assume that working families have access to other resources to provide support during periods of short-term disabilities, including workers' compensation, insurance, savings and investments."

If a person goes off of unemployment and gains SSI, is that counted in the unemployment rate going down??

dumpcare

I guessed you were an insurance agent when you first started posting, WFA just tipped me off.

Vikingwoman

The big problem is these disability lawyers. When people are denied they go and get these lawyers who fight the admin. judges until the end of time. The other problem is all the druggies in Calif. are on disabilty. I think they should do it like they do federal housing. If you are convicted of drugs then you should not get disabilty benefits. That will cut out half the beneficiaries.

ppaca wrote:I guessed you were an insurance agent when you first started posting, WFA just tipped me off.

Nope.

Vikingwoman wrote:The big problem is these disability lawyers. When people are denied they go and get these lawyers who fight the admin. judges until the end of time. The other problem is all the druggies in Calif. are on disabilty. I think they should do it like they do federal housing. If you are convicted of drugs then you should not get disabilty benefits. That will cut out half the beneficiaries.

While the lawyers may be part of the problem, the report blamed the problem specifically on the Administrative Law Judges, who apparently think it's more important to process quickly rather than wisely and accurately. Some of the judges have a 95% approval record - and these are cases that have been previously denied, sometimes twice.

edit... I stand corrected. On page 47 of the report they specifically mention the attorneys  (such as Binder & Binder) who represent the claimants at the appeal hearing.  There is an association of attorneys who do this sort of thing: The National Organization of Social Security Claimants’ Representatives (NOSSCR). NOSSCR was successful in lobbying SSA to issue a final regulation that did not require claimants to submit evidence adverse to their claims. As a result, ALJs often make decisions based on incomplete and biased information.

Last edited by colaguy on 12/23/2014, 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

dumpcare

colaguy wrote:
ppaca wrote:I guessed you were an insurance agent when you first started posting, WFA just tipped me off.

Nope.

Just a guess, I don't here that much except in Medicare training once a year.

KarlRove

KarlRove

Vikingwoman wrote:The big problem is these disability lawyers. When people are denied they go and get these lawyers who fight the admin. judges until the end of time. The other problem is all the druggies in Calif. are on disabilty. I think they should do it like they do federal housing. If you are convicted of drugs then you should not get disabilty benefits. That will cut out half the beneficiaries.

Yeah and liberals like yourself aren't for making people pee in a bottle to earn their benefits......

KarlRove wrote:

Yeah and liberals like yourself aren't for making people pee in a bottle to earn their benefits......

I make a distinction between benefits for the poor (welfare) and for the disabled. Sure, both are unfortunate, but the poor can do something about their situation, while the (truly) disabled have little ability to better themselves. That's why it's maddening to hear of so many recently added to the ranks of the disabled, especially at the hands of these GD Administrative Law Judges.

Sal

Sal

I don't have any specific knowledge on this, but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the funds are simply not there to adequately vet, investigate, and adjudicate suspicious claims.

There's always going to be cheats and fraud in these types of programs, so the question is, how much are you willing to pay for enforcement?

The Republicans answer is nothing, and so the whole program is corrupted, but they're happy because they have no qualms about chucking the entire safety net and watching people starve to death in the streets.

Vikingwoman

KarlRove wrote:

We're talking about two different things. People shouldn't have to be tested because they're poor. Why do you feel poor people need to be punished? You're about as christian as a friggin doorknob.

Sal wrote:  I don't have any specific knowledge on this, but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the funds are simply not there to adequately vet, investigate, and adjudicate suspicious claims.

There's always going to be cheats and fraud in these types of programs, so the question is, how much are you willing to pay for enforcement?

The Republicans answer is nothing, and so the whole program is corrupted, but they're happy because they have no qualms about chucking the entire safety net and watching people starve to death in the streets.

As you can see this post is in the Discussion Forum, not the Politics Forum.
The safety net for the disabled is in place.  This post is about blowing the whistle on fraud and abuse.  The bipartisan Committee on Oversight and Government Reform produced a report showing how the ALJs are rubberstamping the appeals of those previously denied.  I want there to be social services for those in need.  What I don't want is fraud, which is being pointed out by the committee - to the tune of an additional $1Trillion per year.  The report is not about going after the frauds and cheats. It's about the poor performance of the ALJs, whose duty is to cull the qualified from the unqualified.

Sal wrote:I don't have any specific knowledge on this, but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the funds are simply not there to adequately vet, investigate, and adjudicate suspicious claims.

The Republicans answer is nothing, and so the whole program is corrupted, but they're happy because they have no qualms about chucking the entire safety net and watching people starve to death in the streets    .

Exactly which safety net programs have been chucked?

Sal

Sal

colaguy wrote:
Sal wrote:  I don't have any specific knowledge on this, but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the funds are simply not there to adequately vet, investigate, and adjudicate suspicious claims.

The safety net for the disabled is in place.  This post is about blowing the whistle on fraud and abuse.  The bipartisan Committee on Oversight and Government Reform produced a report showing how the ALJs are rubberstamping the appeals of those previously denied.  I want there to be social services for those in need.  What I don't want is fraud, which is being pointed out by the committee - to the tune of an additional $1Trillion per year.  The report is not about going after the frauds and cheats. It's about the poor performance of the ALJs, whose duty is to cull the qualified from the unqualified.

OK, now I have some specific knowledge.

A quick search yielded the fact that the number of ALJs has decreased from 53 to 35 nationwide over the past ten years, while the caseload has exploded during the same time period.

Now, let's get political.

President Obama has requested more funds to hire additional judges and staff in an effort to handle the caseload.

Do you think the House will comply?

lmao

Sal

Sal

colaguy wrote:
Sal wrote:I don't have any specific knowledge on this, but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the funds are simply not there to adequately vet, investigate, and adjudicate suspicious claims.

The Republicans answer is nothing, and so the whole program is corrupted, but they're happy because they have no qualms about chucking the entire safety net and watching people starve to death in the streets    .

Exactly which safety net programs have been chucked?

The social safety net has been under constant and relentless attack for over thirty years.

Those tax cuts for the wealthy don't pay for themselves, regardless of what Paul Ryan might tell you.

Wake the fuck up.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Depends on the disability. I did the paper work for my cousin to receive SSDI and obtain medicare. Hehad advanced heart disease and Parkinson's. He received approval when he fiked the first time.

There are many questionable claims....and so often the legitimate clients suffer through the multiple denials.

Sal wrote:
colaguy wrote:

OK, now I have some specific knowledge.

A quick search yielded the fact that the number of ALJs has decreased from 53 to 35 nationwide over the past ten years, while the caseload has exploded during the same time period.

Now, let's get political.

President Obama has requested more funds to hire additional judges and staff in an effort to handle the caseload.

Do you think the House will comply?

lmao

A quick search yields this quote: "In 2013, the Social Security Administration had by far the largest number of ALJs at over 1,400"

and, a quick search of the current Social Security website lists names of current ALJs - 1489 of them.

2seaoat

There is always fraud. It should be attacked. However, I have seen too many people denied ss disability to think this system is out of control. I think the largest factor is that the aging babyboomers are getting old and breaking down. This too will pass with the bubble working its way through the system. I am all for specific reforms which may include lowering case loads, having more case workers who can make better initial diagnosis prior to hearing so people who should quickly get disability get it. I know a person who had stage four pancreatic cancer where is was told he would not live 9 months, yet it took him over six months before he got his disability, and by that time he was almost house bound and lived another month. Some areas require much quicker responses. Other illness must be scrutinized and alternative work proposed which makes that allegedly disabled person employable. Painting with a broad brush rarely solves complex problems and there are many positive things which can improve the disability system.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum