Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

No to the Keystone XL

+2
2seaoat
Floridatexan
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26No to the Keystone XL - Page 2 Empty Re: No to the Keystone XL 11/11/2014, 12:31 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

PkrBum wrote:It's a more efficient and safer method to transport a valuable resource. If he doesn't pass it... it's probably for buffet.

If you look beneath the surface of the Keystone XL debate, it isn’t hard to see that the opposition to it really has everything to do with climate change, and really little to do with any of the other arguments against it. The “boogey man” is the carbon-intensity of bitumen extraction compared to the carbon-intensity of other hydrocarbon extraction. Bitumen extraction is more carbon-intensive, therefore it is more “dirty,” than other hydrocarbons, even though all oil is black and gooey.

Now, I will admit that much of the bitumen resource is currently mined, which has its own set of environmental concerns, but 80% of the bitumen resource is un-mineable, and must be extracted using other technologies. Mostly, by heating it with steam and then pumping the loosened bitumen to the surface via a wellbore.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

27No to the Keystone XL - Page 2 Empty Re: No to the Keystone XL 11/11/2014, 12:43 pm

I could argue that ethanol production has much more far reaching harm than the bitumen process.

28No to the Keystone XL - Page 2 Empty Re: No to the Keystone XL 11/11/2014, 12:47 pm

And cost to our food

29No to the Keystone XL - Page 2 Empty Re: No to the Keystone XL 11/11/2014, 1:32 pm

I would include that... and it's a poor quality fuel... very hard on older motors.

30No to the Keystone XL - Page 2 Empty Re: No to the Keystone XL 11/11/2014, 2:04 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

PkrBum wrote:I could argue that ethanol production has much more far reaching harm than the bitumen process.

Ethanol production is highly carbon-intensive. Lots of diesel is burned to run the farm-equipment used to produce corn, and the trucks used to haul the corn to the ethanol refineries. Natural gas is used to make the fertilizer spread over the corn fields. Petrochemicals are used to make the pesticides and the very copious amounts of Roundup herbicide sprayed all over the GMO corn used to make into ethanol. You cannot divorce corn-based ethanol from a carbon-intensive footprint or petroleum extraction--that is a fact.

There, I just made your argument for you......

31No to the Keystone XL - Page 2 Empty Re: No to the Keystone XL 11/11/2014, 2:10 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I agree that ethanol is a poor quality fuel and that the cost of production outweighs the utility. As for GMO's and RoundUp...that's another discussion...pure poison from an evil corporation. That's why several countries around the world have banned GMO's.

32No to the Keystone XL - Page 2 Empty Re: No to the Keystone XL 11/11/2014, 2:12 pm

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
PkrBum wrote:I could argue that ethanol production has much more far reaching harm than the bitumen process.

Ethanol production is highly carbon-intensive. Lots of diesel is burned to run the farm-equipment used to produce corn, and the trucks used to haul the corn to the ethanol refineries. Natural gas is used to make the fertilizer spread over the corn fields. Petrochemicals are used to make the pesticides and the very copious amounts of Roundup herbicide sprayed all over the GMO corn used to make into ethanol. You cannot divorce corn-based ethanol from a carbon-intensive footprint or petroleum extraction--that is a fact.

There, I just made your argument for you......

Lol... Thanks. The effect pace mentioned on food prices is adverse as well. The entire boondoggle is flawed.

And recently the subsidy to the corps was renewed... Yea team..!!

33No to the Keystone XL - Page 2 Empty Re: No to the Keystone XL 11/11/2014, 2:14 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

PkrBum wrote:I would include that... and it's a poor quality fuel... very hard on older motors.

Ethanol's poor quality also includes that fact that it takes more energy to produce the ethanol than the refined ethanol itself can deliver.

It sure is a boondoggle for the subsidized corn farmers who have been given the blessing of our benevolent Congress.

34No to the Keystone XL - Page 2 Empty Re: No to the Keystone XL 11/11/2014, 4:19 pm

Sal

Sal

I think it will be approved, but it shouldn't be.

Knothead is correct about the cost/benefit analysis, but that's not the salient point.

This is ....

i) Risk of death, injury, ill-health, or disrupted livelihoods in low-lying coastal zones and small island developing states and other small islands, due to storm surges, coastal flooding, and sea level rise.37 [RFC 1-5]

ii) Risk of severe ill-health and disrupted livelihoods for large urban populations due to inland flooding in some regions.38 [RFC 2 and 3]

iii) Systemic risks due to extreme weather events leading to breakdown of infrastructure networks and critical services such as electricity, water supply, and health and emergency services.39 [RFC 2-4]

iv) Risk of mortality and morbidity during periods of extreme heat, particularly for vulnerable urban populations and those working outdoors in urban or rural areas.40 [RFC 2 and 3]

v) Risk of food insecurity and the breakdown of food systems linked to warming, drought, flooding, and precipitation variability and extremes, particularly for poorer populations in urban and rural settings.41 [RFC 2-4]

vi) Risk of loss of rural livelihoods and income due to insufficient access to drinking and irrigation water and reduced agricultural productivity, particularly for farmers and pastoralists with minimal capital in semi-arid regions.42 [RFC 2 and 3]

vii) Risk of loss of marine and coastal ecosystems, biodiversity, and the ecosystem goods, functions, and services they provide for coastal livelihoods, especially for fishing communities in the tropics and the Arctic.43 [RFC 1, 2, and 4]

viii) Risk of loss of terrestrial and inland water ecosystems, biodiversity, and the ecosystem goods, functions, and services they provide for livelihoods.44 [RFC 1, 3, and 4]

Many key risks constitute particular challenges for the least developed countries and vulnerable communities, given their limited ability to cope.

http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/assessment-report/ar5/wg2/ar5_wgII_spm_en.pdf

Those are the near-term consequences of continuing to pump carbon into the atmosphere at unprecedented rates.

The longer term outlook is even much more dire.

We are literally talking about the world our children and grandchildren will inherit.

35No to the Keystone XL - Page 2 Empty Re: No to the Keystone XL 11/17/2014, 8:06 am

knothead

knothead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtL4WgvlWjo&feature=youtu.be%5Byoutube.com%5D&app=desktop

Hardisty Rail Terminal built to transport the tar sands to the US.
Very interesting . . .

36No to the Keystone XL - Page 2 Empty Re: No to the Keystone XL 11/17/2014, 12:58 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

@1:48

37No to the Keystone XL - Page 2 Empty Re: No to the Keystone XL 11/17/2014, 1:36 pm

knothead

knothead

Floridatexan wrote:

@1:48

Thanks FT, I never learned how to post links of pics and such! LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum